AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-09-13, 08:35   Link #241
palpatin

My parents aren't interested in anime in any way, and I'm quite sure that it's utterly impossible to get them interested...
palpatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 11:29   Link #242
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

The anime my parents watch? Shin-chan! They found it cute, that's why
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 14:44   Link #243
menuwa
Game Addict

Send a message via MSN to menuwa
Nope
My parents think it's childish, even the gore-ish ones . . .

but they don't really care o_O
menuwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 15:18   Link #244
Nita
Ņe~

Heh, my mom keeps refering to anime like "that chinese cartoons" or "diabolic". Its funny to hear her sometimes.

My dad.. eh.. "that thing you watch" something like that ^^;

Though they both watched "Heidi" when they were little XD

Watcha lookin'?
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 15:43   Link #245
StefDeathNote

Oooh yeah! My mom used to watch Nana with me, but sadly, she hates Death Note... XD
My dad... doesn't know what's an anime at all XD
StefDeathNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 13:34   Link #246
raito20

I got my mom to watch Mononoke-Hime and she loved it, but she never watched any other anime.
raito20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 23:54   Link #247
blewin

yes, if I manage to get Chinese dub for them. It's a shame really, since so many above-average animes are in subtitles rather than dub.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 01:10   Link #248
Xacual

I've actually got my parents to watch some shows that I thought were really good or that I specifically thought they'd enjoy. Usually these are comedies though and not really serious stuff, though I did show my step-dad some episodes of Darker Than Black a while back and he thought it was pretty good.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 01:23   Link #249
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raito20 View Post
I got my mom to watch Mononoke-Hime and she loved it, but she never watched any other anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I've actually got my parents to watch some shows that I thought were really good or that I specifically thought they'd enjoy. Usually these are comedies though and not really serious stuff, though I did show my step-dad some episodes of Darker Than Black a while back and he thought it was pretty good.
Shows that your parents might enjoy

To that list I might add
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Chi's Sweet Home
Claymore
Monster
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Parents who like sci-fi might want to watch
Dennou Coil
Eden of the East
Noein
Planetes
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 02:50   Link #250
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
My parents being both Korean and being immigrants have some levels of anti-Japanese sentiment. I think my grandparents on my dad's side are very anti-Japanese though, so the source may come from that.

Fortunately it isn't that severe, as they will still buy, eat and use Japanese products, items and food without much thought. When it comes to media though they are a bit nationalistic. They will usually refuse to watch anything Japanese. It's either what's on TV or K-dramas for them.

Personally, I watch anything that is "good" in my eyes and that would be anime, K-dramas, and selective movies and TV series (keyword being "selective"). I know a lot of people like J-dramas and a some people even prefer them over K-dramas stating that J-dramas often have more variety in plot/story whilst K-dramas tend to stick with their "bawfest" cliche romance dramas, but I honestly can't stand Japanese actors - it's as if they are done by high-schoolers.

Back on topic, I did manage to get my mom to watch 5cm per second the other day and she said it was ok. It was english dubbed though... and she didn't even realise 5cm was a Japanese animated film until the last third when that "one more time" song started playing
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 04:12   Link #251
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

I won't say "they do", but they can watch and enjoy animes. In fact they were the ones who put me watching animes in the first place. Old classics such as Jungle Emperor Leo, Lady Oscar, Ulysse 31, Cobra, Saint Seiya, Daimos, Candy Candy, Cat's Eyes, Harlock that were trusting French TV back to the 80's, I liked those thanks to them...

They still do enjoy to watch them as well as modern animes, as long as the story is not "anime fan based", not that complicated (so no room for Satoshi Kon's twist ones, Evangelion, Eden, Monster) and entertaining. So they are more to like (and they did) Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Wolf's Rain, Twelve Kingdoms, X or movies like Mononoke, Metropolis.
And my mother really loved Portrait de Cossette.

Maybe I should advice them series like Chevalier d'Eon, Gankutsuou, Moribito or Last Exile.
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 00:14   Link #252
Mashed

Not at all.

I remember when I was watching Inuyasha, my mum would call it yashiyoshi, or something like that. xD My dad has no interest in ever watching it.
Mashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 03:27   Link #253
Kamiyama_Satoru

I sometimes have the impression my mother loves anime more then me XD Her favorite ones are YuYu Hakusho and InuYasha, she has a big crush for Kurama, lol XDD
But yeah, my mom loves anime! My father is not so into it... He actually hates anime and japanese music and all that has to do with Japan in any way >.>" I sometimes even argue with him about it cause he sometimes says bad stuff about Japan and he really hits a big weak point there.
I have a friend who's parents don't let her watch anime, they say is evil O_o .... Some people really have issues XD But anyway, I am happy my mom understand me ^.^
Kamiyama_Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 13:04   Link #254
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiyama_Satoru View Post
she has a big crush for Kurama, lol XDD
Hahaha, mine was crazy about Shaka, Shiryu and Saga (she is Gemini) in Saint Seiya and the "zetsuboshita"-like reaction Saga had to fight Shaka was priceless in the Hades Chapter was priceless
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 23:48   Link #255
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

My Mom loves Fruits Basket, Tsubasa Chronicles, Spiral, .Hack/Sign, and every Friday we watch Reborn together on crunchyroll. My Dad he watched Zeta Gundam with me and he actually begged to watch more of it since my Dad loves sci-fi spacy stuff he also loves old Japanese monster movies like Gamera, Godzilla,etc....I just know he'll love Code Geass, Gundam 00, Gundam Seed etc...

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 21:55   Link #256
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Parents and anime don't mix....all they ever do is insult your hobby as "being a bad influence," "makes you dumb" or "stupid"
Old 2010-04-26, 00:31   Link #257
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

My mom refers to anime as cartoons, so no. She's not to fond of it and I know that when she sees me watching it she's judging me, but oh well. I have the feeling if she wasn't so close-minded on the subject that she'd probably actually like it, but my mother is a woman of routine and somethings never change; this being one them.
Old 2010-04-26, 11:58   Link #258
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Parents and anime don't mix....all they ever do is insult your hobby as "being a bad influence," "makes you dumb" or "stupid"
Nice sweeping generalization there.... not. Certainly *some* do... but then so do *some* teenagers.
Old 2010-04-26, 12:09   Link #259
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I think it depends. My parents (especially my dad) have definitely said a couple times that they really wish I'd drop my "hobby", but when I watch anime at home they'll show interest in it and stay to watch it if it hooks them; and even if not, just to spend time with me.
Old 2010-04-26, 12:11   Link #260
hinakatbklyn

Not only would they say not interested at all, they say I watch too much.