AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-17, 04:36   Link #201
Zippicus

I just watched up to episode 4. This show just keeps getting better and better. It's all been rather strange but once you hit 4 you know it's going to be one of those mind blowing shows. The weirdness factor is up there with something like Lain.

As far as the lack of discussion on this show, I think it's because everyone is still in "wtf" mode. In the case of this show I think that's a good thing.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 22:57   Link #202
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
I just watched up to episode 4. This show just keeps getting better and better. It's all been rather strange but once you hit 4 you know it's going to be one of those mind blowing shows. The weirdness factor is up there with something like Lain.

As far as the lack of discussion on this show, I think it's because everyone is still in "wtf" mode. In the case of this show I think that's a good thing.
Well, I can't disagree with the "WTF" part of the analysis. In a good way. Definitely a seriously creepy and unsettling chapter, with the promise of more to come. I think there are clues hidden in the lyrics to the ED, personally...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 23:41   Link #203
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
The weirdness factor is up there with something like Lain.
Some coincidence, isn't it? The show is made by the same people who made Lain.

Seriously, for me it really started to pick up on ep.3. I am waiting for the sub, because I've heard of natives who had to consult Medical Dictionaries to figure out what they were talking about.
I loved the haircut... they're obviously need it since they bitting way more they can chew. Which is great!
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 23:53   Link #204
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And who knew that when your soul leaves the body, the only parts that go with it are the ass and the ears?
Old 2007-11-18, 07:20   Link #205
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, that was seriously creepy, up to a point. The exploring the ruined hospital in the dark part, and where Tarou sees the apparition running after him, combined with the very very spooky background noises. It was very very creepy.

But I said up to a point. That was the point at which they went out of body and we saw their 'astral bodies' or whatever. They just looked ridiculous, and vaguely reminiscent of Casper the Friendly Ghost. That just didn't sit right for me.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 11:07   Link #206
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I couldn't say it any better than Dop. I found the first half extremely well done, the creepy atmosphere was well beyond anything that e.g. Ghost Hunt ever managed to create. But then, I mean: what. It's not only the appearance of their astral bodies, the whole behaviour of the trio didn't sit right. Even Night Wizard would have handled these out-of-body scenes with more seriousness.

I nominate that for the most abrupt change in overall mood in an anime episode in 2007. It'll be hard to beat.
Old 2007-11-18, 11:12   Link #207
crinaea
white cotton pantsu

so, shirow can't pay the bills drawing greased up pinup lesbians getting it on with each other in his usual futuristic police states so he puts his name on this... thing.

one moment the boys are in the hospital cell where taro's sister died, terrified, the next they're some gooey aliens with their asses showing surrouned by poorly rendered 'phantoms' that look like extras from an 80s anime.

i went from truly feeling a sense of terror to 'this is retarded.'

i'm also not loving the random hypnotherapy and psychotherapy jargon that sort of filters its way awkwardly into the series.

"my mom dropped me. so, serial killers have messed up brains... that's why i'm cool with killing peeps."

none of it has any real cohesion. sort of a trainwreck at best--one of those anime that doesn't really make sense, but references actual intellectual concepts and is therefore made to appear clever by association.
crinaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 11:49   Link #208
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I nominate that for the most abrupt change in overall mood in an anime episode in 2007. It'll be hard to beat.
Yeah, I thought the same, but my Shirow fanboyism kicked in and made me hold my judgment till the series progresses a bit further...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 11:58   Link #209
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Honestly, I didn't think the change was that bad. Yes, the "astral bodies" were pretty silly-looking and the boys' immediate behavior was odd - but I thought the "ghosts" were fine. And I thought the trek back through the dark and the scene at the shrine were rather well-done. I view the misstep as a hiccup, and not an especially big one at that.
Old 2007-11-18, 12:17   Link #210
crinaea
white cotton pantsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Honestly, I didn't think the change was that bad. Yes, the "astral bodies" were pretty silly-looking and the boys' immediate behavior was odd - but I thought the "ghosts" were fine. And I thought the trek back through the dark and the scene at the shrine were rather well-done. I view the misstep as a hiccup, and not an especially big one at that.
no, but it ruins the mood nonetheless.
crinaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 15:41   Link #211
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crinaea View Post
no, but it ruins the mood nonetheless.
Well, from a technical point of view, they should have had silver cord attaching them to the physical bodies. Also, I thought weird that what's his name, didn't automatically returned to his body at first sign of fear, because *in reality* so to speak, that what is supposed to happen. But, the lack of an occult consultant /advisor didn't seem like a big deal to me. I enjoyed the lack of religious sectarism. *Oh, it's just another style.* said the Shinto priest. Last thing we need at this point is rival sects battles.
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 04:53   Link #212
Turin Turambar

I also thought the ghost forms was very weird and cheesy looking. I was thinking why that aspect, because i knew there was to be a reason for that. And a comment in another forum gave me a clue. They are like little monkeys, with the visible hairless butts and all that.

Which make sense. I think the series is trying to show how humankind is a young race, and exactly in the spirit world they are still little monkeys, or little psychodelic ghost monkeys.
Turin Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 07:36   Link #213
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin Turambar View Post
I also thought the ghost forms was very weird and cheesy looking. I was thinking why that aspect, because i knew there was to be a reason for that. And a comment in another forum gave me a clue. They are like little monkeys, with the visible hairless butts and all that.

Which make sense. I think the series is trying to show how humankind is a young race, and exactly in the spirit world they are still little monkeys, or little psychodelic ghost monkeys.
I think so as well, take a look at their monkey butts XD. Seriously, I couldn't disagree with you more, I though the same when I say that. Was they drawn cheesly? Yes, but everything has a hidden meaning in this anime, so I'm not surprised.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 08:02   Link #214
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu_Hikaru View Post
Well, from a technical point of view, they should have had silver cord attaching them to the physical bodies. Also, I thought weird that what's his name, didn't automatically returned to his body at first sign of fear, because *in reality* so to speak, that what is supposed to happen.
Supposed? Is that some official Shinto doctrine or something? I don't really care how they handle that, as long as it doesn't break the mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwata
Yes, but everything has a hidden meaning in this anime.
No offence, but this is, in my most humble opinion, the essence of fanwanking. How do you know that everything has a hidden meaning in this anime, after only four eps even? Anime, including this one, are made by human beings and sometimes these humans screw things up. Or have different ideas about quality than the viewers. Or simply don't care. If I knew that no matter what I do people will detect some amazing hidden symbolism in it I wouldn't care either. Criticizing anime is not a game where the audience has to prove their worth by understanding the unquestioned greatness of the work.

I don't see the anime as negative as crinaea and it is far from being a "trainwreck" but the transparent monkeys were a negative point for me, and I hope stuff like this won't happen too often.
Old 2007-11-19, 12:49   Link #215
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Gaahhh...I would have been happy with just clear blue versions of them for the spirit realm like we see in the OP. Their astral bodies look like deformed translucent monkeys with half their innards sucked out.

Beyond that, still an awesome episode ( 4 )
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 14:42   Link #216
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The ghosts were fine. They looked very unique and it seemed like their organs were along for the ride

Other than that, that long limbed ghost running at Taro/screen was just ridiculously creepy. Hopefully there's more of those creepy moments soon.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 15:00   Link #217
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, that long-limbed ghost was a serious freak-out moment. The stuff of nightmares, indeed.
Old 2007-11-19, 15:05   Link #218
TurinTurambar200

I don't know about everyone else, but the ghosts didn't really ruin the mood for me. I can't say it was the most fitting for the scene, but it hardly took away from the environment the show tries to draw you into.
TurinTurambar200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 22:21   Link #219
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Well, the astral forms where weird. I'll admit that much. But, since no one knows what such a thing would look like it's up to creative interpretation and the result is not everyone is going to like how it turns out. So yeah, a bit jarring considering the extremely creepy vibes the show has so far but not enough to make me hate it.

I'm not sure what was creepier honestly - the long limbed ghost or the little girl ghost in the forest. Then the break happened with the logo and static and I damn near jumped out of my chair.
Old 2007-11-19, 22:30   Link #220
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

The out of body experience def made me go but overall I really liked this epi. Slowly but surely we're getting more info on the 3 guys. The thing chasing Taro creeped me out!!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, production i.g.