Looking for anime/manga like: Tower of God / Tokyo Ghoul / Gamaran / and more

Hi all

I'm looking for recommendations.

My top anime/manga:

- Tower of God
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Gamaran
- Vinland Saga

What I liked about these were the character development. The good strategical, well drawn, thought through battles.
As for Tower of God, Tokyo Ghoul and Vinland Saga I liked that the characters have nice personalaties, a high amount of story development and some dark elements.
As for Gamaran I really liked the strategic, well drawn, serious fighting scenes.

Next to these anime/manga I also liked (but not as much)
- Naruto
- Bleach
- One Piece
Here I liked a lot of the fights and characters in naruto and bleach.

Naruto I liked a lot about the side characters: itachi, sasuke, all of Akatsuki
Bleach I really didnt liked the beginning, and not so much of the ending.
One Piece I thought the fightings scenes could have been a lot better.. some seemed a little easy, but I liked a lot of the side characters again like Shanks, Law, Sabo and Mihawk.

So what I'm looking for:
- a serious plot (could be with humor)
- character development
- good fighting scenes
- nice characters (main and side)
- plot development
- some dark elements would be cool
- tournaments, or levelling/climbing up are a pre
- a lot of episodes/manga's is also a pre

also I'm font of 'human' enemies. or human-like.
I don't really like battles against monsters or beasts. it's okay if theyre in the anime/manga like bleach, but the stronger/smarter enemies have to be human like.

Manga's i've tried but couldn't get through:
- Hunter x Hunter (wasnt bad though.. but I missed something i guess)
- Soul eater (didnt like anything actually)
- Boku No Hero Academy (bit too childish in a way, fights to repetetive and easy)
- Kenshin (found it boring..)
- Fairy Tale (I liked the plot, but the fights were just too easy.. and repetetive)
- Full Metal Alchemist ( I tried, but also easy fights.. maybe it gets better later?)

also didnt finish: Code Geass, OnePunch man, Samurai CHamploo, Sword art Online, D Gray Man, Beserk, Psyren, Ares, Noblesse, Ubell Blatt, Breaker

ofcourse this is my personal opinion. This is roughly and quickly said why I liked or disliked these to give an insight of what you could recommend

Last edited by lookingformore; 2016-03-16 at 19:58. Reason: extra info
lookingformore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 18:52   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Kiseijuu ("Parasyte")?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 23:13   Link #3
IceHism

Fate Zero.

- a serious plot (could be with humor). Check
- character development. Check
- good fighting scenes. Check
- nice characters (main and side). Check
- plot development. Check
- some dark elements would be cool. Tons of it
- tournaments, or levelling/climbing up are a pre . Yep, 1 deadly tournament.
- a lot of episodes/manga's is also a pre, 26 episodes but that's like the same as tokyo ghoul.

no manga. It is LN and anime only.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-17, 19:42   Link #4
kitten320

Did you watch old or new HxH anime? Cause I found it hard to get into old series until like episode 10 while new anime gets you into it much faster despite being more fast paced at the start.

Also when it comes to FMA, which one did you watch? Cause there are 2 seasons and both have different story lines.

So basicly you want it dark with intense action...

Did you try Claymore? Lots of battles include strategies and are quiet intense, does take several episodes to pick up but it's dark with entertaining characters... apart from the guy, he is quiet a crybaby. It's kinda similar to Bersek but I would say it's more action driven. Anime diverted the ending since manga wa snot finished at the time, but it is now. So you could watch anime first and the read manga starting with the last arc since there are some changes.

Fate/Zero would be another one, with amazing visuals.

Akame ga Kill maybe? Dark with entertaining characters and intense fights where characters actually die.

Baccano! has a fun cast and a story is told in a very unique way. 1st episode is a bit meh but it really picks up afterwards. Every random scene is eventually connected to a much bigger picture. Lots of humour but also violence.

Might not work action wise but you could give Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica a try. It's much darker than what you think and has some intense character developments. Give it at least 3 episodes before making a judgement. That's when it picks up.

Not strong action wise but Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom has great, deep characters with interesting story that is divided in 3 small arcs. Pretty dark.

Psycho-Pass is something you should try looking into as well.

You could give Shingeki no Kyojin a try. Even though main enemy are titans, series get pretty intense and dark.

Zetsuen no Tempest maybe?

I hope some of these will be to your liking.
Old 2016-03-20, 12:30   Link #5
lookingformore

nice,

thanks all!

FMA:B I only watched the first 3-5 episodes i think
HxH I did watch the new anime i think.

first i'm going to give fate/zero and akame ga kill!
Old 2016-03-20, 13:38   Link #6
kitten320

No wonder you hated FMA:B, cause first 13-14 episodes are a total disaster. I love this series but I can not stand those first 14 episodes because of how badly the story is handled, very rushed.

It gets tons better from the end of episode 14 and onwards.

Basicly what happened is that back in 2003 the first FMA anime was released that initially followed manga material. But since it was not finished at the time, it diverted and created it's own storyline. However, original anime still covered all the basic introductions and drama that build up the world and our involvement with the characters.

As a result FMA:B decided that since "everyone" saw original anime series, there is no point going through it all again so let's rush through it and only cover basics.

As a result you got this disaster. When Brotherhood originally aired, I myself dropped anime after episode 2. It took me several weeks before I finally picked it up again, cringing each episode.

However, the moment anime reached new material that original did not cover, it slows the pace down and gets into proper details and action, as well as engaging story.

So yeh.

I would recommenced to give it another go and try and get pass first 14 episodes, it gets MUCH better after that both story and action wise. Action wise even episode 14 should get you excited cause King Bradley is badass^^
Old 2016-03-20, 15:35   Link #7
lookingformore

Ah that explains a lot!

I will give FMA:B a second try
Old 2016-03-20, 16:51   Link #8
kitten320

Cool, hope it picks up your interest after episode 14 as well

And if you do end up liking Brotherhood, I would recommend giving original anime a try. Lots of people bash it after Brotherhood was released, but before, it was considered a gem and I still love it. Not to mention that it will give you better introduction to characters and their tragedy.

And to top it, author of the series loved it as well.

Things divert quiet a lot, there are several themes that I liked more than in Brotherhood, it also is a bit darker. Not to mention that it will give you better introduction to things. But it's not that strong action wise as Brotherhood, but does have some memorable moments. Not to mention some great soundtracks.
Old 2016-03-23, 19:03   Link #9
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

You could give the manga called "Kingdom" a try. It's about the first unification of China by the Qin dynasty - yes the plot is serious, though it also has a few light-hearted and even comedic moments.

First 50 or so chapters are more of an adventure story, but after that it starts becoming really good with wars and even a bit of political intrigue. You see the main character rising in ranks over time from a mere foot soldier, to an elite-squad leader of 100 men and then even more while having the dream of becoming a "great general of the heavens", all while slowly building his own army who develop alongside him. Characters are awesome, by the way. There is even a certain character who one would first write off as annoying but over time becomes one of the most likable characters ever. Some of the generals are also experts at trolling others, it's just amazing to read it.

The series has no real superpowers or anything, though there are still extremely strong characters that can take on hundreds of enemies by themselves but they are very rare. Most characters, even when they are strong, go into battle with their army right behind them. Fight scenes are great too and battles between armies include strategy, instinct and experience. The MC also doesn't have to carry along all other characters around him. They can mostly take care of themselves.

Oh, and there is an anime version, but due to excessive CGI, censorship and even skipping an entire arc, I'd recommend to ignore it.

Anyway, drop whatever you are doing and go read Kingdom! One of the most overlooked, but superb top-class seinen manga!

Tags
anime, gamaran, tokyo ghoul, tower of god, vinland saga