AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-08-21, 18:35   Link #1
Cornelia

Murder Mystery?

So I absolutely love Murder Mystery books, and I've tried Umineko and Higurashi, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there I haven't found yet! I've also watched Another, but I'm looking for something that's basically along these lines. It's gotta be dark, gory. Can be magical/fantasy or realistic settings. And mature, nothing cutesy! Light novels/Visual Novels are great too, as long as they are murder mysteries and not really too romancey unless it's really necessary for the plot.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? :>
Cornelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 18:50   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Are you open to manga suggestions as well?
Old 2014-08-21, 18:57   Link #3
Cornelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Are you open to manga suggestions as well?
Most certainly! :)
Old 2014-08-21, 19:08   Link #4
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelia View Post
Most certainly!
How about ghost hunt? Or detective school q though I don't know if they have manga version
Old 2014-08-21, 19:53   Link #5
Kurohane

Persona 4 had a case about serial killings in small town, also has supernatural elements, since the main cast has to go into the TV to save the people targeted next. As childish as that sounds, it's actually a very mature series/game.
Old 2014-08-21, 20:07   Link #6
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Definitely check out the visual novel Kara no Shoujo. It's basically everything you're looking for. It does contain H-scenes and some light romance elements but the murder mystery is the main focus and it absolutely has the "dark and gory" part down.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 20:35   Link #7
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

If you're looking for VNs, Zero Escape: Nine Doors, Nine Persons, Nine Hours might be worth checking out.
Old 2014-08-22, 03:23   Link #8
Cornelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Persona 4 had a case about serial killings in small town, also has supernatural elements, since the main cast has to go into the TV to save the people targeted next. As childish as that sounds, it's actually a very mature series/game.
Will I have needed to play the other ones (Persona 2,3 etc) before I get into this? I've seen it about a lot but never really known much about it.

Thanks everyone, I'll start having a look at these tonight! :D Much appreciated!
Old 2014-08-22, 10:57   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shion no Ou has a murder mystery alongside the main story of Shion's personal development. Pretty gory at the beginning, too. I thought her story was much more compelling than the murder mystery myself.

Mysteries of the "whodunit" type are not all that common in anime in my experience. In "Bake Neko" and its sequel Mononoke, a demon slayer must identify his target's form, truth, and reason. Usually this requires unmasking the human whose evil brought forth the demon. These are highly stylized shows unlike most anything else you probably have seen. Most of the stories are fairly tragic as well.

Anime has some excellent thrillers like Monster. Though we know the identity of the main villain early in the story, the chase is everything. Since Monster is once again unlicensed, I'll link to these sources.

Ghost Hound has a murder mystery of sorts. A young boy and his sister are kidnapped, and her watches her die beside him. When the story opens he's about 8-9 years older and being treated for PTSD. He possesses the ability known as "astral projection" and joins forces with two other boys who develop the power to try and find the kidnapper. This show mixes the supernatural, neuroscience, and psychiatry into an intriguing but not always successful concoction. It's certainly worth watching though.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume uses characters from the mystery novels by Edogawa Rampo, the "Arthur Conan Doyle of Japan," in a story about a young heiress kidnapped by master their Nijuu Mensou. She becomes devoted to him and becomes known as his "daughter" ("musume"). Later when he disappears she forms The Detective Girls with two friends and sets off in search of her missing guru. Hirano Aya plays the heroine Chizuko and gives one of her best acting performances.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 15:01   Link #10
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I second Ghost Hunt and Mononoke. If you can find it try Puppet Master Sakon, very good mystery anime.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 17:33   Link #11
Cornelia

Thanks you two, I will definitely be looking these up and giving a few a try!
Old 2014-08-22, 18:55   Link #12
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Kindaichi manga, as far as I know, is the darker, gorier orthodox detective works compared to Detective Conan. The cases tend to last several volumes too.

And then, the obscure Q.E.D. by Motohiro Katou. Not really too dark and gory, but I like it. I can't remember if this has murders as well, but the spin-off to that, C.M.B, is a mystery as well.

This is more of a thriller/suspense than murder mystery, but you can try Corpse Party as well. Though it does appear quite cutesy to unsuspecting eyes, much like Higurashi.
Old 2014-08-23, 05:31   Link #13
kitten320

Monster
Ghost Hunt
Psycho-Pass
Shiki
Zetsuen no Tempest
Gosick
Danganronpa
Mouryou no Hako

I tried to put them in order of possible interest but otherwise all of them are good apart from maybe Mourou. Personally did not like it but maybe it will appeal to you.

Shinsekai yori also kinda suits. There are lots of mysteries and characters keep disappearing.