AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-17, 00:00   Link #41
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Celestial Kitsune beat me to blogging on it, but even though I could only come up with 20 screenshots for it (quite low ._.), I did like it. I've read Art of Seduction, and while I can bish him for being a casanova (yet another 'asshat'? :P), it's probably different when you're actually involved -- and a lot of the women do enjoy their time with him. It's what seducers do. ^^

Agreement with Seji-sensei and a few others who recognised Kousuke Atari's voice. ^^ And that the OP is rather o.O.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 05:59   Link #42
Exias
Sock Monster
*Fansubber

There were indeed issues with sync on the 480p version, shows why you shouldn't sub at 2AM. The 720p version that is being released shortly won't have any of these issues.
Exias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 08:30   Link #43
arkxkra
全力全開

erm, just watch ep1, although I don't like the drawing style (personal favor), but it quite beautiful as well (in some sense).

So this tale was actually talking about the Genji love story? I found it quite interest (dunno why), so will continue watching.
Old 2009-01-17, 09:44   Link #44
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Also if S.E.N.S is doing the music, Im doubly in.
Remember all the beautiful pieces from xxxHolic, like Deja view, Moderato and Lost Memory? It's pieces like that which are used all the time in this show. It's the same with a lot of J-Drama scores they do scores for. So glad they've been given the chance to do a similar work in Japanese animation.

Anyway, make sure you let me know what you think of the score.

I would have loved to hear Atari Kosuke sing the OP for this series, though saying that i don't believe he's worked on an OP yet. Shame.

Also regarding the original book, i plan to check it out, though i'm not sure if i'll wait until the series has finished.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2009-01-17 at 09:58.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 10:52   Link #45
LKK

Quick question from the sub. How would "Hikaru-kimi-sama" translate into English? Would it translate as "my lord Hikaru"?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 14:14   Link #46
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The best translation is in Penguin, by Royall Tyler.
Yes, it is an excellent translation, but the choice will depend on what a reader wants from the book. I covered major Genji translations to English in this post.
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 14:41   Link #47
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Kitsune View Post
Yes, it is an excellent translation, but the choice will depend on what a reader wants from the book. I covered major Genji translations to English in this post.
That's an excellent post you link to. I love Waley's prose. I always felt Seidensticker (whom you prefer) sounded a bit awkward. Tyler has Seidensticker's accuracy with prose closer in quality to Waley, for me. Maybe I have a British bias (Waley was English, Seidensticker is/was American, Tyler is in Australia). The tiny bit of the original I've been able to read is amazing, with huge long sentences meandering on and on so beautifully. Kind of like the most beautiful English 17th-18th-century prose.

@LKK -- "My Lord Hikaru" for "Hikaru Kimi-sama" sounds reasonable to me, but the "Hikaru" is not part of his name, it is a kind of nickname: "Shining." So: "My Shining Lord," "My Brilliant Lord"? I'm not sure if the "Hikaru Kimi-sama" is in the original or is something they made up. He is often referred to a "Hikaru Genji," "the Shining (member of the) Gen clan." For anyone who doesn't know, Genji was the Emperor's son, but because his mother didn't have relatives who could protect him politically as Emperor, his father made him a commoner, making him part of the Gen or Minamoto clan.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-17 at 14:57.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 15:50   Link #48
achirist

I've read the novel several times (both waley and tyler translations,) and I really adored it. As for this anime - I don't like the way Genji and To No Chujo's adult faces are drawn. Also, this episode struck me as rather odd - I'm not sure who the woman he was with in the beginning was (Yugao? there seemed to be something along the lines of evening flower implied - but that is one of my favorite stories in the book, so I hope they could show it in full.) I fully agree that the opening was bad and out of place.

I don't think that this strange elaboration on child-Genji and Fujitsubo's friendship was that bad, though I don't prefer it. It must be stressed that the Emporer had many wives or consorts, all with their own children, so it definitely isn't likely that any woman the emperor took on would presume themselves to be in the position Genji's mother. As such, there wasn't anything like that in the novel.

I wonder, is Exinet the only group subbing this series?

Last edited by achirist; 2009-01-17 at 16:00.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 17:43   Link #49
Cal-Reflector

I own a Chinese and an English translation of Tales of Genji, but haven't got around to reading them. I was surprised to learn however that Genji is the archtypical original Harem Lead, and that his harem includes a wide, wide, wide range.

Damn.

Edit: Without having read the novel first, I like anime Genji pretty well so far. Nice music, pretty effects, and a unique art style.

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2009-01-17 at 18:23.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 19:44   Link #50
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Unlike modern harem leads, however, he's a skilled seducer and doesn't run screaming from women.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 23:01   Link #51
StoneCloud

Who Subs this anime?
StoneCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 23:07   Link #52
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
There were indeed issues with sync on the 480p version, shows why you shouldn't sub at 2AM. The 720p version that is being released shortly won't have any of these issues.
Quick question: I watched the 480p version. I could notice some issues with syncing at the beginning of the episode. Does it account for the extreme continuity issues throughout the rest of the episode? (I didn't notice any syncing issues after the first minute or so).

Seriously, I think there's something definitely wrong with this anime, somewhere. I just want to make sure it's the encoding, because if it's not, I'm going to be quite disappointed at a Noitamina production making some quite silly amateur directing mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I like artsy stuff as the next elitist fan, but some things were completely wrong. And I'm even giving them a free pass on the substandard quality of the animation and the extreme amount of flashy tricks they pulled to avoid drawing extra frames.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 23:16   Link #53
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Kitsune View Post

Thank you for this very helpful guide as I was planning on reading it eventually. This series might actually encourage me to read it sooner. Although part of me thinks I should read the book first. But then this is a Noitamina series with Sakurai Takahiro and that is very enticing.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 23:34   Link #54
Nerroth
NePoi!

Just saw ep 1 on Veoh - very sad, and I noted the hint at Heian-kyo's strict customs.

(The Kyoto cho had its origins in square areas laid out in old Heian-kyo - patterned after Xi'an - which were walled, and from which commoners were mostly forbidden to enter or leave. It was the onset of the shogunate which saw these walls begin to crumble, since the focus of power had shifted to Kamakura and to the military rulers, and the strict societal rules keeping the order were less vigorously enforced.)

Oh, and I hope a sub group will do avi releases - my Archos portable media player doesn't care for mkv files...

Last edited by Nerroth; 2009-01-17 at 23:44.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 00:29   Link #55
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Oh man....TakaSaku and Tomokazu Sugita in the same anime...I almost didnt make it through the first 4 mins due to I kept hitting rewind to hear them talking

Ill have to get used to the animation style but the seiyuu and music is enough to keep me interested for now
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 02:03   Link #56
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
@LKK -- "My Lord Hikaru" for "Hikaru Kimi-sama" sounds reasonable to me, but the "Hikaru" is not part of his name, it is a kind of nickname: "Shining." So: "My Shining Lord," "My Brilliant Lord"? I'm not sure if the "Hikaru Kimi-sama" is in the original or is something they made up. He is often referred to a "Hikaru Genji," "the Shining (member of the) Gen clan." For anyone who doesn't know, Genji was the Emperor's son, but because his mother didn't have relatives who could protect him politically as Emperor, his father made him a commoner, making him part of the Gen or Minamoto clan.
"O Shining One?"

In fact, are not the names most (all?) of the characters are addressed by nicknames , epithets, or titles and not given names? Like Genji's mother Kiritsubo-no-koi is the "Concubine of the Paulownia Chamber", Fujitsubo-no-nyobo "Lady of the Wisteria Chamber"?

Hmm, looking good so far, but what a godsawful OP.

Last edited by glyph; 2009-01-18 at 02:18.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 02:10   Link #57
Thingle
Banned

Hikaru's a freaking stud. But it seems that he's fussing over the wrong woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Quick question: I watched the 480p version. I could notice some issues with syncing at the beginning of the episode. Does it account for the extreme continuity issues throughout the rest of the episode? (I didn't notice any syncing issues after the first minute or so).

Seriously, I think there's something definitely wrong with this anime, somewhere. I just want to make sure it's the encoding, because if it's not, I'm going to be quite disappointed at a Noitamina production making some quite silly amateur directing mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I like artsy stuff as the next elitist fan, but some things were completely wrong. And I'm even giving them a free pass on the substandard quality of the animation and the extreme amount of flashy tricks they pulled to avoid drawing extra frames.
Yea there's something definitely wrong with the audio. I even thought I heard commercial break sounds somewhere in the episode. But then again, it's free so just enjoy
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 07:14   Link #58
Mistressofburden
Nire-subs

Send a message via Yahoo to Mistressofburden
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCloud View Post
Who Subs this anime?
Live-eviL
Yoroshiku(not sure :S)
Strawberry Mint Subs
Nire-subs
Exinet Fansubs
Mistressofburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 16:37   Link #59
Irkalla
I asked for this

Watched the first ep, didn't expect the shojo kinda art, but it's still better than the most moe kinda art out there right now. Also the seiyus are
Old 2009-01-18, 17:06   Link #60
Exias
Sock Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post

There are sporadic issues as a result of the source raw and encode, which were cleared up in the 720p version. All around, it's worth deleting the 480p and getting the other version; as it also has minor script fixes.
Exias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina