AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-18, 16:02   Link #21
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Ken Akamatsu is a work in progress, if you read from A.I. love you, then Love Hina and on to Negima, not only does his art improve (noticeably) but so does the story, that having been said I do agree that he has a habit of getting off track, and continuing a story long past the time it should have finished. Though that hardly makes him unique among Mangaka and at least his art is better than most.
Old 2007-02-26, 05:01   Link #22
Umaibo

INUYASHA! Will they just end the damn thing already?! =p

Same to Naruto. The story is linear if you pay close attention to the details and I hope it ends soon.

Hunter x Hunter has a similar slow storyline as Naruto and the author has been on a break for 1+ year!! But the plot is interesting enough that I do not mind the slow story.
Old 2007-02-26, 13:12   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I don't know why, but Claymore really annoyed me for some reason. I don't think I like Claire at all. She might as well have been a brick wall in the promo chapter I saw in U.S Shonen Jump Monthly so I never pursued the series in any way. I don't even think I finished the promo.
Old 2007-02-27, 06:06   Link #24
Morganchan
Gero?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
Flamed as I may be, I could not get myself into Fruits Basket. The character designs were too similar for my taste; I found myself having to backtrack when I realized that I thought X said this when it was actually Y. I also felt at the time like too many characters were introduced too quickly, but I've read other mangas that have the same problem yet I have no problem telling them apart.
Ahh, me too, me too! I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't get into it Lots of my schoolfriends were reading it, so I guess I was kind of obliged to borrow it.

I found it was really tricky to read, because you can't really get into the pacing of it. Lots of the dialogue... ...is painfully spaced... ...all over the page... ...just like this! And in my head, that translates to characters speaking/thinking with strange, awkward pauses.

I wasn't a fan of the art style, either, and that's a large part of my enjoyment factor. Never got into the type of shojo art where everyone has really pointy chins, wispy hair and thin features.
Old 2007-02-28, 15:34   Link #25
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by usopsama View Post
INUYASHA! Will they just end the damn thing already?! =p
i agree on that one, also like to add the Gunam Seed Destiny manga, dont remember which one but it was baad... 10 episodes ripped in one volume wtf o.o;
(however GSD The Edge is much beter and was beter drawn)
Old 2007-02-28, 15:38   Link #26
piccu

Not worth reading:
Ichigo Channel - ugly drawing, boring story
Lovely Complex - stereotypicaly boring
Old 2007-02-28, 15:48   Link #27
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Quote:
Dont judge a manga by a chapter. And being "really annoyed" only makes you seem shallow/uncontrolled.
I know I am not a moderator but when I created the thread I asked everyone not to flame and it has gone ok so far. If you disagree with someone say why instead of slinging insults, please.
Old 2007-02-28, 16:41   Link #28
chrno_the_sinner

Apparently it gets better, but the first volume of Ghost Hunt made me regret spending money on it. The pacing was absolutlely everywhere. The anime (from the first ep I saw) improved the pacing a lot.
Old 2007-03-03, 15:01   Link #29
Shalron

Send a message via AIM to Shalron Send a message via MSN to Shalron
I love Akamatsu's work personally, he's my favourite...(artist or author???) NEGIMA! being his third manga, in my opinion is his best. I didn't really like AI Love you, it seemed too kiddy... But Love Hina was the manga that got me into reading them. I personally think the storylines are great, but hey, each to his (or her) own.

A manga i dont really hate, just think is wierd would be School Rumble... Its completely odd to me, and i find it difficult to grasp how that tough punk guy has a massive crush on the ditsiest, most forgetful girl in the class... And the guy who she fancies is oblivious to her entirely @_@
Old 2007-03-04, 01:46   Link #30
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a flame war and get locked up, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

I'm not much of a manga reader, but there is a specific genre I tend to avoid. That genre is shounen action.

I've skimmed a hundred or so chapters of Bleach, and I then stopped. I've tried some other shounen action manga and anime before and they share these characteristics that I don't enjoy:
1. Drawn out storyline coupled with poor pacing (minimum action progression chapter/episode)
2. Lots of sidetracking
3. No end in sight

This can be applied to some of Rumiko Takahashi's productions as well. I'm a short and sweet kind of guy, but it's also about economics. I don't want to be spending a whole lot of money on a large number of volumes of a single manga series which may or may not go anywhere.

What else... I also hate stalled manga. Like TOKKO. That manga looked great, but I don't think there's been a release since Volume... 3? I don't know if it's been cancelled either, oh well.

I guess my biggest gripe are stories that I feel go on for too long.

Shortlist of manga I didn't enjoy:
Ichigo 100% (Had promise, got flushed down the toilet)
Air Gear
Suzuka
Ecole du Ciel (Gundam manga)
I''s
School Rumble
Old 2007-03-05, 22:22   Link #31
Keirn

I don't know why you guys don't like Ichigo 100%. I loved it. (although I've only read 4 mangas, I'm comparing it to animes I've seen) and I thought it was pretty good.
Old 2007-03-08, 07:37   Link #32
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirn View Post
I don't know why you guys don't like Ichigo 100%. I loved it. (although I've only read 4 mangas, I'm comparing it to animes I've seen) and I thought it was pretty good.
It was good, it's just that the last few volumes where just crap, boring and pointless and the ending left most people wtf why? It's just way to draggy. Honestly the start was good, but it wasn't anything special either. It lacked good comedy and romance.
Old 2007-03-11, 15:12   Link #33
Winchester

Well, I can't say this for absolutely certain since I've actually only read one chapter of this, but from anime experience MAR is one of those stories I wish I could have the hours I spent watching it back. It showed some excellent promise at the beginning, with a cool world in dire need of exploring, and some interesting characters - and then once the whole gang was assembled and I think it's time to go adventuring, it turns out that the bad guys have to be fought in a tournament, the length of which is never announced. *bleeeeeeeeeep*.

By contrast, I love highschool sports manga - H2 was fantastic, and I adore Eyeshield 21 (wish I could find the manga - and that Saizen could catch up on their anime releases).

SP
Old 2007-03-13, 08:12   Link #34
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I've read I''s and I think Ichigo 100% was better ... manga not worth reading are most yaoi manga - but I'm a guy, and that's that.
Old 2007-03-13, 12:12   Link #35
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I"s...ugh...I hated that manga, with a whiny char. who keeps whining. It's like he wouldn't shut up throughout the ENTIRE manga...

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2007-03-13, 13:18   Link #36
Boris Moskovitz
(-.-)

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
I"s isn't that bad (IMO). Though definitely on the whiny side, Ichitaka is no Shinji Ikari.

The only gripe I had with the series is how it feels as though it's dragging on. As in, the progression of Ichitaka and Iori's relationship really starts to gradually feel like Wile Coyote's attempts chasing the Road Runner; there's little sign of anyone going anywhere. It only actually starts picking up around volume 10-12 or so.

Thankfully, the series managed to conclude within 15 volumes. And the ending was, surprisingly, a pretty good one. When I say surprisingly, it's because the author's previous works (Video Girl Ai and DNA^2) had some of the worst endings I've seen.
Old 2007-03-14, 12:29   Link #37
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Tramps like us : wtf...T_T..glad I didnt buy it..just looked in the book
Old 2007-03-16, 07:23   Link #38
patnam

Death Note and Naruto......
Old 2007-03-16, 07:27   Link #39
toru daito

i dont know I's is good or bad(just starting to read),but the drawing style the character is great!

Ichigo 100%: great drawing,good opening,BAD ending (for me)

Suzuka:good drawing,the plot is a little pointless

School rumble:good drawing,great romance comedy story..LIKE It

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (CLAMP):
not interesting,dont understand the plot,dont like the drawing style..
Old 2007-03-16, 10:42   Link #40
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Death Note... first half was good... After the L VS Raito arc Death Note just plain sucked...

Ichigo 100%... Ending sucked... The ending would've been fine if the author didnt drag it for so long while heavily hinting an aya ending =/.

complex(shoujo)... Didnt like the story...

Violenist of Hameln... The first volume was bad... turned out good midway... got draggy by 20+ volumes

hmm... I"S wasnt that bad. the main character was sort of believable IMHO. And, you get to see him grow throughout the manga.

Last edited by nadare; 2007-04-10 at 05:22.
Closed Thread