AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-11-16, 09:38   Link #181
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Slowly catching up. My heart's with Futaba. Unrequited love always gets me. And what's worse is that Kunimi knows about it. ahhhhhhh D:
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-16, 21:35   Link #182
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD3LF0N53 View Post
Mai is an actress, not an idol. So the rules are much less strict.
And yet, her manager sounded rather shocked and Mai wanted to talk about that phone call afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well it is sometimes said that the quiet ones are often the wildest especially because holy shit ponytail Futaba without glasses is hot.

The episode more or less suggests that ponytail Futaba is the id, and regular glasses Futaba is the ego, and the arc deals with a physical splitting of the two. Given the ending of the episode you'd assume that id Futaba would be the one engaging in those risque behaviors and... self photography.

However it seems it's clearly not the case. Given that regular Futaba was found in the net cafe, it seems clearly that the version who actually posted those photos was not ponytail Futaba, which we would likely expect to be the culprit, but regular Futaba herself!

1. The net cafe would be the best place to anonymously produce and upload such content, as Kunimi's ever annoying GF says that this Futaba's secret account.
2. She had glasses with her.
3. Ponytail Futaba implies that regular Futaba lied to Sakuta to hide something.

It means that in reality, regular glasses Futaba might actually be the id, while ponytail Futaba might actually be the ego. This is something I wouldn't have expected given regular Futaba's usual stoic nature. I'm incredibly curious why this is the case in this arc, because if I'm correct in this assessment, it subverts the usual expectation of the id being the more open and emotional part of the psyche. It would also suggest that regular Futaba carries a lot of suppressed romantic and/or sexual desire within her.

Edit - In fact I think she probably took those pictures in the Science Club room.
She did, I checked the first episode and she is using the exact same cup she is usually using in the science lab. You can even see the glass container we previously saw there before. (Although there is a slight animation mistake as it was previously round.)
TbH when I first saw the cup I checked whether she was using it at Sakuta's place

However: There is imho a possibility Hairdown-Futaba lied about not having been the one in the book store.

First off there is a sign that seems to point out rest rooms containing changing tables, shortly before we see Futaba attempting to take pictures. - Notably the same Futaba that later comes to the book store.
tbh Idk if there are changing tables in high school girl restrooms but if there are, the sign only shows one restroom for handicapped people. However that seems kinda strange, especially considering that it's on the 5th floor, which is hinting that the building in question has an elevator.

However, while I can't read the sign it looks like there are eight floors total, their school only has three. - Count the window rows if you don't believe me its 3 window rows(the ground floor isn't visible in the episode) + the ones on the exit to the roof. Makes 3 actual floors, since the topmost is just the exit to the roof.
The net cafe on the other hand could very well be in an eight floor building.

Even if I'm completely wrong about that one though, there is another hint pointing towards the first scene having happened there:

If you check the scene where she takes pictures on the toilet, you will see that the walls have wooden paneling. - Not exactly something you'd expect to find in a school a school toilet, but then again it's Japan, and Japan is said to have a thing for fancy toilets.
Nevertheless - the paneling still has the same type of wood we see again later in - you guessed it - the net cafe.

Also I agree on the point that ponytail Futaba looks way better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Also, this is probably the first episode where the Jealous Girlfriend has NOT been the Queen Bitch and was on point. It makes me wonder does she suspect Futaba of harboring feelinga about her man. I'd guess so, given that she knows he is friends with Futaba and she probably noticed how she "accidentally" tends to go look at him training.
Which makes me wonder what's her angle here with showing Sakuta this? Is she really afraid Futaba might snag Best Friend with this?!? That... doesn't seem likely.
It kinda feels like constipation-girl is only like that when talking to Sakuta.
Tbh the way she talks to him it feels like they used to be friends in the past.

I mean come on how many girls would accept a flat out "Are you constipated" or "are you on your period?" with such a mild reaction? And moreover still continue to bitch after that, despite knowing that comments like that might come?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2018-11-16 at 22:08.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-17, 06:40   Link #183
Blonto

Why is anime never content with having only one girl as a romantic interest? Why does it always have to drag a bunch of other girls into it? It really cheapens whatever is there, not to mention it's incredibly unfair towards the girls, who are always supposed to have one and only one guy in their whole life and never show an interest in guys in general. Ah well, at least the nerdy girl likes the athletic guy and not some loser friend of the protagonist. The part where she was trying not to look at him as he was washing after practice was cute. Actually it's pretty unusual that the protagonist's friend isn't some fat guy or a horndog constantly rejected by women.
But yeah, here I thought it'd be an anime about an ongoing relationship, turns out it's a lowkey harem. Barf.

Oh and the incest jokes...No. Stop. Whyyy?
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-17, 07:29   Link #184
Lex79

Well, while it might be an harem Sakuta isn't showing any interest in girls other than Mai and they are already together. Things might be shaken in Shoko's arc if her older form makes an appearance, but for now Sakuta and Mai's relationship is very solid and enjoyable.
Lex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-17, 07:59   Link #185
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
Why is anime never content with having only one girl as a romantic interest? Why does it always have to drag a bunch of other girls into it? It really cheapens whatever is there, not to mention it's incredibly unfair towards the girls, who are always supposed to have one and only one guy in their whole life and never show an interest in guys in general. Ah well, at least the nerdy girl likes the athletic guy and not some loser friend of the protagonist. The part where she was trying not to look at him as he was washing after practice was cute. Actually it's pretty unusual that the protagonist's friend isn't some fat guy or a horndog constantly rejected by women.
But yeah, here I thought it'd be an anime about an ongoing relationship, turns out it's a lowkey harem. Barf.

Oh and the incest jokes...No. Stop. Whyyy?
Erm.. where do you see the harem. Mai and Sakuta are in a relationship. The only other girl that crushed on him was Koga, and that was fine and was friendzoned as soon as she confessed, and by now she has moved on. Futaba never expressed any interest in Sakuta, and was only brought into his orbit through her friendship with Kunimi.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Kaede's incest antics either but that's the kind of BS I have to put up in anime anyway it seems.

Old flame, is much younger than him and doesn't remmeber him. He is just the guy keeping her cat.

Sooo... I'm not really seeing a harem here.

Although the show is kinda sausage light.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-17, 16:35   Link #186
Requiem-x
The slacking one

While Futaba's situation is certainly interesting (even the bitch has an actual reason to be concerned now!), I'm more focused on how Mai is the best girlfriend ever and just someone who knows how to stand her ground. No, Sakuta, having your ridiculously hot (in both loose hair/lab coat and ponytail/uniform fashion) female friend sleep over at your place when your busy girlfriend just found time to be with you is not ok, or at least not the smartest move. Fortunately, Mai is tolerant enough to not shut down the idea entirely, and that scene with the two of them in the livingroom was such an overload of sweetness I had the biggest smile in my face by the end, mostly from Mai's last words and Sakuta's reaction, which, now that I think about it, remind me of Tsuki ga Kirei and Koutarou's reaction to his first official date with Akane.

Oh, right, Shouko! Doesn't seem like much, but obviously its setting up stuff for later, kind of how we saw more into Futaba's situation during Koga's story, so it's fine if this is all we get for now.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-17, 21:03   Link #187
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Erm.. where do you see the harem. Mai and Sakuta are in a relationship. The only other girl that crushed on him was Koga, and that was fine and was friendzoned as soon as she confessed, and by now she has moved on. Futaba never expressed any interest in Sakuta, and was only brought into his orbit through her friendship with Kunimi.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Kaede's incest antics either but that's the kind of BS I have to put up in anime anyway it seems.

Old flame, is much younger than him and doesn't remmeber him. He is just the guy keeping her cat.

Sooo... I'm not really seeing a harem here.

Although the show is kinda sausage light.

These days when people talk about "Harem" shows, most of those don't actually have harems but just one guy with more than two love interests. You probably know that since Blonto never actually used the word "Harem" but you immediately made the association by default, but it's worth re-iterating because this show is featuring multiple love interests. Or at least multiple potential love interests. That's the weird thing about this show: It was really pushing its boundaries with Butt girl but now it's pushing those boundaries again more and more with incest jokes and the childhood friend appearance. I wouldn't quite say it's "harem" territory but it's certainly dancing on a knife's edge and (debatabley) needlessly at that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-17, 21:18   Link #188
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
These days when people talk about "Harem" shows, most of those don't actually have harems but just one guy with more than two love interests. You probably know that since Blonto never actually used the word "Harem" but you immediately made the association by default, but it's worth re-iterating because this show is featuring multiple love interests.

Not that this may refute everything else you say, but he bluntly says harem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
Old 2018-11-17, 21:26   Link #189
Applehell

Bunny Girl isn't a harem, but a pesudo one. In such that being a situation where there is clearly only one or two serious love interests and every other girl/boy beyond that is just ship-teasing that will never actually go anywhere. Case in point SakutaxMai is the only real deal here as far romance goes in terms of development and everything that matters, and regardless of the potential suitors there is no pretense of any them having a chance.

That said I'm not really fond of the little sister incest bait Kaede largely is at the moment and it's increasing coming across at this point as increasing tacked on to retain a certain audience, but same time I can mostly ignore it because the sow has built so much goodwill with me.

On the episode itself, Megane Futaba and Ponytail Futaba are definitely both real, but I feel at this point Megane Futaba isn't the only one lying about something here.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-17, 23:46   Link #190
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Not that this may refute everything else you say, but he bluntly says harem here
If you mean the tag, I think everyone can edit those, so that's actually less telling then you think.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2018-11-18, 00:14   Link #191
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
That said I'm not really fond of the little sister incest bait Kaede largely is at the moment and it's increasing coming across at this point as increasing tacked on to retain a certain audience, but same time I can mostly ignore it because the sow has built so much goodwill with me.
I don't mind the thing with Kaede because I think the show has made it clear that the "incest" element is pretty much just a joke and the reason Kaede clings to her brother so much is because of her trauma over what happened to her.
Old 2018-11-18, 02:22   Link #192
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
If you mean the tag, I think everyone can edit those, so that's actually less telling then you think.
Yes! Thank God I'm not the only one who can't read.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 03:09   Link #193
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
While Futaba's situation is certainly interesting (even the bitch has an actual reason to be concerned now!), I'm more focused on how Mai is the best girlfriend ever and just someone who knows how to stand her ground. No, Sakuta, having your ridiculously hot (in both loose hair/lab coat and ponytail/uniform fashion) female friend sleep over at your place when your busy girlfriend just found time to be with you is not ok, or at least not the smartest move. Fortunately, Mai is tolerant enough to not shut down the idea entirely, and that scene with the two of them in the livingroom was such an overload of sweetness I had the biggest smile in my face by the end, mostly from Mai's last words and Sakuta's reaction, which, now that I think about it, remind me of Tsuki ga Kirei and Koutarou's reaction to his first official date with Akane.

Oh, right, Shouko! Doesn't seem like much, but obviously its setting up stuff for later, kind of how we saw more into Futaba's situation during Koga's story, so it's fine if this is all we get for now.
When I saw that scene I was sure Mai was going to make Futaba stay at her house, then the author surprised me with that amazing development. You are perfectly right, Mai is the perfect girlfriend. First she allows Sakuta to play the fake boyfriend with Koga, then to see everyday Shoko (while young, she is still a constant reminder of his first crush), now helping him with Futaba, all of these while gently but firmly reaffirming that the place next to Sakuta is hers and hers alone.
Old 2018-11-18, 03:38   Link #194
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Mai clearly isn't the jealous type. She trusts Sakuta enough to know he won't fool around and clearly isn't insecure of him being around other top tier waifus.

Except Kaede. She's not even on top tier imouto.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2018-11-18 at 03:52.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 04:11   Link #195
moridin84
Custom User Title

Yeah, the show has all the trapping of a harem but manages to sidestep it.

Mai is the actual love interest. And they basically confess at the end of the first arc and start going out at the end of the second.

The sister clings to the main character a lot but it isn't because she is a bro-con. She's traumatized and doesn't interact with anyone outside of their home. She is fine with Mai, just a little shy.

Koga was rejected and transitioned into a side character.

Futaba started with a different love interest she is was "out of the running" from the very beginning.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 04:25   Link #196
Keila

Quote:
Mai clearly isn't the jealous type. She trusts Sakuta enough to know he won't fool around and clearly isn't insecure of him being around other top tier waifus.

It'd be a bit hard for anyone to rationalise distrust after the events/experiences Mai and Sakuta went through. They started as strangers but he still went out of his way to help her, putting himself on the line (health, exams, social standing).

If you were in Mai's position and something happend to you (rational or otherwise) could you really doubt the sincerity of someone like Sakuta? It already takes a massive amount of commitment to put yourself on the line like that for someone else.

Kaede is effectively the damsel in distress, the girl to be protected and saved (hasn't quite happened yet). From a different perspective, she's essentially a plot device. Sakuta is the way he is because of her, she opened his eyes to the screwy nature of the world (making him accept otherwise crazy things) and he was willing to do anything for her (which, gets extended to the subsequent girls he interacts with).
Old 2018-11-18, 07:12   Link #197
jdennis007

Quote:

Mai is definitely the jealous type why do you think she is staying over too. She is not extremely jealous but she is still a jealous type.
Old 2018-11-18, 09:06   Link #198
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
Mai is definitely the jealous type why do you think she is staying over too. She is not extremely jealous but she is still a jealous type.
Given the situation its imho pretty normal to get jealous and be against it.

Old 2018-11-18, 11:03   Link #199
Blueknight78

well to be fair japaneses are "jealous" normally in the beginner later when they marry and after have the first kid, cheating become "normal" since the couple start to see each other less and less due to both overworking: husband at the job and wife at home, then they start to look for "extra sex" since they normally don't have time to each other it's a very sad reality, the marriage in japan, in most cases the love disappear and become more like a "partnership" than a romance.
Old 2018-11-18, 13:35   Link #200
Lex79

Mai has the right amount of jealousy, enough to show that she really cares about Sakuta and doesn't want to risk losing him, but not to the point of becoming insecure or violent should when talks to another girl.

Tags
harem