AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-02-19, 01:27   Link #541
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Took me a second watch of episode 7 to finally figure out what the words on the body from episode 2 is...

It is...

Spoiler for word-filled body and ep7:

EDIT: I'm 99% sure now.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-02-19 at 17:17.
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 07:47   Link #542
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 6

Believe it or not, I'm naturally optimistic IRL. Part of it, I think, is because I've had things fairly easy in life. Whenever I've wanted something, I'd expect to get it. Sometimes I'd have to work for it, but I've generally expected to get something when I aim for it. I've only rarely been disappointed in life. The point is, I've never truly had it hard in life, which I think is why I'm reasonably optimistic (although not anywhere near as naive as I was just a few years ago). High school was an interesting time. It was a prestigious all-boys school, and I was reasonably well liked, even if I was somewhat nerdy (more book-smart than anything else). Everyone took a certain amount of shit, but I gave as good as I got. By senior year, I was chummy with almost everyone, and the few I couldn't get along with, I just wrote off as dickheads and didn't bother interacting with them. Some kids, however, didn't have that knack for giving back when they got. Some of them got it pretty bad.

Not anywhere near as bad as this, though. I don't think I've ever seen bullying out of sadism, before. Most people I've seen do it for lulz and have their lines in the sand.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make with this is that I'm a natural optimist, but every now and then I see things that make me think, humanity sucks. Sometimes it's in real life events, sometimes it's in fiction. This ep was one of those things. While I was watching this, when the bullies revealed their reason for bullying, I thought to myself, that's a terrible reason, the writers should take a pay cut for that one. Then I thought about it. And the more I thought about it, the more I began to come around to the opinion that, I could actually believe that that sort of reasoning could be possible in some cases. Which made me shake my head and think to myself, "goddamn, humanity sucks sometimes".

Very powerful episode. It didn't take a single backward step with a very tough issue. I loved the symbolism to the puppies and the concept of survival of the fittest. Hell, the episode even drove me to reflect on my own life. That doesn't happen often to me while watching anime.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 08:38   Link #543
Clarste
Human

Ep. 6

The funny part is that the whole apathetic message board thing they added to contribute to the characters' sense of "the world is against me" is actually playing out in real life right here. The people saying that those two were just losers who should've stood up for themselves missed the point entirely. Like 100%. Right over your head.

The point of course is that it's very very easy for you to say, but very very hard for the kind of people who get bullied to do. That is exactly what the main character had been thinking about for the first half of the episode, and then it happens to him. That was the moral.

Anyway, the point about bullying as shown in this episode is that a) you're outnumbered, b) you're weak, c) no one's willing to stick their neck out for you, and d) teachers don't have the time to be your bodyguard. What the heck are you supposed to do? Anything less than lethal force is gonna trigger retaliation. Lethal force would probably ruin your life, socially and psychologically. You're trapped, and because you know you're weak and will never get out of this situation, oblivion starts to look like a preferable alternative. Remember, the only thing that makes suicide seem like a bad idea is hope. Hope that the future will be enjoyable. If you have no hope, then... why not? What have you got to lose?

On the subject of scale, I doubt it's normally that bad, but sometimes it is. Saying "oh, it wasn't like that for me" means nothing, because you are not everyone. Sorry, that's just a fact. What's also a fact is that things like this pop up in the news from time to time. Therefore, they happen. Not to you, and not to anyone you know, but they happen. Worse, even. Much worse. The point being that some people are just sadists, and it's really hard for society to protect everyone.

Alternatively, you can look at this as survival of the fittest. The victims of bullying have weak physical abilities and weak social abilities (they don't have good enough friends to defend them). In this sense, they should die, because they have little to contribute to society. However, that happens to be a horrible, horrible way to look at that will get you funny looks in polite conversation.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 09:11   Link #544
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Alternatively, you can look at this as survival of the fittest. The victims of bullying have weak physical abilities and weak social abilities (they don't have good enough friends to defend them). In this sense, they should die, because they have little to contribute to society. However, that happens to be a horrible, horrible way to look at that will get you funny looks in polite conversation.
It is, in a way. Those kinds of behaviors come from the family--kids brought up in families which implant physical competitive behavior in their children (I'm thinking about the stereotypical US redneck here) have more chances of becoming bullies. I also believe this has a lot to do with the competitive nature of capitalism, but that may be just a far cry.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 17:28   Link #545
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89 View Post
Ep. 6

The funny part is that the whole apathetic message board thing they added to contribute to the characters' sense of "the world is against me" is actually playing out in real life right here. The people saying that those two were just losers who should've stood up for themselves missed the point entirely. Like 100%. Right over your head.

The point of course is that it's very very easy for you to say, but very very hard for the kind of people who get bullied to do. That is exactly what the main character had been thinking about for the first half of the episode, and then it happens to him. That was the moral.

Anyway, the point about bullying as shown in this episode is that a) you're outnumbered, b) you're weak, c) no one's willing to stick their neck out for you, and d) teachers don't have the time to be your bodyguard. What the heck are you supposed to do? Anything less than lethal force is gonna trigger retaliation. Lethal force would probably ruin your life, socially and psychologically. You're trapped, and because you know you're weak and will never get out of this situation, oblivion starts to look like a preferable alternative. Remember, the only thing that makes suicide seem like a bad idea is hope. Hope that the future will be enjoyable. If you have no hope, then... why not? What have you got to lose?

On the subject of scale, I doubt it's normally that bad, but sometimes it is. Saying "oh, it wasn't like that for me" means nothing, because you are not everyone. Sorry, that's just a fact. What's also a fact is that things like this pop up in the news from time to time. Therefore, they happen. Not to you, and not to anyone you know, but they happen. Worse, even. Much worse. The point being that some people are just sadists, and it's really hard for society to protect everyone.

In my country we have saying that goes like this, "There is a long distance from words to actions".

People, unfortunately, when they witness those kinds of atrocities happening to others close to them or far away, they hold to this mentality that they feel relatively safe that the misfortune is not happening to them but to the victim.
Spoiler:

Nothing is certain in life. Everything changes either gradually or of a sudden whether be for better or worse, and although we can plan for many of those changes that are bound to happen, we can neither predict nor respond immediately at the time when those changes are occuring.

People who have an easy-going life or experience a normal share of ups-and-downs with their lives never tend to reflect that what any tragedies and atrocities are happening either to their neighbors or to complete strangers (foreign to them) would ever befall upon them.
That or that their lives can be turned around to a 180° turn at any moment and any place by an external agent that occurs out of the blue and out of their control.

The only thing certain about life, and which the ideal should be not worrying about it, is that you, me, and everybody else around the world one day will all die.

Nobody escapes death; nobody is spared from death.

We have only one chance and one try in life, and that's all.

"Do not mourn the dead. Mourn for the living, because there are many things in life which are much worse than death."
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 19:26   Link #546
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89 View Post
Ep. 6

You nailed it spot on...*claps*

Especially about the part of being alone and outnumber because seriously...I know that defending by yourself is impossible against "gangs" as the numbers just overwhelm you to the point where it breaks down to being just plain stupid to the lowest degree.

It's easy to say that you have to stand up for yourself but in practice if one can do that then he/she wouldn't be bullied in the first place. Whilst some people do have the sharp thinking, witty reply and willingness to annoy people back and to show that they are not to be messed with, other people are just naturally more docile. Curse myself for being in such a catagory but that is how I live. Never thought of ending my life for these scums and never will as I know that at the end of the day I will be better off than them.

Just watch me lawl back in the future

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 20:14   Link #547
Itadakimasu!
tsun tsun lover

Send a message via MSN to Itadakimasu!
Although I might have missed the boat on this show, from what i've seen so far the show started off with a great concept and its worked for me so far. I've read the criticism of the characterization of some of the characters, not all of which I agreed with.

The show does seem to vacillate between an existential appreciation for life and existence and a more nihilistic scenes (such as the "survival of the fittest" leitmotif in episode 6). But the fact that it touches on such themes impresses me.

EDIT:

This is probably entirely not PC, but I've always thought that the way to confront bullies is to show them that you are more depraved/cruel/violent than they are. Unrealistic as it sounds, this is why 'lethal' force is often the only way to deal with them... because its the only language they understand. I'm not saying that the victims were wrong in enduring it, but if it were me i'd take the direct route, because the daily suffering was unavoidable; lashing out would at least make me feel better (until the retaliation).

Haha.... i'm normally quite docile but i have a strong sense of justice, and I enforce it whenever necessary. Ironically the means may not always justify the ends!

Last edited by Itadakimasu!; 2008-02-19 at 20:24.
Itadakimasu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 20:35   Link #548
Rika_Chama

Spoiler for ep 6:
Rika_Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 07:54   Link #549
Blaat

Just seen episode 7, all I can say is woah...
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 09:28   Link #550
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Just caught epi6 and wow what a well written story...
Spoiler for thoughts to epi6:

I know the feeling, I'm a 1st Generation Chinese who went to a quiet northern town primary school on the outskirts of Manchester who didn't have any minority, so i stuck out like a sore thumb.

I found bullying stops when you nip it in the bud, oh and bullies are cowards if you get them one on one.

I guess that's why i find it hard how they portray the situation, it just doesn't seem possible if this happen in the west, but then again i have to put this down to an exaggerated and cultural Japanese trend for dramatic effect.
Old 2008-02-20, 10:25   Link #551
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

It would be folly to place too much emphasise on the "realism" of the bullying, instead of focusing on the message that they are trying to bring across. The bullying is just a medium to convey said message to audience.

To put it succinctly, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Cheers.
Old 2008-02-20, 11:32   Link #552
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Hmmm ok Fumika states that she shot her father when she was alive, but if thats her in the hospital she's not totally dead which leans to Chiaka saying she's not totally dead since she ages and again Im not saying anything we dont already know but gosh darn it, it bothers me Atleast we got the Fumi-chan explained cuz that was also driving me crazy.

Kirameki scares the heck outta me

Edit: Also Fumika says "daughters"
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2008-02-20 at 11:59.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 11:51   Link #553
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

But you saw in the episode how the teacher told to the students not to tell any unneeded things to the media.

The teachers were worried and overly concerned that Kouichi's suicide would be linked as an incident that was caused inside school grounds.

They cared only for their image upon the public and not to have the reputation tarnished.

I have read plenty of informative posts by some of Animesuki's respected Japanese members and all recount that those situations are actually happening in real life Japan.

There, the teachers could care less or give a jack about the students' well being and their life formation. They only care about the image that the school is being portrayed to the media and upon the general public.
Old 2008-02-20, 13:59   Link #554
Sammich
Crazy Quoting Machine

Just watched episode 7...

Spoiler for Ep 7:

Can't wait for the next ep!
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 15:13   Link #555
Blaat

Spoiler for for Fumika's dad:
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 15:24   Link #556
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Huh, episode 7 was a really weird one. The pacing, the characters' attitudes, the contrast between comedic and dramatic situations... even many actions are completely impossible to understand (well, Kirameki for the most part and Fumika near the end). I hope it gets some explanation in the future.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 15:42   Link #557
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

Episode 6 was very powerful. It kinda disturbed me that there wasn't any real closure, but it got it's message across quite clear. It's a real shame when people get picked on like that, I've seen my fair share and have been picked on myself. It's definitely no picnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Spoiler for for Fumika's dad:
Roflmao, you read my mind dude. He's a total freak.
War_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 15:46   Link #558
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Again this is my last discussion post for the sixth episode, and then I'm moving on with episode seven.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-02-20, 15:47   Link #559
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Edit: Also Fumika says "daughters"
That may be something metaphoric seen as how fumika said "daughter" before "daughters", but that is just a blind guess

ROFL...kirameki as MJ is just an insane idea...but noone probably comes close to him in the real world

Ep 8 is taking too long to come -____-

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 16:04   Link #560
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Kirameki scares the heck outta me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
Spoiler for Ep 7:
Kirameki: "otenki ame..."otenki nanoni, otenki nanoni, otenki nanoni... ame"

Yaah~, Kirameki is sure hated. Yet, he has gone up on my favorites chart... (-_-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
Spoiler for Ep 7:
Spoiler for ep7:

And just a simple correction for people watching the "something that can't be said":
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
That may be something metaphoric seen as how fumika said "daughter" before "daughters", but that is just a blind guess

Ep 8 is taking too long to come -____-
One more guess to add to my others:

Spoiler:

Only 3 more days, only 3 more days... only... 3... more... days... *collapses*

First DVD cover:
Spoiler for cover:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-02-20 at 17:02.
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen, supernatural