Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-26, 19:11   Link #1061
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
Some people love to hate
They generally love to spread that hate even more. Or barring that, at least ensure that people don't enjoy it as much as they would without someone shit-talking it constantly. "If I can't enjoy it..."
Old 2017-04-27, 00:43   Link #1062
Rimbo99

While I'm generally fine with the episode. However, to those who are unsatisfied with the episode, I try to create an alternate episode of sort.

The episode would start off as like in the beginning with Akko informing her friends about the Shiny Rod and the Reconstruction Magic and the three heading to Lotte's village.

Lotte's parents would have a lot more screen time. The parents guided the girls around town and be informed about the culture which Akko sleeps a bit. One day, Lotte's mother discovered that she ran out of supplies for something and asks Lotte and Mr Yanson to go get it. Akko and Sucy followed.

It took some time but Akko decided to put the rod down and helped out. Alls well, they returned home and Mrs Yanson has what she needs for the set up. A sad Akko wonders whats the point of all this. Lotte teaches Akko the value of patience.

Then, an event similar to Aurara Boerealis appears above the sky and Mr and Mrs Yanson was preparing a party for their daughter, friends and villagers. Lotte informs a surprised Akko that this event occurs every 10 years and Akko was lucky to be there on this great event. Lotte concludes that while there are things that won't meet your expectations but the surprises can really surprise in ways you can't imagine. Akko learns to be patient and the Rod activates causing the event to be even more beautiful leaving those in attendance with awe in their eyes.
Rimbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 01:39   Link #1063
Kurohane

The episode was fine. The lesson may come across as weak, but that's because Akko has already shown to be patient when it counts. It was like the usual episodes, committing to a particular theme while adding humor, references and a few over the top situations.

Akko is impartial to the growing divide between tradition and modernizing. She was disappointed that Lotte's shop wasn't more traditional. When just an episode ago, she was excited over the new magitek introduced in Luna Nova. She's not picking a side; her stance depends on the situation.

The highlight was definitely when Akko is walking in the snow storm and has these hallucinations with the first being the most poignant, because it's Akko after all, the supposed genki girl.
Old 2017-04-27, 05:52   Link #1064
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Ha. When I was watching the episode, I was wondering if hapansilakka was similar to that famous oh-so-stinky Scandinavian fermented fish "delicacy" surströmming. Turns out they're the same thing. It's called surströmming in Sweden and hapansilakka in Finland.
Old 2017-04-27, 06:37   Link #1065
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Ha. When I was watching the episode, I was wondering if hapansilakka was similar to that famous oh-so-stinky Scandinavian fermented fish "delicacy" surströmming. Turns out they're the same thing. It's called surströmming in Sweden and hapansilakka in Finland.
And obviously it melted Sucy's heart.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 07:31   Link #1066
Tenzen12

To be honest I am on board with people who didn't like this episode. Awaking of the words always felt pretty meaningful, not so this time. No built up or tension.

If it at least used opportunity to flesh out Lotte character more...

Well, it had funny moments at least. So take this just as opinion rather than claim.
Old 2017-04-27, 12:52   Link #1067
ScrewySquirrel

this was a breather episode. after the high tension of 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15, this one feels rushed and light.

Compared to 3, or 4 though, its about the same

Last edited by ScrewySquirrel; 2017-04-27 at 13:09.
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 15:10   Link #1068
Slayerx

Quote:
this was a breather episode. after the high tension of 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15, this one feels rushed and light.

Compared to 3, or 4 though, its about the same
Ya, but a breather episode seems like a bad type of episode for a word awakening. Frankly, i thought this was a rather weak episode, even taking into account that it was breather. Honestly i think if the episode had been handled differently it could have worked. I did feel something when Akko was trudging through the snow, but that was it... needed more of that.

Though i think what does bug me in particular is how the lesson about patience didn't really play into the resolution. Sure Akko realized that this entire journey has been about patience but she didn't actually need to use patience to finish the antidote spell. She says patience is important but there is no sense that she's actually BEING patient; she's still desperately rushing to get the spell done on time... come to think of it, that trudging through snow part didn't even focus on patience but the need to keep pushing on when things looked impossible which is rather a different lesson and not one that akko really needs since she does that kind of stuff often

I think the core flaw was putting the curse on a time limit thus encouraging her to rush. If the curse didn't have a specific time limit then there would be no real need for her to rush and she could (and SHOULD) take all the time she needed to get the spell done correctly. Heck they could have had her fail the first time because she screwed up the ingredients with her rushing (the snow must fall naturally, etc), and then she has to go back and get the ingredients again but this time with proper patience. Those moments of patience could have also been where we put those moments of desperate despair like we saw when she was trudging through the snow. Once she got the ingredients she'd again screw up by rushing the spell and THAT's when she remembers Ursla's words and the lesson she learned gathering the ingredients and prepares the spell nice and slow while casting the spell; They could even use a time lapse to show it taking a very long time to stir

Also i think i would have also greatly preferred if Akko did seem to mature a bit and take that idea of patience to heart. Basically show that as akko awakens the words she is also growing as a person. Not to mention that the added patience could also be reflected in future episodes as it helps improve her studies. As it is, its like they needed her to learn a lesson, but didn't want that lesson to effect her zany character.

Last edited by Slayerx; 2017-04-27 at 16:07.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 16:21   Link #1069
Kazu-kun

I guess they want to have their cake an eat it too. It's hard if not impossible to keep Akko as a gag character while trying to develop her into a proper hero. Yet, that's exactly what they're trying to do.

I've gotta admit the result if rather haphazard.
Old 2017-04-27, 18:38   Link #1070
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
And obviously it melted Sucy's heart.
The best part about the episode was Sucy being all happy about all the "weird Finnish stuff" that freaked Akko out.
Old 2017-04-27, 23:13   Link #1071
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

There's a reason I stopped coming here but whatever.

I'm not hating. I just don't like the direction this series is going in. At the very least I was fine with Akko very slowly progressing as a character by becoming less of a dumb ass and having others continue to find out how big and wonderful her heart is. I was hoping that would continue, especially after that big festival.

Instead, the show hamfists the literal recreation of the entire world and its magic directly into her becoming a better witch / person. I don't entirely get why she's the one who has to do it either. It's not like everyone else is an evil jerk in this show, including Diana's lackeys.

So yeah, I don't hate the show, I'm not spreading hate either, but it's not exactly as enjoyable as it was in the beginning.

Also telling someone to learn patience when there's a freaking TIME LIMIT hovering over her head is a moronic way to do it, very much the giant flaw of this episode.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-28, 08:39   Link #1072
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-28, 09:22   Link #1073
ScrewySquirrel

Episode title:

"Amanda O'Neil and the Holy Grail"
Old 2017-04-28, 09:44   Link #1074
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
There's a reason I stopped coming here but whatever.

I'm not hating. I just don't like the direction this series is going in. At the very least I was fine with Akko very slowly progressing as a character by becoming less of a dumb ass and having others continue to find out how big and wonderful her heart is. I was hoping that would continue, especially after that big festival.

Instead, the show hamfists the literal recreation of the entire world and its magic directly into her becoming a better witch / person. I don't entirely get why she's the one who has to do it either. It's not like everyone else is an evil jerk in this show, including Diana's lackeys.

So yeah, I don't hate the show, I'm not spreading hate either, but it's not exactly as enjoyable as it was in the beginning.

Also telling someone to learn patience when there's a freaking TIME LIMIT hovering over her head is a moronic way to do it, very much the giant flaw of this episode.
Can't really blame you, at all. I, too, was hoping that, after the Moonlit Witch festival, Akko would have been shown to become more accepted and like by her classmates (outside her small group of friends), instead of just being considered the dunce of the class, but that hasn't happened.

I, too, am a bit disappointed in the direction the show has taken. I had not expected the show to become overwhelmed by heavy-handed melodrama and turn into an "Akko must fight the evil villains to protect the world from destruction" type of series. I would have been just as, if not more satisfied if the show had continued to be a show about cute witches doing cute things, facing an occasional minor obstacle in a light-hearted manner.

Most of all, when is the anime staff going to let Akko ride a broom by herself???
Old 2017-04-28, 11:38   Link #1075
Tenzen12

Evil Villain? World destruction? Huh, that's weird I checked name of thread and it says "Little Witch Academia". So I am bit confused. Maybe you are one mistaking this anime for something else.
Old 2017-04-28, 12:22   Link #1076
ScrewySquirrel

there is a Quest...to restore the World Tree(and thereby Magic).
Old 2017-04-28, 13:38   Link #1077
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
there is a Quest...to restore the World Tree(and thereby Magic).
So, now it's switched from being a cute anime about cute witches doing cute things to an RPG anime series? Ugh! Another one of my least favorite types of shows.
Old 2017-04-28, 13:52   Link #1078
ScrewySquirrel

no, its still cute witches doing cute things...just one of them is saving Magic.
Old 2017-04-28, 13:54   Link #1079
Kazu-kun

The problem is execution imo. I think you can have cute witches doing cute things while saving the magical world just fine. But it takes a good director/writers to make it work.

This shows always excelled when it was doing character development. The 12-13 two parter is a good example. The stakes were relatively high, there was drama, there was comedy, and Akko also managed to revive a word, getting closer to save magic.

I think after episodes 14 and 15, which focused on exposition and plot build-up, they should have gone for another two parter like 12-13. Instead, we got episode 16, which was kind of a let down, to be honest.

It doesn't help that Akko is focusing way too much on the words now that she knows what's going on. It would be cool if learning patience lead to Akko calming the fuck down for a while, but the PV suggests episode 17 is about reviving another word so it looks like they're rushing it, which seems counter-productive imo. Like, what's the point of learning patience when the words are coming at Akko at such a fast pace. And more importantly, they're cheapening any potential character development Akko could get from this quest by rushing it so much.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2017-04-28 at 14:05.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-28, 15:52   Link #1080
kari-no-sugata II

It does make sense that now that Akko is doing it intentionally instead of by accident that she's finding it easier... but yes it does cheapen it a bit somehow.

I suspect Akko will breeze through them until there's just one more to go... the last one... the hardest one... the one that Chariot stumbled on... then things will become a lot more serious.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic school, slice of life