Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-03-04, 00:21   Link #1101
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

so Serie raised Flamme out of whim
Flamme raised Frieren so she can beat demon king one day
and Frieren raised Fern so one day human can beat elf?

Pretty interesting I would say

*also so many familiar faces in this thread. I'm happy*
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-04, 01:13   Link #1102
Greenish Growth

In rewatching the episode, I must say that I missed seeing some of Serie's expressions because I concentrated on reading the subtitles.

If I didn't read subtitles, I would have caught and felt the weight of more things during her scenes.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-04, 03:27   Link #1103
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Probably the reason there are less Mages in the current era is because it's peaceful, there would be more active mages during times of war.
Even and especially in peacetime, there should be plenty of demand for mages able to cast "improve the harvest" spells. Or "make a very hot fire for the furnace" spells. Or countless other applications of magic.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-04, 05:27   Link #1104
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Even and especially in peacetime, there should be plenty of demand for mages able to cast "improve the harvest" spells. Or "make a very hot fire for the furnace" spells. Or countless other applications of magic.
Every small village or town seems to have a few old grimoires lying around and sometimes there's even a weird magic shop hidden in a back street. Frieren seems to end up finding such treasures in the most remote places.

I suspect there are a lot of minor magic users, the sort that can cast those sorts of hedge-spells and home-spells but making a living as a mage, being acknowledged as a mage proper by the Continental Mage Association requires study and dedication to magic as a lifelong career.

First Class Mage candidate Richter's day job is running a magic shop in Äußerst. I can't see that being a viable commercial proposition if there are so few mages around unless there are many other non-mages who can use magic to some extent. Of course Äußerst is the home of the Association but most mages don't spend a lot of time there.
Old 2024-03-04, 06:11   Link #1105
TURI123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Every small village or town seems to have a few old grimoires lying around and sometimes there's even a weird magic shop hidden in a back street. Frieren seems to end up finding such treasures in the most remote places.

I suspect there are a lot of minor magic users, the sort that can cast those sorts of hedge-spells and home-spells but making a living as a mage, being acknowledged as a mage proper by the Continental Mage Association requires study and dedication to magic as a lifelong career.

First Class Mage candidate Richter's day job is running a magic shop in Äußerst. I can't see that being a viable commercial proposition if there are so few mages around unless there are many other non-mages who can use magic to some extent. Of course Äußerst is the home of the Association but most mages don't spend a lot of time there.
From what it seems Richter fixes day-to-day magical items like light bubbles and other stuff that are used by people in their daily lives and also sells Magical items (maybe those day-to-day items) it's not very different from a seller that he also a fix man who does some kind of a small task of fix the items that he sells.
About the part of the magic users, it seems if someone has a grimoire with him, he can use magic at least one kind of magic (we already saw people that use magic even though they are not mages), what are those grimoires and how do they work it is something that we don't know.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-04, 17:03   Link #1106
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Magic items are not the same as mage equipment. He was fixing a lamp for an old lady the other day, so his customers are not limited to just mages.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-05, 04:11   Link #1107
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
In rewatching the episode, I must say that I missed seeing some of Serie's expressions because I concentrated on reading the subtitles.

If I didn't read subtitles, I would have caught and felt the weight of more things during her scenes.
I'd say this is a pretty recurring theme throughout the whole series, actually. Obviously there's a lot of very obvious comic expression scenes here and there (Frieren's silly faces, Fern's pouting, etc.), but they also put a lot of effort into the more subtle expressions. This is particularly noteworthy because a lot of the time Frieren and Fern almost seem stonelike and unexpressive, so this little bit of nuance when their mood changes is really significant; I'd say actually they're not unexpressive at all, just you have to look a bit more closely. The voice actors also do a good job of picking up in this nuance in the voice as well, though, so even if you're not looking up at the time you can also pick up a hint in the voice.

Serie is definitely one of those hard-to-read people, though, because she plays the part of this stubborn cold-hearted warrior, which she no doubt is, but there's definitely something else there that she won't publicly admit, and is probably why Flamme knew she'd eventually relent despite being initially dismissive. I think she cares a lot more for people and the fate of the world than she says; sort of a "stern cranky master who actually cares for her disciples deep down" vibe. Definitely the way she spoke about Flamme as a child, despite dismissing it as a whim and all the rest, wasn't actually cold at all. I think even Frieren picked up on that. Be the weight of millennia of human lives that come and go as a flicker will weigh down on a caring person, so perhaps that's why she's adopted that sort of stance.
Old 2024-03-05, 06:06   Link #1108
nojay
Scanlator

Three-way crossover fan anime short, all your favourite anime girls this season...

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2024-03-06, 04:55   Link #1109
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Serie is definitely one of those hard-to-read people, though, because she plays the part of this stubborn cold-hearted warrior, which she no doubt is, but there's definitely something else there that she won't publicly admit, and is probably why Flamme knew she'd eventually relent despite being initially dismissive. I think she cares a lot more for people and the fate of the world than she says; sort of a "stern cranky master who actually cares for her disciples deep down" vibe. Definitely the way she spoke about Flamme as a child, despite dismissing it as a whim and all the rest, wasn't actually cold at all. I think even Frieren picked up on that. Be the weight of millennia of human lives that come and go as a flicker will weigh down on a caring person, so perhaps that's why she's adopted that sort of stance.
I hadn't considered this before, but I almost wonder if the reason she stepped in to take control of the mage association was because people were just not becoming mages anymore and she felt like Flamme's dream was slipping away? Like, sure, the number of mages is down (per Frieren), but maybe before Serie stepped in they were down even more and her policies have actually rekindled things a bit. At the very least, we know the quality/potency of mages has gone up since she took control by enticing people with the reward if they reach First Class, but maybe the same could be said for quantity too.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-07, 01:55   Link #1110
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I hadn't considered this before, but I almost wonder if the reason she stepped in to take control of the mage association was because people were just not becoming mages anymore and she felt like Flamme's dream was slipping away? Like, sure, the number of mages is down (per Frieren), but maybe before Serie stepped in they were down even more and her policies have actually rekindled things a bit. At the very least, we know the quality/potency of mages has gone up since she took control by enticing people with the reward if they reach First Class, but maybe the same could be said for quantity too.
Honestly, that's very possible and would be extremely in character. In a world of war (that Serie comes from), humans need skilled mages to help turn the tide. But in an era of peace (that Frieren represents), most humans only use "casual" magic (for convenience) and don't really push themselves. But Serie knows that demons aren't extinct and war with demons is something they must always be prepared for, so perhaps that is why she is using this as a sort of incentive -- to push humanity to keep on at least having some skilled mages when the time comes, even if she basically has to bribe them to do it. Pardon the pun, but it's a way of "keeping the flame alive" and also bridging the gap between her worldview and Frieren's. (Honestly, though, I think that choice of name was probably literally due to this kind of pun, just like many of the other names; she was the Flame of humanity's hope in using magic. Of course she also had red hair because let's not be subtle. )
Old 2024-03-07, 04:42   Link #1111
magnuskn

YouTube

Seems Fern did not one-shot clone Frieren.
Old 2024-03-07, 14:21   Link #1112
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
YouTube

Seems Fern did not one-shot clone Frieren.
Frieren wouldn't be the threat she is if the fight was going to be over that fast.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-08, 10:27   Link #1113
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 26:

did not expect Ubel can easily kill Sense clone. She also totally destroyed that first class mage guy from years ago. lol

Sense has a cute smile.

Frieren reward is a gold mimic. She still can't resist. xD
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-08, 11:31   Link #1114
Frontier

Frieren and her clone (and Madhouse) are basically flexing their strongest magic (and animations) against each other but it's not enough to give Fern the opening she needs to take the clone down .

Meanwhile the rest of the group is engaging their clones in a battle of strategy and attrition...but it's cute how the Kanne and Lawine clones are together! And of course Lawine and Richter are paired up, Richter gets to kill Lawine while Lawine kills Kanne. I guess that makes sense !

Of course then the replica Sense comes in like a horror movie monster and immediately pierces Richter and Lawine...really sucks they had to give up, but there was no other way out for them .

Brave of Denken to be willing to solo Sense even knowing he didn't have a chance, but it's Ubel's moment to step up. She'd been wanting to give Sense a haircut ever since they first met, after all, and if she believes she can cut it...she can .

Poor Burg. Dude wore an immovable cloak and could withstand near anything, but Ubel thinking she could cut it like the cloth she watched her sister cut as a child (and created a psycho who loves the sound of things being cut in the process) lead to him getting bisected. She didn't even mean to kill him !

I do love how they acknowledge how Sense' hair must be a pain to maintain .

Wirbel's group vs replica Denken! I also like how they acknowledge how dangerous the Fern replica is and that Methode made sure to challenge that herself...and it seems like there's more to Methode than being a sexy and serene onee-san, considering she held her own against the replica Fern and Laufen had more trouble with her

Frieren makes her replica go straight at her and gets some battle damage, but that's just the opening Fern needs for a barrage! Now if only she hadn't hesitated for a second until replica Frieren unleashed her hidden magic and just forces Fern away without the need of arms or a wand...but that lets Frieren finish it .

Wirbel still has to carry his party and Frieren still gets caught in mimics even in a treasure room...but hey, they passed the 2nd exam! And luckily the survivors are getting healed by the golems that saved them !
Old 2024-03-08, 11:41   Link #1115
Kazu-kun

Fern destroyed both the clone's arms. If she didn't stop, she could have finishing it off on her own. But I guess it's a bit too early for her. The talent is there though. Eventually, she'll be ready to play at Frieren's level.
Old 2024-03-08, 12:12   Link #1116
Twi

Wirbel must be tired from carrying his team on his back so much.
Old 2024-03-08, 13:04   Link #1117
Shadow5YA

Can't blame Fern for assuming the replica couldn't cast any more magic with both of its arms gone. Still too soon for her, but she still proved her worth relative to the other human mages nonetheless.

Seeing the environments fleshed out was really nice compared to the manga. We can see how much they struggled much more clearly.

The way Taniyama Kisho delivered Wibel's line with his voice cracking added a lot to showing his exhaustion.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-08, 13:20   Link #1118
ChronoReverse

What's notable is Fern already blew off both clone-Frieren's arms before doing the machine gun attack and clone-Frieren didn't appear to have taken any further damage.

I'm pretty sure the result would have been the same even if Fern hadn't let up at that point, clone-Frieren was about to blast her. And I think Fern probably tried for a kill shot when she took the arms but clone-Frieren probably evaded enough to avoid the instant-kill.

Right now my greatest concern is Fern's staff (wasn't it from Heiter?). Surely they can repair it?
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-08, 13:42   Link #1119
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
What's notable is Fern already blew off both clone-Frieren's arms before doing the machine gun attack and clone-Frieren didn't appear to have taken any further damage.
No she only blew one arm before her barrage. She destroyed the other afterward.

The anime doesn't show it properly but Fern was breaking through the clone's barrier. That's what really notable about all this and it's a shame the anime missed those details.
Old 2024-03-08, 13:43   Link #1120
Dextro
He Without a Title

I'm sad that Lavine had to give up after being jumped from behind. RIP her first-class mage aspirations (for now)

Tags
adventure, fantasy