AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-09, 15:54   Link #221
madcircle
Sneaky

Aaaaw, the ending on ep. 5 was so cute, really made me smile...

And I'm still annoyed by Seiko's voice, wish he/she could've just whipped out the adams apple while she were at it and reveal some Barry White qualities...
But I have to admit she got a lot more interesting as a character!
madcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 17:03   Link #222
sola

Wow Ep 5 was a big shocker!
I take back what I said about the cute Seiko.
sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 03:37   Link #223
Itlandm
Porcupine

I notice how the physical difference between the sexes is much less visible in Japan than here in Scandinavia, which may be why they even thought of such a thing in the first place, but I suspect in real life they are used to that so they are also more sensitive to differences. And in Seiko's defense, she probably completely mistook the line about how Otani was no good with females but good with males. You know that could be very easily understood to mean that he was pitching for the other team. If she really meant to fool him, would she have taken her shirt off so soon? Most girls I know don't take off their shirts until things are much further along. (Well, unless copious amounts of alcohol are involved, which they are not if I can help it.)

OK, so I am completely overanalyzing and it is probably just Osaka humor. I liked the way things were turning at the end anyway, but this means we'll get new obstacles for the rest of the series. No happy ending until the last episode, if at all; that's the rule.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 04:25   Link #224
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
I'm a bit worried about the addition of the blonde girl (Haruka was enough). I miss the 'old days' where it was just the two main leads. It seemed much more innocent and sweet then. I hope we don't get too much of an overdose of the two new rivals' "love sickness". =/
It seems that all potential love interests are only important enough for a cliff hanger. And I doubt that this pattern will change since we're already at ep 5 of a (in all probability) one season show and we already have a well-established cast. If anything, Otani's ex will become "dangerous" again. Koizumi's childhood friend(TM) is obviously out of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
And in Seiko's defense, she probably completely mistook the line about how Otani was no good with females but good with males.
Makes one glad Koizumi didn't say that Otani is good with dogs but not with humans.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 04:47   Link #225
madcircle
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Makes one glad Koizumi didn't say that Otani is good with dogs but not with humans.
I bet this is exactly how the anime chicks grew cat ears.

Risa: So Otani likes dogs, hmmm...?
*Risa transforms into a Grand Danois.*

Oh the horror...
madcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 06:01   Link #226
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Well if episode 5 is anything to go by I would say you don't have too much to worry about. It was really quite a good episode IMO. I certainly didn't see that coming. I'll stop at the risk of saying anything too spoilerish.
Quote:
It seems that all potential love interests are only important enough for a cliff hanger. And I doubt that this pattern will change since we're already at ep 5 of a (in all probability) one season show and we already have a well-established cast. If anything, Otani's ex will become "dangerous" again. Koizumi's childhood friend(TM) is obviously out of the game.
Haha, well, it seems episode 5 completely nullified my earlier post. It was such a GREAT episode, even if I was spoiled about Seiko beforehand.

My opinion of every character in that episode increased tenfold.

Otani:
Him approaching Seiko to cheer her up was cool, and how he calmly said how he couldn't be attracted to her. I wasn't sure about Otani at first, but I like him more than other male shoujo leads. He seems more "down to earth" (lol @ pun) than the others. Even though it feels like the basketball element was introduced to add just a little "coolness" to Otani, he is a breath of fresh air compared to the somewhat big headed male shoujo leads I've seen.

Seiko: (I'll refer to "him" as "her) I think her interaction with Risa made me like her more in this episode. I sort of assumed that she'd be vicious towards Risa, which would have somehow made her unbearable. It also surprised me when she said "I'm a girl, but God put me into the wrong body" (Isn't that the definition of transexual?) I don't know, made her feel less "moe trap", if you know what I mean. While her voice is still annoying, I have to admit it that I'm really interested in her "love rival" status now because of her predicament (Well, she was out of the game from the beginning, but not in her eyes =P)

Risa:
I like Risa anyway, but it was good how she stood up for Seiko.

Risa's brown haired friend (forgot her name, sorry): I never usually have an opinion of "supporting friend" types (Well, except the ones in Bokura Ga Ita who were pretty funny), but I found her amusing when she guessed what Seiko was up to in the infirmary. As a side note, I thought that Seiko would turn out to be her sister, judging by the way she behaved in episode 3.

And though LC doesn't make me laugh frequently, I always makes me feel happy =X
Old 2007-05-10, 10:15   Link #227
kauldron26
Med Student

probably the funniest line in an anime on 2007
Otani: now adays so many great things are coming in compact size, cell phones, laptops, mp3 players, and now.... MEEEEEEEE.... the day of the small people has finally come!!

i chocked on my food in this scene... lol... i was rolling....
how bout when otani could switch from regular to supercool in the link of an eye
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 12:50   Link #228
Antigravity

Send a message via AIM to Antigravity
I'll second that remark. It was quite a comical rant.
Antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 14:12   Link #229
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finally got to see ep 5 in subs... I really enjoyed this episode and my estimation of Risa and Otoni grew considerably in their work at accepting Seiko (who's really quite funny in a caffeine-hysterics sort of way). Also a nice window into how the japanese don't suffer from the same sort of baggage as Americans (though they have their own odd bits of baggage in other ways). Maybe one day she can get the mechanical problems worked out

Basically everything Scribble posted for Great Truth....

Otherwise, I really enjoy the choice of dialect for the show. Its just a lot of fun to listen to Risa growl and rant --- I'm going to have to scratch my head now at those noises she was making and figure out if they meant something (some really local dialect???).
Old 2007-05-11, 01:08   Link #230
kauldron26
Med Student

im so excited... could we finally be getting a really good romantic comedy?? could this rival the greatness of Midori no hibi??
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 22:38   Link #231
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
Spoiler:
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 22:45   Link #232
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'm not sure I'd be quite willing to call Midori no Hibi "great". Nonetheless, this is shaping up to be one of the best rom-coms I can remember for a while in anime.

Ep 5.

Sure, the plot twist opened up an entirely new set of themes for this show to explore, a lot of which were handled in this ep, and handled outstandingly, but I think it's a bit of a cop-out that the third wheel possibility has been pretty much completely killed. I thought Seiko was an outstanding third wheel up until that point, though, particularly the whole romantically-spontaneous thing she had going on which is so, so hard to find in anime. Now it's almost (but fortunately not quite) as if she's been relegated to being a device to push Risa and Otani together, by helping Risa overcome her inhibitions.

But I really thoroughly enjoyed this ep. I'm with Scribble, my respect for these characters has also grown in this ep. And, hell, I'm even laughing at the jokes now. That's a sure-fire indication that this show is doing something right.

Stupid likable shoujo romance...

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Now I'm interested in hearing what Sorrow-K has to say about ep 5. He/She was really quite scathing of the show at ep1 but that seemed to turn around with the recent episodes.
He, while we're on the topic of gender ambiguity...

Glad to know people are actually interested in my opinion. And, yes, I was dead wrong about this show after one ep. Just goes to show that one's opinion after the first ep is generally anything but reliable.

Last edited by Sorrow-K; 2007-05-11 at 23:09.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 23:51   Link #233
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's an excellent description --- Stupid likable shoujo romance...

I will be thoroughly unhappy if they don't end on some sort of completion note after the fun and steady buildup.
Old 2007-05-12, 06:04   Link #234
Amalia

Send a message via MSN to Amalia
Haha I am 1.72 me myself....Luckily we have tall boys here and we save the situation... Not that there weren't any short guys that are not drop dead gorgeous but that's another side of the coin. Anyway episode 5 was very good. I liked the fact that Risa finally admitted to herself that she likes Otani and the end of episode 5 was way too sweet and nice.I really like the characters of the story...
Amalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 09:37   Link #235
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Quoted for fun and truth. Actually Otani is not good with every boy, because he doesnt seem to get along so well with Haruka. Does it?

And yeah, ep.5 ending was quite cute, but what really makes me laugh are Koizumi's faces, since the beginning.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 12:17   Link #236
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
Otani don't get along with Haruka because Haruka always call him "chibi"
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 16:05   Link #237
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Send Forbidden Love Flying!

Lisa admits to herself that she indeed loves Otani.
Spoiler:

The only problem I have for Seiko is that (s)he an EVIL TRAP!! Evil Trap

Did Otani try to act cool and forgiving when attempting to keep Seiko on high spirits?
What did he mean that forbidden love is not a bit of trouble? It is a BIG trouble.

And BTW it is Cheer Girl not Cheer "Birl".
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 04:04   Link #238
Mz D

I love this manga and I was so happy to see it's been turned into an anime. I saw that they've skipped past a few subtle hints that the pair are perfect for each other but it's still really enjoyable.

I can't wait to see episode 6.
Spoiler for spoiler:
Mz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 09:15   Link #239
eipu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz D View Post
I love this manga and I was so happy to see it's been turned into an anime. I saw that they've skipped past a few subtle hints that the pair are perfect for each other but it's still really enjoyable.

I can't wait to see episode 6.
Spoiler for spoiler:
woahh..what do you mean Please spoil me some more XD
eipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 12:51   Link #240
7Th
Mixtape

I'm also really liking Seiko's character thus far, (s)he may look like pure comedic relief but the character and his(her) situation is incredibly well handled, subtle yet weirdly deep. Good to see some shows don't resorting to either completely ignoring the implications of homosexuality or making an enormous melodramatic fuss out of it.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance