Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-06-15, 11:15   Link #2141
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's a shame this episode came out so late (6 months!), it lessened its emotional impact for me.
I'm glad this didn't happen for me. I highly enjoyed episode 20.5, and found it just as powerful as the series content.
Old 2011-06-15, 12:51   Link #2142
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

^ me neither, Id been anticipating this since May when the DVDs came out so when it was finally out and subbed I could barely contain my excitement. Looking forward to 21.5 as well.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 13:12   Link #2143
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^ And I had totally forgotten about it

The real reason I didn't enjoy this episode all that much though, is that the anime tries way too hard to antagonize the humans (the manga is much more balanced, and the humans' actions/motivations in it are understandable). They tried to make the Shiki look like the victims in this episode, which feels horribly forced. Sorry, people who kill kids get no sympathy from me.

I highly recommend you to read the manga if you haven't done so already. I find it much better than the anime. Not that the anime was bad (far from it- although I certainly couldn't consider it the best anime of 2010), but it suffered from serious pacing issue. That reminds me, it's been a while since a chapter was released...
Old 2011-06-15, 14:45   Link #2144
maplehurry

Quote:
The real reason I didn't enjoy this episode all that much though, is that the anime tries way too hard to antagonize the humans (the manga is much more balanced, and the humans' actions/motivations in it are understandable). They tried to make the Shiki look like the victims in this episode, which feels horribly forced.
Well, for me, I also feel it forced that only so few villagers-turned-shikis feel like disobeying Sunako & Co, the mastermind of your murderers. There should be more who are like Yuki.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 14:48   Link #2145
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I highly recommend you to read the manga if you haven't done so already. I find it much better than the anime. Not that the anime was bad (far from it- although I certainly couldn't consider it the best anime of 2010), but it suffered from serious pacing issue. That reminds me, it's been a while since a chapter was released...
I found that the pacing for the anime fit the mood rather well.

& i shall start reading the manga soon enough.
Old 2011-06-15, 14:51   Link #2146
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
The real reason I didn't enjoy this episode all that much though, is that the anime tries way too hard to antagonize the humans (the manga is much more balanced, and the humans' actions/motivations in it are understandable). They tried to make the Shiki look like the victims in this episode, which feels horribly forced. Sorry, people who kill kids get no sympathy from me.
That's actually one of the things I felt whilst watching the anime, but suprisingly I didn't get that so much in Episode 20.5. Probably because we finally got to see one human actually not being so pointlessly cruel and showing the Shiki some mercy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Spoiler for 20.5:
That scene definitely had a lot of impact for me. It's like he realised he and his wife are the only sane people left.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 15:19   Link #2147
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Well, for me, I also feel it forced that only so few villagers-turned-shikis feel like disobeying Sunako & Co, the mastermind of your murderers. There should be more who are like Yuki.
It pretty much seemed like they were scared into obeying from the moment they rose unlike natsuno who knew pretty much what had happened to him so to me its not odd that most of the shiki followed orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That scene definitely had a lot of impact for me. It's like he realised he and his wife are the only sane people left.
I agree everyone else in the village seemed more into mutilating than getting the it over with
Old 2011-06-15, 15:50   Link #2148
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Man, I'm just grumbling watching this episode...
Old 2011-06-15, 22:43   Link #2149
shadowii

Quote:
^ And I had totally forgotten about it

thats pretty much my feelings on it too Kanon (the chapter where matsu comes being the prime example)
but what can you do were at the hight of vampire popularity right now stuff like that happens, but yes for me the manga is the best version

Spoiler for they switched what the shiki did to humans doing it:

BUT they kept my favorite pipeline moment
Spoiler for favorite moment and sadofumi's motivation:

Last edited by shadowii; 2011-06-15 at 23:04.
shadowii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 23:21   Link #2150
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The quality of mercy:

It is kind of a shame this had to come six months later, because I think it's almost impossible not to lose a little of the impact after such a long layoff. And this was an incredibly powerful episode.

Spoiler for 20.5:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 05:53   Link #2151
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Finally got a chance to see this, and that really was harrowing. I'm glad for Hasegawa, because I don't like many of the humans in both anime and manga (though especially in the anime).

I do hope they translated something at 6:20 literally though

"In order to kill demons, you have to become one yourself."

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowii View Post
Spoiler for they switched what the shiki did to humans doing it:
Spoiler for response:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-06-20 at 07:32.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 17:08   Link #2152
shadowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Finally got a chance to see this, and that really was harrowing. I'm glad for Hasegawa, because I don't like many of the humans in both anime and manga (though especially in the anime).

I do hope they translated something at 6:20 literally though

"In order to kill demons, you have to become one yourself."

Spoiler for response:
check the part where tohru meets sunako (tohru muses over disloyalty punishments and remembers how he had to dispose of a charred body i believe he says this in the anime as well)
shadowii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 00:52   Link #2153
neutrino

Quote:
check the part where tohru meets sunako (tohru muses over disloyalty punishments and remembers how he had to dispose of a charred body i believe he says this in the anime as well)
Not just one body IIRC. It was the standard sentence for shiki who tried to run away when they were summoned to the castle. The shiki who were got Yuzuki's punishment also died sometimes. Lest you think punishing Yuzuki for attacking children showed morality on Sunako's part, that was only to keep the parents from becoming aggressive. Tatsumi had no problem with killing one they'd kidnapped from the city.

Would the humans get more sympathy if Kaori were a cute goth-loli?
neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 03:14   Link #2154
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Ah, you're right. I completely forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
Lest you think punishing Yuzuki for attacking children showed morality on Sunako's part, that was only to keep the parents from becoming aggressive. Tatsumi had no problem with killing one they'd kidnapped from the city.
I do remember that too. And I definitely don't like what the Kirishikis do.

But perhaps it's time for some viewers (the ones who were always asking why the shiki didn't resist Tatsumi et al) to reconsider their views about some of the normal shiki once again?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 07:44   Link #2155
PzIVf3

Spoiler for Shike 21.5:
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 11:38   Link #2156
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

My god, that episode was totally disturbing and depressing. Classic Shiki at it's best.
Old 2011-07-25, 17:47   Link #2157
Forsaken_Infinity

It was a very good episode alright. I absolutely loved how much they were able to bring the otherwise unseen characters to life in just two episodes. And fill in a lot of detail on what was going on at the same time. Everything fits together so nicely. Marvelously well played.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 01:08   Link #2158
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I love how the Maeda and Yano families are contrasted through the relationships between mothers and daughters.
Spoiler for Plot:

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 03:12   Link #2159
Blaat

I thought we would get an episode focused on the little brother? I mean we haven't seen how he survived after entering the shiki sleeping place. Or am I misremembering things, it has, after all, been a year (?!) since the series started.
Old 2011-07-26, 07:11   Link #2160
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

No complaints from me this time. 21.5 was a perfect adaptation of Motoko's depressing and disturbing story. I'm really glad it made it into the anime. I loved all the throwbacks to previous episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Spoiler for Shike 21.5:
Only Seishin and Sunako survived. All the other shiki have been killed.

By the way, the manga is entirely scanlated now, so it's time to read it if you haven't done so already. The last chapter features a short epilogue.

Spoiler for Manga - A little treat for Seishin fans (Bun :p ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I thought we would get an episode focused on the little brother? I mean we haven't seen how he survived after entering the shiki sleeping place. Or am I misremembering things, it has, after all, been a year (?!) since the series started.
It wasn't shown it was heavily implied he was rescued by Natsuno. I think Natsuno even confirmed it during his dialogue with Tatsumi, but I'm not sure.

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire