AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2016-10-05, 20:11   Link #81
bakato

How did these not notice the time difference?
Old 2016-10-05, 21:17   Link #82
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
How did these not notice the time difference?
You mean both MC's? I believe that happened because they live in a timeline where the difference is not noticeable, they didn't stated in the movie how much time it as but it seems like the difference was around 2 years.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 01:14   Link #83
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Mitsuha is 3 year older than Taki, right?
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 16:47   Link #84
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
You mean both MC's? I believe that happened because they live in a timeline where the difference is not noticeable, they didn't stated in the movie how much time it as but it seems like the difference was around 2 years.
I mean how did they not notice they were 3 years apart? They spent nearly a day in each other's body at a time and all those times they used each others' phones they never noticed the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Mitsuha is 3 year older than Taki, right?
Presumably if they were in the same grade in their respective timelines.
Old 2016-10-09, 08:29   Link #85
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Spoiler for spoilers:

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Last edited by Kotohono; 2016-10-09 at 14:13.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 09:44   Link #86
com_gwp

I didn't see anyone post this, so....

Your Name will be opening in Singapore on Nov 3rd, courtesy of Purple Plan. Purple Plan also stated on their FB that they will also open the movie in Malaysia on Nov 8th.

Madmen Entertainment will bring it to Australia on Nov 24th, and Funimation's going to run it in LA from Dec 2-8 for an Oscar consideration (pretty ballsy) before wide release in early 2017.

Source: ANN

I didn't think SEA was gonna get it, so I'm incredibly happy that I'll actually be able to see this in theaters, the way I always wanted to experience a Makoto Shinkai film.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 19:04   Link #87
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

So, early 2017 is when we can reasonably expect a home release?
Old 2016-11-02, 09:21   Link #88
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
So, early 2017 is when we can reasonably expect a home release?
I think the wide release there is referring to a theatrical one. More likely that a English home release would be further down the line, towards the middle part of 2017.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 10:06   Link #89
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I think the wide release there is referring to a theatrical one. More likely that a English home release would be further down the line, towards the middle part of 2017.
I'm perfectly okay with a Japanese language release. Assuming the six month pattern, those are projected to come out in late February 2017 — I was hopeful that it was referring to that.
Old 2016-11-03, 12:08   Link #90
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

A braid of thought through time; a review of 'Your Name'

By J.Y. (Nov 3, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyredleaf (on Facebook)
It features keenly observed animation, a smorgasbord of scenic detail, eye-watering chiaroscuro, lovable characters and a feel-good story with a happy ending.

It's no wonder then that Makoto Shinkai's "Kimi no Na wa" ("Your Name") has been a smash hit in its native Japan, raking in over US$100 million at the box office in just over a month. The film packs all the ingredients a cinema-goer would want and love in a feature-length anime.

But it’s probably for the same reasons that I also felt underwhelmed as I left the theatre tonight, after my first viewing of “Your Name” at a local theatre.

The best animation creators, like all artists, have their distinctive trademarks. Hayao Miyazaki ("Nausicaa", "Princess Mononoke") is known for his love of airplanes, and the imagery of flight is an intrinsic part of most of his animated movies. The late Satoshi Kon ("Paprika", "Millenium Actress") was the master of bending reality through animation, and much of his oeuvre challenges viewers to question what’s real and what’s not.

As an artist and animator, Makoto Shinkai will always be associated with the stunning — and sometimes headache-inducing — use of extravagant lighting (you can think of Shinkai as anime's equivalent of J.J. Abrams, what with their shared liking for explosive lens flare and similar effects).

As a writer and storyteller, meanwhile, Shinkai has an abiding fascination with astronomical phenomena, and a fondness for fate-strung couples separated by time and space. These themes almost always end up in his productions, one way or another.

In other words, once you've watched a Shinkai movie, chances are, you'd feel like you'd seen all the rest of them before. I had the same sense of deja vu while watching "Your Name" as well.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie. I did. But I also feel that Shinkai hasn't done something I find groundbreaking or particularly insightful.

That said, his cinematography and character designs have improved tremendously since "Voices of a Distant Star" (2003) and "The Place Promised In Our Early Days" (2004). I was especially fascinated in the first third of "Your Name", which wonderfully captured — through innovative camera angles and intricately drawn details — the emotions of loving frustration that encapsulate a small town's fading traditions.

I was also very amused by the characterisation of the main characters, as expressed through their speech and body movement. Without giving too much away, I’d just say the main duo (voiced by Mone Kamishiraishi [Mitsuha, the girl] and Ryunosuke Kamiki [Taki, the guy]) spend a lot of time filling each other's shoes, and it was always a hoot to watch how they'd behave during those instances.

But, in the end, despite all the eye candy, "Your Name" just didn’t resonate emotionally, unlike how I felt for weeks after watching "5 Centimetres Per Second" (2007), which remains my favourite Shinkai movie by far.

I think that's just me, though. I tend to favour stories that delve into interpersonal relationships, social issues and humanist musings. I'm a huge anime fan precisely because I've found, over the years, a treasure trove of stories that aren't usually the norm in Western entertainment.

For everyone else, especially first-time anime viewers, I'd highly recommend at least giving "Your Name" a try. It just opened on Nov 3 at several Golden Village cinemas. Many thanks to Purple Plan for bringing the movie to Singapore. It gives fans here the chance to watch the anime on big screens, the way it's meant to be viewed.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 20:34   Link #91
abc0716

Just invited my colleague to watch it on this Sunday, going to see how this movie is.
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-05, 08:22   Link #92
Tormenk

Just watched it today. First Shinkai film and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The characterization for both Taki and Mitsuha was so well done I could tell they had swapped back to their own bodies in their first meeting without much being said. The supporting cast were all enjoyable as well. I probably missed the clues to them being in different timelines during their body-swaps but the various symbolic imagery for bonds and ties were excellently executed .

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-07, 08:28   Link #93
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Does anyone know who's the guy tending the flower shop in the montage near the end? There was a lady walking through a marketplace, whom I presume is what's-her-name's teacher from
Spoiler:
, but I don't recognise the guy in the flower shop.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-08, 06:03   Link #94
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ration/.108554

Here we go fellas. I doubt it will win cuz western bias blah blah cartoons are for kids blah blah... but nice to see recognition.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-08, 10:08   Link #95
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I have yet to see the movie but as usual I care little about spoiler, afterall the deal is the journey most of the times.

Or that's what I thought but after 5cm I was very wary of Shinkai's storyboards so it was necessary to spoil myself at least about the ending. I'll give it a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
Was wary of this when I heard it being compared to 5 cm per second.. Glad I watched it because it is NOTHING like that abomination. I simply despise stories with vague plot to "make a point" or whatever. The characters are 3 dimensional and interesting and funny and I was brought to tears at least twice :')
Spoiler for ending of movie:
Not even on 5cm the MCs really moved on, at least one of them didn't and that hurt.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-08, 10:33   Link #96
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Worth pointing out that all that really means is that it was submitted to the Academy and given an eligibility run before 12/31. Typically one anime gets a token nomination, and it's generally Ghibli. Since The Red Turtle is the closest thing, I'd expect that to get the actual nomination.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-08, 11:22   Link #97
larethian

Quite hard to swallow they didn't realize the
Spoiler:

But I'll swallow it since the movie is not about that. I liked everything about it otherwise and the ending is fitting even though some of audience were somewhat dissatisfied. 8/10 if I ignored the setting.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-12, 10:38   Link #98
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Does anyone know who's the guy tending the flower shop in the montage near the end? There was a lady walking through a marketplace, whom I presume is what's-her-name's teacher from
Spoiler:
, but I don't recognise the guy in the flower shop.
I think he is Taki's friend with the glasses.
Old 2016-11-12, 10:42   Link #99
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

They'll be showing the movie here in the Philippines. Yay!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-12, 11:49   Link #100
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The Prairie provinces of Canada is getting the shaft, it seems.