Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-14, 20:35   Link #1
Mamoru-kun
まもるくん

Halloween Anime

I run a viewing for an anime club and I would like to show some anime Halloween episodes. Google really wasn't much help. Does anyone know of any???
Old 2009-10-14, 21:10   Link #2
Raiga
tl;dr

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, perhaps? I mean, it's horror-ish.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:30   Link #3
Mamoru-kun
まもるくん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, perhaps? I mean, it's horror-ish.
It looks interesting. I have been showing Rosario+Vampire because it has monsters but it really doesn't fit the Halloween theme very much.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:33   Link #4
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You should try Soul Eater, 1st episode even comes with pumpkins.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-10-14, 21:44   Link #5
Mamoru-kun
まもるくん

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You should try Soul Eater, 1st episode even comes with pumpkins.
Pumpkins!!! Yes. That's what I want to show. But I would really like an anime with characters actually celebrating Halloween. I don't think they celebrate it in Japan so it has been hard to find.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:50   Link #6
Cryonosis
~Desu

L.I.L.Y Cat Is a horror flick that I remember from the classic sci-fi channel days.

Elfen Lied leaves some pretty good mental scars.

Uhm, Perfect blue is another great option.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is perfect if you need an english dub.

And uh, you know the classic anime, Akira would classify as a horror too.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:51   Link #7
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamoru-kun View Post
Pumpkins!!! Yes. That's what I want to show. But I would really like an anime with characters actually celebrating Halloween. I don't think they celebrate it in Japan so it has been hard to find.
I think they do, actually. But I second Soul Eater. If I had to describe the show's aesthetic in one word, it would be "Halloweenish." Crooked stone avenues, teetering houses, a moon that tends to drip blood and a sun that laughs evilly, plenty of skulls, witches, monsters, so on and so forth. Even if they don't actually celebrate the holiday, it definitely fits, IMO.
Old 2009-10-15, 07:59   Link #8
NoLongerSane

You could try these animes if it were to help out with the Holloween them of Ghost and Monsters.

Boogiepop Phantom
SoulTaker
Betterman
Soul Eater

Forgot to add the Darkstalkers OVA's to the list. If you want ( but I warn you) the TV series too.

Last edited by NoLongerSane; 2009-10-15 at 08:54.
Old 2009-10-15, 08:29   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ghost Hunt Not centered around Halloween but some of the epis are pretty darn creepy!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-10-15, 09:18   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Haunted Junction might be fun.
Old 2009-10-15, 12:43   Link #11
Haladflire65
*Artist

If you want scary, try Hellsing... That's in my sig. Vampires blowing things up, with tons of scares and gore. The OVA series is better, by the way. Also comes with zombies as a bonus!

I third or fourth Soul Eater. It's actually kinda creepy in some of the episodes.
Old 2009-10-15, 13:38   Link #12
james0246

Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu - Very "Halloweenish" overly stylized anime featuring pumpkins, witches (obviously), flying brooms, fairies (kind of), etc. Not really any Halloween Day episode per see, but the overall feel is very reminiscent of the holiday.

That being said Blood is set on Halloween day, has characters dressed in Halloween costumes, and has a Halloween party...sadly enough, it is set on an American base. So, it is a Halloween Anime, but the characters celebrating the holiday are American...

I also seem to remember that an early episode of Urusei Yatsura focuses on a Halloween party...then again, I could be wrong . Along similar lines, there is a Halloween Party in episode 21 of Ouran High School Host Club ...but the actual holiday isn't covered that much...

Last edited by james0246; 2009-10-15 at 14:04.
Old 2009-10-15, 14:01   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Mr. Pumpkin Head here?
He's especially scary when teamed up with his gal Miria!

I don't think there are any other Halloween references in Baccano!, though.
Old 2009-10-15, 17:37   Link #14
TCman

Hi,

I can recommend "Ghost Stories" (Gakkō no Kaidan), preferbly the one with Japanese audio + english subs, since the English (ADV) dub is really bad and the script is totally butchered and there's retardation of the characters. The Animax English dub version is okay since it still follows the Japanese script. Ghost Stories is one of my favorite anime series about ghosts and demons.

There's also Ghost Hunt which is originally a light novel written by Fuyumi Ono (who also wrote "the Twelve Kingdoms").

Furthermore, I can recommend Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales which contain 3 different stories. And out of the third story, Bake Neko, the creators of the anime have make a spin-off anime, Mononoke, which is also a very nice anime about youkai/demons and ghosts.

Hell Girl (Jigoku Shoujo) the first and second season is also really good, particularly the last part of both seasons.

Another one I personally really like is Tactics, an anime series with a mixture of ghosts, demons, mystery and detective elements.

And if you want a specific Halloween episode you can try out episode 6 of Wallflower/Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge and episode 21 of Ouran High School Host Club as suggested by James0246.

Have fun!

Last edited by TCman; 2009-10-15 at 17:57.
Old 2009-10-15, 22:18   Link #15
Mamoru-kun
まもるくん

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely show the Ouran High episode. I prefer comedy so it works well for me.

Our club owns Hell Girl but I can't get a hold of the president to have him bring it so maybe next time.
Old 2009-10-16, 00:07   Link #16
qwertyuiopz

ghost hunt for sure has the most halloween feel
Old 2009-10-16, 13:31   Link #17
kari5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I think they do, actually. But I second Soul Eater. If I had to describe the show's aesthetic in one word, it would be "Halloweenish." Crooked stone avenues, teetering houses, a moon that tends to drip blood and a sun that laughs evilly, plenty of skulls, witches, monsters, so on and so forth. Even if they don't actually celebrate the holiday, it definitely fits, IMO.
Actually, Japanese don't celebrate it. I took a few Japanese transfer students (from my university) trick or treating since they had never done it before. They felt really awkward walking around in a costume and actually knocking on people's doors asking for candy.
Old 2009-10-17, 06:35   Link #18
goddessofwings

I am going to be watching Bakemonogatari and Kara No Kyoukai and maybe some higurashi.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:10   Link #19
raito20

I found alot of the style in Soul Eater to be Halloween Oriented, but i don't think anyone celebrates it there like you've requested, very nice anime regardless ^_~.
Old 2009-10-19, 15:08   Link #20
Vagrant0

Have to remember that there is quite a bit of difference culturally. In the US, most of the scary type stuff starts happening in the fall, with many aspects linked to European pagan traditions and modern folklore. In Japan, the scary type stuff happens in the middle of summer, and does not have many of those western references.

Although it might sound like sacrilege, you really might be better off just showing Simpsons episodes. No, it's not anime, but it's about as close as you'll be getting to any sort of real Halloween-ish episodes in an animated format without having to really dig around in the vintage stuff.

Then again, the other option would be to show some of those episodes which feature the Japanese traditions instead of Western ones. There are many series which feature things like tests of courage.

Or, just find some scary anime.
Closed Thread