AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-05-04, 16:12   Link #1
mend1

Question Could you please...?

Hi everyone!

I dont have a lot of experience in the world of anime, since I've started watching anime regularly 2 years ago. I liked this world too much, so I want to ask to the old ones on this forum for reccomendations.

I like all sort of genres but I prefer Slice of Life, Romance, Drama, Harem, Supernatural, School, Comedy, Ecchi... just to put into situation a little bit.
(I dont focus only on these ones, as I said I just like them, it should be at least one of them into your reccomendation)

Thank you for you time and add me to the friend list to talk about anime if you like this type of animes that I listed
mend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-05, 14:25   Link #2
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by mend1 View Post
Hi everyone!

I dont have a lot of experience in the world of anime, since I've started watching anime regularly 2 years ago. I liked this world too much, so I want to ask to the old ones on this forum for reccomendations.

I like all sort of genres but I prefer Slice of Life, Romance, Drama, Harem, Supernatural, School, Comedy, Ecchi... just to put into situation a little bit.
(I dont focus only on these ones, as I said I just like them, it should be at least one of them into your reccomendation)

Thank you for you time and add me to the friend list to talk about anime if you like this type of animes that I listed
Well, I'd start with Angel Beats, a great series with some crazy comedy and drama. A guy suddenly wakes up with no memory in a strange high school, which he soon learns is a sort of purgatory. Since everyone's already died any wounds heal after just a little while (even if you're literally cut into small pieces). Everyone who's there has some sort of messed up story that left them feeling like their life was a bad punchline to a truly sadistic joke, and most of them have joined forces fighting their presumed enemy. But actually there's a real reason why everyone's here. If you don't cry at the conclusion of episode 10 you're not human, and if you don't cry at the very end then there's no hope for you.

Haibane Renmei is also really touching and has a similar air to Angel Beats. The heroine wakes up with no memory in a small, rustic village. She's given a halo with great ceremony and shortly afterward sprouts wings that are a charcoal gray, in between black and white. The art and music in this series is beautiful and the characters are really touching.

For art, I'd also recommend Sound of the Sky (So Ra No Wo To). Beautiful art and style, awesome music, and just a great atmosphere that shows the dedication given to it.

You should definitely check out some of CLAMP's works. I particularly recommend Cardcaptor Sakura (though the best translation, done by Geneon, is no longer available), Angelic Layer, Chobits, and in particular Magic Knight Rayearth. Rayearth is really something else. It's full of ups and downs and surprises.

For ecchi, I might recommend either Sekirei or Strike Witches. Both have surprising plot. Sekirei sets up a strange battle going on within a sealed city, where people known as "ashikabi" kiss sekirei to bond with them, after which they become dedicated to them and fight for them, with the ultimate goal of only one sekirei being left to ascend to the heavens with her ashikabi and have a single wish granted. Strike Witches has an alien invasion immediately before WWII could start. Forces are desperately fighting against these invaders, but their technology just isn't enough. So they start relying on witches, girls under 20 who use magical powers and magic-operated propellers that fit over their legs to fly and fight. These propellers can't work if the pilot's wearing anything thicker than hose over her legs, so the standard policy is for all the girls to forget there was ever such a thing as "pants". This actually became the standard dress code for ALL girls under 20.

Don't know if others recommend it, but I for one am a big fan of Fractale. Set in a future world where people generally just stay home and interact through avatars, often not even bothering to live in the same house as their family and just interacting with one another through their avatars, the hero who refuses to do such things winds up saving a girl that pretty much everyone's after, a girl with a very mysterious and painful backstory.

Last Exile is also a must-see. It's set in a mysterious world of steam-punk where the divide between the rich and the poor is huge. The heroes wind up working with a pirate and helping to try and find the mysterious "Exile".

Scrapped Princess as well. A young brother and sister are wandering the land with their foster-sister. They can never stay long in any one place though, because of just who said foster sister is. Every year a set of "oracles" receive divine prophecies from their god Mauser, prophecies which are never wrong. Fifteen and a half years ago, the oracles declared that of the twins the queen was about to bear, the daughter had to be killed because on her sixteenth birthday she would bring absolute devastation to the entire world. Pacifica is that daughter, the princess thought killed who's going to turn sixteen in a few months, unless the church that basically controls the world stops them. There's a lot of secrets to be uncovered and things aren't necessarily what they seem.

This is just a small (seriously, small) selection among items I could recommend.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-06, 13:37   Link #3
mashingan
魔神眼

I'll add based on your preference (comedy school slice of life):
Noucome (Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy o Zenryoku Jama Shiteru) [wikipedia]
Slice of life, Comedy, Harem, I guarantee you'll laugh at your heart content

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [wikipedia]
The story about few people who awakened their supernatural ability, though it became a new way to play among them.

Musaigen no Phantom World [wikipedia]
Slice of life about people who awakened supernatural ability (too), the difference from above, many other people are ability user too, and those student fight against phantom creatures.

Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru [wikipedia]
Slice of life about strange members of Art Club, comedy

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun [wikipedia]
School slice of life about heroine who has crush a guy, which that guy actually a mangaka of popular shoujo manga series, and due to misunderstanding she works as his assistant, comedy, very recommended

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou [wikipedia]
School slice of life about all male school. This story about the antics of male high school students. Comedy, very recommended

Nichijou [wikipedia]
School slice of life about bizarre 3 students and other characters, bizarre because it's actually ridiculously funny (imagine a student comes to school by riding a goat ), the story usually segmented in each episode. Comedy, very recommended.

Sakigake! Cromartie High School [wikipedia]
School slice of life about a proper student who attend a school with full of delinquents. Beware you'll find robot, gorilla, and Freddy Mercury there
Comedy, very recommended

My preference:
Zegapain [wikipedia]
Story about human existence, heavily referencing technology from quantum physics. The main lead fights with robot equipped with armor of light while trapped in quantum server.
To be honest, I think this infinitely better than Evangelion and its reboot movies, bonus, this anime also the first time Hanazawa Kana became a seiyuu

I'll edit if I remember more.
mashingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 06:50   Link #4
mend1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Well, I'd start with Angel Beats, a great series with some crazy comedy and drama. A guy suddenly wakes up with no memory in a strange high school, which he soon learns is a sort of purgatory. Since everyone's already died any wounds heal after just a little while (even if you're literally cut into small pieces). Everyone who's there has some sort of messed up story that left them feeling like their life was a bad punchline to a truly sadistic joke, and most of them have joined forces fighting their presumed enemy. But actually there's a real reason why everyone's here. If you don't cry at the conclusion of episode 10 you're not human, and if you don't cry at the very end then there's no hope for you.

Haibane Renmei is also really touching and has a similar air to Angel Beats. The heroine wakes up with no memory in a small, rustic village. She's given a halo with great ceremony and shortly afterward sprouts wings that are a charcoal gray, in between black and white. The art and music in this series is beautiful and the characters are really touching.

For art, I'd also recommend Sound of the Sky (So Ra No Wo To). Beautiful art and style, awesome music, and just a great atmosphere that shows the dedication given to it.

You should definitely check out some of CLAMP's works. I particularly recommend Cardcaptor Sakura (though the best translation, done by Geneon, is no longer available), Angelic Layer, Chobits, and in particular Magic Knight Rayearth. Rayearth is really something else. It's full of ups and downs and surprises.

For ecchi, I might recommend either Sekirei or Strike Witches. Both have surprising plot. Sekirei sets up a strange battle going on within a sealed city, where people known as "ashikabi" kiss sekirei to bond with them, after which they become dedicated to them and fight for them, with the ultimate goal of only one sekirei being left to ascend to the heavens with her ashikabi and have a single wish granted. Strike Witches has an alien invasion immediately before WWII could start. Forces are desperately fighting against these invaders, but their technology just isn't enough. So they start relying on witches, girls under 20 who use magical powers and magic-operated propellers that fit over their legs to fly and fight. These propellers can't work if the pilot's wearing anything thicker than hose over her legs, so the standard policy is for all the girls to forget there was ever such a thing as "pants". This actually became the standard dress code for ALL girls under 20.

Don't know if others recommend it, but I for one am a big fan of Fractale. Set in a future world where people generally just stay home and interact through avatars, often not even bothering to live in the same house as their family and just interacting with one another through their avatars, the hero who refuses to do such things winds up saving a girl that pretty much everyone's after, a girl with a very mysterious and painful backstory.

Last Exile is also a must-see. It's set in a mysterious world of steam-punk where the divide between the rich and the poor is huge. The heroes wind up working with a pirate and helping to try and find the mysterious "Exile".

Scrapped Princess as well. A young brother and sister are wandering the land with their foster-sister. They can never stay long in any one place though, because of just who said foster sister is. Every year a set of "oracles" receive divine prophecies from their god Mauser, prophecies which are never wrong. Fifteen and a half years ago, the oracles declared that of the twins the queen was about to bear, the daughter had to be killed because on her sixteenth birthday she would bring absolute devastation to the entire world. Pacifica is that daughter, the princess thought killed who's going to turn sixteen in a few months, unless the church that basically controls the world stops them. There's a lot of secrets to be uncovered and things aren't necessarily what they seem.

This is just a small (seriously, small) selection among items I could recommend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashingan View Post
I'll add based on your preference (comedy school slice of life):
Noucome (Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy o Zenryoku Jama Shiteru) [wikipedia]
Slice of life, Comedy, Harem, I guarantee you'll laugh at your heart content

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [wikipedia]
The story about few people who awakened their supernatural ability, though it became a new way to play among them.

Musaigen no Phantom World [wikipedia]
Slice of life about people who awakened supernatural ability (too), the difference from above, many other people are ability user too, and those student fight against phantom creatures.

Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru [wikipedia]
Slice of life about strange members of Art Club, comedy

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun [wikipedia]
School slice of life about heroine who has crush a guy, which that guy actually a mangaka of popular shoujo manga series, and due to misunderstanding she works as his assistant, comedy, very recommended

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou [wikipedia]
School slice of life about all male school. This story about the antics of male high school students. Comedy, very recommended

Nichijou [wikipedia]
School slice of life about bizarre 3 students and other characters, bizarre because it's actually ridiculously funny (imagine a student comes to school by riding a goat ), the story usually segmented in each episode. Comedy, very recommended.

Sakigake! Cromartie High School [wikipedia]
School slice of life about a proper student who attend a school with full of delinquents. Beware you'll find robot, gorilla, and Freddy Mercury there
Comedy, very recommended

My preference:
Zegapain [wikipedia]
Story about human existence, heavily referencing technology from quantum physics. The main lead fights with robot equipped with armor of light while trapped in quantum server.
To be honest, I think this infinitely better than Evangelion and its reboot movies, bonus, this anime also the first time Hanazawa Kana became a seiyuu

I'll edit if I remember more.
So much thanks, I really appreciate your reccomendations. Finishing reading everything, I can say that I will watch or check at least ALL OF THEM, except for Angel Beats!, Noucome and Kono Bijutsubu.

Thank you again and I will add you both to keep talking about this genre if you want to, and I will send you both feedback when I finish watching some series
Old 2017-05-07, 20:54   Link #5
SarahEm1234
Oops

Ouran Highschool Host Club - Light , Comedic, Romance.
Special A- Romance, Comedy, School; Kind of Cliche, but entertaining
Old 2017-05-08, 08:36   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

School Rumble gets less attention these days, but I'll add it to your list.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 14:19   Link #7
mend1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahEm1234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
School Rumble gets less attention these days, but I'll add it to your list.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I think I will check Ouran highschool and Special A, but I think I won't like School Rumble because of the type of drawing. Thank you both and I add you for talking about more anime!
Old 2017-05-21, 17:15   Link #8
kitten320

You've already got a big list but gonna add some more

Love Hina - I would strongly recommend manga in this case, it has far more character exposure and development. It's a harem/romance/comedy. Real fun.

All of Key works really, such like Air, Angel Beats, Clannad, Kanon 2006 and Little Busters. LB were my least fave though but all of them are a mix of things you seem to like.

Akatsuki no Yona is set in samurai era but it has romance elements, comedy, adventure and etc. Nothing too heavy, could be to your liking.

Amagi Brilliant Park - nice, fun comedy with some romance elements.

Ano Hana is similar to key work so if you'll like those, this is the next thing to check.

Ao Haru Ride - romance, slice of life.

Aria The Animation - really relaxing slice of life series. Liked it more with every season.

Bakuman is about manga industry, has romance, comedy, drama. Just a good nice mix.

Shirobako is about anime industry. Still watching myself. I like it, it's slice of life type of series with some comedy and light drama.

Chihayafuru is sport series about card game karuta but it is really nice with romance elements, comedy, drama and slice of life. Real fun, really insist on checking it out.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - romance, slice of life, comedy about character who pretend to have super powers so you get action scenes that are only part of their imagination. Prety fun, nice animation.

ef: A Tale of Memories - romance/drama with really nice animation. Personally preferred season 2 though.

GTO is a classic. It's about a teacher who has orthodox ways of dealing with students problems that wary from bullying to family problems and etc. Real fun with a mix of drama. Anime id good but does not cover everything so you could check out manga after.

Hanasaku Iroha is a slice of life based in a traditional inn/hotel and follows the life of people who work there. Has some romance elements. Liked it quiet a lot, lovable cast.

Hotarubi no Mori e is a short movie a bout a girl who met a spirit while visiting relatives. Story follows their relationship. Quiet bittersweet.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai is a unique type of hare/romance/comedy series that follow Keima, a professional dating sim gamer. He hates real world but unfortunately for him he gets involved with a cute demon Elsie who signs a contract with him. Now he has to date girls in real life to banish evil spirits inside of them. If he refuses, he will die.

Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko: Everything Flows
- mini slice of life series about a cat and his life with his owner. If you love cats, it'll hit yah hard.

Keijo!!!!!!!! - is an eechi sport series about a made up sport. I don't like ecchi stuff but I ended up really liking it. It is fun.

Kimi no Na wa - a film about a boy and girl who one day woke up in each others bodies. They never ever met before.

Kokoro Connect - about a group of friends that one day wake up in each others bodies and all their darkest secrets start to come out one after another. But it does not end there, body swapping was just a beginning. A nice mix of romance, comedy and drama.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? - a fun harem/action/romance type of series.

Lovely Complex - romance comedy about a short guy and tall girl who are good friends but eventually things start to change between them.

Mayo Chiki - harem/romance/comedy... I really liked it.

White Album 2 - it is not related to the first one. It's a love drama but a really good one. Haven't seen many dramas handled well but this is one of them.

Honestly this list can keep going on so for now I'll leave it here. Let me know if you want more.
Old 2017-05-22, 16:26   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mend1 View Post
Hi everyone!

Well I'll give you a list, but here are a couple I think you would really like:

Ranma 1/2 an older classic, the animation quality did suffer a bit in the middle, but animation quality eventually improved with the last season having some quite beautiful scenes. The genres are most of what you want. Romance, Harem, Supernatural, Comedy, etc. A slapstick, martial arts and crafts, low fantasy, with unwanted harem, and love dechohedrens of unrequited love. One of Takahashi's classics. 2nd season is the strongest, so make sure you at least watch that far.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya One of the big "modern" anime, a genre buster that has since spawned it's own genre. Slice of Life, Romance, Drama, Harem, Supernatural, School, Comedy, just about everything you want.

Now for a list of all my top rated animes that also match at least one of your genres:

Maison Ikkoku The greatest romance anime ever. Start is a bit slow, but an amazing ending. Heavily referenced by other anime.

Cross Game
One of Adachi's masterpieces.

Bunny Drop (aka Usagi Drop) A sweet little slice of life.

Honey and Clover a painful romance.

Ah My Goddess a supernatural romance

Full Metal Panic a slapstick, comedy, drama, action adventure, romance. A mercenary company has a need to protect a high school girl, fortunately they have a child soldier orphan who is just the right age to go undercover and be her bodyguard. Too bad he has no idea how to live a normal civilian life. Hilarity ensues.

Whisper of the Heart
a Ghibli film

Lucky Star Comedy and school life. Don't watch until after watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun A comedy with a small bit of romance. A shoujo heroine, trapped a shounen world. (Note some people have said that they feel the dub is required to get the timing right for the jokes, though I actually prefer the sub.)

The World God Only Knows A geek who specializes in capturing the hearts of women (in games) is forced to apply his skills in real life. Since he does not like real women, but prefers fantasy, this is not a good thing.

Chrono Crusade the original "Nun with a gun" anime, a young nun hunts demons in 1920s New York.

Clannad and Clannad: After Story a story of comedy, romance, and drama.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-23, 07:05   Link #10
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahEm1234 View Post
You forgot to insert Kaichou wa Maid-sama! between these two

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote