AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

View Poll Results: Soul Eater - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 19 25.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 37.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 4.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-27, 17:31   Link #61
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wervy View Post
eh, seemed like this may be a worthwhile series at first, but I am pretty sure now its just going to be some shonen crap with fanservice to keep people watching.
Then they are going to be disappointed since pass ep4, there isn't going to be any fanservice for quite a long time.
Old 2008-04-27, 21:00   Link #62
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Kid really reminded me of Tamaki, there....
They're voiced by the same guy, so it's no wonder the same magic on the character is applied to them xD Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Death the kid is so cool...A shinigami on a skateboard with sister 45 caliber pistols and who shoots with his pinkies is pretty damn dope...
I love it that he shoots with his pinkies though xD It's something uncommon, and honestly damn difficult compare to using pointing fingers xD He's that good

Quote:
eh, seemed like this may be a worthwhile series at first, but I am pretty sure now its just going to be some shonen crap with fanservice to keep people watching.
Some shonen series depend on fanservice, but I assure you Soul Eater is not one of them xD It can remain awesome even without the fanservice
And besides, as the series progresses, the fanservice becomes lesser and lesser xD (putting aside the part with Blair in one of the later chapters though ^^
Old 2008-04-28, 01:46   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... I'm here because this show *doesn't* seem like "the usual shounen crap". It has a flavor I don't see in the usual examples.
Old 2008-04-28, 06:30   Link #64
Medousa
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Medousa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
I love it that he shoots with his pinkies though xD It's something uncommon, and honestly damn difficult compare to using pointing fingers xD He's that good
Yeah! xD It look like so damn difficult to shoot with the pinkies.O_O In the manga, it never surprised me (Well, in Soul Eater, almos everything is possible.o_O) but in the anime ... It's so cool ... XD
Old 2008-04-28, 09:26   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wellllll,,, obviously that style was conceptualized by someone who has never fired or even held a weapon. Do *not* try that at home, so to speak.
Odds are you will break a finger, have the pinky side of your hands stripped off by the auto-recoil, and probably shoot yourself in the knee or groin.

Looks very cool for fantasy purposes though.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-30 at 16:46.
Old 2008-04-29, 14:39   Link #66
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, as always, BONES' shounen series seem like the only thing I can digest from this genre. They've proved themselves to be one of the studios with the best quality and the best style around several times now, and this series is just the best example.

I can't even complain about Maka's voice--as hated as she is, she's doing a terrific job if you take in mind this is her first performance ever. I'm sure she's going to get the hang of it with the coming episodes, and hopefully public opinion of her will turn a bit more favorable once the voice and the character settle down in the viewers' minds. The other newcomer, Patty's Takahira Narumi, is also having a great debut.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-04-29, 21:03   Link #67
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ok finally gonna post on epi 3. Yes I love Death the Kid Miyano Mamoru does a fab job with his voice. I like that it sounds more Tamaki-like since Ive gotten use to his soft/sexier voice with Raito and Zero.
I loved how Patty and Liz switched bwtn being the weapon and the shooter when Kid was...not there

I like shounen but Im very particular about it, Im liking this alot.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-04-29, 23:07   Link #68
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
I loved how Patty and Liz switched bwtn being the weapon and the shooter when Kid was...not there
This one was one of my favorite parts of the episode too.

Though, I wont deny that I enjoyed the first two episodes a lot more than this one. >_< !
Old 2008-04-30, 00:24   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The actual fighting (the Thompson sisters) was pretty good.... I felt like the editing/directing was a bit fractured as the taller sister went from cool to spooked and back... and it was a little muddled as to why Soul and Black were scrambling around. It wasn't made clear that they didn't know Death or that Death wasn't registered in the school until later.

The mystery here, of course, is why the sisters don't fricassee Death Jr. -- obviously they think his debilitating psychosis can be managed.

Nice voice acting, ---- overall, the 3 episode intro worked pretty well I think. And from the screencaps I've seen of ep 4, looks like some fireworks ahead.

I think I give a slight edge to Maka and Soul for the team I like best but all three teams show a lot of potential for wacked up fun so the entertainment load will hopefully be distributed so that none of them end up "overexposed".
Old 2008-04-30, 00:59   Link #70
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think I give a slight edge to Maka and Soul for the team I like best but all three teams show a lot of potential for wacked up fun so the entertainment load will hopefully be distributed so that none of them end up "overexposed".
Amen to this.

I certainly dont want this to become another show, where all the supporting cast is mostly a stepping stone for the main character to shine. >_<

Hope everyone gets a fair chance.
Old 2008-04-30, 09:33   Link #71
Dove

Quote:
eh, seemed like this may be a worthwhile series at first, but I am pretty sure now its just going to be some shonen crap with
And nothing of value was lost.

Quote:
The actual fighting (the Thompson sisters) was pretty good.... I felt like the editing/directing was a bit fractured as the taller sister went from cool to spooked and back...
She's afraid of ghost and only fought because she had no choice. She calmed down when the mummies were dead because they were gone, but even then she was still terrified of the crypt. You should also keep in mind that she felt safer when her younger sister was around because the shorter one could transform into a weapon. Granted so could they both, but in weapon form they are useless without a partner. Patty and Death provided Liz(The taller one) with said partner.

Quote:
and it was a little muddled as to why Soul and Black were scrambling around. It wasn't made clear that they didn't know Death or that Death wasn't registered in the school until later.
Black Star mentioned the person who took the dangerous mission(The mummy one) wanted to outshine him. If you had watched the previous episode and know anything about BS then it is not hard to figure out why he and Soul ran off. Soul is his close freind, so it should come to no surprise that Soul ran off too.

Last edited by Dove; 2008-04-30 at 10:25.
Old 2008-04-30, 13:25   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove View Post
She's afraid of ghost and only fought because she had no choice. She calmed down when the mummies were dead because they were gone, but even then she was still terrified of the crypt. You should also keep in mind that she felt safer when her younger sister was around because the shorter one could transform into a weapon. Granted so could they both, but in weapon form they are useless without a partner. Patty and Death provided Liz(The taller one) with said partner.

Black Star mentioned the person who took the dangerous mission(The mummy one) wanted to outshine him. If you had watched the previous episode and know anything about BS then it is not hard to figure out why he and Soul ran off. Soul is his close freind, so it should come to no surprise that Soul ran off too.
You completely missed my point and only summarized what I already know and referenced myself in this thread. Actually you're stating the totally obvious so your post comes off a bit insulting. However, I see you're new here so I'll restrain myself

My comment was directed at the *editing* of the sequences. In my opinion, the edit cuts within scenes were not smoothly done and made them feel more like a rough draft than a finished product. Transitioning is a tricky process in editing - its quite easy lose the feel of continuity if roughly done.

So far its been my only complaint about the series. I'm even part of the minority that initially liked Maka's voice

It would be interesting to see if the production staff rotates editing or directing per episode like many series do.
Old 2008-04-30, 13:52   Link #73
Dove

Quote:
My comment was directed at the *editing* of the sequences. In my opinion, the edit cuts within scenes were not smoothly done and made them feel more like a rough draft than a finished product. Transitioning is a tricky process in editing - its quite easy lose the feel of continuity if roughly done.
Your wording was both sloppy and vauge, so you will forgive me if I misunderstood you. But by all means please feel free to let loose.

Last edited by Dove; 2008-04-30 at 14:09.
Old 2008-04-30, 13:54   Link #74
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
You just called Vexx-ji sloppy. O.o

Back to the episode, well, lulz. That's all I have to say.

Old 2008-04-30, 13:55   Link #75
Dove

Yes. I did.
Old 2008-04-30, 14:37   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know how much more precise or clear one can be than "I felt like the editing/directing was a bit fractured" so I'll let the audience of this thread decide.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-30 at 17:06.
Old 2008-04-30, 14:40   Link #77
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
I dunno. I thought it was pretty clear, even if I disagree with the statement itself.

Old 2008-04-30, 14:44   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There is plenty of room for differing opinion on the editing In fact, my complaint is exceptionally mild and only came up because the first two episodes didn't seem to exhibit such symptoms. The episode was still quite good on its own -- though I'll repeat I'm watching it while not having read the manga so I'm viewing the series as a stand-alone piece of storytelling.
Old 2008-04-30, 14:49   Link #79
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
You just called Vexx-ji sloppy. O.o
He must be new here.

Okay, now I think I'll just retreat to Slashdot, kthxbye.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-04-30, 16:59   Link #80
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I don't know how much more precise or clear one can be than "I felt like the editing/directing was a bit fractured" so I'll let the audience of this thread decide.
I think you were pretty clear on your point. I also wondered why Black Star and Soul were running around the school, and it wasn't until the end that the whole scene finally made sense.