AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-20, 14:41   Link #1
ReAcrylicMetal

Creepy Disturbing Horror Macabre

In time for Halloween, I figured it's about time I find a new creepy/disturbing/horror/macabre title. I'd prefer manga, but anime is fine if done well.

Some great examples:
Fanken Fran
Homunculus
Helter Skelter
Shingeki-No-Kyojin
Gyo
Dorohedoro (kinda)
Edit:Gantz
Elfen Lied

(If it helps, I love H.P. Lovecraft's books with a passion)

Titles nowhere near what I want:
FMA
Black Butler
D. Grey Man
Death Note

Edit:
Tried Shiki, but was slow. I'll try picking it back up

Already seen/read Higurashi, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Skyhigh, Mirai Nikki, Hell Girl, xxxholic, Trinity Blood, Elfen lied, Claymore, Shigurui, Tehnolyze, Freesia. All good, but a lot of those aren't quite on the level that I'm looking for.

Will definatly look up the following so far:
Genocyber, Paranoia Agent, Ibitsu, and everything recommended by Fevvers

Last edited by ReAcrylicMetal; 2011-10-21 at 15:11.
Old 2011-10-20, 14:48   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You might want to give Shiki a try. It takes a bit of time to get started and it's slanted towards creepy over guro and character over flash, but it's really a fine series.
Old 2011-10-20, 17:24   Link #3
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Hrm, a couple good Halloween anime...there really aren't any true Halloween anime that I can think of (do the Japanese even celebrate Halloween?)...but there are a couple of anime that are sort of in the spirit of Halloween:

Paranoia Agent: One day on her way home from work, famous character designer Sagi Tsukiko is assaulted. The only details she remembers are that her assailant was a young boy wearing golden roller blades and brandishing a golden baseball bat. Two police detectives take the case and try to hunt down any information on “Shounen Bat,” their name for the unknown assailant. It isn’t long before Shounen Bat strikes again and again, and with each assault more and more strange things start happening.

When They Cry: After moving into the quiet town of Hinamizawa, Maebara Keiichi spends his days blissfully in school often playing games with his local friends. However, appearances can be deceiving. One fateful day, Keiichi stumbles upon news of a murder that had occurred in Hinamizawa. From this point on, horrific events unfold in front of Keiichi, as he soon learns his close friends may not be all that they seem. Don't let the character designs troll you.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-20, 17:55   Link #4
jedinat

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - has a bit of a high school romance vibe... but the horror aspect is there... some creepy imagery here and there.
Skyhigh - been a while since I read this, but I remember it being a decent dark supernatural/horror manga.
Ibitsu - really creepy... just ick, didn't like this one at all, lol
Old 2011-10-20, 20:04   Link #5
Undertaker

For anime, I would recommend Jigoku Shojo (Hell Girl) it does have macabre atmosphere in it. There is manga available, but the anime is actually much better.

Another one would be xxxHolic, though this one is opposite where manga is better. This series deals a lot of spiritual and supernatural events.
Old 2011-10-20, 22:46   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Shiki and Mirai Nikki

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-10-21, 01:40   Link #7
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

This might be a long shot but maybe Trinity Blood? Wouldn't be so much horror but I would call it disturbing (not so much though, depends on your pov)/macabre (I think it really has this genre if I am understanding the meaning correctly). I think it would actually make a good "Halloween" anime without the horror though.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”

Last edited by barcode120x; 2011-10-21 at 03:50.
Old 2011-10-21, 03:10   Link #8
kye_x

Genocyber.. need i say more ? ^__^
Old 2011-10-21, 04:24   Link #9
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Give Gantz a try.
Old 2011-10-21, 04:39   Link #10
Raaz

hm, things u might like are
Gantz
Elfen lied
Claymore
Shigurui
Tehnolyze (severely psy)
Old 2011-10-21, 11:19   Link #11
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Whee! Someone who likes Helter Skelter (and Dorohedoro)!

Just as good (if not better) as Helter Skelter is River's Edge, by the same creator. Manga that are more along the lines of headiness and the cerebral are Dragon Head, and Itou Junji's Uzumaki and Tomie.

Though not horror, Yamamoto Naoki's Arigato and Believers are great mature reads as well that deals with various psychological issues (and please, they're more than just sex scenes. Honest!).

And lastly (as my infatuation with the author has not subsided one bit) you might want to check out Freesia which I believe (despite some aimless volumes) is still one of the best manga I've read in terms of delivering sheer chaos and complexity. The ending still brings a satisfying kick to my soul.
Old 2011-10-21, 13:14   Link #12
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Gantz & Genocyber They are awesome not amazingly scary but you can say they are halloweeny.
Old 2011-10-22, 00:45   Link #13
Niji

Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari - anime, dark creepy trippy
Old 2011-10-22, 00:54   Link #14
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Try Bloody Maiden. It has horror mix with ecchi goodness if you're into that. There's also Umineko no Naku Koro ni, the arcs were repetitive but some of the things in the anime are quite trippy and suspenseful.
Old 2011-10-22, 02:53   Link #15
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Saya no Uta. You can watch the VN on Youtube, at least.
Old 2011-10-22, 20:37   Link #16
GreatTeacherKen

It's more of a dark fantasy adventure mixed in with some horror as opposed to a straight horror manga, Berserk (which is still ongoing) might be worth a look as it does have plenty of macabre and disturbing imagery with some of the most infamous examples being the Eclipse scene and a certain villain's torture chamber. The TV series anime adaptation focuses on the arc that has the least horror elements and tones the brutality down quite a bit, so if you're looking for horror, the original manga would be better fit. It's very NSFW or school though.

It has a lot of freaky looking monsters too, especially during the aforementioned eclipse scene. This link has a non spoiler image from that scene but don't read the text if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...reFuel/Berserk
Old 2011-10-22, 23:28   Link #17
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Saya no Uta. You can watch the VN on Youtube, at least.
Horrible memories are coming back.....

Edit: Since my first post was not befitting with your edits I support Paranoia Agent based on the picture submitted by creb alone (of course I have watched the anime myself, just the picture can give you a clear sign)
Old 2011-10-23, 12:05   Link #18
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Just one.... Boogiepop phantom.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-10-25, 19:43   Link #19
kitten320

Try to watch Hundred Stories. It doesn't have much blood but it covers some very disturbing topics like for example someone getting ecstasy from watching a decading body and a lot more.

Animation on its own is pretty creepy.

The whole idea behind series is to solve some mysteriouse murder cases and biggest part of them has something to make you cringe. They always find the criminal and punish him/her.
Old 2011-10-25, 19:46   Link #20
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Blood C is also quite horrifying at some times and the ending of the serie was uhm.... let's say unexpected
Closed Thread

Tags
creepy, disturbing, horror, macabre, manga