AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-05-17, 15:03   Link #4641
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Er. No. This would be true in an ideal world, but in this one, it's not really valid. The simple fact is that sometimes it really is better for the person not just on a convenience level, but on an emotional health/safety level, to create some distance or cut someone out of their life entirely. The people who hold on to ties that put a strain on their own lives are sometimes just plain unaware of what is happening to them, but often do so out of fear of change and a need for external validation.
It varies by circumstance, and we're coming at this from two different areas. Let's take Shiemi's example above, about a woman who didn't like smokers and dated an ex-smoker. He started smoking again, and she let him know that she didn't like that, and asked him to stop. That puts the ball in his court, to either stop if he wants to be with her, or decide he'd rather not and then she could leave him.

In that situation, or an abusive one where the person won't change, then it's okay for someone to leave and cut off ties. That's understandable and that's where you are coming from.

But if the woman, say, just up and left him out of the blue, he's going to naturally ask why. She'd tell him it was because of the smoking, and his response would naturally be, "Well, why didn't you say anything?" In that case, it is her fault because she didn't say anything. It usually indicates a deeper reason that she doesn't want to admit, as it might end up making her look worse, and thus she was just looking for excuses to push it all back on him.

People can and do change, and I'm sure you'd like to be told something in advance, rather than have someone drop you out of the blue. If someone has a history of doing things like this, then I think you'd agree they have an issue.

Quote:
On the matter of 'in it for sex' vs. 'in it for love', I again raise up the standard that if you cannot trust someone enough to just give you a straight answer about their motivations, you should not even bother pursuing a relationship with that person. A relationship will serve to deepen the ties between two people, but it's all rather pointless to try deepening trust if there's so little in place to begin with.
Trust is just something you have to give; sure, you're gonna get hurt occasionally. But the alternative is to completely close yourself off to people. I've been there, and decided to finally open up and trust people, knowing I'll get burned again, but that's just life.

But if person A is under the impression there is a high degree of trust in the relationship, and Person B does nothing to indicate otherwise, then it's Person B that has the problem. Like above, it was Person B who misled Person A. Love has to have trust, so you're right that if no deeper relationship can happen if one party is not trusting the other. But it's a disservice to not say anything at all, and raises the question that Person B only thought of it as a superficial relationship. And thus the obvious question of "Did they actually leave because they got all they wanted, or found something better?"

Sex can happen when there's little trust, although Person A might believe there is more trust there if something like that happens, when it's more of a "fling" thing to Person B. Some people do treat such things casually. Person A might be incorrect in assuming there is something more there, but they won't know unless Person B says something.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 15:31   Link #4642
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
But if the woman, say, just up and left him out of the blue, he's going to naturally ask why. She'd tell him it was because of the smoking, and his response would naturally be, "Well, why didn't you say anything?" In that case, it is her fault because she didn't say anything. It usually indicates a deeper reason that she doesn't want to admit, as it might end up making her look worse, and thus she was just looking for excuses to push it all back on him.

People can and do change, and I'm sure you'd like to be told something in advance, rather than have someone drop you out of the blue. If someone has a history of doing things like this, then I think you'd agree they have an issue.
Ah, okay, the way you phrased it made me think you were speaking in absolutes, but yes, in such a situation you're absolutely right: some warning before hand is really the duty of the troubled party.

The tragic thing is that sometimes, you end up in situations with people with whom the warning doesn't take, and that gets nasty. I've been in relationships with that sort of person. Usually it's something that a person used to being the victim does. So there's another sign to look out for: someone who makes a point of focusing on how they have been wronged in the past is not ready for a relationship, they're just looking for an ego boost.

Quote:
...Sex can happen when there's little trust, although Person A might believe there is more trust there if something like that happens, when it's more of a "fling" thing to Person B. Some people do treat such things casually. Person A might be incorrect in assuming there is something more there, but they won't know unless Person B says something.
Fair enough, this is why I advocate actually asking someone about their motives. Assumptions have the potential to be pretty harmful in any context, but it's a sad aspect of our world that people are often expected to have some sort of relationship ESP, and asking direct questions is just a sign of a 'lack of understanding'. We get fed this ideal of love where the people involved can 'talk without words', and we maybe even have close friendships like this, but it's less a matter of how intimate you are with someone than it is a matter of similar thought patterns.

Yes kids, it's okay to ask your significant other about things. Someone who gets mad at their partner for not 'just knowing' should probably take a chill pill.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:14   Link #4643
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
The tragic thing is that sometimes, you end up in situations with people with whom the warning doesn't take, and that gets nasty. I've been in relationships with that sort of person. Usually it's something that a person used to being the victim does. So there's another sign to look out for: someone who makes a point of focusing on how they have been wronged in the past is not ready for a relationship, they're just looking for an ego boost.
Yeah, if there is warning that is not heeded, then there is an issue. You can't expect someone to change unless they are straight up told what they are doing that you don't like, because not people really realize what they are doing to people, otherwise.

But we all have baggage from our past, emotional and otherwise; it's what makes us human, the good and the bad. Part of building those solid foundations of a relationship is being able to accept that your partner/friend for who they are. Indeed, I've found I love someone for their flaws almost more than their good points; it makes the person more "real" to me.

Whether or not someone is ready for a relationship, you really can't know until they are in one, and analyzing why their past relationships failed. For someone who has been wronged a lot, they probably do need something like an ego boost; a way to restore their confidence because they've been hurt a lot. Ignoring the person and perpetuating the hurt they've felt before, doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Quote:
Fair enough, this is why I advocate actually asking someone about their motives. Assumptions have the potential to be pretty harmful in any context, but it's a sad aspect of our world that people are often expected to have some sort of relationship ESP, and asking direct questions is just a sign of a 'lack of understanding'. We get fed this ideal of love where the people involved can 'talk without words', and we maybe even have close friendships like this, but it's less a matter of how intimate you are with someone than it is a matter of similar thought patterns.
Yep. And it takes time to even build that. After 10-20 years, you can probably tell what your partner is thinking, and what they want, by instinct alone; but not after a few months, so there needs to be honest communication. There's nothing you can do, though, if someone won't talk to you. They have a problem, and it's something they need to learn to work with.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 21:27   Link #4644
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
So, I dug out my old Pokemon Silver and started playing it out of boredom because my sister hijacked my laptop for a few hours, and when I had to name my little trainer character, I plugged in the name of the boy I like. Am I completely sunk or what?
Old 2010-05-17, 22:42   Link #4645
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Radiant, that was so dere.

I for one think you aren't sunk, you got wings. Now whether or not those wings carry you far is debatable. You got get sunk when you lose hope.

Or do you get sunk when you get drunk? Can't really remember. But I'm almost certain it's the former.

I think we've all done it at some point or another, naming stuff after people we like, cherish, or so forth.
I guess I'm asking because this is actually the first time I've done it with someone I like. And for some reason I really happen to like the name of the boy I like, though my dad has a field day with jokes about it, so I thought "Why not?" and plugged it in for my character. Plus, it gives me a nice, warm fuzzy feeling when I see that name come on the screen.

God, I sound weird. o_O
Old 2010-05-17, 22:56   Link #4646
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

For a while now, when it comes to dating, I've decided to call it quits. Where I am in life right now, a relationship is not the most important thing for me. Plus, after my major heartbreak from Tegan, I'm not really sure I'm over her enough to enter another fully committed relationship.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2010-05-17 at 23:30.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 22:57   Link #4647
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post

I guess I'm asking because this is actually the first time I've done it with someone I like. And for some reason I really happen to like the name of the boy I like, though my dad has a field day with jokes about it, so I thought "Why not?" and plugged it in for my character. Plus, it gives me a nice, warm fuzzy feeling when I see that name come on the screen.
God, I sound weird. o_O
Weird or not, you worried about hiding him before. Now you don't have to hide him, so you don't have to worry as much now that it's out in the open. And to note that you're dad is not being too serious (having alittle fun) which helps the matter more.
Old 2010-05-18, 01:44   Link #4648
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post

God, I sound weird. o_O
Arbitres was right. You sound like a stalker. *digs a shellscrape and surrounds it with claymores*.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 02:09   Link #4649
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Don't we all sound a little nutty when we really like someone? I don't see Radiant as a stalker or anything. Just someone who really likes someone else.

If that's crazy, then I don't wanna be sane.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 02:18   Link #4650
Samari
World's Greatest

I want the board's opinion on something. I'm going to share a post that I presented on another forum to make things easier. There are some adult themed aspects within my inquiry, so I'll put it in spoilers.

Spoiler for My post.:

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 02:31   Link #4651
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Spoiler for Above:
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 02:32   Link #4652
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I want the board's opinion on something. I'm going to share a post that I presented on another forum to make things easier. There are some adult themed aspects within my inquiry, so I'll put it in spoilers.

Spoiler for My post.:
*looks at Mystique*

I think this is yours, Big Momma. >_>
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 02:55   Link #4653
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Spoiler for Above:
Spoiler for my post.:

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2010-05-18, 03:06   Link #4654
emp_athy

Send a message via MSN to emp_athy
[QUOTE=Samari;3052843]I want the board's opinion on something. I'm going to share a post that I presented on another forum to make things easier. There are some adult themed aspects within my inquiry, so I'll put it in spoilers.

Spoiler for My reply.:
emp_athy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 03:35   Link #4655
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@Samari,

Try convincing her to cosplay in bed.

.....what? It's the logical next step from normal cosplay.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 03:38   Link #4656
Samari
World's Greatest

[QUOTE=emp_athy;3052883]
Quote:

Spoiler for My reply.:
Spoiler for My reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
@Samari,

Try convincing her to cosplay in bed.

.....what? It's the logical next step from normal cosplay.
Spoiler for My reply:

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2010-05-18, 04:29   Link #4657
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Picky, aren't we? If I put Harufox in a dress, made him look girly and renamed him Harunafoxi would you take 'her' in then?

...Would you?
*nosebleed* please don't give me any ideas....he might actually decide to take me home with him
Old 2010-05-18, 06:18   Link #4658
Shiemi
Counting days

Samari, have you tried buying her clothes that you would like her to wear? Not sure if you mentioned it. You can even buy online, like from Victoria's Secret, for example.

Frank Parsons
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 07:39   Link #4659
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:

... Actually, why not let Harunafoxi hide with you? I'm certain 'she' will behave herself.

...Moderately.
Haha..yes....she will *cheeky smile*
Old 2010-05-18, 08:21   Link #4660
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Spoiler for My post.:

Spoiler for My reply:

Spoiler for My two cents / sexual implications:

@arbitres, I think .. you think too much about it. If you find someone attractive, you find them attractive, regardless of what standarts you have set in your mind.
Example: I generally like openminded, funny and headstrong guys, but I also crushed heavily on guys who were rather quiet (yet yummly manly) in the past. You can't define chemistry logically. And if you just crush on tomboys .. who cares? There are men who date the same type of woman their whole life, you don't have to justify your taste.

And it's actually common to behave like an idiot on a date, so that's your chance as the socially awkward! Sorry, I meant to sound serious, but my brain is a jerk.
If you're on a date it's important to pick clothes and places you are comfortable with, that's pretty much all you can do as a preemptive strike. Or you can just go drinking and make sure she behaves like an idiot, too!
.. sry again, it's the brain.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom