AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

View Poll Results: Does japanese rap sound like french rap, and if so, why?
No, wtf ru thinking? 12 41.38%
Yes, because of the bad english. 7 24.14%
Yes, because of the japanese influences in french pop culture. 2 6.90%
Yes, because of the french influences in Japanese pop culture. 1 3.45%
Yes, because...... 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-06-02, 07:36   Link #1
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Why does japanese rap sound that much like french rap?

Just a small poll, so, do you think it is similar, and if you do why?
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 10:54   Link #2
j1m0ne

the thought never even crossed my mind. J-rap sounds to me, like a hybrid of chanting monks and cicadas. I don't listen to a lot of french rap unfortunately, so I can't really compare; but Chinese rap does sound a lot like J-rap though.
Old 2004-06-02, 11:10   Link #3
Izzy
Corrupted

*looks at the choices*

hmm......I never heard any French rap...so I have no idea...........
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 14:09   Link #4
Mad_Baka

Send a message via AIM to Mad_Baka
Nah J-rap sounds like spanish rap to me
i think they sound a like cuz they slur their words together to get them to rhyme
Mad_Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 16:13   Link #5
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

hip hop and rap MCs should just stay in the united states, canada (except quebec, cuz their rap sucks too), and sweden (Loop Troop!!)... this is not meant to be disrespectful to other countries... but it just doesn't work with foreign accents... for example, I have heard british rap like Task Force, french rap from quebec and Korean rap like YG Family... and they suck!

however... DJ's and producers can be universal/worldwide not MCs...
Old 2004-06-03, 11:45   Link #6
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Japanese culture tends to COPYCAT romance language cultures (spanish, french,Italian) they take the lyrics from us and transform it into japanese

I believe japanese culture lacks imagination, but its ok we are proud that they show our cultures in their anime and soundtracks
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 11:50   Link #7
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

it sounds like french rap? maybe it is just bad rap. There are all kinds of ways to rap, a while ago french rap was pretty much crap but they've gotten much closer to english rap because they have been doing it for a while (at least the canadian french rappers I've heard). It just takes time to imitate english rap, maybe that's why everyone else is saying it's like spanish rap or whatever unmatured foreign language rap.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 12:33   Link #8
Airnest

IMO rap done in other langauge doesn't sound so good. Only english rap seems good.

IMO In contrast to rap, rock is more universal and trancends languages.

IMO J-Rock and J-RnB is good though but definetly not J-Rap or rap done in any other language except for English.
Airnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 18:43   Link #9
Mad_Baka

Send a message via AIM to Mad_Baka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airnest
IMO rap done in other langauge doesn't sound so good. Only english rap seems good.

IMO In contrast to rap, rock is more universal and trancends languages.

IMO J-Rock and J-RnB is good though but definetly not J-Rap or rap done in any other language except for English.

yeah i see your point Rap doesn't sound good in other Languges at all but..
J-RnB hmm..never heard any
(starts to google for artist)
Mad_Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 02:40   Link #10
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Baka
yeah i see your point Rap doesn't sound good in other Languges at all but..
J-RnB hmm..never heard any
(starts to google for artist)
Isn't BoA J-RnB?
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 13:49   Link #11
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
The reason why rap that isn't english sounds bad to me is because they imatate english. Part of the challenge of rap is getting the rhythm of the words to match the music. Because each language's rhythm is unique, they shouldn't try and imatate each other.

But rap is the hottest thing right now, so of course there are going to be clone groups and stars everywhere. Once the joyride is over, the groups will be either gone or switched to the next popular style.
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 14:46   Link #12
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
hip hop and rap MCs should just stay in the united states, canada (except quebec, cuz their rap sucks too), and sweden (Loop Troop!!)... this is not meant to be disrespectful to other countries... but it just doesn't work with foreign accents... for example, I have heard british rap like Task Force, french rap from quebec and Korean rap like YG Family... and they suck!

I´ve seen alot of weird stuff on the AS boards but never a Canadian who has heard about Loop Troop :P

But I do agree with Prince of Chronics, there are very few countries around the world who should be allowed to rap.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 14:38   Link #13
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
i do hear english raps but other languages sounds like chanting the sutra to me...(no offence)
btw..Izzy..is your avatar a character from a japanese avg called After...
Angela Sanctisstessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 16:28   Link #14
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BME
I´ve seen alot of weird stuff on the AS boards but never a Canadian who has heard about Loop Troop :P
I try to stay open to as much music as possible... and I heard of Loop Troop cuz they did a couple tracks with The Arsonists... I checked them out... and they were alright... they didn't have any noticeable accents when they were mc'ing ... and their flow and content are good too... my favorite tracks by them are Modern Day City Symphony and Focus...
Old 2004-06-10, 16:47   Link #15
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:

lol.. sorry but I must disagree There is a whole industy in europe for french rap! A market as valuable as the US's. I'm from Quebec and our hip hop rules! SP a local idol as just been sign by Warner Broders's studio for sound an videos. Yes he will eventualy sing in english more then french as he hit the american fans ^^ I think you only like US rap cause you have no idea what French rapers are talkin about. Well I will tell you this: there power is the lyrics. They play with words in a way no one can, as for the diffrence between Europe and Quebec yes quebec rap is much more americanised and using french slang all the times. Europe rap is waaaay more poetic ^^ As the group Street Poets. It also is a much more cleaner rap cause it integrates very little slang in there songs and the language itself is cleaner in the way you understand it easily. I agree it doesn't flash as much as american rap but the quality is elsewhere.

As for Japanese rap I think it is quite good but no it doesn't sound like French rap. Maybe some syllable does but the flow is so diffrent that it cannot be compared at all. I agree with Mad_Baka it sounds more like spanish but then again.. its style is particular as every others.
Old 2004-06-10, 16:52   Link #16
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

alright... I can see your point... it's quite obvious that I can't speak or understand french... so I wouldn't be able to consider their word play and their content... but I judged them on beats... they used to air a show on MuchMusic called French Kiss and they would sometimes play hiphop artists from France and Quebec... not too many groups or artists really impressed me... but understandbly, it could be cuz I can't understand what they are saying...

the last french hiphop artist I heard was this cat called Mic Check cuz he was featured on one of DL Incongnito's tracks... imo... he ruined the track...
Old 2004-06-10, 19:43   Link #17
<..J@NKi..>NL.FanSub
naruto freak

Send a message via MSN to <..J@NKi..>NL.FanSub
Where can i get that Japanese rap music from??

Never heard Japenese rap before...

Well im a little bit curious...

Can someone tell me where i can download/buy / Japanese rap

THNX!
<..J@NKi..>NL.FanSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 21:47   Link #18
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
the last french hiphop artist I heard was this cat called Mic Check cuz he was featured on one of DL Incongnito's tracks... imo... he ruined the track...
The good thing is, I never heard of him. Probably a nobody.
If you haven't totaly lost hope look for Sans Pression or 83 on Kazaa for good french beats ^^
Old 2004-06-10, 23:50   Link #19
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
I disagree, it doesn't exactly sound like french rap. Their is a slight similarity however not as great as you make it seem, and Japanese rap has alot more complexity to it.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 08:38   Link #20
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
juz hear hatsumei boy kanipan first ED...my...my tounge is twisted
Angela Sanctisstessa is offline   Reply With Quote