Notices

Old 2014-01-17, 14:43   Link #221
Preacher

http://www.japantoday.com/category/l...e-of-akihabara
Old 2014-01-17, 15:18   Link #222
JohnNiles

Whew, that was quite a ride.

Spoiler for Spoilers for Episode 2:

Crunchyroll is letting me down. I can't get through the episode without it stuttering.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 16:05   Link #223
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Seeing pure rage of Idol otaku on 4chan and 2chan i am inclined to think that WUG is the new "Otaku no Video". A mirror show to the people and people not liking that reflection....
Half or more of all posts in the main 2channel threads are negative, and there is also a much larger than usual number of specifically anti- threads for this show. I'm not seeing rage, exactly, but it's probably in there being sublimated into criticism of the seiyuu voices, the animation, the director's incompetence, etc.

However, this show seems to be by far the most posted-about of the season, on its 23rd thousand-post thread already. And there are also seven anti- threads. How that will translate into sales is problematic, but at least the show is in people's minds.

As for the episode itself, I agree with Utsuro no Hako that it was about as uncomfortable an anime episode as I've seen. But we exited from the worst of the problem pretty quickly, and Tange returned (thanks to a truly Dickensian coincidence) to right the ship.

I was impatient with the first half of the episode, perhaps wanting the girls to escape as soon as possible. But by the end I realized that I had been treated to an excellent episode of anime.

Just for the record, I disagree with the passionate attacks on the seiyuus' voices. They are far from professional, but they also actually do get the characters' feelings across.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 16:22   Link #224
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well... the realistic approach went down to the drain, thanks to how things were handled with Suda and Tange.
I'm all good to explore the "dark side" of the industry, but if it requires character stupidity for such occurence, that's a no go.

And while the production values aren't flying high either (if anything, yamakan twitter comment is a huge death flag, even), it is still quite troublesome to keep track of the girls, when only very few of them are properly developped.

They better do something pronto for ep3.
Old 2014-01-17, 16:23   Link #225
cyth
Banned

I like the voices, more importantly, I liked this episode! Yeah, the animation sucks, but that last bit with Miyu, after the depressing first half, was pretty awesome. Got me all teary.

Last edited by cyth; 2014-01-17 at 16:30. Reason: name change!
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 16:27   Link #226
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I was impatient with the first half of the episode, perhaps wanting the girls to escape as soon as possible. But by the end I realized that I had been treated to an excellent episode of anime.
I felt the same, so much so that I kinda wanted to fast-forward the whole thing.

But my problem with the show is Mayu actually. She's supposed to be the lead, right? But she's way too quiet. She's like one of those characters who lacks presence (like the guy from Mikakunin ) and while that may work for a supporting character, it definitely doesn't for the lead. The lead needs enough personality to carry the show and Mayu just doesn't have it in her imo.

That's why I think the show is bit all over the place. It lacks focus and a clear point of view.
Old 2014-01-17, 16:34   Link #227
cyth
Banned

I disagree about Mayu. While watching the first episode (before I even watched the movie), she stood out the most to me, while I was struggling to pick everyone apart. I'm thinking stronger animation (with more nuances) might have been more convincing, but this is standard Yamakan - ambitious with what he wants to portray, just no budget/experienced team to do it.
Old 2014-01-17, 16:43   Link #228
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I disagree about Mayu. While watching the first episode (before I even watched the movie), she stood out the most to me, while I was struggling to pick everyone apart.
She had a little more presence in the first episode, yes, but in the second she was basically invisible till the end when she reappeared to deliver that one line. There should be more focus on her than this.
Old 2014-01-17, 16:46   Link #229
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Well... the realistic approach went down the drain, thanks to how things were handled with Suda and Tange.
I'm all good to explore the "dark side" of the industry, but if it requires character stupidity for such occurence, that's a no go.
I have to agree. I know Matsuda is supposed to be naive but there wasn't anything particularly clever about how Sudo went about manipulating him. Matsuda hires this guy out of nowhere and lets him handle everything from pay to job contracts without so much as a background check. I could maybe tolerate it if Matsuda was amazingly impressed by Sudo's credentials but I don't recall seeing anything like that happen.

And then they all prove that they haven't learnt a damn thing by letting Tange take control again...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 16:55   Link #230
wontaek

As I said in previous post here, Matsuda and Mayu are the 2 characters that needs to step up in order to make this series work. Matsuda's incompetence is becoming unrealistic, which isn't a good thing.
Old 2014-01-17, 17:05   Link #231
aiuewatcher
The Eternal Newbie

I don't complain about the story, but I'm rather discontented with MC's acting. Although I know this show is not only a anime but also a coming-of-age tale of the VAs themselves.
aiuewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 17:17   Link #232
Preacher

Note the l-1 Club (H Club) Manager at the end of episode

Spoiler for Manager:
Old 2014-01-17, 17:20   Link #233
cyth
Banned

About Matsuda's incompetence, I don't find it that unrealistic. Wasn't he a former band member? His profile doesn't strike me as one of a smartie, is all I'm saying. I once read an article about visual-kei groups and how the "smarter" former band members form their own (minor) labels, go on to become producers and so on and so forth. I guess we can take Matsuda as an example of what happens to the rest that want to stay in the business. He's good-willing, most definitely naive, but also pretty dumb.

What I'd complain about, if I were to nitpick, was how easy Tange managed to regain control of the group. Just a knock on the head and everything goes back to normal? I don't think real life works that way.
Old 2014-01-17, 18:07   Link #234
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode made cringe so much. The realism flew right out of the window. At first I was disappointed and angry Tange came back just like that (how the hell? She embezzled all the funds of the company, which was a big enough deal it was on the news... and yet they welcome her back and she starts getting jobs for the girls as if nothing ever happened. The fuck?) but ultimately, it's probably a good thing for the show. Watching Matsuda being an incompetent retard is neither fun nor interesting. Worst manager ever. The scene with Miyu was nice, but it wasn't enough to save this terrible episode.
Old 2014-01-17, 18:11   Link #235
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This episode made cringe so much. The realism flew right out of the window. At first I was disappointed and angry Tange came back just like that (how the hell? She embezzled all the funds of the company, which was a big enough deal it was on the news... and yet they welcome her back and she starts getting jobs for the girls as if nothing ever happened. The fuck?) but ultimately, it's probably a good thing for the show. Watching Matsuda being an incompetent retard is neither fun nor interesting. Worst manager ever. The scene with Miyu was nice, but it wasn't enough to save this terrible episode.
Actually, I don't think the news report was talking about Tange. It was just another news report about a generic embezzlement. The channel he changed to had another news report about a company guy committing suicide because of the debt, so it's completely unrelated. He just didn't want to be reminded of Tange leaving him with all the debt and responsibilities, that's why he changed the channels.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 18:12   Link #236
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Just for a bit of reality, here is a jpg from the most recent thread for this show on 2channel. It purports to show scenes from a bus trip with a seiyuu to an onsen. This kind of thing is offered from time to time. I'm not sure who the seiyuu is. It might even be Gotou Saori. In the last frame, the caption is: "I want to go home."
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 18:23   Link #237
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Actually, I don't think the news report was talking about Tange. It was just another news report about a generic embezzlement. The channel he changed to had another news report about a company guy committing suicide because of the debt, so it's completely unrelated. He just didn't want to be reminded of Tange leaving him with all the debt and responsibilities, that's why he changed the channels.
Oh, my bad. I still think her return is bullshit nonetheless.
Old 2014-01-17, 19:03   Link #238
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Looks like this series is gonna be the Aku no Hana of idol anime, in a bad way.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 19:17   Link #239
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Looks like this series is gonna be the Aku no Hana of idol anime, in a bad way.
Why in a bad way? The episode was definitely uncomfortable, but it was okay. It seemed to accomplish what they were aiming for.
Old 2014-01-17, 19:28   Link #240
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Hell, I turned cold the moment I saw the screenshots from the episode again.
But there's a masochistic part of me who wants to watch the series because I wanted to see how it crumbles down in the end.

Basically, I'm only watching this for Yamakan drama.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idol industry, idols, yamakan