AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 27.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 19.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 20.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 7.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-09, 06:50   Link #41
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, it needs to figure out its target audience and stick with it. If it's aiming for the CCG crowd, it has to tone down the fanservice imo. If it's aiming for the otaku crowd, it needs to move to a later airing time imo.

The existence of material with censored stuff (drills, smoke, moles) that is being shown to kids is pretty bad especially in a Sunday morning timeslot. The parents should complain imo.
Old 2007-05-09, 10:49   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Anime tells me that all japanese kids live alone

I keep thinking someone at Gainax had this bright idea to try a "PG" piece of material and thought the results are shiny and bright... they fail

So ... if its aimed at pre-teens... and they de-clutter the animation for the DVD ... how do they market to the older teen/adults? The whole thing seems kind of oddly handled.
Old 2007-05-09, 16:17   Link #43
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ 2 versions of the DVD comes to mind XD (though they would be pretty crazy to so something like that O.o) ~ just goes to show that its near impossible to cater for everyone O.o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-09, 20:29   Link #44
orion

I don't think that it's impossible. Gunbuster 2 level prob could have made it at 8 AM. This is past uncensored Abenobashi level imo. That much skin shouldn't be shown at 8 AM imo.

Besides, this was suppose to be about the coming of age of a boy to a hot blooded mecha pilot and whatever lies beyond. At least, that's why I'm watching this. A series loaded with sexual innuendo and skin was not what I signed up for. Mildly sprinkled on is okay.
Old 2007-05-09, 20:52   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Highly entertaining ep, although way too much manservice and not enough fanservice... It's also a bit distressing to see a recap ep this early, even if it is Gainax and thus not a total shock.

I can't quite figure Yoko out. Which one is she after? I'm not sure she knows herself, just yet...
Old 2007-05-09, 20:54   Link #46
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't think that it's impossible. Gunbuster 2 level prob could have made it at 8 AM. This is past uncensored Abenobashi level imo. That much skin shouldn't be shown at 8 AM imo.

Besides, this was suppose to be about the coming of age of a boy to a hot blooded mecha pilot and whatever lies beyond. At least, that's why I'm watching this. A series loaded with sexual innuendo and skin was not what I signed up for. Mildly sprinkled on is okay.
I don't really think so...

Spoiler for Diebuster:
Old 2007-05-09, 22:11   Link #47
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
What? There was nudity in Gunbuster 2.
Old 2007-05-10, 02:21   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its actually kind of amusing how many different factions are intersecting on this series
Old 2007-05-10, 10:32   Link #49
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
was it just me, or was this episode packed with parodies?

I swear i've seen that onsen in "spirited away" the pink hair girl and the dark skinned one, with the circle sticker on her head are from "diebuster: Aim for the Top 2" and as mention before the transvestite from Anbo....

Old 2007-05-10, 12:05   Link #50
terrus

yeah they were self pariodes as all the bunny girls were chacters from Gainax series that Hiroyuki Imaishi has been a part of i.e Diebuster, Abenobashi, Mahromatic (he directed the animation for 1 episode) and even evangelion (he did animation for some episodes although this was either before he devloped his art style or possibly it was repressed due to evangelion's serious nature).
Old 2007-05-10, 14:30   Link #51
rocket
Senior and Demented

Subservient Asuka clone 4teh win!

Seriously. Lots of good cameos. Good action. And what a cliff hanger!
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-10, 14:56   Link #52
Solus

I'm just gonna say that the episode seems like it's patchwork. I don't mind when a series mixes and matches genres, they seriously need some stability in the animation/storyboarding here. Episode 4 was a little crazy and broke the pacing of the series while still managing to maintain coherent plot. Episode 6 was like 70% fanservice, 25% wacky Benny Hill hot springs scenes, and maybe 5% actual plot.

This whole episode seems like it's kinda filler just to get to the big boss fight
Old 2007-05-10, 15:10   Link #53
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus View Post
I'm just gonna say that the episode seems like it's patchwork. I don't mind when a series mixes and matches genres, they seriously need some stability in the animation/storyboarding here. Episode 4 was a little crazy and broke the pacing of the series while still managing to maintain coherent plot. Episode 6 was like 70% fanservice, 25% wacky Benny Hill hot springs scenes, and maybe 5% actual plot.

This whole episode seems like it's kinda filler just to get to the big boss fight
That's what undiluted Imaishi is like... something weird considering he only did KA here rather than storyboard or direction. Watch episode 3 of Abenobashi or Dead Leaves to know what I mean.

DL trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpr1hccE3o
Old 2007-05-10, 19:52   Link #54
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
After I got over the WTF factor, I found this episode to be very enjoyable in a double-over-in-laughter kind of way, but it really seemed to be a bit early to do a humorous "take a break from the story" type of episode, and Rossiu's constant suspicion seemed a bit awkward considering that we've never seen what his personality is like outside of the village setting. And it's DEFINITELY too early for a recap episode.

My guess wasn't that it was filled out with pointless recaps to make up up for footage lost due to being too risque, but that it was actually intended to be the first half of another episode that was, for whatever reason, padded out.
Old 2007-05-10, 21:32   Link #55
dgaaz

the episode just feels...weird. so dam many recaps and the early fight sequence with the rabbit ganmen seems to be missing or cut

oh well at least the last minutes of the episode has some crazy action which salvage this episode somewhat
Old 2007-05-11, 09:38   Link #56
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
I don't really think so...

Spoiler for Diebuster:

Spoiler:

I don't think that there that much lost footage The recap at the beginning felt natural. The recap in the bath area was a little long and it eventually got to the point but maybe the shots of the girls in the bath were out of place with the episode pacing and had to be removed for that reason.

This time slot is aimed at a younger audience. Maybe they need more explanations.
Old 2007-05-11, 17:13   Link #57
Kisuke06
I see...

This episode was a blast!

I think it was too soon for recaps, but this episode was good nonetheless. The fighting at the end of the episode was very good, and it looks like next episode will already start with action!

And gurren-lagann expressions are very good, I start to laugh just looking at it(like in the part were Yoko go topless).
Old 2007-05-11, 19:00   Link #58
Prolific

I gave this episode a 7/10. I look forward to next week's, looks like it'll be action packed.
Old 2007-05-12, 08:46   Link #59
kelvie

Quote:
Well, it needs to figure out its target audience and stick with it. If it's aiming for the CCG crowd, it has to tone down the fanservice imo. If it's aiming for the otaku crowd, it needs to move to a later airing time imo.

The existence of material with censored stuff (drills, smoke, moles) that is being shown to kids is pretty bad especially in a Sunday morning timeslot. The parents should complain imo.
Nudity being shown to minors isn't generally a big deal in anywhere but the United States, whereas it is the completely opposite situation with violence -- it is boggling, exposure to violence is, in my opinion, probably 100 times worse than showing the human body to a child.
Old 2007-05-12, 13:53   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One of the reasons I love wandering around in Victoria or Vancouver .... You can just *sense* the change in attitudes.