Notices

Old 2006-09-17, 19:46   Link #381
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Here are my top 5 series

Full Metal Alchemist - possibly one of the best written anime ever, I love this
Ouran Highschool Host Coub - a cloooooooose 2nd to FMA, my fav current anime
Rurouni Kensin - was 2nd for a long time, still one of the best series ever (minus the last 30 epis)
Trigun - Vash is awesome
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - I have no explanation for this series, its just amazing

My fav anime movies

Mononoke-hime
FMA Conquer of Shamabala
Akira
Ninja Scroll

Honorable mentions: Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Saiunkoku, Tsubasa Chron, xxxHolic, GetBackers, Fate/Stay Night, Utawaramono, Bleach, Naruto
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2006-09-19 at 21:50.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-17, 19:57   Link #382
MamoruUsagi

1. Sailor Moon
2. Fushigi Yugi
2. Fushigi Yuugi
3. Ayashi no Ceres
4. Mars
5. The Devil Does Exist
5. Akuma De Sourou
6. Sensual Phrase
7. Bokura ga Ita
8. Wild Act
9. Kare First Love
10. High School Debut

1. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon

200 anime episodes, 18 manga volumes, the live action series. I love Tuxedo Mask.

2. Fushigi Yuugi

Great romance manga.

2. Fushigi Yugi

18 manga volumes, the manga is the best, way better than the anime

3. Ayashi no Ceres

The manga only

4. Mars

Realistic romance series.

5. The Devil Does Exist

Akuma De Sourou is a very realistic romance series.

6. Sensual Phrase

Kaikan Phrase reminds me of my boyfriend and I. My boyfriend is in a band and we have a similar story.

7. Wild Act

Great romance series.

8. Happy Hustle High

Good series

9. Bokura ga Ita

Realistic series.

10. Kare First Love

Realistic romance series.

11. High School Debut

Great romance series.

10. High School Debut

Runner ups

Bokura ga Ita

Mars

Paradise Kiss

Peach Girl

Kare First Love

Sensual Phrase

Kare Kano

Akuma De Sourou

High School Debut

Missile Happy!

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2011-05-12 at 16:52.
MamoruUsagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-18, 01:53   Link #383
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

Ahh top 5....

Hmmm...

Trigun - Best Male Protagonist Ever. Vash completely owns the kawai/deadly genre.

Cowboy Bebop - Perhaps the more stylish anime of all time. A true work of art. Even the movie wasn't a let down!

School Rumble - One of the funniest anime's i've ever seen. The characters grow on you like some kind of viral rash. Currently about to end its 2nd season a must see for all fans of rom/com anime.

TIE - Neon Genesis Evangelion/Serial Experiments Lain - Both have really nice philosophical/metaphysical edge to them, complex characters that offer more than 2-dimensional conflict/resolution personalities.

Tie - Naruto/Bleach - Im sure many people will disagree but I still think the first 50 episodes of Naruto were amazing, strongest start to a long running series yet imo (shame about corporate japan fucking us over with those fillers.....) bleach is much the same good high pace action anime with intriguing story lines & huge casts of somewhat shallow characters. Its the anime equivalent of Heroin.

Honourable Mentions:

Studio Ghibli releases - I'm not a big fan of ghibli, they do some nice work but Tbh anyone trying to westernise anime is doing us (us being the elite fan base) a great dis-service.

Full Metal Panic - Runner up to Trigun.
Mai Hime/Otome - Runner up to Bleach/Naruto
Kenshin - Runner up to Bleach/Naruto
Keroro Gunso - Runner up to School Rumble

Manga (film company) Releases - Ninja Scroll & Akira were pretty amazing at the time and still stand up today but didn't quite make the list.

Yay.I like making lists.
Old 2006-10-01, 22:51   Link #384
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Your Top Five Favorite Anime Series

I searched and searched and found no thread like this anywhere (well there's manga, but not anime), so I thought, "might as well start one." Post your top five favorite anime series to date. If you want to include your reasons why (like characters, story, animation, etc.), go right ahead. Let's see what tastes people have.

Example:
1. Utawarerumono - high fantasy story; some of the most original mimikko I've ever seen
2. Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex - incredibly complex storyline, yet erriely plausible picture of mankind's future; cool characters
3. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
4. Slayers - Try
5. Scrapped Princess
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 23:17   Link #385
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

These show up periodically .... but usually its of the inflammatory "best anime" rather than "your favorite anime" --- so this one might be happier

Mine changes as new entries arrive but some series remain classic to me. These are in no particular order because I refuse to do so

--- AIR
(animation quality, musical score, interesting sweeping epic metaphysical story lurking amongst the "typical harem romance fare")
--- Love Hina
(a rambling mess of a series & OVAs with a non-ending but it did these things: it introduced me to the notion that anime was more than just loud people, posturing, and explosions. a lot of the humor was absurd and reminded me somewhat of an old Jerry Lewis movie I remember about a guy who tends to a boarding house full of women, and it introduced me to Motoko, whom for me, defines the basic "kendo girl" and my favorite type of "tsundere" - and is still my favorite.)
--- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
(this show hits so many bells you can barely see the weaknesses... if all you can see is the weaknesses I'm somewhat inclined to spend my time elsewhere. Science fiction, subversion of character archetypes, animation, directing techniques remindful of Welles, Hitchcock, etc. -- and twisting of the time order that would fit in nicely to classic Twilight Zone material)
--- Azumanga Daioh
(Take Calvin&Hobbes and morph it into the journey of a group of girls through high school, some of the best humor out there both subtle and over-the-top., more archetype subversion ...... mainly suffers only from a few very thin episodes.
--- Tsukuyomi Moon Phase
(A complete romantic-comedy-tragedy that begins and ends well. The broadcast series suffered a bit from some animation shop screw ups but those were corrected on DVD. So many romance anime are messes, this one fired well)

Of course, piled up *RIGHT* behind these are such things as REC, Lamune, Petopeto-san, Chobits, Ichigo Masimaru, Mahoraba: Heartful DAys, and several others....

Anime falls into three basic categories for me
1) Beautifully done, buy everything.
2) Nice and entertaining, but not unforgettable
3) OMG, get it off of me.
There's a few anime that manage to hit all three of those categories

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-02 at 00:10.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 00:01   Link #386
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

This is naturally a tough one. Throughout my years of watching anime, I had never encountered what I could call a 'perfect' anime. Animes that are strong, deep and powerful often has it's own share of weaknesses, one might akin to in it's various formats. It's not the overall problems per say, it's just one sector of the anime might be lacking when the other is great. The balance of greatness isn't just up to scale. Having a dream team in anime production seems impossible, really. And drawing a line between enjoyed anime and best anime is also surreal, since greatness at times...isn't neccesarily a good thing.

Legend of Galactic Heroes : What can I say? Politics, war, democracy, autocracy, greed, suffering, LoGH in my opinion, is the embodiment of the perfect space opera epic drama. A beautiful drama spanning galaxies with a rich deep history behind the formation of the anime's setting with rich, intricate characters that stem from shrewd politicians, admirable leaders to simple soldiers. Not to mention it's use of classical ochestratic music gives the anime a sublime feeling of a war between philosophical arguments between what is righteousness more so that a space battle between space fleets. Simply mesmerizing. If it has one weakness, it would be that it opted for a narrative style of story-telling that just tells everything, and less of a visual story-telling where we are supposed to speculate rather than being spoon-fed with words.

Doraemon Trilogy : Call me biased, but to me, had Doraemon not existed, I probably wouldn't had survived my traumatizing childhood. Doraemon gave me light and ease in the heart, and later on, I came to appreciate and see the depth of beauty and wishfulness that ties in the story of Doraemon. It's simple, episodic style of story-telling with gadgets show a sign of human reliance towards machines in our present time and future, but in the end, it shows that the human side that unless we struggle to achieve something on our own, everything is meaningless. The Doraemon Long Stories shows depth in love towards nature and society as a whole, and how we as people must appreciate the nature and society of the world we live in. Doraemon has spanned worlds and depth in the nature of education (( education mangas )), games (( game books )), and so many other key-sectors in themes that are prevailent and good. Truly a classic. It's one weakness....IT HAS NO ENDING!!!!

One Piece : The ultimate shounen. I have never seen a shounen series that can be so light-hearted, lack of death, comical and yet immerse the readers/watchers into a emotional outburst of human drama, addictive story-telling that spans the seas, mystical and surreal mysteries that tie in well to the story, and the simple story of human dreams in a story of pirates travelling to find a treasure. Not to mention it's approach of the world with it's fictional Pirate World allows such a depth of fantasical approach with it's unique art style. It's one weakness....It haven't ended, and when it does, I can foresee only one possible ending that would make it EPIC.

There are other candidates for the 4 and 5...but these 3 to me, will probably be untouchable. EVER.

Edit : I noticed this is Favourite. Then...

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Trilogy : KIRA. YAMATO. FAVOURITE. ANIME. CHARACTER. EVER. Nuff said.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 00:37   Link #387
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Wow, third post and already I'm not going to be adding anything new. I need to diversify my tastes. In classes:

1. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Kino's Journey

Both very atmospheric shows with a relatively intellectual flavor and an even pace. They have their differences, though... enjoyment of Haruhi is in my opinion focused at the extremes of construction in the characters and dialogue on one end and the premise on the other, whereas Kino builds itself episode-by-episode. Haruhi's bright, polished, technically superb art is in contrast to the stylized designs and washed-out palette of Kino, but both are favorites of mine for their visuals as well as the overall viewing experience.

3. Slayers NEXT: My favorite of the Slayers series and the first anime I bought instead of watching through friends or television. Heavy nostalgia points (frankly, I doubt I'll ever be as fanboy for anything again as I was for Slayers), a madcap comedy style dominated by the irreverent self-serving Lina Inverse and ultimate stoic, Zelgadis Greywers, and a generally vibrant take on western fantasy all push Slayers into my top 5 even if I might find it on many points inferior to shows that didn't make this list. Not to mention a nuke-'em-all approach to combat that probably set me up to enjoy #4...

4. Nanoha A's: I've been wary of placing such a recently-watched series on my favorites list, especially since I had initially doubted even when I first joined the fandom that my interest would prove enduring, but when a recent rewatch still proved highly enjoyable I decided to give it the spot. As I indicated, I think some of the superficial resemblences to Slayers and my starvation for action-oriented high-fantasy had a lot to do with my enjoyment of this show, but the deal is sealed by the Signum-Fate rivalry. Fate has to be one of the best reformed-villain heroes of all time, and Signum is my favorite incarnation of the honor-bound knightly archetype outside the regrettably un-animated Lan Fan.

5. FMP Fumoffu. It has it's ups and downs, but the last episode is in my opinion the funniest 24 minutes of animation ever produced.

Of course, besides those top two the list usually changes with my mood. I know I'm feeling nostalgic when Slayers makes #3...

Last edited by Kikaifan; 2006-10-02 at 00:51.
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 01:08   Link #388
Jeiku

In no particular order:

Kino no Tabi: Well perhaps this is number one. It carries a very soft yet philosophically harsh atmosphere with it (if that even makes sense) and it has made me think on more than one occassion. It's just a shame that there weren't more episodes; I'd have loved it even if this carried on for thirteen more episodes seeing as how the light novels are still going strong.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Ignoring the last three episodes which I loathed for negating nearly everything in the series, the ones before it were fun to watch through and very entertaining. The fight scenes were few and far in-between compared to most other action-oriented shows, but I at least enjoyed the story, and how far the two boys made it from the beginning to end. Although I hated the ending, Conqueror of Shamballa wasn't so bad.

Kaiketsu Zorori: I have only seen a few episodes of this one... but it is great enough. With diverse characters and humour which actually makes me laugh for a change, it is a shame it isn't licensed for anywhere else (although I do dread to hear Zorori's English voice). It has some brilliant theme songs also, most of them performed by Yamadera.

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo: Depressing beyond words, but it turns out to be beautiful nevertheless. I'm quite glad the TV series didn't indulge itself with fanserving battle sequences or whatnot. I have read a little bit of the manga, which I felt was a bit more pessimistic in mood, or maybe that's just me. Anyway, the only thing that keeps me from seeing this so much is that it is just plain heartwrenching.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Not a Haruhi fanboy or anything, I just found this comedy to be charming, and quite different from most "comedic" anime that I've seen before. I especially laud Kyon's narration through the series, and it felt like the anime was making fun of even itself. Unfortunately, the first episode drew me away for a while, and so I didn't get into this show immediately, so that's one fault I can name at the moment.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 01:25   Link #389
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This list will keep changing, but right now you could send me to a desert island with these favorites on DVD:

Honey & Clover -- tender, touching, subtle, funny, real.

Simoun -- a great story in an imaginative setting, subtly conveying deep emotions and ideas about life. wonderful background music and character design. one of my two favorite ensemble voice-acting casts ever.

Ichigo Mashimaro -- the funniest anime ever made, and one of the most humane. my other favorite voice-acting cast.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi -- hilarious, complex, great voices, unexcelled animation.

NANA -- emotional power in a multi-vehicle pile-up of lives.

Now I guess I'd better go back and rewatch Last Exile, Uta-Kata, PlanetES, Haibane Renmei, KareKano, YKK, Marimite, Crest of Stars, Oniisama-e, Kurau, Saikano, Elfen Lied, Hantsuki, Iriya/UFO, etc., etc. And Bokura ga Ita is coming up fast.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 02:04   Link #390
Eclipze

Ouran high school host club:
Probably the only anime this year to get into my otherwise unchanged top 5. Top animation quality, excellent scripting for the episodes, good pacing, and original "changes" that actually improved over its manga counterpart. Also, the only series that got me to watch the RAWS even though the subs don't take too long to release.

Hilarious comedy, good character developments, and perfectly fitted music pieces that is able to bring tears to my eyes in touching scenes = win. Its been a while since an anime has done that to me, and to having a perfect ending makes it the best anime series of the year, for me.

Prince of Tennis:
Probably the first shounen series that I've watched, and I loved it. For a series to manage a season or two worth of filler by using an original (though sometimes unbelievable) plot, with bits and pieces of chibi and other comedic episode makes it a winner in my books. The fact that the animation/art drastically improved over the course of the series makes it worthy competitor against other shounen series. This is probably the only shounen series with consistantly good OP/ED songs, with the final OP/ED (Dream believer, Little sky) being my favourite of all times.

FMP - all:
I'm probably one of the few people who did this, but the order in which I watched the entire franchise was TSR>FMP!>Fumoffu?. I was hooked within minutes of the first episode of TSR, and the rest of the series did not disappoint. Managed to get ahold of the first season, which was also really enjoyable. Good mecha fights, story, development, and a well established history to the world of FMP!. Fumoffu was, however, kinda boring. Perhaps I'm just not a big fan of comedy series done by Kyoani (Suzumiya Haruhi, Fumoffu), but it just felt bland compared to series like School Rumble (season 1) as well as Ouran. The music in the entire franchise is great, particularly the OP and EDs - songs that I always listen to.

Honey & Clover - 1&2:
Well, this series has enough coverage that I probably don't need to explain what it is about. Season 1 made me cry my heart out - probably because I wasn't exactly having a good life during the time I watched it. Season 2 didn't achieve that, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The songs weren't exactly to my tastes, except the EDs. I will, however, give credit to H&C2's OP. While not a song I'd listen to, the lyrics help to reflect on some parts of the series, as well as how some characters felt.

Blood+:
While having only watched 26 episodes so far, the series has been enjoyable. Although it was based on animated movie, the majority of the series seemed to be original material by the animation company (Unless there was a novel on it that I do not know of). For an original story, the animators have managed to keep me hooked, while having consistancy in story telling, and excellent animation, particularly in the fight scenes. Music has been great so far - with OP1 being my favourite.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 14:41   Link #391
nororu
wandering star

mmm..

haibane renmei
cowboy bebop
grave of the fireflies
mushishi
samurai champloo
nororu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 16:15   Link #392
MamoruUsagi

1. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon

2. Fushigi Yuugi

2. Fushigi Yugi

3. Ayashi no Ceres

4. Mars

5. The Devil Does Exist

5. Akuma De Sourou

5. The Devil Does Exist

6. Sensual Phrase

6. Kaikan Phrase

7. Bokura ga Ita

8. Kare First Love

9. Happy Hustle High

10. Wild Act

11. High School Debut

Honorable Mentions:

Kare First Love

Paradise Kiss

Sensual Phrase

Peach Girl

Akuma de Sourou

Ceres Celestial Legend

EDIT: I didn't realize I already posted! I'm sorry!

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2011-05-12 at 16:57.
MamoruUsagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 19:05   Link #393
songs4eva
Princess ^_^

Sailor Moon - all the series

Cardcaptors - all three series

Tsubasa - all of them

Chobits - Chii rulz

Naruto - not sure why
songs4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 22:35   Link #394
MidnighT-WolF

1 - Wolf's Rain
2 - Full Metal Panic
3 - Full Metal Alchemist
4 - Elfen Lied
5 - Chrno Crusade

6 - Tsubasa Chronicle
7 - Scrapped Princess
8 - Initial D
9 - Mai HiME / Mai Otome
10 - School Rumble / Bleach
MidnighT-WolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 10:21   Link #395
Kiyomi
Spirit Goddess

Send a message via MSN to Kiyomi
1. Cowboy Bebop

2. GITS

3. Bleach

4. FMA

5. Hellsing
Kiyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 21:36   Link #396
shimplicity

I've just recently gotten into anime so I've watched mostly the popular anime that were recommended. Here's my list anyway,

Fullmetal Alchemist
A very meaningful and realistic story.

Cardcaptor Sakura
One of my guilty pleasure.. the anime that got me into anime..

One Piece
Comedy and Action, the greatest combination of all time.

Hunter X Hunter
Very addictive and interesting characters.

Naruto
Quirky and appeals to the inner child yet quite dark.
shimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 09:05   Link #397
Dave21

Talking Top 5 Anime Favourites

Hi all !

I wonder what is your Favourite Anime ??

My is ofc Naruto, Bleach, Blood+ and Gundam Seed!!

I think these animes are a 10/10 !!!
All four are great ! in all ways ! Just LOVE them !

Well atm im at Gundam episode 38 and after Gundam im gona look for a new anime.

And i am wondering if you all know any good one ?

Ty !
Dave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 14:51   Link #398
sailor_
Nobody's home

Send a message via MSN to sailor_
CardCaptor Sakura
Naruto
School Rumble
Air
Sailor Moon
sailor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 15:31   Link #399
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Noein - Great, emotional, masterfully animated. I'm just bored of hyping the show, so just hurry up and watch it if you haven't already.

Fantastic Children - One of the best plots I've ever encountered in an anime, a drama that's just so tragic I cried fifty million times, and so unique. Many found it boring as hell, I found it amusingly entertaining.

Kino's Journey - The most intelligent anime I've ever seen. Period. Unpretentious and at the same time meaningful as no other anime has been. It's the only anime that I'd watch over and over, and I don't think I'd ever get bored by it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I've watched three times already, and I'm sure there are many things I haven't seen yet. I love the series, from the beginning till the end (the disappointing End of Evangelion is not included) Oh, and the last episode was the best episode I've ever seen in an anime.

Mind Game - The human life compressed into a movie. Masterful. I watched this simply because I liked Kemonozume, but I was blown away with it. The best anime movie I've ever seen.

Honorable mentions - Fullmetal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin, Spirited Away, Vision of Escaflowne, Suzumiya Haruhi.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 15:32   Link #400
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
FMA
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Scrapped Princess
Lamune 0_o

Tags
lists, top five