2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-07-22, 15:21   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fate/Apocrypha - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fate/Apocrypha, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 23:04   Link #2
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was a good and surprising episode. Didn't expect Siegfried to die here...Certainly adds a new spin to Mordred calling Siegfried a fake during their fight in episode 1. Unless that first episode was straight up lying...

Will say Astolfo really is likable. Decided to do something that went against his 'faction', but doing so because that's who he is. They are servants, but they still have their own beliefs and desires. It just didn't fit with Astoflo to let someone die who asked to be saved and who Astolfo decided to help.

On top of that....the Red Faction seems to be in real trouble. That Rider and Archer have never even met their masters once is downright weird. I'm growing more sure that the Priest guy has basically brainwashed or drugged the other Red Faction masters outside of Sisigo.
Old 2017-07-24, 00:03   Link #3
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

a bit of a quick ending for black saber. i was expecting him to show down with mordred like in the first ep. these spirits don't have the "weight" of the ones from zero or stay night. i think only Karna has given me that impression so far.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 00:19   Link #4
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
That was a good and surprising episode. Didn't expect Siegfried to die here...Certainly adds a new spin to Mordred calling Siegfried a fake during their fight in episode 1. Unless that first episode was straight up lying...
Some guesses as to what is going on with the first episode:

Spoiler for guesses as to the alleged fake Saber of Black:

I am inclined to say 2 is the most plausible, largely because it fits better with Fate's grimdark setting.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 02:00   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
Some guesses as to what is going on with the first episode:

Spoiler for guesses as to the alleged fake Saber of Black:

I am inclined to say 2 is the most plausible, largely because it fits better with Fate's grimdark setting.
If nothing else I'm definitely feeling the speculation buzz after this episode . I didn't expect Siegfried to die here which just makes everything interesting and up in the air.

Of course it is a Fate story so...the servants are going to die. But nice that the story can still surprise.
Spoiler for Guesswork:
Old 2017-07-24, 03:16   Link #6
Tenzen12

Well Sieg being entrusted to Jeanne by Siegfried us definitely good choice unfortunately it still didn't make episode entertaining in any way.
Old 2017-07-24, 06:27   Link #7
Ultragunner

ok, is this the first time that we see Archer-class Servants that actually...use archery?

The UBW Archer does use bow, but only sometimes, and that ain't his main skill
and of course Gil is nowhere an archer (in literal meaning)

EDIT: again, I'm an anime-only viewer
Old 2017-07-24, 07:23   Link #8
John117xCortana

Black Saber did something that was selfish and selfless at the same time...
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 07:51   Link #9
DragoMuseveni
True Dragon

As a anime watcher only , I find this episode quite entertaining . A little rushed but entertaining . I felt a little teary when I saw Siegfried ( or Sumanai-kun) giving his heart to save someone . That made the entire episode
Old 2017-07-24, 09:33   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

They made Atalanta a catgirl??!! They...turned...Atalanta...into....a catgirl...complete with gothloli-ish outfit??!!! Fffkkkussshht *trying hard to keep it in* whookay......I’ll just say this: the otaku-pandering is strong with this one. There, I said it. Now let me move on.

This episode is rather pleasant to watch. Thanks to Saint Seiya Asgard Arc that I saw in the 90s, I know a thing or two about norse figures after doing my own research years ago in libraries (now everybody can just go to Wikipedia). Sieg’s story tied a bit nicely to his legend although it’s weird that by the time of his realization, he never mentioned his son who got killed or his daughter who he never gets to raise (Did Siegfried even has children in Nasuverse?). The homunculus’ story is getting more interesting, I like it. On the other hand, thanks to his class, it’s unfortunate that I can’t see Spartacus’ quality as a leader, or is that how Nasuverse always portray Spartacus? And Ruler’s another ability is being able to see future events? And yeah, we see Sieg duelling with Mordy in the first episode, so watching Sieg’s death here means things are more than meets the eye and it will get more interesting. Anyway, the red faction smells really fishy. The music throughout this episode is pretty good though.

Err...some questions:
  • Why did Achilles call Atalanta “sister” as a form of "sibling bonding"? They’re not related in any familial way afaik. Is that Achie's way of playing around or did Nasuverse make them somehow related? If anything, Achilles should call her auntie coz Atalanta beat his dad (Peleus) during his prime in a wrestling game .
  • Achilles can’t recognize Chiron after he demonstrated his archery power/skill? That’s kinda weird since the two were quite close as master & pupil. Btw, Atalanta's husband (he's called Hippo-something) was Chiron's pupil too.
  • So...do all Riders in Nasuverse have rides that can fly? That’s such a convenient way to travel. If Genghis Khan can be summoned as a Rider, will his horse be able to fly too?
Old 2017-07-24, 09:43   Link #11
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yeah I might as well treat this Grail War as a completely different entity from the original continuum as at least half of the actions done by Servants here would be unthinkable in the original timeline.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 09:58   Link #12
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I dont know why we should be expecting more or less the same as Stay/Night or Zero. There is not any Emiya so far, Mordred shows she's not Artoria and the only thing you can hope to be related to the Fuyuki Grail War is a Kotomine. Who is as non-trust-worthy as Kirei, judging from what he have done to the other Red Faction Masters.

Last edited by Sheba; 2017-07-24 at 10:14.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 10:07   Link #13
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
They made Atalanta a catgirl??!! They...turned...Atalanta...into....a catgirl...complete with gothloli-ish outfit??!!! Fffkkkussshht *trying hard to keep it in* whookay......I’ll just say this: the otaku-pandering is strong with this one. There, I said it. Now let me move on.

This episode is rather pleasant to watch. Thanks to Saint Seiya Asgard Arc that I saw in the 90s, I know a thing or two about norse figures after doing my own research years ago in libraries (now everybody can just go to Wikipedia). Sieg’s story tied a bit nicely to his legend although it’s weird that by the time of his realization, he never mentioned his son who got killed or his daughter who he never gets to raise (Did Siegfried even has children in Nasuverse?). The homunculus’ story is getting more interesting, I like it. On the other hand, thanks to his class, it’s unfortunate that I can’t see Spartacus’ quality as a leader, or is that how Nasuverse always portray Spartacus? And Ruler’s another ability is being able to see future events? And yeah, we see Sieg duelling with Mordy in the first episode, so watching Sieg’s death here means things are more than meets the eye and it will get more interesting. Anyway, the red faction smells really fishy. The music throughout this episode is pretty good though.

Err...some questions:
  • Why did Achilles call Atalanta “sister” as a form of "sibling bonding"? They’re not related in any familial way afaik. Is that Achie's way of playing around or did Nasuverse make them somehow related? If anything, Achilles should call her auntie coz Atalanta beat his dad (Peleus) during his prime in a wrestling game .
  • Achilles can’t recognize Chiron after he demonstrated his archery power/skill? That’s kinda weird since the two were quite close as master & pupil. Btw, Atalanta's husband (he's called Hippo-something) was Chiron's pupil too.
  • So...do all Riders in Nasuverse have rides that can fly? That’s such a convenient way to travel. If Genghis Khan can be summoned as a Rider, will his horse be able to fly too?
let me say this also, Atalanta is said to get cursed either by Zeus, Rhea or Aphrodite into a lion...perhaps this is why she is portrayed like a cat-girl in anime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atalanta
or at least that's what the wiki says

IMO, Achilles calls Atalanta "Ane-san" as a sign of respect, similar to "anego" (that is often used by delinquents). And don't you think calling a lady u just meet "auntie" or "oba-san" awfully disrespectful?
Old 2017-07-24, 10:08   Link #14
bakato

Quote:

Err...some questions:
Atalanta's cat features are actually part of her myth.

Spoiler for Answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Yeah I might as well treat this Grail War as a completely different entity from the original continuum as at least half of the actions done by Servants here would be unthinkable in the original timeline.
The format of this war makes it completely different in terms of storytelling and character. Since it's literally a team battle, we can't expect to see servants dying anytime soon, but we can expect more stalemates. In a regular Holy Grail War, it's a seven way tag team battle royale, but at its fundamental level its more like every master and servant for themselves.
Old 2017-07-24, 10:30   Link #15
drawr

I see why Siegfried had a flashback last episode, then. I did really like his speech though even if they really rushed it. Even without having a lot of investment in the characters I am enjoying their moments. Astolfo proved he's real hero. Despite the overly cutesy introduction, he has principles.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 10:30   Link #16
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
And before anyone say Alexander, remember that the Gordian Chariot was supposedly to be originally a gift from Zeus. To think it may have properties imbued by the God of Thunder himself is not that far of a stretch.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 10:31   Link #17
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
let me say this also, Atalanta is said to get cursed either by Zeus, Rhea or Aphrodite into a lion...perhaps this is why she is portrayed like a cat-girl in anime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atalanta
or at least that's what the wiki says
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Atalanta's cat features are actually part of her myth.
I've known Atalanta's story quite well before I even knew about Fate franchise. I first read about her in an encyclopedia in my school library back in the 90s. That said, using her lion-curse aspect as a trait to turn her into a catgirl as an excuse for otaku-pandering is not something I'm happy about. Why didn't they just use her lion-curse as an animality-esque skill or Noble Phantasm or something instead? That said, let's move on.

Spoiler for Answers:
Thanks for the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
IMO, Achilles calls Atalanta "Ane-san" as a sign of respect, similar to "anego" (that is often used by delinquents). And don't you think calling a lady u just meet "auntie" or "oba-san" awfully disrespectful?
Well, respect aside, Atalanta is more or less in the age-range of Achilles' dad, Peleus. Both of them hung out during their prime .
Old 2017-07-24, 10:44   Link #18
Twi

Man, Gordes was a screw up from start to finish. He was ordered to bring the homunculus back alive. Not cave in his chest with a fist of metal.

And Berserker got bodied in a hurry.
Old 2017-07-24, 11:29   Link #19
bakato

Quote:
I've known Atalanta's story quite well before I even knew about Fate franchise. I first read about her in an encyclopedia in my school library back in the 90s. That said, using her lion-curse aspect as a trait to turn her into a catgirl as an excuse for otaku-pandering is not something I'm happy about. Why didn't they just use her lion-curse as an animality-esque skill or Noble Phantasm or something instead? That said, let's move on.
We haven't even seen her noble phantasm so what makes you think they haven't?
Old 2017-07-24, 11:31   Link #20
magnuskn

"Help, help, they are putting more anime tropes in my pseudo-historical, uh, magic kamehameha battle royale constant-genderbend anime! How dare they!!!". Really?