AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-09-02, 10:38   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 799 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Credit goes to AP's Redon for the first spoiler image, and Aohige for the summary:

-Chapter title is "Father and sons". Splash page features Sabo.

-Luffy continues his assault on Fujitora, shouting out where he's aiming each attack next (probably out of consideration of Fuji's blindness). Watching the fight, Zoro thinks there's something strange going on. Luffy says once again that he won't run away anymore, and Fuji replies that he's impressed by his opponent's strength and spirit. However, he doesn't take kindly to being pitied for his blindness since, after all, he's an admiral. Luffy says he doesn't dislike Fujitora, and the chuckling admiral replies that such emotions have no place in a fight between men. He then blows away Luffy with a powerful gravity attack!

-But luckily, he gets caught by the giant Hajrudin, and they make their escape. Zoro wants a piece of Fuji as well, but Bart stops him. There's a fleet of pirate ships 5 kilometers off shore waiting for Luffy and co. which belongs to Orlumbus. As the pirates make their way to the ships, Fujitora already has the debris he lifted last chapted positioned above them. As soon as they make it out to sea, the hail of rubble will sink them immediately! He then says that Luffy's life will be hell now that he's defeated Joker, with many who will come to take his life. Therefore, he figures he ought to finish Luffy first. He also notes that while the young pirate showed sympathy towards his blindness, that was something he actually inflicted on his own, after seeing too many sights he did not want to see.....

-Suddenly, the citizens of Dressrosa appear, yelling for Luffy to return Rebecca to them! Despite Fujitora's warnings, they keep advancing forward. However, the admiral notices that no actual enmity is felt from the crowd. In fact, unbeknownst to the blind man, the people are.... smiling! As it turns out, they knew the truth behind Rebecca's circumstances all along, and are already aware that she returned to her father, Kyros. Likewise, they know the true identity of the "fairies", as well. The actual reason the people are "chasing" Luffy is to stop Fujitora from destroying the pirate ships! The admiral now regrets his blindness, wishing he could see the face of the young pirate who inspires so many people to risk their lives for him.

-Aboard Orlumbus' ship, the Yonta Maria, the pirates have something to tell Luffy. I'll let Aohige handle this part:

Quote:
1. Suleiman joins Cavendish's crew, the Beautiful Pirates consisting of 75 crew members.
2. Barto Club led by Barto Romeo, crew of 56
3. The Happo Army led by Sai, 1000 members.
4. Blue Gilly has joined Ideo's team XXX Gym Martial Arts alliance of 4 members.
5. Leo got the permission from Tontatta elder to come as well, along with 200 tontatta warriors.
6. Hajrudin belongs to the Giant Mercenaries, consisting of 5 giants. They will one day rule over the giants to reform the legendary Giant Warrior Pirates.
7. Orlumbus (sorry, this is how it's spelt in the manga. I'll go fix it later) commands the gigantic fleet of Yonta Maria, consisting of 56 ships and 4300 crew mates.

Total of 5600 pirates wants to exchange sake cups to form a Father and Sons relationship with Luffy.
In other words, they want to join the Straw Hat Pirates alliance as underlings of Luffy!
(just like how the Whitebeard pirates operated)

End of chapter, break next issue.

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-09-02 at 23:52.
Old 2015-09-02, 23:55   Link #2
marvelB

Updated with the summary! Well now, Luffy's gained the respect of the Dressrosa citizens after all, as well as Fujitora's to boot. But I think the most important thing of note here is that the Straw-Hat alliance is OFFICIAL!

....Just too bad this chapter is followed by another break, but whatcha gonna do...?

Edit: Neato, turns out that Abdullah and Jeet join up with Ideo's martial artist alliance, too! Sweet!
Old 2015-09-03, 00:26   Link #3
itachi-san314

I didn't expect such a formal alliance... that was pretty odd. I'm OK with it as long as all these new characters vanish for a long time after this arc aside form barty and cabbage of course. i wouldn't mind them sneaking into some future arcs.
Old 2015-09-03, 00:30   Link #4
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I have a feeling Luffy is going to say that shit is stupid and he's not going to follow through with it. Then other crews will convince him to do so and he begrudging does but he tells them to just do whatever they want.
Old 2015-09-03, 00:31   Link #5
The Small One

I guess Luffy will refuse their request.
Old 2015-09-03, 00:33   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I have a feeling Luffy is going to say that shit is stupid and he's not going to follow through with it. Then other crews will convince him to do so and he begrudging does but he tells them to just do whatever they want.

While Luffy rejecting the offer does seem like the obvious thing he'd do, that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Remember, he readily agreed to ally with Law when he approached him with his alliance proposal at PH.
Old 2015-09-03, 01:23   Link #7
Sebazu

On one hand Luffy might not care about stuff like this, on the other one he could actually do as he said and have Fishman Island under his protection with a group like this.
Old 2015-09-03, 01:57   Link #8
laughingwalls

In the 8 years I've been reading one piece this is the firs major thing in one piece I predicted correctly. Large pirate crews are probably necessary to be a great power in the new world. So I'm not surprised to see luffy have this many followers. Still not near the number ussop has after this arc though.
Old 2015-09-03, 02:01   Link #9
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Well, what can I say? Faith in Dressrosa citizens restored!
Old 2015-09-03, 03:24   Link #10
Zero-alucard

Hello, new user to the forum

IF an alliance is formed with the other pirates, it slowly fulfills Usopp's lie of 8000 followers, only an additional 2400 pirates left!
Old 2015-09-03, 03:27   Link #11
WiliamZ0

Oh my~ This is an interesting development indeed.

One thing One Piece very good at is surprising people :3
Old 2015-09-03, 05:54   Link #12
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

This seems like Whitebeard situation having allies under him. You better accept this Luffy. You badly needed it in New World especially against someone like Kaidou.
Old 2015-09-03, 06:00   Link #13
Talendra

Huh... this sure is interesting. Guess all the dragging out was, as many people predicted, in fact so that chapter 800 could be something mindblowing. I am especially thrilled by the inclusion of the Tontatta Corps, did not see that coming!

I agree with everyone saying Luffy declining this offer would be the obvious reaction, given his character. However, I think he will actually accept (although not in such a formal way, probably more like a grand party on the Yonta Maria) for the following reasons:

1) It gives him the option to show growth and development, towards understanding what is actually needed to become pirate king: influence. This whole thing started out with Luffy doing something unusual - forming an alliance with Law - it would seem fitting to let it end with an even bigger alliance. As Sebazu mentioned, it would give him the opportunity to ensure the safety of places he is involved in, primarily Fishman Island.

2) For better or worse, he has somewhat of a responsibility for this assembly of pirates. All of them were involved in the Dressrosa accident, and it seems reasonable to assume that they will be targeted as allies of Luffy by the Marines and Yonkou, regardless of whether they form an official alliance. Luffy has shown that he cares for others, even if they are just random people. Accepting this alliance would go a long way to keep them save.

3) If he thinks about it, he might come to the conclusion that all this is new and exciting and might lead to even bigger adventures... in short, it might be fun (ok, not so sure about this point...^^)

Anyway, in the end, this decision is about character growth. Given what we know, it is undisputed that one needs a rather large fleet to exert influence, and while Luffy may not care about power and influence for it's own sake, he does need it to ensure his friends all over the world stay safe, especially as he continues to make more and more powerful enemies. Of course, I can't see Luffy going full Whitebeard either, so I am sure Oda will give us a chapter 800 that will show Luffys growth on the one side, while still keeping it Luffy-ish and putting a unique spin on it. If I could just come up with a decent idea of what that spin will be...
Old 2015-09-03, 06:21   Link #14
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

we all know Luffy personality he definitely will refuse plus this is shounen manga where the mc always likes to be underdog for some reason
please Oda dont let do that...this is opprtunity you show for us and dont dissapointed us only make this some teasing.
Old 2015-09-03, 06:22   Link #15
Nihgthawk

There is always the question after each arc who is joining the crew? Who would have guessed that this time the answer is still no one but a fleet of followers are trying to join as subordinates.
Old 2015-09-03, 06:37   Link #16
itachi-san314

I think this alliance will surely happen if for no other reason than Oda spending so much time on these characters that Luffy turning his back on them would be wasteful. He might not be very receptive to it at first like you guys point out, but I can't imagine this not happening eventually. Then again, he might just say "ok" and go on about business as usual (that's my prediction ). It would make for some good reaction shots too lol. Then Luffy's crew would resemble Whitebeard's at Marineford which makes sense story-wise. And we can probably also assume that Blackbeard has this big of a crew now as well.
Old 2015-09-03, 07:36   Link #17
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Fans: Who's gonna be the 10th nakama?
Fan: Rebbecca?
Fan: Barty?
Fan: Cabbage?
Fan: Kyros?
Fans: Who'll be the next nakama!? Please Oda! Tell us! Tell us!

Oda: .........ok fine, you know what? Here! 5000 new nakama! Now shut up!

No but seriously xD
Luffy is likely refuse the whole "parent and child" part, thinking its stupid, but will instead say that they are all his friends now which makes them equals! This will pretty be seen as Luffy being an awesome dude by the representatives and everyone will have a party, where they all drink and create a powerful alliance.
Old 2015-09-03, 08:21   Link #18
noktown

Luffy's so going to refuse the offer, lel.

Unless they offer him enough meat.
Old 2015-09-03, 08:23   Link #19
ellifeedn
Thinker

Yeah, this is exciting news. Something like this is going to change how the world views Luffy and his crew. Oh, and I saw someone post this somewhere else.
Quote:
another stealth pun/callback by Oda: Ace and Bartolomeo are both 2nd division commanders, and they got their names from the same historical pirate, Bartolomeu Português.
Old 2015-09-03, 09:48   Link #20
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

how many pirates fought with whitebeard during the war?
luffy will need as much if not more if he wants to go against the marines in the last battle