AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-05, 15:44   Link #81
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

I'm not referring to you. Did I mention you somewhere ? I would have told you directly if that was the case.
Overall I agree with you about the animation of the episode. If I was aiming for you I would not have stated something from a general point of view.
Old 2014-07-05, 15:50   Link #82
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

OK everyone back on topic to the actual episode now. No more calling people out just cuz their opinion doesn't match yours. Such is life. Discuss the episode.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 17:07   Link #83
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

ahh sailor moon, I remember my 9 year old self watching this one on weekends, and while I didn't care much about the plot, knowing only that the monster of the week will be defeated before the episode ends, I remember eagerly waiting for that rose that tuxedo mask always throws to announce his presence.

this one though, hmm.. I'd say that it would have been better without the CG scenes, and that screenshot was hilarious! they also look like 30 somethings trying to pose as teenage girls, not to mention the VA..

oh well, looks like I still haven't found any series this season that I think is worth watching.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 17:17   Link #84
KuronaFanboy
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
this one though, hmm.. I'd say that it would have been better without the CG scenes, and that screenshot was hilarious! they also look like 30 somethings trying to pose as teenage girls, not to mention the VA..
That really bothers me too. It feels like they're trying to make the girls attractive and sexy despite being, what, 14? 15? I forget what age each of them is, but I clearly remember that they're all mid-teens, not late-teens or young adults. Coupled with keeping the costumes identical (especially skirt length) it pretty much screams "hey all you lonely men between ages 20 and 40, watch our anime =D" instead of... well, even with its designs, there was no doubt the original Sailor Moon hit its target audience of "children and girls". I clearly remember all the other boys, myself included, cared a lot more about DBZ and other shonens around that time period, and only girls would talk about Sailor Moon.

Granted a part of it was that the few boys who watched it were ashamed and didn't want people to know, so there might have been more than that, but even then we were all generally kids anyway.

Last edited by KuronaFanboy; 2014-07-05 at 17:29.
KuronaFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 17:31   Link #85
HandofFate

The girls being sexy and attractive is to attract the girl demographic as well.

The shoujo girl demographic wants to also imagine themselves as looking older, tall, pretty, and strong. And grabbing an older mature guy as well.
Old 2014-07-05, 17:47   Link #86
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Moon prism power make up!!!
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 17:47   Link #87
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

CGI left me a bit wondering... it's a transformation sequence: it is, LITERALLY, the one single piece of animation they're going to recycle more in the whole series. And they couldn't bother animating it by hand? Geez, what a half assed job :P.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 17:57   Link #88
KuronaFanboy
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
The girls being sexy and attractive is to attract the girl demographic as well.

The shoujo girl demographic wants to also imagine themselves as looking older, tall, pretty, and strong. And grabbing an older mature guy as well.
I didn't know that. It makes a bit more sense now, but it's still a bit heavy.
KuronaFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 18:04   Link #89
Circlebutton
Occasional Occasionalist.

Just gonna leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dXOz_XZL8
Old 2014-07-05, 19:53   Link #90
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The first episode was pretty good. It reminds me a lot of the original Sailor Moon, and I'm largely content with it.

The character designs are a bit longer/thinner than I'd like, as I made well-known on the upcoming series thread for this show, but it didn't look quite as bad in animation as I had feared it might. At least it doesn't yet, with just Sailor Moon alone.

The opening sequence was nice, although it honestly made me think more of the old Star Trek: TNG intro than it did Sailor Moon.

The episode did a decent job of kicking things off, with solid introductions for Usagi, Luna, and Tuxedo Kamen.

So, on the whole, I'm pretty pleased.

I had been debating with myself whether or not to reveal the existence of this to my two 26 year old sisters. They loved Sailor Moon in the 90s, but their familiarity is strictly with the English dub anime, and they're not anime fans in general. The episode was good enough that I felt confident in showing the episode to them, after giving a short explanation on subtitles and it being in Japanese. My dark-haired sister seemed to enjoy it a fair bit and found it cute how some lines were said in English, while my blonde-haired sister decided she'd wait until tomorrow (or later) to watch all of it (she just watched the OP, she did like how Queen Beryl looked in it). I think both would prefer it in English dub, given that's how they remember it, and they haven't really watched a lot of subtitled entertainment to the best of my knowledge. So I hope it gets an English dub at some point.

Still, they both seemed to like me showing it to them, so that's good.
Old 2014-07-05, 20:48   Link #91
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Nice first episode Usagi still being Usagi
Old 2014-07-05, 23:15   Link #92
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Okay, the fist couple minutes made me think of Star Trek: TNG so much that I ended up making this, mostly just for a laugh. I dub it Moon Trek!

I think the audio fits the visuals surprisingly well in this mash-up. I hope other Sailor Moon fans here agree.
Old 2014-07-05, 23:25   Link #93
dmaxzero

I enjoyed the heck of it, more than I should have. Had goose bumps when she transformed.
I didn't find the animation awful, was actually ok, for me at least.

I smiled the whole 30 minutes... pure nostalgia.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 23:58   Link #94
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

I'm gonna watch this episode even though it would be kind of --- since I am a guy. But I don't care.
Old 2014-07-06, 00:05   Link #95
MCAL

Confession Time. Have not seen a single episode of the original Sailor Moon and have not read a single chapter of the manga, so this was my first Sailor Moon experience.

It's decent, I suppose. There isn't going to be really much to talk about, so I'll just leave it at that. I wasn't bothered by the CGI transformation at all. In fact, it was decent.
MCAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 00:12   Link #96
minaku
Princess of Hades

Actually, the episode wasn't so bad as a whole, what was animated, was animated good, but there were not a lot of animated scenes to begin with. Still happy that the CGI is going to be limited to the transformations, but I hope they at least improve it for later episodes and/or Blu ray release. While there wasn't a lot of reaction faces, in the preview for the next episode they tease a very expressive one. Hope they try to animate more. Otherwise, while I was kind of disappointed by some frames in the trailer, showing Usagi not so appealing, I am relieved. For me in the most part of the episode everyone looked gorgeous. I have a lot of issues with the CGI and the movements, but I love the appearances of the characters so far. And I seriously can't find anything wrong with the VAs. Every one sound so good, especially Umino and this girl with the short hair. Kotono is still quite good, the voice of Naru was kind a snobbish - being beautiful, smart and rich spoil some people I liked her voice so far, especially when she got jealous of Umino's note. Umino is extremely geeky now as a voice and I liked it. Mamoru sounds pretty mature, but in a good way, very sexy and mysterious voice. So I am pleased with the voice acting, but I am less than impressed with the music. I admit there was a lot of BGM used in this episode, some anime titles doesn't have so many different tracks in their entire run. Unfortunately after three times watching the episode I can't remember even a single one of this melodies and still they fit the atmosphere of the anime quite nice, it's just unmemorial for me. This, combined with the CGI and the lack of movement, makes me worry...
Old 2014-07-06, 02:18   Link #97
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuronaFanboy View Post
That really bothers me too. It feels like they're trying to make the girls attractive and sexy despite being, what, 14? 15? I forget what age each of them is, but I clearly remember that they're all mid-teens, not late-teens or young adults.
usagi clearly states that she's 14. I think the others are older by 1-2 years, which puts their age at around 14-16.

I just like to think that usagi and the others just got a little older as well, hence their character designs.

Quote:
I clearly remember all the other boys, myself included, cared a lot more about DBZ and other shonens around that time period, and only girls would talk about Sailor Moon.

Granted a part of it was that the few boys who watched it were ashamed and didn't want people to know, so there might have been more than that, but even then we were all generally kids anyway.
I do remember discussing the latest episode with at least 1 other boy, and 1-2 girls, though I'm not sure if he's still a boy right now lol.

at that time those distinctions didn't matter to me anyway, I always watched what I wanted to watch, though of course I watched more of the shounen shows than magical girl ones, it just so happened that sailor moon was popular enough so I watched it

Quote:
Just gonna leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dXOz_XZL8
ah.. moonlight densetsu.. is this the official english lyrics for that song?

This, I think, is the biggest wasted opportunity with regards to this episode. They could have played the iconic OP of sailor moon anytime during the episode and it would have been infinitely better, given that most viewers who would check this out during the first episode would have been those who watched it before.

not that I have anything against new viewers, or seek to discourage them, if you enjoyed the first episode then by all means, watch the subsequent ones I think I'm just taken over by nostalgia
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 03:05   Link #98
Sakuya
*Artist

I got up early just to watch it and it brought back so many childhood memories. It was a good first episode. All the worries I had with the animation before was actually not noticeable at all. The BGM and choir was pretty good, I liked the one played during the first dream sequence as well as the attack BGM. The transformation music was not memorable at all unfortunately except for the first part when she calls out her phrase. That scene was spectacularly though, I loved how they brought back her thrusting her hand in the air. Can you imagine how awesome the entire sequence would've looked if it was all done in 2D?! That was my only major disappointment.

The monster of the day was kind of a bummer. Her design was not as scary as the original's or the manga's.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 03:06   Link #99
Amalia2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Yea, one of the surprising things I found out about the Sailor Moon source material is that despite the original anime being like 200+ episodes or something, which lead me to think it was a manga series on the scale of Dragonball and DragonballZ in chapters.

The actual manga is only 50 or chapters in total.
Sailormoon has 60 chapters... the 200 episodes was only because of the anime with all the fillers and stuff... So I'm crossing fingers to watch all of the chapters getting animated... Besides Naoko Takeuchi was pretty annoyed back in the 90's that they didn't make Sailor Cosmos... So it's pay back time...??? and screen time for us? I sure hope so....

Other than that as I said before...Sailor Moon was one of my favorite stories... I liked mamoru a lot and I thought that the love story was just fine.. (I had recently overcome the trauma that the love story Candy/Terry had left from Candy Candy so..yeah ).

In overall I am not dropping the series of course and I'm looking forward to the next episodes...Although I hate the fact that there will be only 2 episodes each month

(Ahh the nostalgia.... I remember skipping the first period sometimes just to watch a good episode hehehe good thing it follows the manga and not the anime... )

P.S I wish I did hear the moonlight densetsu sometime in the series though....
Amalia2611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 03:22   Link #100
revive4563

I too watched this series for the first time.
CGI transformation is kinda cheap but maybe it's ok for little girls.
btw I found Outer planets transformation (YouTube link) and it's more cool and mature.
Is Sailor moon most childish (or little sister) among them?
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahou shoujo, remake, sailor moon