AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-30, 07:21   Link #241
Jaden

The "17 year old" voice actress..I heard about her a long time ago, and the joke still hasn't gotten old? I guess it's a prime example of self-conscious duty then :P
Old 2008-01-30, 09:55   Link #242
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched the [a.f.k.] sub of Episode 3.

The first half was just a fairly pointless segment about Fujiyoshi having trouble drawing for Comiket, but the purpose of it all was pure, simple, references. There are so [beep]in' many I can't keep track of what there are. Most of it seems to be Sunrise material though; off the top of my head I can note Lelouch (Code Geass, Sunrise), Setsuna F. Seiei (Gundam 00, Sunrise), Allelujah Haptism (Gundam 00, Sunrise), "Cape of Thirty Years" (Shiraishi Minoru, KyoAni), the One Piece crew (Toei, if I didn't remember wrong), "WAS THAT A FREEDOM/JUSTICE SYMMETRICAL DOCKING SCENE?!?!?!" (Gundam Seed, Sunrise), "I don't believe it, they're showing the previous season's OP on her TV!", among many others. Not to mention Inoue Kikuko of "17 years old!" fame on the Zetsubou Sensei radio drama.

The second half was like two SZS episodes in one, with Zetsubou Sensei and his Zetsubou Shoujo-tachi going through two social issues in half an episode. Classic SZS episode in half the time.

I'm beginning to think that there's far more skill in writing SZS material than is immediately apparent; for Kumeta to be able to point out the smallest quirks in Japanese society, even if the purpose is merely to exaggerate them, speaks of his having an incredibly high level of the sociological imagination.

Spoiler for something utterly pointless in a grandiose and overdramatic manner:

In any case, it seems like from now on, I'll be watching Z: SZS for more than just mindless comedy. Great stuff, worthy of nothing less than a 10/10.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 10:12   Link #243
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
tl;dr

anyway, it was great episode, lots of laugh, especially the "inside" joke for otaku's (eternally 17 years old! )

lol.

mind you had to pause a lot just to read the background text, makes this episodes have a lot of replay value. wonder if that's the case? overload of information!

Almost Shirow Matsumune manga style.
Old 2008-01-30, 16:36   Link #244
ellifeedn
Thinker

After seeing ep3 I want to know when the DVD for this episode is coming out.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 16:42   Link #245
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
When my essay assignment was announced I was all "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO~~~!!!" and threw a trashcan at someone.
Then when I logged on and saw Zoku ep 3 has been released, I was all "YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY~~!!" and threw a trashcan at someone.

Man, the topics in this episode hits so close to home.
-I'm nearly twenty and I already worry about retirement.
-I bug my friends to watch SZS.
-My friends tell me shocking information through AIM.

D:

Quote:

The first half was just a fairly pointless segment about Fujiyoshi having trouble drawing for Comiket, but the purpose of it all was pure, simple, references. There are so [beep]in' many I can't keep track of what there are. Most of it seems to be Sunrise material though; off the top of my head I can note Lelouch (Code Geass, Sunrise), Setsuna F. Seiei (Gundam 00, Sunrise), Allelujah Haptism (Gundam 00, Sunrise), "Cape of Thirty Years" (Shiraishi Minoru, KyoAni), the One Piece crew (Toei, if I didn't remember wrong), "WAS THAT A FREEDOM/JUSTICE SYMMETRICAL DOCKING SCENE?!?!?!" (Gundam Seed, Sunrise), "I don't believe it, they're showing the previous season's OP on her TV!", among many others. Not to mention Inoue Kikuko of "17 years old!" fame on the Zetsubou Sensei radio drama.
There was like a Final Fantasy VII figure in there somewhere. I think it was Zack? All I know is it was wearing a SOLDIER uniform.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 18:59   Link #246
Sol Falling

Quote:

well, the first half had its share of the usual Zetsubou commentary as well, through the radio in the background. Theme was people forgetting their age.

I agree about being impressed with the sociological aspect of the show, though I haven't had any experience studying sociology or anything. In terms of accuracy, though, I wasn't too sure about stuff like "My husband's in prison, so I haven't had enough brawn around the house" being serious portrayals of people in reality.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 20:12   Link #247
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I agree about being impressed with the sociological aspect of the show, though I haven't had any experience studying sociology or anything. In terms of accuracy, though, I wasn't too sure about stuff like "My husband's in prison, so I haven't had enough brawn around the house" being serious portrayals of people in reality.
That would be the exaggeration that makes the comedy. Ascaloth is right on with the sociological perspective. These things are definitely true in both Japan and most of Asia, it's just that you never realize how ridiculous it is since it's been part of your culture (from the POV of a Japanese viewer). I usually get more amusement from laughing at myself when I realize that I do the very same things (excessive self-blame, dropping the bomb on an IM convo, along with almost every theme from SZS).

They say Lucky Star has a lot of cultural humor, and is not approachable. That is true, but those references are not the main part of the comedy like it is for SZS. Along with a somewhat "avant-garde" studio and director, I can see why it got last in the AS Awards.
Old 2008-01-30, 21:36   Link #248
ellifeedn
Thinker

Since this series goes on about social issues and problems I wonder if it'll go into politics. God knows that Itoshiki-sensei wouldn't be the only one in despair over that.

EDIT: After seeing Shigofumi moved to the licensed section I wonder if the same will happen here and the earlier thread.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 21:51   Link #249
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Since this series goes on about social issues and problems I wonder if it'll go into politics. God knows that Itoshiki-sensei wouldn't be the only one in despair over that.

EDIT: After seeing Shigofumi moved to the licensed section I wonder if the same will happen here and the earlier thread.
If this is licensed, a.f.k. will stop subbing it and that's a bad thing.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 23:14   Link #250
vas_a_morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If this is licensed, a.f.k. will stop subbing it and that's a bad thing.
Insert despair joke.
vas_a_morir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 23:15   Link #251
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

If something is licensed , it will be the frist season, I don't think than someone would licencse both serie, at lease if the 2th season is not finish yet.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 00:07   Link #252
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
If something is licensed , it will be the frist season, I don't think than someone would licencse both serie, at lease if the 2th season is not finish yet.
Shigofumi isn't finished either and Bandai just licensed it.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 00:41   Link #253
plzd0ntkeelme
self-proclaimed otaku

Ep3 is nice, especially the fanservice. It's less bizarre than prev ep and the comedy seems to make more sense. The over dramatization segment makes me laugh like I haven't for a long time. Pure comedy gold.
plzd0ntkeelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 02:24   Link #254
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I just had a thought about the whole "something pointless in a grandiose, overdramatic fashion".....

Isn't that what the "potato chip-eating scene" in Death Note is all about?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 02:37   Link #255
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Let's not kid ourselves about any type of serious message in Zetsubo Sensei. There is none. Even if there' some traces of it, it's all in silly outlook. It's definitely not about some study in psychology or sociology as it is just pointing out the layman problems and laying on a false pretense of a buzz word then running with it.

"OH NO, EVERYONE HAS WEIRD CELLPHONE TONES"
>Commence all sorts of weird cellphone tones and Zetsubo sensei going nuts over it.

Which is perfectly fine since it's so hilarious and insanely over the top all the time.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 02:51   Link #256
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Quote:
I just had a thought about the whole "something pointless in a grandiose, overdramatic fashion".....

Isn't that what the "potato chip-eating scene" in Death Note is all about?
You know, that matches everything about all the anime about mundane things but makes it all suspenseful and dramatic like Hikaru no Go, Akagi or that winemaker one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Let's not kid ourselves about any type of serious message in Zetsubo Sensei. There is none. Even if there' some traces of it, it's all in silly outlook. It's definitely not about some study in psychology or sociology as it is just pointing out the layman problems and laying on a false pretense of a buzz word then running with it.

>Commence all sorts of weird cellphone tones and Zetsubo sensei going nuts over it.

Which is perfectly fine since it's so hilarious and insanely over the top all the time.
I wish people would say that about FLCL. Then again, even if there is no philosophical message in the show, SZS still makes great points about this world.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 03:18   Link #257
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post

Actually, that's all they need to do to qualify as satire pretty much.

The rest of the thinking can be done in the audiences' head. If we are too stupid to expand on the message by ourselves (not to say that anyone here is, since obviously we are discussing the stuff -- it's a general "we"), then spelling it out the show will probably just dampen the comedy.

Laugh > Lecture in gaining people's attention, IMO.

*tempted to bring Derrida into the discussion, then realizes that Derrida is probably the worst offender of SZS ep 13's satire ever*
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 09:44   Link #258
Chrono Helix

I do feel that quite often I find myself thinking "hmm, now that I think about it, it does make sense..."
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 02:17   Link #259
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
*tempted to bring Derrida into the discussion, then realizes that Derrida is probably the worst offender of SZS ep 13's satire ever*
episode 13? You must mean episode 12. Or the bonus ep. Or episode 1 of the second season.

How about I just let you think about that.

yeah...
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 15:56   Link #260
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Spoiler for if Kaede sees this Im sure she'll sue:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gag, shaft, shounen, social satire