AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-19, 00:43   Link #1
fsior

Madoka Magica

I was extremely suprised by this show, really didn't expect much from it. Anyone can suggest any shows based on this anime?
Old 2012-05-19, 00:57   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Let's see:

Nanatsuiro Drops, Cardcaptor Sakura, Mai Hime & Modern Magic.

These possess the elements like Madoka. A couple of them have a lot of dark and tragic moments like the said series itself.

What do you think?
Old 2012-05-19, 00:57   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Something similar to Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

While this anime isn't quite as bleak, I think Umi Monogatari can at least match the dark magical girl part at about the halfway point of the story. You might also want to try Uta Kata.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2012-05-19, 01:20   Link #4
fsior

It was the dark atmosphere that I liked, I knew nothing about it and assumed it was for kids. But decided to check it out cause someone suggested it to me. The plot twists were great, although I hate to see it end like that, I want more.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:26   Link #5
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

If you want something similar to Madoka, I would suggest you to watch Senki Zesshou Symphogear, except they have "singing magical girls".
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-05-19, 01:41   Link #6
Calca
Expressionless

Narutaru

Kind of like pokemon, but gets very dark and gruesome.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:07   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The opening episode of Narutaru is probably the most deceptive opening I've ever seen.

I'll suggest a rather different type of magical girl show, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu. There's a dark, serious plot in this beautifully animated show.

One other possibility, though it's not a magical-girl show per se, is Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. It's by the author of the Moribito novels. Erin has the power to communicate with magical beasts and becomes embroiled in a political conflict as a result. (The fansubs are better than the linked Crunchyroll version.)
Old 2012-05-19, 07:16   Link #8
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Madoka Magica has a strikingly similar plot to Bokurano, both starting off with deceptive first chapters before getting progressively darker and more depressing as more and more details are uncovered. I recommend the manga of Bokurano over the anime, as the anime changes many plot details.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:53   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsior View Post
It was the dark atmosphere that I liked, I knew nothing about it and assumed it was for kids. But decided to check it out cause someone suggested it to me. The plot twists were great, although I hate to see it end like that, I want more.
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-05-19 at 09:07.
Old 2012-05-19, 13:47   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsior View Post
First, I'll suggest an entirely different type of show, Monster. It does have mostly adult characters, so if you're looking for a cast around the same age as Madoka, Monster won't fill the bill. Otherwise it has a dark atmosphere, is definitely not for kids, and is full of plot twists and cliffhangers.

If you liked the art style of Madoka, you might want to take a look at other shows by its director, the controversial Shinbo Akiyuki. Of his recent work, Dance is the Vampire Bund is probably closest in temperament to Madoka, but it's decidedly ecchi and stars a centuries-old vampire, Mina Tepes, who looks like she's ten. That contrast offers a number of opportunities to appeal to the loli fans in the audience with images like this one (NSFW) that appears behind each episode's closing credits. (At least one scene, involving lotion, is censored in the streamed version at Hulu.) You might recognize the voice actress who performs as Mina; it's the same young lady that voiced Madoka, Aoi Yuuki.

The character designer for Madoka, Aoki Ume, teamed up with Shinbo before to make the Hidamari Sketch series of slice-of-life shows about four girls attending an arts high school. You'll see a distinct similarity between the main girl, Yuno, and Madoka:

Since the title of the show means "Sunshine Sketch" you can guess that's it's a lot more cheery than Madoka.

Two other shows by Shinbo also star a vampire, in this case one that is also attending high school. These shows, Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, are dark comedies with, as always, stylish art work. Nise is a sequel, so I'd wait until you get a chance to watch Bake first.

Here are a couple of other shows you might enjoy:

Ghost Hound, by Shirow Matsumune, who made Ghost in the Shell. Ghost Hound mixes the supernatural with neuroscience and psychiatry. The main character is a thirteen-year-old boy, Tarou, who was kidnapped and watched his sister die alongside him. The kidnapper was supposedly captured but killed in the process; Tarou determines to find out whether the right man was captured with the help of two friends.

Baccano! - American gangsters and petty criminals encounter immortals during Prohibition. Confusing at first, with a large cast, but worth the investment.

Bakeneko and its sequel Mononoke - A half-dozen short stories about a travelling medicine seller in 18th century Japan who also slays demons. Spectacularly animated with a knockout voice acting performance by Sakurai Takahiro in the lead role.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-21 at 09:39.
Old 2012-05-20, 13:56   Link #11
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Staying with the magical girl formula, you could try the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise (3 seasons and 2 movies [of which the second is due to premiere soon]). The first few episodes of season 1 are fairly light-hearted, about a young girl discovering she has great magical power, but the plot takes a sharp turn in a more serious direction when the antagonist is introduced. And season 2 revs it up with more powerful villains an much darker plot. Plus, the first season was directed by Akiyuki Shinbou, who also directed Madoka.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:28   Link #12
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Fate/Zero. The script writer for Madoka wrote the source material for this; that and it has the same Music Composer. It subverted Fate/ Stay Night into something much darker and cooler.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:42   Link #13
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yes indeed Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu. I can't believe I forget to suggest this show to anyone looking for a magical girl show. As Seiji-san says it's a deceptively dark show and some of Studio 4C's finest animated longer running shows to date.

And yes, goes without saying, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, specifically season 2.
Old 2012-05-21, 23:57   Link #14
Darthtabby

Madoka reminded me a lot of Mai-HiME, and not just because the same composer wrote the music for both. Both series start off relatively light then get much darker later on, and some of the characters seem rather similar as well. There are some pretty major differences as well though. HiME is about twice as long as Madoka and aside from brief tastes here and there it doesn't start to become really dark until quite late in its run. The upside of that is that it has a lot of time to build up its characters before it goes and puts them through hell. HiME also (probably deliberately) makes use of a lot of common anime cliches and conventions, which can be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. Personally I think the show did a good job of taking those cliches and conventions and playing around with them a bit (though it does indulge them on occasion), but your mileage may vary.

One thing to be clear on here: I am recommending the Mai-HiME anime. Not the significantly different alternate universe manga and not any of the spin offs like Mai-Otome (known as My-Z-Hime in North America).
Old 2012-05-25, 10:36   Link #15
fsior

Just finished Mai-HiME. Definately saw the similar atmosphere there. Though the story ended on a happier note then Madoka. I kinda preferred it that way. But the tragic progression of the story from a light-hearted beginning was exactaly what I was looking for. Thanks. Watching a couple of the other suggestions now. If anyone knows anything else, I am all ears. =)
Old 2012-05-26, 13:58   Link #16
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you try Sekirei. It has the contract, magical girl, and supernatural/fantasy elements in it but the protagonist is 19 and it's an ecchi harem series with two seasons.

It's about a battle royale with a twist and a conspiracy behind it. It's heartwarming and cute, but it can be surprisingly dark and mysterious at times. I don't know if this will suit your tastes, but it's all I can come up with...for now.

What do you say?

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-05-27 at 13:55.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:51   Link #17
Aquillion

Try Princess Tutu. Yes, yes. Ignore the name. It's a clever deconstruction of fairy tales in the same general line of thought.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:44   Link #18
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

+9000 for Princess Tutu. Do not be deceived by the theme. This series has some real substance underneath.
Old 2012-05-30, 19:53   Link #19
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Still think you should try Neon Genesis Evangelion

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-05-31, 00:43   Link #20
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Noein. It doesn't exactly start light hearted, but it definitely has the contrast between light and dark down very well. Characters die, the story has this melancholic tragedy to it, but there's plenty of action.

Red Garden is an obscure gem. You won't find much happiness in the story, but it is fantastically dark and it makes those bright moments brighter. The first few episodes are stranger than the rest due to the characters breaking out into song (one song per ep, usually towards the end, and it's not as bad, just strange). After that though, no more singing. The story doesn't tie up all the loose ends (just the important ones) and the "sequel" OVA Dead Girls never bothers answering them, but if you're looking for an anime that strays from the usual and is dark this fits the bill.

While not quite as dark as Madoka, Fantastic Children might also be up your alley. It's another relatively unknown anime that is incredibly good.