AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-12-18, 19:41   Link #1
Dwennimmen
(^-^)?

How to avoid slapping pretentious people.

My god my new job.....everyone...ok maybe not everyone, but most of the people there are so insanely pretentious...

You know the types that think they are teaching you something incredible or new every time they open their mouths.

So far the only thing keeping me from slapping a few of them is the threat of an assault charge. I need to learn how to deal with these types as they are also very hyper sensitive, snotty, and obnoxious.

Dwennimmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 20:34   Link #2
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

You know when kids trying to tell you something that they just learnt and thought they are the only person in the whole world knowing about it, but you play along anyway? Go with that approach. Just think of that guy/ girl as an immature brat who is just trying to get your attention. That is the easy way to deal with it

The harder way is play along, but top them up with a further bit of knowledge about the topic. Make them realised they knew less about the topic than you. You will have to be more knowledge at all general topic than them of course.

For example: "You probably don't know about this. But he US actually still far from accepting same sex marriage". reply: "Yeah, even when all other Western developed country and some of the third world, even Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay allowed it."
Old 2014-12-18, 21:20   Link #3
Esclair

You know what really ticks those people off when? When you respond to their 'wisdom' with:

Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 21:23   Link #4
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That sounds like a good way to get fired, methinks.
Old 2014-12-18, 21:32   Link #5
Dwennimmen
(^-^)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
You know when kids trying to tell you something that they just learnt and thought they are the only person in the whole world knowing about it, but you play along anyway? Go with that approach. Just think of that guy/ girl as an immature brat who is just trying to get your attention. That is the easy way to deal with it

The harder way is play along, but top them up with a further bit of knowledge about the topic. Make them realised they knew less about the topic than you. You will have to be more knowledge at all general topic than them of course.

For example: "You probably don't know about this. But he US actually still far from accepting same sex marriage". reply: "Yeah, even when all other Western developed country and some of the third world, even Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay allowed it."
See I usually do respond like this, and it usually results in them becoming offended. I guess I'm not that subtle or good at not sound sarcastic, lol. I mean I don't get the assumptions from them that I'm ignorant of some of the most basic "world" issues that they seem to think are so insanely profound and unique.

I don't want to out-pretentious them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
You know what really ticks those people off when? When you respond to their 'wisdom' with:

Rofl....I said that in my most impressed-but-really-not-impressed voices with one of my co-workers...she just walked away after looking at me oddly.

I understand many don't know that they are pretentious as hell, but at some point in your adult life you will have to learn that most of the talking you do is just to hear yourself...I mean how could someone now know that? :l
Old 2014-12-18, 22:04   Link #6
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
That sounds like a good way to get fired, methinks.
Well, as long as you don't make it too obvious you're trolling them
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 00:29   Link #7
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post

Drop the "O". Widen your eyes and lean closer. Add enthusiam into your voice.

Just keep listening until they run out of steam.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 10:34   Link #8
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I guess I'm fortunate enough to have the kind of job where I can wear padded, over-the-ear headphones so I can tune people out listen to my music while I work.

Endless "Did you say something?" Soul
Old 2014-12-19, 12:52   Link #9
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhāi)
*Graphic Designer

^ what if they're trying to tell you, "the building is on fire?!" *better start running*

---------------------------

as for me, i mostly supervised some of my co-workers, so i don't run into what you're through
mostly. they have to listen to me....after that, they do whatever they like, but not doing a sloppy
jobs or they'll get a couple of words from me. :P

if i'm somewhat of a newly worker, i usually just act the fool and listen to what they have to
say even if they're pretentious or an a$$.

once i'm working in for about a couple of months and knows my job, you ain't telling me what to do
anymore. from then on, i'll just straight out tell them that i know what the heck i'm doing, so you
don't have to tell again and so on...i always double check what i do and
gets thing done correctly in a timely manner...so no one can tell me what to do unless
i'm doing something wrong. when you know you're in the right and doing the right things,
nobody can say anything bad to you since you're doing everything correctly. if they're still
acting like a pretentious bastard, i'll just tell them to quit bothering me, i know what i'm doing.

if worst come to worst, you can always look for another job while still working there.
when you able to find a new job, you can just quit the job your working at right now
to avoid those people if they're sooo annoying you sooo much.

hopefully what i'm saying helps a little or some. and hope you can get along with those
people at your work soon...
Old 2014-12-21, 09:47   Link #10
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwennimmen View Post
My god my new job.....everyone...ok maybe not everyone, but most of the people there are so insanely pretentious...

You know the types that think they are teaching you something incredible or new every time they open their mouths.

So far the only thing keeping me from slapping a few of them is the threat of an assault charge. I need to learn how to deal with these types as they are also very hyper sensitive, snotty, and obnoxious.

Funny, I often come across people that think they already know everything and don't need advice
But I don't think about violence, I simply wait for them to fail so I can rub it in

Dwenn, aren't you simply in the wrong line of work?
Old 2014-12-22, 22:19   Link #11
Dwennimmen
(^-^)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Funny, I often come across people that think they already know everything and don't need advice
But I don't think about violence, I simply wait for them to fail so I can rub it in

Dwenn, aren't you simply in the wrong line of work?

You're confusing co-workers wasting on-the-clock hours attempting to teach me about organic foods and what not at my non-food related job with giving job related advice.

Hell some job related advice would be welcome, like "how do you spend so much time talking shit, gossiping, and being pretentious and still have a job?"