Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-19, 06:27   Link #61
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Solace:

The opening scene with the head in a box is basically the title of the show, Mouryou no Hako means "The Evil Spirit in the Box", mouryou is a mythological monster/spirit/creature typically of an evil nature. It's what Yoriko's mom called her during the slowdown scene in the gap of the sliding doors.

I'm not sure if it represents a bad omen or if it has other implications, but hell I think an evil creature's head in a box is bad enough haha
Ah, thanks. ^^ I guess I'll just have to keep watching and piece the clues together.
Old 2008-10-19, 11:15   Link #62
Dop
Mmmm....

Well that was an interesting first episode. The head in the box, the detective's war flashback dream, and the story between Yoriko and Kanako which, while seeming like Marimite gone horribly wrong, kept making me think of the film Heavenly Creatures to the point where it wouldn't have been too surprising if they'd killed Yoriko's mother!

I loved the whole style of it, as well. Looking forward to the next episode to see where it goes from here.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 12:52   Link #63
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I decided to check out this show only because of the high praise being tossed around at ANN, so my expectations were relatively high considering I decided to skip it completely before it aired. I don't know, I guess I'm not convinced over the displayed morbidity, I didn't feel any dread whatsoever, the yuri was pretty weak as well. I find the overall response toward the series a bit pretentious, and I strongly feel that quality animation isn't a good excuse for missing fabric of a compelling story. I wasn't moved by the two teenagers having or pretending to have a deep bond between each other, and I emphasize that this relationship shouldn't by any means be glorified just because one of them jumped (or got pushed) in front of a train. Just two crazy chicks, nothing more, nothing less. About Yoriko's mother, was she working for yakuza (possibly prostitution later on) or was she taunted by that guy to join a religious sect? <_<; I will give the show a few more episodes only because its description was hinting that the first episode is a prologue to a bigger picture.
I actually found the head in the box kind of attractive, rather than dread-inducing, so I know what you mean. But I think of the lack of that kind of intensity as subtle rather than weak.

On the other hand, the emotional intensity was extremely high. I thought Takahashi Mikako was wonderful as Yoriko, and the relationship and the dance were both great. Bring on the angst! "Two crazy chicks" is a phrase that doesn't mean anything, to me. They had real feelings and were full characters. Desperation might have been involved, but no pretense, at least on Yoriko's part. We don't know what was involved for Kanako. That's part of the mystery. If it helps, I suspect more gore and more dread are both coming, but that might not be a good thing, for me.

I don't see any pretentiousness around here, just honest enjoyment.

My first thought was that the buyer might want to marry Yoriko's mother and was trying to buy her daughter's favor with a doll.

One thing I loved about ep2 was...
Spoiler for ep2:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-10-19 at 13:05.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 07:07   Link #64
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode two was decent enough. I'm glad we're jumping right into the detective side of the story. A little time jump can be a bit confusing if you don't keep a look out of the dates that are mentioned at the start of the second part of the episode.
Old 2008-10-20, 10:40   Link #65
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

It's almost as if this show deliberately kept its best seiyuu for the second episode. Hisakawa Aya's character had quite a presence as befits a retired actress and I guess Kuwashima Houko's one will be more important than it looks if we disregard the famous seiyuu.

I am confused as hell about what is going in this series but I am confused in a "I want to see what happens next ASAP" and not in a "delete now" way. The hospital scene was quite a tease plotwise, the characters managed to talk a lot without revealing anything definite to the detective or the viewers. And the countryside car trip was simply beautiful.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 19:03   Link #66
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I LOVE the detective and some supernatural stuff in episode 2 xD Oh this is so interesting! I can't wait for the other two guys to show up xD The one who was playing with the kitty in the OP seemed fun xD
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 17:01   Link #67
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep3: just gets better.
Spoiler for ep3:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-10-22, 10:21   Link #68
yang_wen_lee

Hi
Sound's Great...
I LIKE the story ,,,,

I read what members write so I said to my self : you should see it ..
by the way ...
How many Epi of this show? Wish if it less than 30 Epi!!!

See Yaa
yang_wen_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 06:01   Link #69
Thingle
Banned

I hope not 30. Maybe 12 or 13 at most.

Aero's subs are teh secks, but they're HD heavyweights. I'll have problems cramming them into CD's
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 06:41   Link #70
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It was official announced that the series will last 13 episodes.
Old 2008-10-23, 09:59   Link #71
Thingle
Banned

Some guy uploaded downscaled episodes.... Good. Good.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:06   Link #72
yang_wen_lee

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It was official announced that the series will last 13 episodes.
If that so I can watch the show without problems

I've seen the first Epi with Aero sub ^_^ I like it

WAITING for the next Epi......

See Yaa
yang_wen_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 00:33   Link #73
SMage

Episode 3

This may be premature assertion, but I'm going to say that Mouryou no Hako is the best directed anime I've seen this year. The characterization isn't the strongest I've seen and the story is still up in the air, but the atmosphere is deeply engrossing, the music is well used and the visuals are downright beautiful. Since this show has yet to conform to a usual anime plotline, I have no clue where the creators are going to go with this, and at this point in the narrative, it seems that they want to provide more questions than answers. Since I don't won't to get my hopes up too high, I might as well set my expectations low and say that there is a good chance that the show may not live up to what it has laid down. However, as of episode 3, Mouryou no Hako looks like a ballernia who is in the final minutes of an otherwise perfect run.
SMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 08:38   Link #74
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
This may be premature assertion, but I'm going to say that Mouryou no Hako is the best directed anime I've seen this year. The characterization isn't the strongest I've seen and the story is still up in the air, but the atmosphere is deeply engrossing, the music is well used and the visuals are downright beautiful.
Premature or not, I am jumping on this (rather empty, alas) bandwagon, too.

The opening scene of episode three was really creepy and although cliched, the red filters in in few of Yoriko's scenes worked like a charm. The disappearance of Kanako in the end of the episode did manage to surprise me even though we saw the ransom note earlier. There was too much equipment in the room where Kanako was and if add the scary appearance and tons of guards near the black box hospital, I suspect she might be used as guinea pig in some top secret experiments.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 12:12   Link #75
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I don't know if I should feel sorry for Kanako or not. She was being kept alive because of some inheritance issues and then kidnapped for the same reason apparently.

Who thinks that Yoriko manufactured that story about Kanako being pushed? I sort of think that Yoriko did the dirty deed herself or Kanako jumped.
Old 2008-10-27, 12:15   Link #76
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I can't say "best directed" yet. Kurozuka and Kannagi are also worthy contenders for that crown. But I think this has just about everything, including the first stages of characterization.

And so far, I feel sorry for everyone but the apparent lawyer and the blonde doctor. Certainly for Kanako and Yoriko. The opening scene of ep3 was heart-rending. As for the accident, all possibilities are still wide open, for me. Nothing is pushing me in any direction...so to speak.
Old 2008-10-27, 12:18   Link #77
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Who thinks that Yoriko manufactured that story about Kanako being pushed? I sort of think that Yoriko did the dirty deed herself or Kanako jumped.
I just started this series, in the middle of epi 3 at the moment but as soon as everything happened my first thought was Yoriko pushed her. I dont think Kanako jumped and after seeing the beginning of epi 3, Kanako's vision seems to support that. It does look like Yuriko is the one who pushed her but Im still not 100% sure about that.

The timeline of this series is throwing me off, the skipping days and such. I wasnt sure so Ill ask but the, did Kiba-san say Kanako died 6 months later back in epi 2? Right after they talk about transferring her to the hospital and her sister says she wont let her die? I didnt quite understand what he was referring to.

Im liking this series though, I love suspense and needed a good fix of it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 12:39   Link #78
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
My first thought after that scene was that she made it up, though i guess it's pretty impossible to say at this point if she's telling the truth or not. =/
Old 2008-10-27, 14:05   Link #79
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
The timeline of this series is throwing me off, the skipping days and such. I wasnt sure so Ill ask but the, did Kiba-san say Kanako died 6 months later back in epi 2? Right after they talk about transferring her to the hospital and her sister says she wont let her die? I didnt quite understand what he was referring to.

Im liking this series though, I love suspense and needed a good fix of it.
The timeline is confusing me too. I don't think that Kanako is dead yet.

Maybe we should start a timeline for this one. This is sort of like pen and paper RPG time.

Here's my input....

Spoiler for for space conservation only:

We can update and correct it as things progress. This is prob one of those titles that you have to write things down so as not to miss something.

Koganei and Mitaka looks to be neighboring cities apparently.

Last edited by orion; 2008-11-01 at 19:37.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 14:16   Link #80
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Not a bad idea at all orion. I'll help update it as episodes appear.

Tags
clamp, horror, madhouse, supernatural