AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-05-14, 20:39   Link #1
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

What do you think of insert themes

You know, I've been thinking about insert themes in anime series ever since I watched "Your Name." While I really enjoyed the movie, it kind of bothered me how it often used insert songs.

I mean, I like insert songs like the ones Scryed, Gundam SEED or 00. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood uses the opening song as an insert song in one of the final episodes. However, there are other series that almost avoid using music for key scenes like
Spoiler for some important shonen scenes like:

Then I have been annoyed by some of the use of insert songs like in .hack//Roots where almost nothing happens and Ali Project plays something that sounds intense.

What do you guys think? Would some anime be better without insert themes?
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-14, 20:43   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
That's a tough question, especially since I am among those for whom the audio aspect of the anime medium tends to matter to me quite a bit.

Still, I would have to reply that "some anime would be better off with poorly done insert songs" ... a well done insert song can bring the material being presented to a whole different level in my opinion.
Old 2017-05-14, 22:55   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Generally speaking, an insert song is the flag on top of the Everest of the puppet master manipulating the viewer without anyone being wiser to the strings. When an insert song or BGM feels forced, it's usually because the manipulation wasn't subtle enough and thus hadn't earned the right for the cherry on top. Now depending on how often music is used, the art of silence can be powerful in a land of instruments while numbers can accentuate moments in a quieter tale (there's an area between all this, but I didn't need to clarify that for anyone, did I?)

There were more times than I can remember where music shouldn't have been in a scene, but I'd rather have a story use the art of silence and fail than a show using music and falling flat, because at least the first scenario doesn't illicit the sense the staff is going "cry now"

Credit to Jun Maeda for being an exception to the above, though even he can't put up enough smoke and mirrors to hide the man behind the curtain at times (see: Charlotte)
Spoiler for Naruto: Shippuden:
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-14, 22:55   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that insert songs/themes are fine, and sometimes even good, if used sparingly.

I think the key with an insert song/theme is that when it's used, it should feel special, helping to highlight the importance and/or value of the scene(s) the song is being used for. Also, insert songs/themes can't take the place of good standard BGM. They can add some spice to it, but ultimately, you want some good fitting standard BGM tracks. ("standard" might not be the best word to use here, but hopefully it conveys the idea I'm getting at)

Just my personal take on this thread topic.
Old 2017-05-14, 23:22   Link #5
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
A lot of them are great and is something I enjoy in particular towards anime. Especially if the main theme song gets used in a good way. One needs to really stay away from overuse though. (Sup Aldnoah Zero)

Mai-HiME had some really memorable ones.

Also Nana Mizuki singing tends to be a +2, of course that depends heavily on subject matter.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-15, 03:26   Link #6
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
... a well done insert song can bring the material being presented to a whole different level in my opinion.
I fully agree with this. To me it can change the experience completely, luckily it works only for the better, I won't get affected by music otherwise, well generally at least.

I already said this many times, but lately the show that worked better in this aspect was Grimgar. I think that the music (as much as the absence of it) did resonate with me. Of course being (relatively at least) subjective that explains why it didn't get across to everyone, it relied a lot on that aspect, too much for its own good.

In any case I'll cherish those shows no matter what and how much time passed (Blade Runner is one for all). I still remember Guilty Crown for its awesome OST for example. As of late Aldnoah Zero did a great job (of course it's subjective, but I wouldn't say it was overused) and another great one in my book of course is Nana.

Ahh, Mai-Hime, I just remembered how I loved Mezame. Now I will listen to it the whole day

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-15, 04:43   Link #7
Seihai
スマイリウム

I'm not the biggest fan of using the OP theme as one unless the OP theme itself is a really good song to listen to (and obviously fits the situation at hand). The scene should feel unique in a way and imo using the OP for that purpose has a lower chance of impressing me because I'm already used to the sound. I do understand that creating a specific song just for one or a couple scenes means more effort/budget though when it happens.

That said, I mostly like insert songs that aren't the OP theme. Also character songs are nice! But those are very tricky to pull off tbh.
Old 2017-05-15, 08:09   Link #8
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

There are also ending transitions where the composers play instrumental intros of the song before the legit ending begins. It happens in Gundam 00, Hunter x Hunter, D.Gray-man Hallow and even The Prince of Tennis. There is also in Hamatora a rearranged version of the ending in season one for
Spoiler for spoiler:
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-15, 12:48   Link #9
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
There are also ending transitions where the composers play instrumental intros of the song before the legit ending begins. It happens in Gundam 00, Hunter x Hunter, D.Gray-man Hallow and even The Prince of Tennis. There is also in Hamatora a rearranged version of the ending in season one for
Spoiler for spoiler:
Unfortunately for me this falls into the category of "is it done well or no", which admittedly gets pretty subjective to a large degree.

For example, one fairly recent series that did this well was the ED of pt 1 of Gakuen Asterisk - I thought "Waiting for the Rain" was already lovely enough, but adding a swelling of string instruments before the singing began made it estra special for me. Perhapsit did not work for everyone that way, though....
Old 2017-05-15, 20:57   Link #10
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Sometimes, it's kinda great, especially if the insert song that was produced before the anime was used in the anime series itself. The only example of that was probably "kokoro palette", produced by 40meter-P and signal-P and performed by GUMI.

It gives off a feeling of secondhand fulfillment to the ones behind the song, like you witnessed a fanmade work recognized and used in an anime.

And of course, who would forget the EUROBEAT from Initial D?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-16, 09:13   Link #11
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Mai-Hime/Otome was one of the first that sprung to mind. There's a lot of great insert songs, even if people bitch about Materialize.

I'm not a fan of OP/ED insert songs though. I prefer original songs or character themes that fit the scene.
Old 2017-05-17, 04:00   Link #12
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Like everything else, insert songs are a tool that is used in service of the cinematic: used well, they can make a scene more complete, and further engage the viewer's emotions in that scene; if used badly, they can end up being jarring and create dissonance that pulls the viewer out of the viewing experience and mess up whatever emotion the scene is supposed to portray. Note that this use of music in film is no different than the usage of background music or other sounds, it's just that insert songs have the added complication of having vocalized lyrics that can potentially clash with whatever dialogue is being said.

For a good example of an insert song used well in a scene, see Gurren Lagann's use of "Happily Ever After", a high-octane song used to great effect to make a scene more awesome than it is.

Hell, insert songs are not limited to anime: if you want a big-budget, highly popular example of insert songs being used in media, look no further than Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, whose mix of songs from the 70's and 80's are used to incredible effect and even integrated as part of the story.

Thus, whether insert songs are good or not depends upon its execution in a particular media.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music anime