AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-06-24, 11:15   Link #1
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Good recent anime (within ~2 years)

I've been a long-standing anime fan but I haven't been watching anime for a few years because I had a lot of things to do (although I have watched Ping Pong). Can you recommend serious action or romantic anime within that span of time? My favorite series include Steins;Gate, Honey and Clover, The Tatami Galaxy, Cowboy Bebop, Cross Game, and Psycho-Pass.

Thank you!
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 12:16   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Action & Romance: Unlimited Blade Works 2014/15

Action: Aldnoah.Zero

Romance: Nagi no Asukara

Action: Kill La Kill

I'm admittedly making pretty easy picks here, but for someone returning to anime after a long layoff, and looking for action and romance, they're probably good and safe places to start.
Old 2015-06-24, 13:21   Link #3
Kakurin
大佐

In terms of romance as the main genre, I advise to pick up Nagi no Asukara only if you like teen soap opera type of romance. Because for me as someone who doesn't like that, the teen romance part was what killed the enjoyment of Nagi no Asukara in the second half.

If you can stomach some serious drama, the best romance anime out there the last couple of years is White Album 2.

Another anime with romance and drama, but less serious than WA2 would be Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

A romance anime without much drama and more rom-com would be Golden Time (original work by the author of Toradora, although Golden Time is inferior to Toradora).
Old 2015-06-24, 13:39   Link #4
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm...a few come to mind:

Romance: Soredemo no Sekai, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Isshukan Friends, Ao Haru Ride, the currently airing Ore Monogatari, and especially the wonderful Mikakunin de Shinkoukei.

Action: How about the recently ended version of Hunter x Hunter? Also, Kuroshitsuji season 3, Akatsuki no Yona, Parasyte, Log Horizon seasons 1 & 2? Also, as a bit of a sleeper you might try Nobunagun...it is silly action, but on the whole I was surprised how well it worked.

Note that Kuroshitsuji season 3 and Parasyte can get rather dark, and Nozaki-kun, Ore Monogatari and Mikakunin have strong comedic elements in them together with the romance aspects.
Old 2015-06-24, 22:53   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Welcome back, physics!

I'm with Triple_R when it comes to Kill la Kill. i thought it was a breath of fresh air and probably the most distinctive series since Madoka Magica. Kill la Kill is silly, lewd, exhilarating, and thought-provoking. I didn't much care for Gurren Lagann, the previous collaboration by Imaishi and Nakashima, but I loved Kill la Kill. (I'm also a big fan of 2007's Oh! Edo Rocket, the anime adaptation by Madhouse of a stage play by Nakashima.)

For me, the best recent drama was probably Kiseijuu ("Parasyte") including a terrific performance by Hirano Aya, whose career seems on the mend. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun was a cute school comedy with strong characterizations. The fantasy adventure Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis had a big budget which the staff put to good use. The sleeper hit of the past year is probably Shirobako which follows a young woman working as a production assistant for an anime studio. Hibike! Euphonium has stimulated a lot of discussion lately because of its yuri-teasing, but it has more going for it than that. I'll also toss in Shin Sekai Yori, Sakamichi no Apollon, Tsuritama and Uchouten Kazoku if you missed those as well.

You might want to look at these for some ideas:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=130719
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=124470
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 14:37   Link #6
AndrewCee
Key Fan

Hey buddy,

In terms of action, i recommend anime like "Owari no Seraph"
-The same concept of Attack on Titan where humanity is at a loss and our main protagonist does what it takes to fight against his foes. However, the twist is that instead of titans, it is the vampires who push back humanity behind barriers.

With romance, i really recommend a series like "The world God only Knows". Although the first season starting off in 2010, it's still a very nice find up until today.
-It follows our main character (Katsuragi Keima)as your shut in gamer who is our beloved "GOD OF CONQUEST"(In the 2D world sadly). Keima miraculously receives a challenge from the devil to test his capabilities in capturing lost souls who found refuge in the darkness of the hearts of girls. Accompanying him on his journey, Elsie and Keima must basically make the girl who has a lost soul in their heart escape by making the girl fall for our god.

Action romance, i recommend my personal favorite "Le Fruit De la Grisaia" and its trilogy.
-Another personal favorite, it shows alot of feels of Clannad. Although some give the anime series a bad rap because of how condensed it is compared to the visual novel, going in without any fore knowledge still seems completely fine. The series has the main character yuuji kazami transferring into a school that only contains 5 other students which are women. Each one has their own quirks and problems with yuuji deciphering their back story. Whether they come from a family of ruin or emerge from a tragedy, their personalities reflect their story. The development of characters happen in season 1, and the other 2 (meikyuu and rakuen) contain a crap ton of action.
AndrewCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 15:19   Link #7
kitten320

Romance:
White Album 2
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Ore Monogatari!! (Ongoing)

Action:
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (Starts light but gets darker as it progresses)
Shingeki no Kyojin
Akame no Kill
(Several last episodes are horrid since it has anime original ending but everything else was an epic, memorable ride)
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu
Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night remake
Kill la Kill

Mix:
Akatsuki no Yona
Shinsekai Yori
Zetsuen No Tempest
Old 2015-06-30, 15:35   Link #8
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Hey physics!