AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-09-17, 18:40   Link #5121
omega253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Its part of the authors changes.

IB isn't quite the IB we know - its weaker.

And also doesn't internally make sense anymore.

Basically, the author has made the Railgun girls - minus Misaka - more competent, Index more hands on and able to use magic, made all the villains/antagonists so far less competent, and has left Misaka and especially Touma less capable.

And he or she has a penchant for changing things for the sake of changing things, with mixed results.
The Imagine Breaker still doesn't make much sense.......

And I can see what you mean by mixed results.

There was a serious implication that In Memoriam!Kanzaki is ruthless (seriously, a completion geis that kills?) and even colder than she was in canon.... Well, before Touma broke her illusions.

I wonder what the author is going to do with Kanzaki's personality......
Old 2013-09-17, 18:53   Link #5122
Ashaman

Quote:
The Imagine Breaker still doesn't make much sense.......
Let me clarify what I meant there.

In Index, we don't know how IB works, exactly. We know several things about it, but it parameters are still somewhat mysterious. Because of that, it exist in a state of flux.

What In Memoriam has done is provide exact parameters from the science side, but internally speaking they don't make sense.
Old 2013-09-17, 18:55   Link #5123
omega253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Let me clarify what I meant there.

In Index, we don't know how IB works, exactly. We know several things about it, but it parameters are still somewhat mysterious. Because of that, it exist in a state of flux.

What In Memoriam has done is provide exact parameters from the science side, but internally speaking they don't make sense.
Ah, okay then. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 2013-09-17, 23:03   Link #5124
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega253 View Post
A while back, I had this crack fic idea where Aiwass took the form of a human female to meet Kamijou. Their interactions would just be Boke and Tsukkomi because Aiwass has some messed up understanding involving humans and their customs.
Please do write.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 23:27   Link #5125
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Alright, final draft of the Delta-Force scene....need some opinions on it so feel free to provide me with them.

Spoiler for The Delta-Force: Maids, Bunny-Girls, or Nurses:

Mugino is Love.

Mugino is Life.

Shizuri's my Dove.

Shizuri's my Wife.
SmokinFerret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 23:37   Link #5126
omega253

That was an excellent rendition of what the Delta Trio's interactions is like.

But you might want to split up the part that was talking about the individual boys into different paragraphs. It was just one big wall of text on that part.
Old 2013-09-17, 23:49   Link #5127
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

True, very true.

I'll see what I can do, but I can't promise anything.

Mugino is Love.

Mugino is Life.

Shizuri's my Dove.

Shizuri's my Wife.
Old 2013-09-17, 23:58   Link #5128
omega253

Do your best~.

On that note, I want to make a Crazy!Touma snip again. Only this time, he's acting like the Doctor (Doctor Who) or some other eccentric OP character.
Old 2013-09-18, 00:01   Link #5129
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Never watched Doctor Who, so I can't critic that portion.

Mugino is Love.

Mugino is Life.

Shizuri's my Dove.

Shizuri's my Wife.
Old 2013-09-18, 02:00   Link #5130
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFerret88 View Post
Never watched Doctor Who, so I can't critic that portion.
I highly recommend it. It's an interesting show involving aliens (and other things) trying to take over the Earth and traveling through time and space in a machine disguised as a 1950/1960s British police telephone booth.
Welsh_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 02:40   Link #5131
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

....alians, among other things, plots to take over the earth and time travel via phonebooth....

Okay, I'm game.

Mugino is Love.

Mugino is Life.

Shizuri's my Dove.

Shizuri's my Wife.
Old 2013-09-18, 02:41   Link #5132
omega253

Game for Crazy!Touma or watching Doctor Who?
Old 2013-09-18, 02:48   Link #5133
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Doctor Who.

Also, on an unrelated note, I've decided that the Nazi magic cable thing is worth investing my time in and am now in the process of developing their particular types of magic; most of which will most likely be from German legends, bits of mythology, and The Spear of Longinus. The latter of which serving a key purpose since it is a magic-side story arc. and a certain Saint will be partaking in that particular event as well.

Now, I ask, what kind of germane legends and myths can I use....

suggestions are welcome.

Mugino is Love.

Mugino is Life.

Shizuri's my Dove.

Shizuri's my Wife.
Old 2013-09-18, 07:21   Link #5134
furaiz
Reason is Omniscient
*Author

Quote:
Doctor Who.

Also, on an unrelated note, I've decided that the Nazi magic cable thing is worth investing my time in and am now in the process of developing their particular types of magic; most of which will most likely be from German legends, bits of mythology, and The Spear of Longinus. The latter of which serving a key purpose since it is a magic-side story arc. and a certain Saint will be partaking in that particular event as well.

suggestions are welcome.
You could look up 'Faust's Book of Hell's Charms' and see if that gives you a good idea.

And the Delta Force snippet is great.
furaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 08:17   Link #5135
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

A hypnotist based on the Rattenfanger von Hamlin, a magician who can convert organic materials into poison based on Snow White, a magician who creates special charms and/or items with abnormal attributes based on Jack and the Beanstalk...those are just general ideas off of the top of my head. I'd have to really look into a specific fairy tale to make up a thorough basis for a spell. Basically, I suggest reading through Grimm's fairy tales; and I mean the originals. Not the modern children's adaptations.

silverexorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 08:45   Link #5136
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Doctor Who.

suggestions are welcome.
You better have them use blood magic and make it so there's a secret manuscript of Mein Kampf full of esoteric stuff laying around somewhere. But yeah, get ready, because your research is going to hurt your brain. Nazism is hard as an ideological movement to grasp because of how foreign it is to our modern way of thinking.

Some basics:

Myth as an ideal model: Nazis pinned for the old days of glory seen in myths, where everything was still pure before racial and cultural corruption began. Wagnerism in the arts was used by nazis quite effectively for that goal. And, unfortunately, a certain facet of Nietzsche from his aesthetico-political theory, from when he was still friends with Wagner and a fellow disciple of Schopenhauer. For the earliest Nietzsche, Wagner and his music along with Bayreuth was the perfect tool to revive European society, which would be done with great tragedies, myths and music. But then, Nietzsche saw Wagner became a decadent antisemitic christian bourgeois who pandered to the elites, and he quit in disgust (Later, when poor Nietzsche went insane, his sister Elizabeth ended up in charge of his complete works. She later befriended Italy's Duce, who then later introduced her, while they watched one of Wagner's piece being played in Bayreuth, to the future Fuhrer himself, who quickly befriended her... Nietzsche ended up nazified from there on out.)

Race: A big part of Nazism obviously. Pretty much the entire nazi theory is a derivative of scientific racism, especially what is expressed by Gobineau in his infamous book. Thing is, Nazism "misread" Gobineau--he doesn't think you can restore the "golden age" of the "pure Aryan race". He's a pessimist, and says the "Eden" of racial purity is long gone. Hitler and nazis, however, are optimists and think this purity can be attained once again. We all know what it led to...

Individuality: Nazism is opposed to individuality and individual thought in theory. The German people need to form a community with a strict collective identity. And that identity is established by a link to the soil (Lebensraum), to blood and race, and to the power of one Fuhrer to lead that community to it's collective destiny. The entire Nazi project revolves around achieving that community. You could even say that, in Raildex terms, nazis were trying to build a Temple with the entirety of Germany.

Religion: Positive Christianity on wiki does a good job of explaining the basics even if its a bit more chaotic than that in reality. Since we're on the subject, let me say this: Hitler was not an atheist. Basically he was raised a Catholic and evolved to a weird Christian Deist view with contempt for the simple-minded Christians who didn't "get it." He sees the truth of Christianity being summed up in Jesus (who, gasp!, is actually an Aryan!) throwing the money changers (da joos) out of the temple. Basically, Christ wanted to eradicate the "Jewish poison".

Hope that helps you a bit with whatever you'll be doing.

SO FERRET, NOW YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE YOUR BUDDY KYON TO DISCUSS HOW NAZIS WERE TOTALLY RAD PEOPLE

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 09:17   Link #5137
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

Quote:
Doctor Who.

suggestions are welcome.
In any case, I'm interested to see what you come up with. I already made a faction of the Roman Catholic Church using the shattered husk of the Nazis, so it might be helpful to see what differences you make from a magic cabal point of view.

silverexorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 09:22   Link #5138
furaiz
Reason is Omniscient
*Author

That hypnotist based on Rattenfanger von Hamlin... Is that what I might know as the Pied Piper of Hamelin? Either way, putting your enemies to sleep or under your control is a pretty nice idea.
furaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 14:38   Link #5139
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Doctor Who.

suggestions are welcome.
Wait, a Nazi magic cable?

Lol.

Hehehe...you made me bring out one of my old projects!

Spoiler for Spell on the Legend of the Magic Bullets:

You could also create a spiritual item on the legendary Seven-League Boots, allowing people to travel great distances in a few steps, and can be used to appear and disappear from numerous situations and scenes without leaving a trace.

Most of Old German mythology overlaps with Norse anyway (like Odin being called Wotan, name being the originator of the word ''Wednesday'', Wotan's Day), so you might not look too far after all.

You're welcome
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!

Last edited by allfictions; 2013-09-18 at 21:41.
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 16:13   Link #5140
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Next chapter of World's End: Scheduled for Sunday. Don't whip my ass if I can't meet the deadline. So much crack, so little time to write it all down with college. Worst case scenario, it's out mid-week. But since I'll pouring my weekends into the fic, I should be good.

Edit: Legit HDD crash scare here. Occurred exactly as I was thinking, "Boy, I sure can't wait to print that homework then get a part of World's End written down!" God, these kinds of coincidences freak me the fuck out. Thankfully it was a stupid problem with cables.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.

Last edited by Mr.Kyon; 2013-09-18 at 19:57.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction