AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-01-12, 07:39   Link #201
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Realistically, people never get a clean-slate second chance where they get to repeat their whole life again with their previous memory. What Will got was a golden opportunity to redo his life from a baby. Heck, I can see myself changing my old bad habits & past mistakes if given such opportunity. I can learn more things while I'm still an infant.
I absolutely agree. I mean I don't see myself changing habits or values if I was reborn, I don't have doubt many would.

Quote:
If the said individual regrets his/her previous life deeply, it's not difficult to imagine that s/he can change to any degree s/he wants. And in terms of Will, we don't know how much degree his character changed (it may not be a complete 180). He just needed to not disappoint his current parents and love his life more than his past self. Will's compassion & sensitivity might even be his original character from past life.
I agree with that too. But question isn't if Will would be different person without reincarnation plot, but whether you can write identical Will with identical personality that makes identical choices yet is completely native to world. Answer to it is yes. It wouldn't be same Will, but except choice of his patron nothing would require additional explanation.

Quote:
Also, not every teenager is wiling to keep living in an ancient tomb with undead parents without additional inner drive, you know.
... And really cool grandpa. Eitherway you don't need every teenager. One that is willing is enough. Sometimes very little is needed for happy life.
Old 2022-01-12, 07:52   Link #202
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I agree with that too. But question isn't if Will would be different person without reincarnation plot, but whether you can write identical Will with identical personality that makes identical choices yet is completely native to world. Answer to it is yes. It wouldn't be same Will, but except choice of his patron nothing would require additional explanation.

... And really cool grandpa. Eitherway you don't need every teenager. One that is willing is enough. Sometimes very little is needed for happy life.
Naturally, all kids get distracted, throw tantrums & protest to various degrees. With the reincarnated Will, the story can bypass all that shit and focus on Will's time being properly used for training & preparing him to be a better person in this life. Some of his great skills & quick wit can even be explained by his otherworldly focus on training that's unlike other kids thanks to his adult mind since infant instead of being a "chosen one" like in many other fantasy stories.
Old 2022-01-12, 07:58   Link #203
Tenzen12

Anyone who is raised by three mightiest heroes can be safely considered the chosen one regardless whether they got reincarnated or not...

Edit: but yes being able start learning essential stuff before even walking mak everything easier
Old 2022-01-12, 08:06   Link #204
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Anyone who is raised by three mightiest heroes can be safely considered the chosen one regardless whether they got reincarnated or not...
Eh YMMV. An initial coincidence is fair game IMO.
Old 2022-01-12, 08:24   Link #205
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
You seem to doubt Will's determination to change after being reincarnated, but I don't. It really depends on the individual and how desperate he wants to fix things in this second life.
It's more that I doubt how much good determination can do, just like I doubt claims that willpower is all that's needed to lose weight and keep it off.

Quote:
A good adult who realized that he was reincarnated (should) knows how to behave more instead of throwing tantrum & protest like kids. And in Will's case, he appreciate his situation and the three undeads who took good care of him & doesn't want to disappoint them. A native boy would probably be unsatisfied with his situation and protest more (or even being lazy & skipping his training).
So what if a child has childish moments? You can still raise him into a fine adult.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 09:08   Link #206
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's more that I doubt how much good determination can do, just like I doubt claims that willpower is all that's needed to lose weight and keep it off.
Whaaa.....? How can you doubt people who have successfully lost weight & kept in shape through their willpower of dieting? You can even find well-documented youtube videos of such people.

Quote:
So what if a child has childish moments? You can still raise him into a fine adult.
Fine adult maybe. But Will's skills & knowledge exceeded "fine". I don't think any native-kid has the capacity to keep up with Blood's rigorous training & absorb Gus's extensive knowledge & magic teachings. Why do you think people are in awe of what Will can do?
Old 2022-01-12, 14:33   Link #207
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Whaaa.....? How can you doubt people who have successfully lost weight & kept in shape through their willpower of dieting? You can even find well-documented youtube videos of such people.
(Note that I said lose weight and keep it off.)
I suppose it must happen sometimes, but mostly it doesn't.

Quote:
Fine adult maybe. But Will's skills & knowledge exceeded "fine". I don't think any native-kid has the capacity to keep up with Blood's rigorous training & absorb Gus's extensive knowledge & magic teachings. Why do you think people are in awe of what Will can do?
So what? People are in awe of what Lebron James (or whichever sportsman is more current) can do, too. More importantly, why do you think being isekaied, with already a full life of not training or studying that hard, would be helpful? Aside from the fact that most isekai stories are power fantasies where the MC, who was average joe on Earth, becomes some kind of OP genius once brought to another world, of course.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 14:43   Link #208
Rasty

Just being thrown into a new environment can drastically change person's personality. There is a difference between how high-schooler, university student and working adult behave (even if the age difference is just half a year). If we throw in 3 capable "parents" and his initial determination, it's not so hard to think he would change a lot.

Also, as was written in one of my secretly liked books, people act according to how people around them expect them to act. It's not easy to slip out of the "model good kid" if all the people around you are expecting you to behave like one.

I disagree that you can get the same personality with a native. Will's main motivation to become "Gracefield's sword" and fight against Stagnate is his experience from his previous life of permanent "stagnation" and how that differs from real life + wishing to accomplish something in this life. Without this motivation, his motives would be pretty hollow and his happiness from helping others would seem pretty hypocritical without his previous life experiences.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 14:43   Link #209
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
(Note that I said lose weight and keep it off.)
I suppose it must happen sometimes, but mostly it doesn't..
Since this is an anime forum, I'll give you a relevant example: You can look for anime-tuber called BennetTheSage channel. He made a video of his successful diet and pretty much kept his after-diet shape more or less. He's still uploading anime reviews on his channel.

Quote:
So what? People are in awe of what Lebron James (or whichever sportsman is more current) can do, too. More importantly, why do you think being isekaied, with already a full life of not training or studying that hard, would be helpful? Aside from the fact that most isekai stories are power fantasies where the MC, who was average joe on Earth, becomes some kind of OP genius once brought to another world, of course.
I said being an incarnation gave Will a lot more focus & determination since infant and that contributes a lot to his growth. Something that natives of that world don't have. An adult mind in a child body can take you places if you use it wisely (which Will more or less did). How much clearer do I have to make myself?

Will being an adult in a child's body is a better way to give your MC an advantage than the archaic "chosen one" with inherent special body or power in a fantasy setting. The point of the anime is to make Will exceptional on a whole 'nother level than "just" Lebron James.
Old 2022-01-13, 10:54   Link #210
Dark Wing

Second Season Announced!

https://nicchiban.nichegamer.com/the...n-2-announced/
Old 2022-01-13, 11:39   Link #211
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

It was annonced a couple of weeks ago already.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 15:59   Link #212
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
It was annonced a couple of weeks ago already.
Oh missed that. Still Yay 2nd Season.