AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-07, 08:52   Link #181
HinaThePrince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If it's survivable for Chibi Clare, it's survivable for a Claymore.
a. Chibi Clare didn't get her arm detached
b. The cliff Deneve fell from seemed much taller.
Old 2007-06-07, 09:07   Link #182
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

To be fair to Deneve, Chibi Clare didn't have to deal with the missing arm issue that Deneve had ... Yeah...what Hina said.

And we really can't blame the producer for his storyboards because it is easy to see just where he is getting the storyboard - the manga itself. A lot of the shots are nearly identical to the shots in the manga.

In my opinion, if he wanted to animate the part in Ep 10 when Clare was dodging Six Arms Awakened with a bit more fluidity while Miria had her dialogue going, he could have done away with the blur effect for her dodging and just show her literally sidestepping but have done so in slow-motion and at the same time, keeping Miria's monologue going normal speed.
The showing of the Youki inside Six Arms Awakened, I would have done a little differently myself... But I don't think that he did bad by doing it the way it was done.

It's one of those calls in which does he show exactly what he sees in the manga or does he do something slightly different?
Old 2007-06-07, 10:32   Link #183
Archmagination2002

I just don't like how dark episode 10 was.. it pissed me off!!
Old 2007-06-07, 14:51   Link #184
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinaThePrince View Post
A mere fall into a cliff is a joke to a Claymore, imho...
Old 2007-06-07, 16:05   Link #185
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
In my opinion, if he wanted to animate the part in Ep 10 when Clare was dodging Six Arms Awakened with a bit more fluidity while Miria had her dialogue going, he could have done away with the blur effect for her dodging and just show her literally sidestepping but have done so in slow-motion and at the same time, keeping Miria's monologue going normal speed.
The showing of the Youki inside Six Arms Awakened, I would have done a little differently myself... But I don't think that he did bad by doing it the way it was done.

It's one of those calls in which does he show exactly what he sees in the manga or does he do something slightly different?

Spoiler for Just a few tidbits in a box:
Old 2007-06-07, 16:51   Link #186
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
Everything was plainly open to "see" for Clare at that specific time. Youki reading is also much faster than "sensing" i think. The slightest change in flow has to be recognized, computed and than translated to a dodging reaction at extreme speed.
There are instances where this flow of actions can be disrupted, as we have seen in case of Ophelias battle with Clare.
It's not that youki reading is exactly faster that sight or other senses. Youki reading allows you to see where the youma will move BEFORE the youma actually moves there. That's why it is "faster". It allows the action to be seen before it happens.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-06-07, 16:59   Link #187
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It's not that youki reading is exactly faster that sight or other senses. Youki reading allows you to see where the youma will move BEFORE the youma actually moves there. That's why it is "faster". It allows the action to be seen before it happens.

Absolutely true. Yet, i think it's faster considering in what's involved in the whole process.There are a lot more processes that play together to reach a desired result in case of "reading".
"Sensing" merely observes, "reading" observes and triggers reactions at the same time.

Hmm, this subject is rather fascinating, i may post some thoughts on the biology thread about it.
Old 2007-06-08, 21:55   Link #188
pushpaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinaThePrince View Post

Also didn't little Clare catch onto a branch before falling again. That'll slow her descent down tremendously. She was mostly winded from a lack of water.

On the other hand, Deneve crashed hard from the shock of getting her arm zapped off. I can't remember the anime, but the manga had her look completely blanked-face and suddenly tip over the cliff. Clare at least knew, got alerted when she lost her footing so was ready to reach out for a branch to break her fall.
Old 2007-06-10, 09:38   Link #189
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
I just don't like how dark episode 10 was.. it pissed me off!!
i know what you meen ep. 10 of Claymore i found a disapointment and the funny part about it was that the part in the book is my one of fav. parts in the book
Old 2007-06-11, 07:31   Link #190
Shinen
深淵の者

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Am I the only one who feels that the anime isn't doing the manga enough justice?
It's really quite strange, given how closely the anime is sticking to the manga. You'd think that with most of the storyboarding already done for you, the director (who is he anyway? has he had much experience directing action-anime?) would do a better job, but in my opinion, he is falling short of expectations.
A bit late, but I completely agree. I watched the anime first and my opinion was mostly "yea, it's ok ...". I only really watched it just like that, because of the Fantasy setting and didn't really expect it to be an above average series. Then, I don't really know why, but I decided to take a look at the manga - and I'm happy I did. The manga was a really good read, and a lot more intriguing than the anime. I'm not really sure why, but two things I've realized so far: Like you said, the art, in the manga it looks just so much better, especially the faces, of course an anime cannot always have the same detailed drawings as the manga, but in this case it seems like a big difference to me
Something else are the fights, they work really well on paper, but animated they are quite boring. It might be a question of the budget, but if they animate the fights a bit more fluently it would already have a really different feel imho. When I watched Seirei no Moribito I was like "that is what Claymore should have looked like!" But well, I'll see how the next episodes turn out, I believe that it can still get much better.

By the way, I realized this in a different thread, but this one seems better for a general discussion. I'm really surprised that so many readers have adopted some wrong transcriptions or changed names for some of the characters. Especially "Rubel" or "Ilena" are kinda invented or rather not at all possible spellings of their names in Katakana. It seems really weird to me because usually anime and mangas fans will still always stick to the original names or even use spellings extremely close to the Katakana, even if the original author said how the name should be spelled correctly (thinking of Raito/Light here ), but for Claymore the changed names have been generally accepted
Old 2007-06-11, 08:54   Link #191
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Well it also helps that many of these names are supposed to be europen in origin. It can be impossible to have a western name sound right in Katakana, because their are no solo cosnent sounds, all end in a vowel. Hence light is raito, even if its the term, not a name.
Old 2007-06-11, 11:50   Link #192
SimplyEd
Claytard

@Shinen: About the names, i wholeheartedly agree, but you see that's just as it has always been.
Names/Titles even names of vicinities and towns and whatnot are bastardized in foreign versions on a regular basis. It's not even that the translators were particularly incompetent. Often, such things are being done on request from either side, to accomodate different markets and whatnot.
Often it's being done quite deliberately, without much logic behind the pratise.

Just take a look at what they've done with Gundam Seed, GSD and even the more common "kiddy"/comercial money-jerkers like Pokemon and all the other unholy stuff.
Old 2007-06-15, 09:49   Link #193
zato_1one

Just reading this thread so forgive me.

I honestly feel that the anime is very faithful to manga. I admit that the expression in manga is better than in anime. But not that much...
Quote:
I had much to take issue with viewers' impression of anime Helen's immediate reactions to anime Deneve suddenly getting knocked out of the fight. Going by my impression of the manga, the attack happened so suddenly that all four warriors were left stunned. Manga Helen's immediate reaction, as can be clearly seen from her facial expression, was to jump in and attack in retaliation.

Anime viewers instead get the impression that Helen was being calm and collected, avoiding Priscilla's mistake of going overboard with her emotions. Well, perhaps that was indeed the director's intention, but if that were so, it is to me, a gross misinterpretation of Helen's personality. Helen is supposed to be the most hot-headed of the "Fab Four". Her monotonous reaction in the anime was, to me, totally out-of-character.
In manga, Helen reacted after that awakened spit Deneve's arm. Before that she was just stunning. When that awakened said "That meat tastes bad". This sentence triggered Helen to realize that "I must kill this bastard!"
In anime, it was the same but her expression might not convinced you enough. You might prefer if they drew Helen's eyes and mouth more bigger.
Quote:
The scene where only Miria was left standing was also very poorly acted in my opinion. The intention was for the Awakened Male to teach her "true despair" -- manga Miria's first reaction was to see to the welfare of her fallen comrades, and then counterattack. Her calm determination was very apparent, again through her facial expressions.

Anime Miria, on the other hand, seemed only to be going through motions. Nevermind the fact that the faces were badly drawn again (all blank, no emotions), as has been the case in the previous episode, but even her voice betrayed hardly any sense of concern. Judging by the tone of her voice, it's almost as though the loss of three comrades -- however little she knows about them -- was merely something she sees everyday, ie, it's as though it was no big deal to her.
Nope. You could check at 09:14-09:18 and 09:35-09:40 in Ep.10. Her face clearly showed that she was uneasy. She sweated and her voice was shiver. But when that awakened started to lecture her. It gave her times to clear her head. And she could manage to keep her calm again. I could feel this same expression in both manga and anime.
Quote:
This isn't the first time an episode left me feeling less satisfied than I thought I should have been. Episode 8 was actually another occassion where I felt, "Hmm, strange, I know I should be shocked that Teresa just got killed, but somehow, I feel nothing." That was what eventually pushed me to read the manga. And I was right, the manga depicts the action and the emotions much better than the anime.
Well, I actually love that scene in anime much more than in manga though.

In anime, there is an element that can increase or decrease the tension. It's called BGM. If audiences don't like it then it's may hard to keep level of enjoyment as it should be in manga. Lucky me I like them. It really help me a lot.

I prefer some parts in anime which deviate from manga. In episode10, the one who explained about male Claymore was Ermita instead of Miria. So I could feel that the fighting was still going on while reading the explanation. An innkeeper scene and Miria past were pretty interesting too.

I love both anime and manga. I know Claymore because of anime so I have to give some credits to MADHOUSE. They make the series looks good enough to convince me to read manga. It's one of a few animes which I can really say that it's truly getting better, better and better.

Last edited by zato_1one; 2007-06-16 at 09:56. Reason: miss word. silly me.
Old 2007-06-15, 10:07   Link #194
zetsumei

Quote:
I love both anime and manga. I know Claymore because of anime so I have to give some credits to MADHOUSE. They make the series looks good enough to convince me to read manga. It's one of a few animes which I can really say that it's truly getting better, better and better.
I feel the same way. If the anime stay true to the manga this series is only going to get better and better with each arc. I mean I couldn't stop reading the manga, after I got to volume 6 I couldn't helped myself. After I got through reading all the volumes that was released, I felt like I wanted to read over again. The anime series is awsome and the manga is very addictive and entertaining to read.
Old 2007-06-15, 10:47   Link #195
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I honestly feel that the anime is very faithful to manga. I admit that the expression in manga is better in anime. But not that much...
I agree 100%, I would seriously have loved to have seen some of these peoples reactions if they had watched Samurai Deeper Kyo after reading the manga. Claymores manga to anime adaptation is as good as it gets.. at times it suffers from copying the manga to a fault.
Old 2007-06-17, 06:45   Link #196
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I really liked having Galatea in ep 10 & 11 give more information earlier than she did in the manga. I also liked how some of the explanation of male awakened being was transfered over to her so the fab four and the awakened being weren't standing still during the explanation. I really liked when she realized the battle had switched in the claymores favor.

I liked that we saw more of Miria's history from when she almost awakened, although her friend had a very lame awakened form. Miria's fighting abilities in action were pretty cool. I noticed that they took part of her fight with the male awakened being to use against her friend. I especially like the sound effect with miria's flash step. Also a bigger shot of Ophelia, and the warning about her seemed more clear too.

Galatea's delivery sounded so dry and annoyed when she first started talking to Ermita it was awesome.
Old 2007-06-17, 12:47   Link #197
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

It's interesting what Madhouse is doing with the Anime. First it drops Clare's second job from the first eps. Now in 10 and 11 it's adding (*padding*) with extra (new) material. I'm sure there are going to be some filler eps somewhere. Probably flashback eps. It doesn't look easy to insert something in the tight storyline.
Old 2007-06-17, 12:52   Link #198
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's because these days, you have to fill all kinds of paperwork in triplicate if you want to forgo the hot spring episode. So they said "screw it, we'll just have to make one. Had soap already been invented in the Claymore world?"

More seriously, I don't think they'll need filler eps. The padding's just there to place the cuts in the story at the right places (i.e., at the end of the episode.). They will, however, need to increase the anime episodes / manga chapters ratio a bit, though.
Old 2007-06-17, 13:00   Link #199
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's because these days, you have to fill all kinds of paperwork in triplicate if you want to forgo the hot spring episode. So they said "screw it, we'll just have to make one. Had soap already been invented in the Claymore world?"

There's always that pesky 'steam' effect... ^_^ v
Old 2007-06-17, 13:45   Link #200
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am happy that the gore and blood levels were not toned down seeing Priscilla’s first appearance had gotten me worried I and SimplyEd had speculated they would use shadows or guise of darkness to tone down the graphic scenes. But they haven’t even if I try to find fault with anime I cant . I personally think anime has lived up and done justice to the manga till this point .