Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-05-24, 10:27   Link #61
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
I don't think that's what the notices are for. IIRC the pokemon incident was due to one or two scenes in an episode that had loads of flashing lights or something which caused certain children to have the seizures. Not sure that has anything to do with watching in a well lit room at a safe distance. Could be wrong though.
I am quite sure that's what they are for. Anime didn't always have these notices-it started in the late or 2000. Oh ho, it makes a GREAT deal of difference with how you watch it-studies prove that watching anything in the dark on a small screen is quite bad for your eyes and the flashing lights on a smaller screen in a well-light room would certainly reduce the effect.
Old 2006-05-24, 14:00   Link #62
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker
Do watch a show all the way through, even if you don't like the first few episodes. Some of my favorites didn't get good until half way through.
Well, I prefer dropping a series I don't like at once, than watching it for nothing until the end, then getting angry because it was just a waste of time. I'd appreciate very much you telling me the shows you're talking about here, cause I don't have any example in mind.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 22:28   Link #63
strangeness_dss
unstable

DO’S: Expletively, expect the unexpected.
DON’TS: Wanna see it cause you like the cover art? SHAME ON YOU!

Last edited by strangeness_dss; 2006-05-31 at 23:15.
strangeness_dss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 08:23   Link #64
SlugZilla
woofles

Don't cosplay as your favorite female character, if you're a guy.

Do sing your favorite anime song in the shower.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 12:24   Link #65
Furudanuki

Do try to occasionally sample a series from a genre that you ordinarily do not watch. You might find something that will be a pleasant surprise.

Don't let someone else's comments or opinion make you feel that there is something wrong with you for enjoying any particular anime. If you like what you are watching, then for you it is a good anime regardless of what the critical or artistic merits may be.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 14:31   Link #66
Aisu
Junior Warrior

Do try to give a chance to every little single anime out there.

Don't be obssessive of a particular series, because when it ends, you will be curled up in a corner and wispering to yourself like a maniac.
Aisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 23:39   Link #67
stretch87
Anime Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker
Do watch a show all the way through, even if you don't like the first few episodes. Some of my favorites didn't get good until half way through.
I completely agree. some animes take a while to build up momentum. and even if it turns out that i watched 30 episodes of a series that gave me no enjoyment (fantastic childer), at least i got it out of the way and never have to come back to it. if i drop a series part way through, over time i may forget just how much it sucks and pick it up again in the future accidentally.
stretch87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-26, 13:20   Link #68
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisu
Do try to give a chance to every little single anime out there.

Don't be obssessive of a particular series, because when it ends, you will be curled up in a corner and wispering to yourself like a maniac.
I don't need to watch anime to start whispering to myself like some deranged lunatic
Old 2006-05-26, 23:23   Link #69
JamesWong

Really only have to say whats already been said

Do Sample as many different series as you can, you will find ones you love for sure.
Do If you enjoyed a series fansubbed, and you know its coming into r1, try to support them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Don't marathon a 52+ episode series in one sitting and expect to retain 100% of your sanity.
Ohh boy can i attest to this, with having a 2 week period free, i spent this past 2 weeks watching the following continuously and only sleeping a few hours between:

Kenshin (1-95 + OVA1 + OVA2(eww))
Naruto Movie 2
School Rumble (S1 + OVA1 + OVA2 + S2(1-7))
Beserk (1-25)
Maburaho (1-24)
FMP TSR (1-13)
My Hime (1-26 + Specials 1- 26)
Mai Otome (1-26)

I had in the past watched a complete series all at once, but this time i think i overdosed i am sat here feeling very weird almost depressed, its such a strange feeling, i would recommend you don't do it

Now i am going to have to find a way to ease my addiction so i can function in society on Monday.
JamesWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 18:11   Link #70
Shinjachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
My biggest thing... I have no real motivation to buy DVDs. There's no TV or speaker system in the house that's better than my monitor/pc speakers. Even if I had the DVDs I'd rather watch fansubs with better subtitles...
Actually, fansubs are usually a much lower quality than subtitles found on a DVD. Fansubbers are not professional translators, who are hired by whatever licensing company wants the job done. Also, you can play DVDs on a computer. I'm not against watching the anime on the net, but I feel that every once in a while we should support the companies that give us the anime. If we stop buying from licensing companies, then they stop buying from the Japanese studios because it isn't making them money, and if the anime business goes bad for Japan, why bother keeping it around?

Do watch the classics. It gives you a better understanding and appreciation for the new when you appreciate its roots.

Don't refuse to watch a series just because it's high in popularity at the time. I did this with Soul Eater for a year before I finally tried an episode, and I absolutely love it.

Do maintain a level of class as an anime fan, both in person and on the forums. When you choose to 'tYpE lYk ThIs KuZ iTz SoOoOoO kAwAiI dEsU!!11!11' you create a bad reputation for those of us who actually appreciate grammar and proper spelling. In addition, when you try to claim fluency in Japanese by pronouncing all of that terminology you learned from bad Inuyasha fanfiction incorrectly, you make us all look like ignorant, uneducated idiots.

Don't hate a female character without reasons. If something about her appearance or personality or actions during the show or dialogue grates on your nerves, that's acceptable. When you say "omg that bIoTcH getz in da way off Naruto n Sasuke havin gey secksy tymez!1!1!!!1!", that's not an acceptable answer. Fanfiction exists for a reason, ladies. Being indifferent to a character is also acceptable. It's not necessary to hate her because her character has boobs and not a penis.
Shinjachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 20:42   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Actually, fansubs are usually a much lower quality than subtitles found on a DVD. Fansubbers are not professional translators, who are hired by whatever licensing company wants the job done. Also, you can play DVDs on a computer.
Some right and some wrongs....
1) The *video* quality tends to be better on DVD/Blu-ray (though most people couldn't tell the difference for casual viewing). However, it depends on what attributes you consider important (see the religious war video discussions threads).
2) The *translation* can be utter crap even if the company pays lots of money for 'professional work'... likewise the translation can be stellar from a translator who does fansubs for a hobby because they care. And the reverse can be true. Hiring it doesn't make it automatically better.
3) You can play DVDs on a computer (and it often looks better on a quality monitor).
4) OTOH, DVD standards for subtitles simply utterly suck in comparison with the sweet work that happens with fansub subtitling work lately (yay for aegisub, etc). DVD and Blu-ray needs to respond to that somehow to stay competitive. Frankly, that's a head-scratcher without just dropping the format and go with h.264/xvid/mkv.

What I tell people is, if you don't buy the DVDs, buy the swag, buy the figures, buy the CDs - that supports the japanese anime industry.

I buy the series ... but it isn't unusual for me to either
1 - keep using the fansubs of it because they're more convenient and the translation/subtitling is superior.
2 - rip the DVDs I buy and then apply the fansub subtitles with my tweaks (this does take time and I have to *really* really feel compelled).
3 - find DVD-rips with subtitles I like which saves me the labor of choice 2.

At some point, I'll probably just start buying Region 2 Japanese releases directly (blu-ray) because it doesn't look like the Region 1 distributors are going to step up to blu-ray.

Thumbs up on the other do's and dont's there. I usually try at least a few series a year in genre outside my comfort zone. Soul Eater was one such successful "deviation'.
Old 2010-05-07, 21:37   Link #72
Slice of Life
eyewitness

The quality of official translations varies. There is a golden rule that applies to any industry: Don't suppose somebody knows what he's doing just because somebody else pays him for doing it. I have no insight in the anime industry but I'm sure a university-educated translator costs more than a former fansubber. Also, what people do out of enthusiasm is often superior than the product of their 9 to 5 work. Finally, what is produced for the crowd doesn't necessarily suit the tastes of the hard-core fan segment, and some voluntary choices "professional" subbers make are unacceptable by any "serious business" standards.

Of course, for-profit translations are generally better than bad fansubs (although some CR products make me doubt even that).

Yes I'm aware that I'm posting in an ancient thread.
Old 2010-05-07, 23:02   Link #73
Primary Consult

Yay for thread necromancy.
There is no reason [other than price/availability] to *not* buy Japanese blue-rays, since Japan and the U.S. are in the same Blue-Ray region. Even if you don't know a word of Japanese and there's no subs, it is one of the best ways to support the anime you like... I've checked out a few things simply because I remembered seeing the DVD/Blue-Ray sitting on my neighbor's shelf.

Also would also like to add a Don't:
Don't spend half an episode trying to determine if it is anime-original, then dismiss it as filler/junk once it's been determined. This will suck any chance you've had of enjoying it, and if you're watching in a group, there is a good chance your negative vibes will ruin it for everyone.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 23:27   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
Yay for thread necromancy.
Seems like we have a spate of those at the start and close of each semester.
Quote:
Also would also like to add a Don't:
Don't spend half an episode trying to determine if it is anime-original, then dismiss it as filler/junk once it's been determined. This will suck any chance you've had of enjoying it, and if you're watching in a group, there is a good chance your negative vibes will ruin it for everyone.
Especially when said "anime-only" item was written by or with considerable input from the mangaka... then you *really* look stupid.
Old 2010-05-10, 06:45   Link #75
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

Watching the fansubs as they're released is better than watching them after they're finished.

This is the main cause of backlogs.
StudioJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 12:47   Link #76
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

DON'T marathon a series for so long that you fall asleep. Been there, done that, had my sleep schedule horribly messed up for the whole week.

DO watch anime with friends and family. Even the worst anime can become enjoyable when you watch them with company!
Old 2010-05-11, 22:25   Link #77
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

DO Watch anime ever single day

Dont Watch anime with people who talk all the time
Old 2010-05-12, 19:54   Link #78
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Do Watch an anime with friends
Do form your own opinion first
Do have a drink ready. (Might have be alcoholic in the same of some anime )

Don't exclude an anime solely because of the premise
Don't exclude an anime solely because of the art
Don't watch hentai at night; you may have nightmares.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 19:39   Link #79
Raa
Sceptic

Do watch anything that gets from little to no attention on anime boards, lately that's where the best stuff is, no kidding! (to mention a few, Seirei no Moribito, Katanagatari, Heroic Age and much much more)

Don't watch anime if there is at least one hot springs/pool/beach trip episode in it, saves a lot of time, as almost all anime with such episodes, majorly suck.
Raa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 19:56   Link #80
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Do watch anime as if each series is an entirely different entity. No matter if its an adaptation, sidestory or a spinoff, do so. It will save you the headache from being nitpicky.

Don't generalize (or otherwise compare) anime series with each other. You're insulting the very people who produced the series by saying "all Key series are the same", "Yuri from Angel Beats looks like Haruhi" or "all recent anime are only for fanservice".
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote