AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-30, 14:54   Link #1

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma
Questions on Web Site building

Okay, so I want to make my own site, but I have multiple questions.
1). Is it possible to host with my own server?
2). Where should I find hosting? Recommendations please.
3). What kind of statistics (bandwidth, web space, and other stuff) would I need for just a normal site with small (100k) downloads?
4). I need basic information on building web pages (php, HTMl, XML, etc).
That's just about it, I'll post more when I think of it. By the way, I'll be getting a vBulletin forum and if people would like to Mod I'd be more than happy to have some help.

-Takamori
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 18:24   Link #2
SirJeannot
AT Field

i wish i'll answer your question correctly

1. yes you can if you get an http server on your computer. i strongly suggest you use apache instead of IIS if you're on windows.

2. i don't know that much about hosting, but consider offers below $10/month as crappy hosts

3. it completely depends on how much visitors you get. for example, i have a web site for my fansubbing group that takes 2MB on my hdd. at the beginning, it used about 10MB per month (my pages are quite small). now we get much more people and it grew up to more than 200MB a month. so it's ~~

4. if you need information about php > www.php.net . html is all about using tags like [b]<tag option="foo"> </tag>[b] . if you need further information, i suggest you use some dreamweaver like software to see what html syntax creates (with the code + design view) . i don't know about xml, but as far as i can remember, xml only formats the data, the tough point is xsl, the stylesheets.

i hope that will help
Old 2004-05-04, 01:58   Link #3
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
My opinion on you questions. Not that Im attacking previous answers.

1. Perhaps, check with your ISP. Many ISPs specifically forbid HTTP servers on their connections. But wait, it gets worse. If you have dial up, dsl, or cable, your IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) adress changes periodically. In order for someone to read your website, they have to be able to find it. It's hard to park a domain on your IP adress if it changes every 7 days.

2. Although offers below $10/month are not 100% uptime, dedicated 5mbit/sec servers, you arent looking to host the next 500,000 visitor/day website. Many services charge as little as $10 for a domain and less than $5/month.

3. These days you can find a dirt cheap 99% uptime service with at least 200MB of storage and 2GB/month bandwidth. It'd be hard to spend 2GB bandwidth in a year with a 100kb download.

4. Your favorite search engine is your friend. Try terms like "Basic HTML Guide." I'm sure they are more elequently written than I could ever hope to acheive. Dreamweaver is a good program, and if you don't plan on making money on your website, educational version are cheap. It does have a pretty high learning curve, so be prepaired. You'll also need some sort of graphics package. Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro are excellent, or you could pick up Macromedia Studio MX (which comes with Dreamweaver). It's very difficult to use mspaint.exe to make a website.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 02:08   Link #4
SirJeannot
AT Field

2GB a year?

i hope it's 2GB a month
Old 2004-05-04, 02:20   Link #5
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJeannot
2GB a year?

i hope it's 2GB a month
Hehe... uhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
3. These days you can find a dirt cheap 99% uptime service with at least 200MB of storage and 2GB/month bandwidth. It'd be hard to spend 2GB bandwidth in a year with a 100kb download.
I made the important word red and bold for easy reading.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 15:34   Link #6
s0nicfreak
Taking harem applications
*Artist

Exclamation

I'd tell you where to get realy cheap hosting but I don't want to spam... coughlookatmysigcough
s0nicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote