Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2022-06-18, 11:15   Link #1
Blaat

Mononoke film

Mononoke Anime Gets New Film in 2023, Stage Play

Quote:
A livestream celebrating the 15th anniversary of the Mononoke anime revealed on Saturday that the anime is getting a film in 2023. The announcement stated the film will be a completely new work.

Kenji Nakamura will return to direct the film, with production at Twin Engine. Takahiro Sakurai will return to voice the Medicine Seller.

The above video also previews other projects to commemorate the 15th anniversary, including a crowdfunding campaign and a stage play. The crowdfunding campaign will launch on June 24. Another project will feature 12 artists each creating a visual for the franchise. The first visual (below) is from Yaeko Ninagawa, who drew the manga adaptation of the anime.

The Mononoke anime premiered in 2007 and aired for 12 episodes. The series is a spinoff of the Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales anime. Specifically, it follows the medicine seller from the "Bakeneko" (Goblin Cat) arc. The Mononoke anime has five arcs, the last of which is titled "Bakeneko."

Kenji Nakamura directed the television anime at Toei Animation, and Takashi Hashimoto designed the characters and served as chief animation director. Yasuharu Takanashi composed the music.

The anime is streaming on Crunchyroll and other streaming services. New Video Group released the series on DVD in North America in 2014.

Sources: Mononoke anime's 15th anniversary livestream, Comic Natalie via Hachima Kikō
Old 2022-06-18, 11:41   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I would have liked a new series, but a movie is cool too.
Old 2022-06-18, 14:39   Link #3
Dop
Mmmm....

Wow. Now here's a thing I would never have expected, I'm both gobsmacked and excited for this, provided they keep the same artistic style (and I expect they will) this should be fantastic.

Should really dig out the DVD for a rewatch, as I loved that show.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-18, 17:14   Link #4
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

YES HELLO! I am here for new Mononoke content!!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-18, 17:50   Link #5
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Certainly up for this.
Old 2023-02-28, 02:06   Link #6
saya_leviathan

The movie is postponed until they find a new VA for the Medicine Seller. It's very obvious why they had to do it.

https://twitter.com/anime_mononoke/s...63073650876417
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-28, 07:31   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I hate what Sakurai's done but I'm still bummed he lost this role.
Old 2023-02-28, 08:03   Link #8
Kakkou
Tch.

They were brutally honest about why in this case so there's not much room for argument. It would have been immensely ironic to leave him in this role considering what the movie is setting out to do.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-28, 18:56   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
They were brutally honest about why in this case so there's not much room for argument. It would have been immensely ironic to leave him in this role considering what the movie is setting out to do.
I actually haven't heard their reason. Is it a story about manipulating women and cheating on them?
Old 2023-03-01, 01:26   Link #10
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I actually haven't heard their reason. Is it a story about manipulating women and cheating on them?
It's in the twitter link above in English, but to quote, "the animated film sets in Ooku (historically the women's quarters in Edo Castle) and tries to depict the suffering and remedy of women. Judging from the standpoint of the story, we decided to change the cast of the Medicine Seller"

While they don't go into what this entails I'd say it enough for the stink of Sakurai's scandal to surface on this particular theme. This is also an incredibly damning PR statement that you hardly ever see from JP outlets. Normally they would rather not allude to the reason for the recast and opt for some nothing burger corporate spiel and move on but here they as good as said Sakurai isn't fit to be associated with the character and story anymore.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-01, 07:48   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

ANN only quoted the second sentence, but the full quote really doesn't leave room for doubt. They probably made the right decision considering that.
Old 2023-08-03, 22:27   Link #12
saya_leviathan

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Release is on summer of next year.

Hiroshi Kamiya will be the new voice for the Medicine Seller.
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-04, 07:02   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So it's the opposite of what happened with Rohan, who was first voiced by Kamiya in the games and then replaced with Sakurai in the anime. Reasons were completely different obviously, but I find it amusing.
Old 2023-08-04, 09:04   Link #14
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Would never have figured this would be the title to get so complicated with its latest material.