Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-03, 20:01   Link #1
Xx.BloodyKiss.xX
♥.hυṉτɾεṡṡ.♥

Send a message via MSN to Xx.BloodyKiss.xX
Lightbulb Help, Looking for a show like Elfen Lied!

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum so idk if it's ok to post this question here but... yeah I'm going to do it anyway

Ok so, I didn't like anime much until my friend forced me to watch Elfen Lied then, you can say, I snapped and now I'm in love with it. Haha. So yeah, I just finished it and I need a NEW SHOW THATS LIKE ELFEN LIED!!!! Something that has a bit of humor, romance, dark, blood, action, heart-wrenching scenes (I cried my eyes out in the last two episodes of Elfen Lied), kick-ass heros and/or heroines, evil, dark, supernatural, etc etc. It doesn't have to have all of those things... but you get what I mean?

Anyway, I'm DYING for another good series!! Oh and btw I don't want it to be long, like with different seasons and stuff, ya'know, like Elfen Lied is only 13 episodes, something like that.

Ok, so that's about it... Thanks guys!!

Or... you can just give me any other show that you enjoyed very much and recommend me some. I'm very bad at searching for new series alone

Plz read and comment in all my chapters!!: http://community.sparknotes.com/tag/unwhole

Last edited by Xx.BloodyKiss.xX; 2011-04-03 at 20:14.
Old 2011-04-03, 20:15   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica

Grave of the Fireflies

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-04-04, 01:31   Link #3
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Madoka Magica

Grave of the Fireflies

Neon Genesis Evangelion
I don't see how any of these are like Elfen Lied?

Madoka Magica looks cute, but I'm guessing it has a dark side, while the other two have nothing to compare against Elfen Lied.
Old 2011-04-04, 05:27   Link #4
matrixdutch

Mnemosyne
Kara no Kyoukai
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Old 2011-04-04, 14:42   Link #5
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post

Madoka Magica looks cute, but I'm guessing it has a dark side
It doesn't have a "dark side" it's dark period,all the promo material that make it look cute are all lies , the OP is a lie and has nothing to do with the actual content of the show while ED shows the true nature of the show

Maybe I'm missunderstanding but I don't think the OP is just looking for something that has a plot similar to elfen lied but rather something that will make him/her feel the same way after watching it..
Old 2011-04-04, 15:19   Link #6
JRendell
Manga Addict

I usually associate Gantz with those gut-wrenching series like Elfen Lied.

Seconding Shingetsutan Tsukihime and KnK.
Old 2011-04-04, 21:00   Link #7
mecharobot

I think Genocyber comes closest to Elfen Lied in terms of similar themes and a high level of gore. A girl who can't talk, who has a hidden monster side, falls for a normal guy, kills indiscriminately etc.

Then there are always Alien 9 and Narutaru, but both are incomplete in terms of story so view with your own responsibility.
Old 2011-04-05, 00:00   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post

Madoka Magica looks cute, but I'm guessing it has a dark side, while the other two have nothing to compare against Elfen Lied.
The OP: "humor, romance, dark, blood, action, heart-wrenching scenes... kick-ass heros and/or heroines, evil, dark, supernatural"

That doesn't fit Eva to a tee?

Madoka lacks the humor and romance, has everything else.

Grave of the Fireflies is heart wrenching- even more so then Elfin Lied, and Elfin made me sick to my stomach.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-04-05, 00:19   Link #9
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. The only inconvenience is that it's a bit long (two seasons plus one OVA series), but aside from this, it fits perfectly into your list of preferences.

Also, not really an anime recommendation, but you can always check the Elfen Lied manga. The anime adapts only 7 out of the 12 volumes.

Oh, and I second/third Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Old 2011-04-05, 06:32   Link #10
Mr.Garfield

Quote:
"humor, romance, dark, blood, action, heart-wrenching scenes... kick-ass heros and/or heroines, evil, dark, supernatural"
Darker than black ss1 (can't bring myself to love the ss2)

i think it has all of it, to some extent...
Old 2011-04-07, 21:23   Link #11
Dawnstorm

Basilisk, maybe?
Old 2011-04-08, 07:20   Link #12
Ryan358

Check out Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. There's lots of extreme violence and action. The sexuality seems a little arbitrary a lot of the time though, like they just threw it in for fan service.
Old 2011-07-16, 19:10   Link #13
XxNana-ChanxX
XxNana-ChanxX

Higurashi and Blood+ are both bloody and Higurashi is really disturbing. Monster is about a guy that shoots people... That's all I have.
Old 2011-07-16, 20:07   Link #14
animeffs13240
V for Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan358 View Post
Check out Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. There's lots of extreme violence and action. The sexuality seems a little arbitrary a lot of the time though, like they just threw it in for fan service.
I'm gonna have to agree, its dark and graphic, but I still believe that lied is still a lil bit more gruesome.
Old 2011-07-17, 17:01   Link #15
LostHanyou

Ironically, I introduced my best friend to anime through Elfen Lied. Having said that, judging by how my buddy responded to other anime I've shown him, I'd recommend:

Ga-rei zero: Ending left us both with a similar feeling as Elfen Lied, perhaps even more intense. Quite a bit of blood and gore too. Highly recommended if you like Elfen Lied.

Madoka Magica is definitely a good one as well, but it doesn't quite have the same feeling as ga-rei zero or elfen lied.
Old 2011-07-17, 21:35   Link #16
kitten320

Deadman Wonderland is very similar to Elfen Lied. It has a lot of blood and flying body parts and gore. Also one of the characters is similar to Lucy/Nyu.

Ga-Rei Zero is a must. It does start a bit weird but it keeps building up and ending made me tear up. And first episode was epic!

Claymore
has a lot of blood, dark feeling and action.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni a lot of blood and killing, has some romance.

The following shows are not bloody but they all have dark atmosphere:
Aoi Bungaku series - this series are a set of small stories. Each story is different but all of them have deprressing feeling one way or another. Some stories are better than others. First story is the longest, about 3-4 episodes. Others are 2-1 episode long.

Death Note - dark series with supernatural stuff and mind playing. Most of the times keeps you at the edge of your seat.

Ghost Hunt - a detective series abot ghosts. Has several small arc with different cases. Quiet suspence full and has some comedy. Some arcs are better than others. Reall fun starts at arc 2.

Madoka Magica looks very cute at first but don't be deceived, it is quiet dark. You'll understand after episode 3.

Monster are real life detective series about doctor trying to kill serial murderer whom he saved in the past. Quiet long series though.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom are gun action series about professional assasins and their lifes. Series are devided in 3 arcs so one arc might be better than other.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin are dark series with a lot of violence, though not at Elfen Lied rate. Series are not super natural but have some romance, action, drama and comedy.

Shiki are quiet dark supernatural series about vampires.
Old 2011-07-18, 00:28   Link #17
Boduar

Hellsing OVA's (not the anime which was crappy in comparison). Not yet complete but I think 8th episode is supposed to be out this summer unless they pushed it back again. Only thing is that it doesnt really have a lot of humor and the only romance is kinda meh (not a lot of setup just kind of X and Y loved each other).
Old 2011-07-18, 03:29   Link #18
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
I usually associate Gantz with those gut-wrenching series like Elfen Lied.

Seconding Shingetsutan Tsukihime and KnK.

Gantz is nothing like Elef Lied, actually, nothing I've ever seen has been.
Closed Thread