SL Aki fanclub president

Revealed: main difference between Europe and USA

What you always wanted to know but never dared to ask:
main difference between Europe and USA
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 19:44   Link #2
samir85

Send a message via ICQ to samir85
This picture is very well known among boards in my country.

However, I never dared to post it here
samir85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 19:55   Link #3
^danshi^
running bear

Sadly, this isn't always the case.
^danshi^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 19:58   Link #4
samir85

Send a message via ICQ to samir85
Indeed, most Europeans eat quite much Fast Food too.

So, this post shouldn't be taken too serious
samir85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 20:02   Link #5
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
ROFL! now Lina Inverse is going to be eaten alive by our fellow AS members from the US and I don't think wine can do wonders like that picture suggests... is irrelevant anyway, because we latinamericans are far better than anyone else
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 20:21   Link #6
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
and I don't think wine can do wonders like that picture suggests...
Nah, the wine just makes you think the girls look like that.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 20:27   Link #7
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
It may not be exactly true, but it's the way it always seems to me after coming back to the US from Japan.

And there is something like more than a dozen countries that now have higher obesity rates than the US.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 20:28   Link #8
MikoKikyo

Quote:
now Lina Inverse is going to be eaten alive by our fellow AS members from the US
Actually, I for one don't really care. I can't help laughing at the wonder of what was going through the fat woman's mind when she decided to show off her thong. Aren't we like....the "fattest" country in the world with 60% of the population overweight and I believe it's 30% obese
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 20:59   Link #9
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
Actually, I for one don't really care. I can't help laughing at the wonder of what was going through the fat woman's mind when she decided to show off her thong. Aren't we like....the "fattest" country in the world with 60% of the population overweight and I believe it's 30% obese
I still can't comprehend how your country classifies obesity and overweightness classified actually as a "disease." Over here, it just means you are too fat and just too lazy to exercise.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 21:11   Link #10
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I still can't comprehend how your country classifies obesity and overweightness classified actually as a "disease." Over here, it just means you are too fat and just too lazy to exercise.
Oh...if I were to generalize I'd say every malfunction of the organism, no matter what the source, can be classified as a disease around here. The best example I can give you: stupid kids aren't stupid, but have a "deficiency" called ADD (attention deficit disorder, means you have trouble concentrating/is slow) which really excuses them from being stupid. But that's just what the rest of us non-ADD jerks think.
(No offense to anyone with ADD out there )
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 21:23   Link #11
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Oh...if I were to generalize I'd say every malfunction of the organism, no matter what the source, can be classified as a disease around here. The best example I can give you: stupid kids aren't stupid, but have a "deficiency" called ADD (attention deficit disorder, means you have trouble concentrating/is slow) which really excuses them from being stupid. But that's just what the rest of us non-ADD jerks think.
(No offense to anyone with ADD out there )
Oh, and let me guess, that "disease" can be "cured" by taking drugs, no?

Well, here's a better solution: smack the kids head and make them study, discipline them to do well. But no wait, that's called "child brutality" and doesn't adhere to "the child's independent thought" am I right?

Well I guess the same goes true for Japan as well. Back in my parent's age, if a student didn't do well - the teacher would smack the student's hand with a ruler or slap him/her. If you do that in my age, the PTA and the media will have a frenzy on how the teacher brutalized a student.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 21:28   Link #12
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Oh...if I were to generalize I'd say everything is a disease around here. The best example I can give you: stupid kids aren't stupid, but have a "defficiency" called ADD (attention deficit disorder, means you have trouble concentrating/is slow) which really excuses them from being stupid. But that's just what the rest of us non-ADD jerks think.
Sadly....she does have a point. We seem to like...not taking responsiblility for ourselves so we classify it as something to fit that. Yes, there are some out there who do have ADD or some other "valid" reason for not doing well. Me...I suffer from procrastination. It's a very contagious disease. It's like a cold: you can get rid of it temporarily but it will always be w/ you. Symptoms can include but are not limited to: drowziness/fatigue, short-term ADD when doing activities you really don't want to do, spastic reactions that make one get up and clean or go for a walk.

And I have seen that pic before also. Definately not something one should show little kids unless it's properly cropped so that 1/2 of the pic is visible. Guess which one.

I know that I'm treading on thin ice but i really don't think that it's impossible to slim down. I was a chunky baby and my mom took proper steps to stop that and it's worked. I was always doing something active mainly so that I wouldn't bother her but it also helps. So saying that it's genetic or a disease doesn't work for me. If you had a cold would you let yourself get sicker...no. So...any who...time to eat some more cookies I made.....woohoo
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 21:36   Link #13
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggy
Me...I suffer from procrastination. It's a very contagious disease. It's like a cold: you can get rid of it temporarily but it will always be w/ you. Symptoms can include but are not limited to: drowziness/fatigue, short-term ADD when doing activities you really don't want to do, spastic reactions that make one get up and clean or go for a walk.
I've never seen anyone describe procastination as eloquently as this... very accurate as well...
Old 2004-06-16, 21:38   Link #14
Spiggy
Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
I've never seen anyone describe procastination as eloquently as this... very accurate as well...
Why thank you very much! I just had to let everyone be aware that it is out there and afflicts many a people. The person you sit beside at work or school may have this disease so take heed.
Old 2004-06-16, 22:36   Link #15
aahhsin

Holy shit! the chick on the right is fucking hot! She packing some boooty
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 22:54   Link #16
LynnieS

Quote:
Oh, and let me guess, that "disease" can be "cured" by taking drugs, no?
Pretty much so. There's money involved in curing diseases. A person can also feel better about himself when he's told that something aside from his lack of self-control is causing his weight to balloon, and everyone wants a quick fix for problems.

Don't get me wrong. There are people with enough self-control and willpower who still gain weight no matter how much they exercise and diet, but the number of obese people out there, regardless of country, is a bit high, IMHO, to say that it's true for everyone.

Quote:
is irrelevant anyway, because we latinamericans are far better than anyone else
A bit curious here on symantics and definitions. Does Mexico count as a part of Latin America? I had read an article that obesity is getting to be a problem there as well.

Quote:
Well, here's a better solution: smack the kids head and make them study, discipline them to do well. But no wait, that's called "child brutality" and doesn't adhere to "the child's independent thought" am I right?

Well I guess the same goes true for Japan as well. Back in my parent's age, if a student didn't do well - the teacher would smack the student's hand with a ruler or slap him/her. If you do that in my age, the PTA and the media will have a frenzy on how the teacher brutalized a student.
Parents?! I'm not even in my 30's ( ), and I remember being smacked on the hands by my teachers. That's Taiwan, though...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 23:19   Link #17
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
A bit curious here on symantics and definitions. Does Mexico count as a part of Latin America?
Of course!, latinamerica's name comes from the fact that latin european countries invaded our lands back in the XVI century, basically it was Spain and Portugal. So latin america goes from the "rio Grande" to the "patagonia", and I consider that we are all very similar from the few people I've met from Mexico and other latinamerican countries.

So in Mexico obesity is beggining to be a problem? maybe, I didn't know... still we are the best
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 23:24   Link #18
Green˛
It's bacon!

Green˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 23:30   Link #19
Spiggy
Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green˛
ROFL That's awesome!!
Old 2004-06-16, 23:43   Link #20
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggy
Sadly....she does have a point. We seem to like...not taking responsiblility for ourselves so we classify it as something to fit that. Yes, there are some out there who do have ADD or some other "valid" reason for not doing well. Me...I suffer from procrastination. It's a very contagious disease. It's like a cold: you can get rid of it temporarily but it will always be w/ you. Symptoms can include but are not limited to: drowziness/fatigue, short-term ADD when doing activities you really don't want to do, spastic reactions that make one get up and clean or go for a walk.
I don't think that's just the US, I think that's a lot of western civilisation generally. It's like another form of political correctness.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote