AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-15, 02:03   Link #1
devildog23
Summerlurking

Back at it again!

So I haven't watched anime for about a year and I'm trying to get back into it again during the holiday break. I just have two requests, which should be relatively easy.

1) In your opinion, the best few series of the 1-2 years. Ongoing anime is okay. Please tell me why it is so good without spoiling it please. (I.E. good character development, or intense, or great action)

2) I'm looking for an anime with lots of action where they actually have epic battles like (dare I say it) the beginning of Naruto Shippuden, or like One Piece (iconic fight for me was Crocodile). I mentioned two mainstream Shonen anime, but I've seen all of them including DBZ, Fairy Tale, Bleach...So please recommend others for me Last few action anime I watched had a huge buildup, but then the action scenes were so lacking.

Thank you!
Old 2012-12-15, 09:58   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
#2 is obvious, you must see:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Old school shounen, rated M for Manly! Just look at the opening.

For #1:

Madoka Magica is the top anime of the past 2 years. Why is it so good? Because it subverts your expectations, addresses deep philosophical questions, and is a well told tragedy. A story of the Fall and Redemption. Great plot. Not surprising as it is based on Faust, one of the classics of Christian literature. Also has amazing music and SHAFT animation. A magical girl anime, but not at all like the stuff my sisters watched. Even if you think magical girl anime isn't for you, give it 3 or 4 episodes before rejecting it. Bought the DVDs even at the overpriced level they have, and despite the fact that I am not a fan of Magical Girl anime at all. The ending song (minor spoiler as it was not aired until the 3rd episode).

Bunny Drop is a great anime from 2011. Sweet, and gentle. The love within a family. Official Trailer. I admit I go back and rewatch this show again and again.

Mawaru-Penguindrum is a symbolism filled response to Aum and the subway bombings. I thought it was a great look at life, although I did not like the ending, which is what drops it below Madoka and Bunny Drop in my book. Watch the first episode if only for the shock of the "Rock Over Japan" scene.

Ano Hana is the melodrama tearjerker of the last couple years. Five friends in elementary school drift apart, but in highschool something happens that forces them to get back together. Well done melodrama is rare, but this one qualifies.

Steins;Gate It's on my watch list, but I've only seen the first episode. Still it competed with Madoka for best anime of 2011. Most people seem to like the character development and the plot. A great opening.

Tiger & Bunny An ode to the Silver Age of superheros. Plays out like a cross of Lethal Weapon with X-Men. If you like American Superheroes you should check it out.

The remake of Space Battleship Yamato Classic space opera with a straightforward epic story. Hurry Starblazers! There are only 330 days left to save Earth! Official Trailer. Think Battlestar Glactica + Star Trek, but Yamato actually came before both Star Trek and Galactica.

There are others, but that should be enough to get you started.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-12-15 at 10:25.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote