AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2016-11-16, 07:57   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 846 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Back to business we go! Credit goes to AP's Redon and Sandman for the spoilers:

-Chapter title is "Egg Defense". Splash page features Luffy and Chopper hanging out with rabbits and a pig.

-Luffy and Nami are eventually overwhelmed and defeated by Big Mom's army. What's more, the enemies take custody of Lola's vivrecard! Meanwhile, back at Big Mom's castle, she accepts Sanji's request to let the Straw-Hats safely leave her territory. In return, Sanji promises that he'll make her daughter Pudding happy.....

-We then change scenes to the castle's treasury, where Baron Tamago gives some exposition on the Poneglyphs. Apparently, there exist THIRTY of these stones in the world, and nine have information recorded in them. Should anyone decipher that information as they journey to Raftel, they'll discover that those stones reveal the secrets of the world. Also, as was explained at Zou, the four Road Poneglyphs are necessary to reach Raftel. Currently, Big Mom has two "regular" Poneglyphs in her possession (counting the one that Jinbei presented her), and one Road Poneglyph.

-Soon, we're introduced to another of Big Mom's Sweet Commanders, the 14th daughter of the empress, Charlotte Smoothie! She has a bounty of 932 million berry. She asks Tamago why security was tightened in the castle, and he answers it's because five years ago, a single mink man managed to invade the castle walls.... Pedro. However, thanks to Pekoms' influence, the jaguar mink had his life spared. Coincidentally, Pedro is currently already in the castle with Brooke, and what's more, they're both hiding out near the treasury! Brooke, having used his ability to scout the area, learns that Big Mom's forces are already aware of their presence within the castle walls. Nonetheless, the skeleton and mink have already steeled their resolve: They'll swipe the Road Poneglyph from Big Mom's clutches by using Pedro as a decoy....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2016-11-17 at 16:19.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-16, 09:13   Link #2
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Summary sounds sweet. I like the way the story is progressing. Very pleased with the developments. And thank you Oda for making another powerful female this series desperately needed.
Old 2016-11-16, 10:03   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

So Pedro will be the one that will get their attention.. I hope Brook can figure it out much which was the Road Poneglyph itself. I hope Jinbe also coming to help Brook since we don't know where Jinbe is currently.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-16, 14:56   Link #4
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

I'd love for Pedro to be a Kaidou plant. that betrayed the Strawhat's when they get nearly everything in order. lol

Here's to hoping that Smoothie girl is good looking and badass. But shouldn't hold my breath, Lola and her sister and all.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-16, 18:27   Link #5
Rainbowman

Thirty Poneglyphs huh? I'm guessing the Road Poneglyphs would not be included to the total count.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-17, 07:28   Link #6
Ultragunner

Now that is a real "nasty" devil fruit if I ever saw one
Old 2016-11-17, 07:57   Link #7
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

uuhh.. Sanji is gone for real?

so how will Luffy and Nami break free this time?
and I wonder what will Pedro and Brook do... I guarantee it will fail though
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-17, 11:00   Link #8
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
I dunno about, I get the feeling the Brook and Pedro are really gonna piss some folks right off.
TBH I'd be pissed off if they don't at this point

Really loving how this is going now, I get the whole sanji and Robin thing are similar but meh I don't really care about that tbh so all good in my book.

Some real funky DF as well showing, smoothie was abit "nasty" indeed
Old 2016-11-17, 13:42   Link #9
The Small One

I liked how the drawing on Big Mom's hat reflected her current expression.
But interessting to see that even after beeing defeated Luffy refused to leave the spot he promised to wait. I'm really curious to see how this will continue.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-17, 16:40   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Thirty Poneglyphs huh? I'm guessing the Road Poneglyphs would not be included to the total count.

Ah, but they are! That much was even implied in the spoiler summary.

Anyways, damn. Big Mom's army is quite a force to be reckoned with. Well, at least as far as her children are concerned. Apparently, Luffy and Nami still managed to take out most of the fodder soldiers. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing more of that book power. It seems kinda similar to Brulee's mirror ability, but obviously with books instead. And I guess Smoothie's ability is to make literal smoothies out of people?

Anyways, to those complaining about Big Mom not showing an angry reaction to Luffy's actions last chapter.... we got to see a hint of that here. Interestingly, her talk with Sanji kinda confirms something I pointed out in the last thread, as well: She seemed to be angriest at Luffy for eating her candy from mermaid island. And as I said then, she's shown the most rage whenever it's something related to her sweets.... she seems pretty good at keeping her temper in check otherwise (plus, she said herself that the wedding is currently her top priority, so she probably didn't want to come across as discourteous towards the Vinsmokes during their meeting).

Now, as far as Brooke and Pedro go.... I know this is an extremely long shot, but I think it would be awesome if Brooke took on Smoothie. Again, I know the chances are quite low, but it would still be pretty awesome if he had some sort of surprise advantage against her. Well, I guess he kinda does have one already since he's nothing but bone (so she can't wring any juice out of him, heh ).
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-17, 20:12   Link #11
Slayerx

Y'know Pedro and Brooke's current situation only makes me think how dumb it was to not bring Robin along. Robin can read the poneglyphs; She wouldn't need to make a copy of the stone, she would just need to read it. And that would be a very easy task to get past the guards since she can just bloom her eye into the room within sight of the stones; she wouldn't even need to enter the room herself. It would be a fairly simple task for her little eye to get by the notice of those guards... not to mention her new abaility to bloom an entire copy of herself makes it easy for her to create her own distractions herself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
uuhh.. Sanji is gone for real?

Well they don't really need to break free. Big mom just promised to let them leave the island alive. Though granted, things aren't gonna play out smoothly like that; no way is Sanji gonna wind up staying behind

Though i am disappointed that this arc did end up feeling too much like enies lobby. Frankly, i was really hoping they would mix it up. But no, we got sanji sacrificing himself to protect the crew from a big threat. Honestly would have preferred Sanji still working on getting out of there.
Old 2016-11-17, 20:25   Link #12
imza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post

Though i am disappointed that this arc did end up feeling too much like enies lobby. Frankly, i was really hoping they would mix it up. But no, we got sanji sacrificing himself to protect the crew from a big threat. Honestly would have preferred Sanji still working on getting out of there.
I actually really enjoyed this chapter despite the fact that I don’t like the whole Enies Lobby parallel. At least now it seems like the arc of the story will not just be Luffy rushing it. I’d imagine somehow big mom and the germa will turn on each other and in that fight, the straw hats will escape.

Regarding Sanji though, it’s almost maddening that this was his strategy. Asides from being cheesy and already done by Robin, Sanji has to be dumbest person on the planet to think this plan would go off well with Luffy. After spending so much time with the crew, does he really think Luffy would give up on him?
imza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-17, 21:20   Link #13
Ramero

This thing is more worse than Eines Lobby.

Sanji is Pedro now if we recall Eines Lobby.

Nami lost her ace card in addition both Luffy and Nami are captured.

I wonder how Brook will rescue them though.
Old 2016-11-17, 21:55   Link #14
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by imza View Post
Regarding Sanji though, it’s almost maddening that this was his strategy. Asides from being cheesy and already done by Robin, Sanji has to be dumbest person on the planet to think this plan would go off well with Luffy. After spending so much time with the crew, does he really think Luffy would give up on him?
Ya that's probably the part that bugs me the most. Sanji should know that Luffy is far too stubborn to give up on him. Robin atleast had the excuse that she hadn't been with the crew as long and thus thought she really could just cut ties with them and they would move on without her. Sanji has been with them from the beginning and has been through enies lobby where he could see first hand just how far Luffy will go to get back a crew member.

I really would have preferred a scenario where Sanji finds a way to secretly tell Luffy of his predicament (namely he is under threat). He either then tries to keep figuring out for himself how to get out(though Luffy and Nami will help anyway), or he instead decides to trust Luffy and Nami to find a way to help him since he is now in over his head. It would have shown Sanji's better understanding of his friends... and instead of giving up like Robin did, it shows Sanji being a bit more proactive in getting them all out of this mess
Old 2016-11-17, 22:49   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Now, as far as Brooke and Pedro go.... I know this is an extremely long shot, but I think it would be awesome if Brooke took on Smoothie. Again, I know the chances are quite low, but it would still be pretty awesome if he had some sort of surprise advantage against her. Well, I guess he kinda does have one already since he's nothing but bone (so she can't wring any juice out of him, heh ).
I'm thinking that Brooke's opponent will be Tamago actually. Besides them both having cane weapons, they're quite similar in other regards as well. Tamago is someone I can see Brooke beating and it would be believable.

Even if Brooke does have said advantage you described over Smoothie, she should be able to overwhelm our skeleton friend through other means quite easily. How she'll be dealt with is something to think about though.

And given her bounty of 932 million, I'm calling right now that Katakuri will be over 1 billion .
Old 2016-11-18, 00:42   Link #16
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
As I read it, the thirty is just a guess and it could be as well even more (or less).

I wonder how everyone compares this to Enies Lobby. There is some similarity in the general topic (but how couldn't), but the details are almost exactly the opposite.
Robin didn't want to stay, while Sanji seems like he has accepted this fate.
In Enies Lobby Luffy went through the armies of marines like they weren't even there, while here he was actually defeated (even though he still refuses to leave his spot).
However I'm eager to see how it will go on. I hope there won't be too much breaks in the story, until this Arc is finished.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-18, 01:24   Link #17
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I'm thinking that Brooke's opponent will be Tamago actually. Besides them both having cane weapons, they're quite similar in other regards as well. Tamago is someone I can see Brooke beating and it would be believable.

Even if Brooke does have said advantage you described over Smoothie, she should be able to overwhelm our skeleton friend through other means quite easily. How she'll be dealt with is something to think about though.

And given her bounty of 932 million, I'm calling right now that Katakuri will be over 1 billion .
He can freeze her if he want to but it will be his trump card. Smoothie could concentrate on Pedro rather than Brook for this case since Pedro was more wanted than Brook itself on Whole Cake Island.

However things just turn for the worse itself as we don't know several things.

1. Where they could take Nami and Luffy since both are captured now.
2. Who will guard Thousand Sunny? We know Thousand Sunny was vacant now.
Old 2016-11-18, 02:43   Link #18
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
People criticise Sanji for how he tried to get his crew off the island, but how would you have done it? Luffy would not have taken "please leave me here" for an answer, plus he needed to convince the Vinsmokes that he was done resisting for Zeff's sake. Yeah, he should have known better than to think his strategy would work, but maybe he did. It was his best shot.

First of all, Sanji left on different pretenses than Robin did. He didn't say "we'll never see each other again." He said "I'll brb, gotta see this chick real quick." On that note, he did not expect them to come after him in the first place. But now that they're here and now that Luffy's already worn out anyway, in the middle of enemy territory, he needed to make them leave before it was too late, and that was the best possible solution he was able to think of. Plus, one of the reasons he wants them to leave is for Zeff's sake. If Sanji can't convince Big Mom and Judge that he's on their "site" now, his old man is in trouble. And he can't do that with the strawhats around. If Zeff wasn't a factor, he'd come with them.
Old 2016-11-18, 04:00   Link #19
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Please don't forget that Enies Lobby is actually one of best arc in One Piece

Oda just tried to re-produce the arc, by taking one yonkou and changing the lead of the arc from Robin to Sanji
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-18, 06:49   Link #20
noktown

I'm getting annoyed at this point, are we getting another "I'll protect everyone" time skip after this arc or what ? Cuz Luffy just got rekt real hard and couldn't protect shit. The gap can't be this big between Luffy and Mom's crew, not even the Emperor herself just her crew...
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote