AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-08-13, 14:11   Link #621
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
I was enjoying _Overlord_, emphasis on "was". Chapter one we were introduced, quite deliberately, to a whole host of interesting characters in form of the Tomb guardians. Lord Momonga sets out to be a badass and his first time he gets the chance he goes BAD-ass on a bunch of puny humans that think they're the Lords of Creation. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with all of the guardians at his back, cutting a swathe of darkness and despair across the land (I played a lot of Dungeon Keeper in my youth...).

And now we're two episodes into a newbie party MMO grind, out "collecting herbs" for crying out loud with a bunch of nerfy losers. I presume Momonga is doing this because he misses the good old grinding days -- it's not like he needs to level up after all. The story's stopped in its tracks for THIS?

Overlord was the "pleasant surprise" series for me this season. It's rapidly losing its charm.
Reliving the MMO day is a bonus, the primary purpose is to learn about the world and the actual level of the adventurer.
He knows absolutely nothing about this world, except they do have magic, and a adventurer guild, for all he knows, the soldier he met were just low level, and the adventurer are all end game level people.

He also wants to spread his name and the name of the guild in the world.
Old 2015-08-13, 14:14   Link #622
Hmm....

I have to say I do share the same feeling as nojay. Of all things an almighty overlord like him could do, he become an adventurer ? That is so boring, so mainstream. It has been done to death in all generic fantasy anime. Working shift at McDonald is at least more creative.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 14:16   Link #623
RDNexus

Yeah, the faces the adventurers made when Ains went about them becoming stronger with time...

Also, you folks sure do seem to be quite picky about things, huh?
I think the story is going good enough. And you don't even know what else may be in store...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 14:27   Link #624
Hmm....

Sorry, that is how I am. Hope it doesn't bother you too much

While I may think it's a bit disappointing that this arc starting on a generic note. I don't mind it that much. I still enjoy the show enough. I do hope there is more in store for them that isn't that....generic though.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 14:41   Link #625
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Of all things an almighty overlord like him could do, he become an adventurer ? That is so boring, so mainstream. It has been done to death in all generic fantasy anime. Working shift at McDonald is at least more creative.
Well, he can't be a wise & respectable scholar either. That job has been taken by a demon-lord from another novel .
Old 2015-08-13, 15:07   Link #626
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The funniest moment for me wasn't the running joke with Albedo for me.

It was the whole "oh no, we must have upset him.. I bet he lost all his friends in a tragic battle" *cue dramatic music as Momon sits in solitude*

... when we know for a fact it's actually just "hey buddy we had fun but you know how it goes, RL and shit. Don't mind me if I retire from this MMO. Well, see ya maybe in another MMO!"

Not really as big a deal as Momonga makes it to be.

Of course, this entire novel is but a series of "other people overthinking Ainz's actions" one after another.
That was my first reaction too, but then I remembered. Pathetic as it may be to someone well adjusted and with an actual social life, that tenuous connection through gaming is probably as close to friendship as he's ever had, and it's gone forever. And unless he meets other trapped players, he doesn't even have a shot at finding someone who'll understand the most basic things about him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 16:37   Link #627
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangowr View Post
Reliving the MMO day is a bonus, the primary purpose is to learn about the world and the actual level of the adventurer.
He knows absolutely nothing about this world, except they do have magic, and a adventurer guild, for all he knows, the soldier he met were just low level, and the adventurer are all end game level people.

Also, he is afraid that there are other players who have world class items. Non human race was constantly getting PK from human+elf/humanoid race.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 16:47   Link #628
BakaOnna

I have to say, while this is a faithful adaptation, I feel it's lacking something. I couldn't figure out what it was until people started addressing the issue of the pacing and how "boring" the current arc is.

I didn't really notice the slow pacing when reading these parts in the light novel due to: 1) I can read faster than what's animated once a week so there's a sort of instant gratification by reading the LNs that you don't get in the anime and, more importantly, 2) lack of Ainz's monologues. I'm glad that Madhouse included any at all but Ainz as a character feels quite bare boned (pun not intended ) without them. The anime really misses a lot of the dichotomy between his human/lich thinking and acting as well as his extreme paranoia, which I feel the anime has barely shown. One of the reasons why I was drawn so into the LNs were because of the monologues and, of course, the world building.

Basically, this adaptation feels like a checklist of showing all the important events and including the necessary exposition dialogue without having a good flow or the nuances that come with it, making it feel very stilted.
BakaOnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 17:23   Link #629
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangowr View Post
Momonga could, at his present level of power and assisted by his ridiculously Munchkined NPC supporters, carve the words "Ains Ooal Gown" on every mountain range and across every plain for thousands of leagues in any particular direction.

...Of course he'd have to write it in Japanese since he doesn't know the local script.
Old 2015-08-13, 17:32   Link #630
RDNexus

And haven't you thought that he may be acting as covertly as possible to attain information and make sure there aren't any kinds of threats even to him and his supporters?

As far as I remember, he mentioned such things in the monologues...
Old 2015-08-13, 17:52   Link #631
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
And haven't you thought that he may be acting as covertly as possible to attain information and make sure there aren't any kinds of threats even to him and his supporters?
Momonga told everyone at the village he was "Ains Ooal Gown" and he changed his name to match at the Tomb when he got back. He's been putting the guild name out there front and centre, so why not do some more terraforming once the Trap Twins have finished burying the Tomb and really shout it loud enough to be discernible from orbit?

As for gathering information he could pick up a lot more knowledge about the world in the town, from the Adventurers Guild, the local merchants, traders, soldiers or peacekeeper types etc. Heck he could even learn to read there and then buy some books and an atlas or two.

Instead he's gone off with a random band of wandering adventurers to pick herbs and slaughter some of the local natives, and it's taken him two episodes to do get this far. Given the hints about the Great Beast of the Forest it sounds like a boss fight coming up and that will take up most of the next episode at a guess. This is not good pacing in a 13-episode series and the sluggish progression is dimming my original attraction to the show.
Old 2015-08-13, 18:08   Link #632
RDNexus

And you're forgetting that... THEY NEED MONEY!!!
He mentioned the money the guild had (from Yggdrasil) was different from that new world's currency and that he wanted to get money in a low-profile way, hence going adventurer.

I think you're letting certain elements out of consideration on purpose to feed your wishful thinking since the story presented enough motives for him having decided to do like that.

LNs have such a pacing, if you want something faster go watch an adaption of a manga series, they're usually faster.
Each media has it's way of portraying a story, Novels and LNs have (sometimes) to go at this pace so as to give space for world-building and such, which is a plus in certain cases. Of course, there are those cases in which plot development seems to be the least of the author's priorities...
Old 2015-08-13, 18:26   Link #633
Blueknight78

Quote:
He mentioned the money the guild had (from Yggdrasil) was different from that new world's currency and that he wanted to get money in a low-profile way, hence going adventurer.

I think you're letting certain elements out of consideration on purpose to feed your wishful thinking since the story presented enough motives for him having decided to do like that.

LNs have such a pacing, if you want something faster go watch an adaption of a manga series, they're usually faster.
Each media has it's way of portraying a story, Novels and LNs have (sometimes) to go at this pace so as to give space for world-building and such, which is a plus in certain cases. Of course, there are those cases in which plot development seems to be the least of the author's priorities...
in some light novels specially harem that is the plot
Spoiler:
Old 2015-08-13, 18:28   Link #634
RDNexus

Unfortunately... Right...?
But it doesn't seem to be the case with this one
Old 2015-08-13, 18:53   Link #635
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Easily fixed. Take on the aspect of Ainz, teleport back to the village he saved and ask them for some folding scratch. Leave them a few bars of pure gold or some gems in exchange, the sort of drop loot Nazarick's treasure rooms are probably full of, but having saved them from the soldiers and then the Holy Bad Guys the villagers would probably be happy to reward him with local currency.

Towns in Fantasyland usually have currency exchanges anyway, willing to take precious metals or gems and swap them for local forms of money -- at a slight discount, of course but that's not really a factor if he just needs cash. Or there will be shops where he could sell loot from Nazarick. There are bound to be a shedload of dead adventurer's drops, armour and weapons, potions, magical spellbooks etc. he could sell.

Instead he's gone off on a jolly picnic in the woods. For two fricking episodes. And learned nothing. And earned nothing. For two fricking episodes.
Old 2015-08-13, 19:00   Link #636
RDNexus

OK, it seems there's no reasoning with you. I'll stop at this point...
If you don't wanna keep watching this one, there are others out there.
Now, whining over such a trivial thing (to me) is pure waste of time...
Old 2015-08-13, 20:39   Link #637
kagato3

Quote:
Easily fixed. Take on the aspect of Ainz, teleport back to the village he saved and ask them for some folding scratch. Leave them a few bars of pure gold or some gems in exchange, the sort of drop loot Nazarick's treasure rooms are probably full of, but having saved them from the soldiers and then the Holy Bad Guys the villagers would probably be happy to reward him with local currency.

Towns in Fantasyland usually have currency exchanges anyway, willing to take precious metals or gems and swap them for local forms of money -- at a slight discount, of course but that's not really a factor if he just needs cash. Or there will be shops where he could sell loot from Nazarick. There are bound to be a shedload of dead adventurer's drops, armour and weapons, potions, magical spellbooks etc. he could sell.

Instead he's gone off on a jolly picnic in the woods. For two fricking episodes. And learned nothing. And earned nothing. For two fricking episodes.
The local village already gave him all they could because he saved their lives it amounted to the cost of a room at the inn for a few days. This isn't an mmo you can't just sell an item to a hick villager for a kings ransom. There is a real economy out there and that first off means he would need to out who he could even sell things to and what they are worth as dropping what very well could be high end goods into it is bound to attract the wrong type of intrest, see the whole thing with the potion. With out having more information on the world he is being careful not to attract the wrong type of attention to himself
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 22:18   Link #638
chaos_animagic

ok...

moving onto the Special 2

LOL @ Albedo's expression when she got "ignored" and "rejected" when she was in the middle of fangirling.

Damn it, I want a Chibi Albedo plush right now.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 23:33   Link #639
DemonneoPT

Quote:

Thank god you are not the one responsible for the Overlord plot... now that would be boring and way to rushed! I'm happy with the the current pace in the anime and with the way things are developing. Like i said before little by little we get to know more pieces of that world and it's characters. For me, Overlord is perfect the way it is! The only thing i dislike is that we will only get 13 episodes :/
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 04:08   Link #640
lucaman

Time To Fight Mini-Boss

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?