AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-04-12, 01:11   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 862 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's business as usual! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the spoiler:

-Chapter title is "Intellectual Type". Splash features the younger Buggy and Shanks on Roger's ship.

-Jinbei tries to wake up Luffy, but the young pirate shows no signs of stirring. Meanwhile, at the venue, a large wedding cake is brought out. At the same time, the ministers start to surround the Vinsmokes. Reiju notices this, and quietly accepts her fate. Soon, Luffy finally awakens and heads out for the venue, where the ceremony has just started. Back at the venue, Charlotte Katakuri gets a brief glimpse of the future that confuses him: A Pudding who breaks down crying....

-At the altar, Pudding reveals her third eye to Sanji, who honestly tells her it's beautiful. THIS is what makes her break down. We then find out in a flashback that she was often bullied and ridiculed for her third eye. It even disturbed Big Mom, so as a result she began hiding her extra eye with her bangs. This childhood trauma is what gave birth to her twisted personality....

-Back in the present, Big Mom sees that Pudding is hesitant to shoot, so she signals for the priest to shoot Sanji instead. However, Katakuri sees through his foresight that Sanji dodges the priest's shot, so he takes matters to his own hands and shoots the cook instead. However, Sanji just barely avoids this shot, as well! Incidentally, Katakuri's shot turns out to be the signal for Luffy to make his grand entry to the wedding ceremony, and what an entry it is, as countless Luffys start leaping out of the wedding cake....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-04-13 at 15:07.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 04:45   Link #2
danielevo

Best chapter, but short story ><
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 07:28   Link #3
WyrdMonger

I always thought Luffy wound simply smash the cake, causing Big Mom to slowly enter super rage mode.
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 11:33   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'll do the honors: Pudding for nakama!

I really didn't see her break down coming. She seemed rotten to the core. Damn it Sanji, you did it, bro!
Old 2017-04-12, 16:56   Link #5
necrolyte

I was pretty much expecting things to turn out like that but WTF is this entrance of Luffy's Is this finally some form of his abillity's awakening or it is actually someone else's ability, like Nami for example ?
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 18:53   Link #6
WyrdMonger

More like using Brulee's mirror clone ability.
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 20:37   Link #7
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Or Luffy using Ninjutsu. Pointers from Raizou.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 21:15   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Either Nami or Brulee do it but my bet goes to Nami that do Fatamorgana to perform it.

I see that coming for Pudding anyway.. Sometimes real heart can't resist the act that she made just like how Kayano from Assassination Classroom can't hide her feelings for Nagisa even her act proves useless against him, Nakamura and Karma because of that.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 22:31   Link #9
coded321
He Who Games

Honestly, the way Sanji won over pudding kinda feels like a cop out. at least with violet, he willingly took both a beating from her and her gang and a mind reading to win her over. based on the spoiler, it only took sanji one line to win pudding over.

Last edited by coded321; 2017-04-12 at 22:52.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 01:44   Link #10
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I wonder what did Shanks do to Buggy this time on Chapter Cover?

Jinbe doesn't know how to wake Luffy.. Only Nami know how XD
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 03:06   Link #11
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Bege must be smirk a lot for this outcome.
Who whould expect Luffy kagebunshin no jutsu will crash the party.
Now with this distraction he has great opportunity to sneak and deliver mom that "blow".
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 05:30   Link #12
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Pudding confirmed as the Ultimate Tsundere.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 09:50   Link #13
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, not sure if I love or hate the Pudding move. Initially I was hoping there was some inner conflict. But here it just feels too rushed. One compliment and suddenly we are swerving into a brief flashback and she's having an emotional breakdown? Seems a bit iffy.

Not sure where they go with that. But let's see how the rest of the chaotic situation unfolds. And yeah just a moment where I randomly remembered that Sanji has that detection haki .

Time for Luffy to cause some chaos.
Old 2017-04-13, 10:30   Link #14
grecefar

I think it was too easy to turn pudding just because sanji likes her third eye, well it was funny at least lol.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 11:08   Link #15
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wonder if Sanji meant it or if it was a ploy, he's already seen her third eye before.
Old 2017-04-13, 12:26   Link #16
Hoodspirit

Sanji dodging Katakuri was the highlight of the chapter.
However it is too early to say whether it was because of Katakuri having some form of cooldown timer on the future view, he can't see the outcome of his own actions before doing them, he didn't bother to check his own result, or Sanji simply has good enough reflexes to dodge at that speed/distance.

I don't think Pudding 'turned' yet. Yes she broke down (for us it is a small backflash, but for the Pudding it has been more than a decade of living with this kind of mobbing [don't know how old she is] so I don't mind it), but she still said that she needs to kill Sanji. For the moment she is at least unable to do anything.
What's more important about this scene is that she has been treated badly by big mom as well and not being really happy.
Now we have Lola who ran away, her sister that doesn't mind BM dying, same for Praline, then we have Opera who lied at the minister conference.
Once BM shows signs of weakness, there could be many more who can at least become inactive if not even switchting sides.
Most of the children have rotten personalities (scene with Anana) so they could rebel anytime, be moved by Sanji's nature of kindness or by a freedom speech from Luffy about to do whatever one wants.
There will be probably more to Pudding's backstory. We only have seen her ability once on Reiju yet. It is pretty safe to say we will see it being used in a flashback too at some point with a huge impact.
I have the feeling that our judgment on Judge will soften too soon. There are backdoors for that in the story already at least. Depends on Oda to use them or not.

I'm not really seeing why they used the mirror on everyone to become Luffy. Yes, it's surely a surprise, but they were talking earlier about how being the decoy meant certain death. It's not like chopper/nami/Bege's crew have Luffy's strength/agility now do they? Brűlče did match Luffy in the seducing woods, but he didn't went all out and she mirrored him to the point of saying the same words and thus nearly revealing her true identy, when Luffy ran in the opposite direction, rendering reflexes pointless. No info on strength mirroring though.

This arc is definitly my favourite from those after the time skip. We're so close to the climax and still everything can happen. Characters, who have not seen much spotlight in the New World, already shone and the outlook on Brook and Nami being ideal for BM is thrilling. Sanji most likely gets to fight a 1billion guy too for showcasing his Haki development. I'm pleased so far and excited about the next chapters. [The Luffy/Nami scenes this arc were cute too]
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 13:04   Link #17
Wandering Soul

Why the heck would Big Mom have a problem with a third eye? She found Brook cute, wants to have a member of every race eat with her, and her island has a pretty diverse number of races. Why is a third eye what she considers creepy?
Old 2017-04-13, 13:20   Link #18
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Why the heck would Big Mom have a problem with a third eye? She found Brook cute, wants to have a member of every race eat with her, and her island has a pretty diverse number of races. Why is a third eye what she considers creepy?
We don't know much about the three-eyed tribe's social standing. Maybe they are feared for what the third eye can possibly see inside other people, and thus other people hate to be watched at by it.
It doesn't have to be an aesthetic reason why BM didn't like it out in the open.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2017-04-14 at 05:20.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 15:22   Link #19
marvelB

Yeah, I'm also thinking that Big Mom herself wasn't actually much grossed out by the third eye (her offspring are an assortment of all kinds of freaks after all), but rather was more concerned about keeping a decent image of her family (at least, as decent as her standards are concerned). Sort of like the equivalent of parents forcing their left-handed kids to use their right hand to make them conform to the social "norms", so to speak. At least, that's my take on it....

Anyway, time for all hell to break loose! I'm still hoping that Sanji kicks his family's (minus Reiju's) asses despite him rescuing them, but at the same time I kinda want to see him take on Katakuri. But I wonder how well he'd fare against the commander considering how much trouble Doflamingo (an opponent of a similar level) gave him at Dressrosa. But then again, Katakuri really seems to be a marksman-type of opponent, so maybe he's a somewhat more "compatible" type of opponent for Sanji, perhaps....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 23:11   Link #20
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Sanji will finally awaken his Perverted Haki, enabling him to see the future of any female that will get h- gurk *nosebleed*