AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-17, 16:36   Link #441
Nergol

Worst anime ever = Macross 7. It's one thing to suck; it's quite another to suck in the name of a beloved classic.

Honorable mentions:
I'm Gonna Be An Angel, the only anime ever to make me physically ill while watching it.

Ninja Scroll. Thou art awfulness incarnate.

Yakin Byoutou/Night Shift Nurses. This was horrible, even for a hentai. Who thought up this idea? "Let's establish a bunch of really sweet characters we know you'll like and empathise with, then treat you to watching them get raped in the most brutal and disgusting manner possible". The only anime DVD I've ever literally thrown in the trash. And then taken a shower afterwards.

Surprise dislikes: While not horrible in an epic way, these were ones I hated that everyone else seems to love.

Let's start with Evangelion - pretension does not cover for cliche. Honestly unwatchable.

Next how about Kimagure Orange Road? Yeah, yeah, I know - it's a classic. But it's a classic about a yutz of a kid caught in a love triangle between two women, neither of which any sane man would touch with a ten-foot pole.

And X - yeah, it was eye-candy, but it made no sense and was just a bunch of screaming psychic buttmonkeys.

Then there's Ai Yori Aoshi, which... zzzZZZzzzzzz... sorry, I fell asleep from boredom even writing one sentence about it.

Azumanga Daioh was like listening to a four-year-old tell a joke they made up themselves. You know, how they'll like, go on and ramble and ramble and never actually give you a punchline, but think tyou ought to find this funny because it is, after all, a joke. I watched three episodes, and it was all like that - it seemed like eternal setup for punchlines that just never showed up. People who find this hilarious must be the sort that fall off their chairs doubled over in laughter at today's Marmaduke.

And lastly but not leastly, Haruhi Suzumiya. I know I'll get flame for this one, but I've honestly never seen an anime with a main character so completely unlikeable. I spent my whole time watching it wishing that this sociopathic termagant would die in the freak explosion of a sewage treatment plant.

Hated the anime (but not the manga): I am a huge fan of the Love Hina manga, but the anime was utter crap. Sorry, it was. Look what they did to Mutsumi! In the manga, Mutsumi = flighty genius girl (you know, the type of academic who can tell you how a miner's strike in Australia will affect paper prices in Russia, but leaves the house in their bunny slippers). In the anime, Mutsumi = blithering idiot. Damn them!!!

Last edited by Nergol; 2006-12-17 at 17:04.
Old 2006-12-17, 22:49   Link #442
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
Ninja Scroll. Thou art awfulness incarnate.
Now, are you speaking of the movie or the series? If the former, then I would like a bit more in-depth reason as to why you feel that way. If the latter, well, I can't really disagree.
Old 2006-12-18, 09:38   Link #443
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
X/1999 the movie, my fav character died in the first scene and got his name spelled wrong in the subs... unforgiveable

Biohunter, read many good things about it.. but basicly i thought it sucked

Twillight Masters, also sucked to my opninion...

mahou sensei negima, the first series... the way it was being drawn was just too much for me..

Beyblade, one of many series.. that they thought was going to be really big in my country... but it flopped

Soultaker, int he beginning i liked the series a lot.. but the reuse of music... just drove me nuts..

Ninja Scroll series, i got the dvd box for my b-day years ago from my older sister, but after seeing dvd 1 i was going nuts because of the same guitar song that was being used at the action scenes.. @-@

edit: and ofcourse Tekken
Old 2006-12-20, 05:09   Link #444
Aeriths Spirit
Silver Hair Pouncer

Send a message via AIM to Aeriths Spirit
OH I forgot to mention:

UFO Princess Valkrie. It is just trying to hard...-.- cute yes but Ill get my cuteness elsewhere thanks.

Kimi Ga Nazomu Eien. If I could, I would throw that all over the place and have my dogs leave presents on it. Luckily all I had to do was delete it off my harddrive. I don't watch anime for drama. If I want that i'll watch Fushigi Yuugi.

Ayashi no Ceres. it just left a bad taste in my mouth for some weird reason.

Inu Yasha. I saw Ranma 1/2 way before this. Same thing but another era pretty much.

Bleach. Yes, I think bleach needs to be thrown out the window.

Naruto. Stopped watching it cause I think animes based on fighting are boring.

I also hate animes where EVERYONE dies. I mean wth? =/ made me watch a whole series and the outcome of it all is to kill EVERYONE, but one person?! That is just a sad excuse for an ending.
Old 2006-12-20, 18:59   Link #445
Sinanju
Koroshiya

Honey & Clover

Trinity Blood

_HATE_ >.<
Old 2006-12-20, 19:35   Link #446
DanielSong39

I usually don't pick up a series unless it has good word-of-mouth, so "most disappointing" might be the best term to use for this list.

Suzumiya Haruhi - Episode 0 and an unlikeable main character turned me off from the getgo. Severely disappointed - was expecting a classic, or at least an entertaining show. First show I've dropped in the middle of an episode.

Ai Yori Aoshi - Starts off very strong, as it had all the makings of a romantic drama with an engaging storyline. Then things start to unravel towards the latter half of Episode 4 - and by Episode 5, it becomes utterly unwatchable.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien - Started to get ticked off with the main characters in the first episode (it was SO obvious that Mitsuki and Takayuki was the couple; Haruka was basically a bystander). By the time Takayuki forces himself upon Haruka, this show pretty much lost me.

Rozen Maiden Traumend - Actually, a pretty decent show, but couldn't muster up enough interest to finish it. First season was complete in itself.

I'm Gonna Be an Angel - Just too strange for my tastes.

Mamotte Shugogetten! - Started out as comic gold, but fell apart when they started to work in the romance. Doesn't help that Shouko outshines Shao - and has the best exchanges with Tasuke.

Pokemon! - Why didn't it end after the Indigo league? Everything that follows is derivative.

Dragon Ball (not to be confused with Dragon Ball Z) - An A+ manga with a C anime adaptation. Maybe my expectations were too high?

Marmalade Boy - OK show, but far too long, and Miki deserves to be in the Hall of Shame for anime heroines. After a while I decided that she was actually the villainess - and my enjoyment of the show went up considerably. Seriously though, Meiko was by far the more interesting and developed character.
Old 2006-12-21, 02:15   Link #447
philip72

Gilgamesh; piss poor animation and unattractive character design's, but it had an engaging story and kept me interested until the last episode.
How it ended though was a travesty; the world is destroyed and nobody survives, end of story.
We watch misery after misery componded on those poor bastards and then everyone dies horribly and the world is destroyed, the end.

The last episode was a kick in the groin and a middle finger to anyone who watched the show.

Oh, and DanielSong39 did you watch any SHnY after episode 0? it was a very different show than the first ep., which was just a movie they did for the school festival.
Old 2006-12-21, 02:29   Link #448
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Suzumiya Haruhi - Episode 0 and an unlikeable main character turned me off from the getgo. Severely disappointed - was expecting a classic, or at least an entertaining show. First show I've dropped in the middle of an episode.
You DO know that the two main characters are barely even shown during episode 0, right? Haruhi is only shown during the last ten seconds or so, and Kyon is only doing narration. Episode 0 is just them making an intenionally B-rated home movie for a school festival.

Watch episode 1... a lot of people that found episode 0 dry loved the rest of the series.
Old 2006-12-21, 04:31   Link #449
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
Honorable mentions:
I'm Gonna Be An Angel, the only anime ever to make me physically ill while watching it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post

I'm Gonna Be an Angel - Just too strange for my tastes.
Currently airing on Mexican cable; By far, the worst show Animax Latin America has brough over here IMHO.
Old 2006-12-21, 04:59   Link #450
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Legend of Lemnear.

+ Nice Character designs.

- Lacking in story.
Old 2006-12-21, 08:45   Link #451
wontaek

Yoake~ Crescent Love: Last 3 episodes were very lame. It was a torture to watch the last episode.
Old 2006-12-21, 11:06   Link #452
DanielSong39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
You DO know that the two main characters are barely even shown during episode 0, right? Haruhi is only shown during the last ten seconds or so, and Kyon is only doing narration. Episode 0 is just them making an intenionally B-rated home movie for a school festival.

Watch episode 1... a lot of people that found episode 0 dry loved the rest of the series.
I dropped it 5 minutes into Episode 3, not episode 0.

I should've made that more clear.
Old 2006-12-21, 20:46   Link #453
Aeriths Spirit
Silver Hair Pouncer

Send a message via AIM to Aeriths Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Gilgamesh; piss poor animation and unattractive character design's, but it had an engaging story and kept me interested until the last episode.
How it ended though was a travesty; the world is destroyed and nobody survives, end of story.
We watch misery after misery componded on those poor bastards and then everyone dies horribly and the world is destroyed, the end.

The last episode was a kick in the groin and a middle finger to anyone who watched the show.

Oh, and DanielSong39 did you watch any SHnY after episode 0? it was a very different show than the first ep., which was just a movie they did for the school festival.
Sounds like Space Runaway Ideon =P
Old 2006-12-22, 01:53   Link #454
DanielSong39

I did watch 1 and 2, and a part of 3. At that point I realized I simply wasn't Suzumiya Haruhi's target audience. It's one of those hit-and-miss shows that creates both rabid fanboys and people that turn away in disgust. I'm afraid I belong to the latter group.

Then again, that doesn't mean it's a bad show - some shows just have the tendency to generate mixed reactions. All shows that are truly original and experimental seem to have that aspect.

For example, I loved the original To Heart and would easily place it at the very top among dating sim conversions, but I'm well aware of the hit-and-miss nature of that show. But kudos to the creators for coming up something different from the usual harem show.
Old 2006-12-22, 03:19   Link #455
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Trinity blood- it feels like a rip off of hellsing, trigun, chrno crusade. we get like one ep pertainting to the plot then like 2 eps of filler garbage. the crhacters aren't very interesting, and the villians are exceptional but pretty boys who remind me of legato and knives. The ending was just god awful.

Evangelion- watched every ep at a friends behest and i still thought it was ubber crap. i couldn't stand the characters and there was always this wtfness about it.

Hellsing was just too boring and deserved to be thrown to a dog.

Pokemon/ inuyasha- plot through repetition gets old. plus pokemon needs to end, and inuyasha ended horridously.

mew mew power or whatever- i only saw the dub, and it was terrible i almost ripped out my hair. It was a wanna be sailor moon, but failed.
Old 2006-12-23, 01:24   Link #456
Nergol

Quote:
Currently airing on Mexican cable; By far, the worst show Animax Latin America has brough over here IMHO.
Too bad it's not on Mexican wo-ooh radio...
Old 2006-12-23, 19:10   Link #457
ewzero

Blood & Trigun. I think they sucked =P
Old 2006-12-24, 01:46   Link #458
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Big O, I just hate this anime, I cant get into it and even tho I dont really like mecha, this made me not like it even more

KgNE, when I first finished it I was kinda on the fence but now I really hate this anime, mostly cuz of Mitsuki.

DBZ (dont throw anything at me) I know its considered a classic by some but any anime that takes a long for any decent fighting to happen isnt that great.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2006-12-24, 02:37   Link #459
DanielSong39

I think the ones that consider DBZ a classic are referring to the manga, not the anime.

Never got that far; I only read the first ~8 volumes of Dragon Ball. Must admit I was very impressed. Excellent character designs, cool use of technology, and fun battles - certainly on my list of favorites.

As for anime... Kanon 2006 is heading dangerously close to the "frisbee" category; lackluster plotting, characters with cabbage brains, stupid jokes, and banal, out-of-place music being some of the chief culprits. I'm pretty sure KyoAni is capable of doing better - they're certainly "mailing it in", knowing that they have a hit on their hands no matter what they do.

But they could still redeem themselves somewhat... but barring a miracle comeback they will finish short of the dating-sim "hall of fame".
Old 2006-12-24, 05:49   Link #460
Nergol

I'm not in general a Sailor Moon-hater (I liked the first season and the first half of R), but Sailor Stars was pretty bad.

KgNE had stellar production values, but its moral values were more questionable. The leads didn't act a bit Japanese - none of the self-restraint, modesty, thought for others, or Confucian sense of shame that I like in the Japanese and like the depictions of in anime - and that they're quickly losing as a people. Frankly, it felt like something you'd see on the WB.

On the upside with KimiBozo, Akane is quite the cutie. Which brings us to Akane Maniax. Come on now - are you really telling me that with a stellar character like Akane to work with and a rich background from a popular established series, that AkaMani is the best sequel you could have come up with? And on top of all that, there's precious little Akane actually in the series - the whole thing focuses on monkey boy Gouda.

I'll describe the plot of every episode of Dragonball ever made to you: Green-skinned guy talks smack to blond dude with spiky hair. Blond guy with spiky hair and green-skinned dude get in fistfight. Blond guy with spiky hair starts to lose. Green-skinned dude talks more smack to blond guy with spiky hair, causing him to get a look on his face like someone straining on the growler after three days of constipation. Blonde dude with spiky hair lets out a Mighty Holler™, and punches green-skinned dude, who falls over. Roll credits; see you next week. Though sometimes not; often they string this complex plotline out over a multi-episode arc.
Closed Thread