AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-12-05, 17:32   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1069 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's that time! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Everything exists for a reason". In the ministory, we find out that MADS' research was funded by the "God of Fortune" Lu Feld, who some folks may remember as one of the underworld bosses who was invited to Big Mom's tea party (he was the guy who tried to steal the tamatebako).

-Lucci is raring to go for a shot at Luffy, but his colleagues hold him back. They explain they need permission from the marines to engage the Yonkou, since any conflict with an emperor could potentially spark a war! However, Luffy, upon seeing the damaged Atlas, is instantly enraged and makes the first strike! We then briefly cut to marine HQ, where Akainu learns that Kizaru already set out for Egghead!

-Back to the battle, Luffy goes into Gear 5 mode, while Lucci reveals a new trick up his sleeve.... which is his AWAKENED ZOAN FORM!!! Apparently, he resembles the slimmer version of his hybrid mode from when he first faced Luffy, but now it seems his rosettes have a flaming look about them. Suddenly, Sentoumaru appears with the other Seraphims! We learn that they cannot be commanded through the den den mushi, but directly in person. Also, the chain of command with authority to control them go in order from the Gorousei (elders) > Vegapunk > Sentoumaru > anyone who possesses the "command chip".... which CP0 currently have. That being said.... Sentoumaru orders S-Bear to attack CP0!!! However, Kaku and Stussy refuse to fight back, as they don't want to damage weapons as valuable as the Seraphims.

-Nami's group are watching the battle unfold through the monitors. They're particularly surprised when they finally witness Luffy's Gear 5 form in action for the first time. Suddenly, the original Vegapunk appears before them, and chats with them about Luffy's powers. He says that the Gomu Gomu no Mi was never recorded in the ancient Devil Fruit Encyclopedia, and notes the resemblance between Luffy's G5 form and Nika the Sun God, whose existence has only been mentioned in ancient texts. While the WG has attempted to erase Nika's name from history, he will never disappear as long as people wish for him. Continuing from here, Vegapunk says that Devil Fruits are born from people's wishes and desires.... and could represent the next step of human evolution. However, as these various desires come across as unnatural, DF users are hated by the sea, who's considered to be Mother Nature..... hence why the sea is a DF user's weakness. Vegapunk concludes that all ability wielders represent the futures of those from the past who had these strong desires.....

-Back to the battle, Luffy eventually blasts away Lucci with a new move called Gomu Gomu no Mogura (mole). He then spots Sentoumaru and greets him like a buddy. Sentoumaru reveals that he owes a great debt to Vegapunk, who took him in and rescued him from a life of poverty. That's why he chose to defy CP0! He then asks Luffy to take Vegapunk away with him. However, at that moment, Lucci recovers, and deals a fatal blow on Sentoumaru! He then orders the Seraphim to obey him now that he took out their current commander! Naturally, Luffy is not pleased at all by this turn of events....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-12-08 at 12:47.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-05, 17:42   Link #2
marvelB

Welp, I think I can see where this is going.... if Kizaru isn't allowed to go to Egghead, he'll most likely send Sentoumaru (who works under the admiral, remember) over there in his place. Cue potential betrayal to his former boss by trying to kill him with the Seraphims, the real Kuma getting caught up in the mix, yadda, yadda, yadda....

I'm more interested in that DF lore, though. Maybe the exact mechanic behind awakening will be explained?
Old 2022-12-05, 17:44   Link #3
Gerard07

Having seen the spoilers, Luffy vs. Lucci, but as many predicted, Luffy seems to be superior and the new information about "Akuma no mi" will surely be interesting, wait for more spoilers.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-05, 18:35   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Lucci recovering is not confirmed yet, but the same spoiler mentions he just wants to get the fuck out of here ASAP. So the fight's over in any case.
Old 2022-12-06, 06:39   Link #5
Kaz_

My boy Lucci is taking the whole Smoker treatment package here lol, I was least expecting him to give Luffy a challange.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-06, 06:56   Link #6
grecefar

Well I did thought that the gear 5 was not going to be easy to access or there was some handicap since is really OP, but it seems that luffy can go at will without problems.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-06, 10:17   Link #7
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

This is twice that Akainu holds Kizaru back. Kizaru has been itching to hunt down Straw Hats since he failed to capture Straw Hats during Sabaody Archipelago.

Akainu first held Kizaru to not mobilizing his men to Wano, and he did it again to Egghead.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-06, 16:41   Link #8
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
This is twice that Akainu holds Kizaru back. Kizaru has been itching to hunt down Straw Hats since he failed to capture Straw Hats during Sabaody Archipelago.

Akainu first held Kizaru to not mobilizing his men to Wano, and he did it again to Egghead.
Looks like that was a mistake, he got permission to go in the most recent spoilers.

Will wait until I see the first raws before commenting the chapter.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-06, 18:44   Link #9
marvelB

Okay, OP updated! Yeah, turns out the earlier spoilers were off by quite a margin. Not only is Kizaru on his way to Egghead (seems he didn't even bother waiting for Akainu's permission, lol), but it seems that Lucci DIDN'T get scared off by Luffy.... not yet, anyway. He basically wants to hijack the Seraphims and use them to help him destroy the rubber man. Doubt he'll be able to successfully control them, though.

Anyway, color me surprised that Sentoumaru turned out not to be an enemy after all! Still wish we could've seen him use the axe, though (maybe next chapter?). And all things considered, even with Gear 5, Luffy may actually have a tough fight on his hands if Kizaru arrives and teams up with an awakened Lucci. Even more so if those Seraphims actually obey CP0's orders. This could get real messy, real fast, indeed.....

As for the DF lore.... it doesn't strike me as anything new, honestly. I even recall Oda saying in some old SBS columns that he intended for DF powers to be based on human desires. I did find that bit about the encyclopedia being "ancient" interesting, though. So that means it's existed for quite some time..... though the WG obviously decided to censor it if the Gomu fruit was excluded. Oh, and the underworld boss funding MADS is pretty cool info, too! Nice to see how these seemingly random characters tie in to the bigger story!

BTW, as it also turns out.... NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK! And technically, there shouldn't be a chapter the week after either due to the magazine going on break, but we have a long tradition of holiday spoilers coming out super early, so stay tuned!
Old 2022-12-06, 19:06   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Eh, so spoilers were mostly fake. Disappointed Luffy didn't scare Lucci shitless, and that Lucci actually seems to be putting up a fight.

Pleasantly surprised Sentomaru turned out to be 100% loyal to Vegapunk. Unfortunately, there are other means for CP0 to gain control of the Seraphims... namely, killing him.

Kizaru heading to Egghead is great. Now that's going to provide tension! Seems like he was tired of Akainu constantly benching him and just headed out on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
As for the DF lore.... it doesn't strike me as anything new, honestly. I even recall Oda saying in some old SBS columns that he intended for DF powers to be based on human desires. I did find that bit about the encyclopedia being "ancient" interesting, though. So that means it's existed for quite some time..... though the WG obviously decided to censor it if the Gomu fruit was excluded. Oh, and the underworld boss funding MADS is pretty cool info, too! Nice to see how these seemingly random characters tie in to the bigger story!
I'm personally not liking the reveal of the DF's origins because considering how whacky some DFs are, it seems super weird. Not to mention the sea being an actual Goddess...

About the gomu gomu, you misunderstood. It's not in the ancient DF encyclopedia (as in, the one predating the current one the gomu gomu is in) because as we know by now, gomu gomu is a fake name the Government came up with. This puts a rest to the theory there might be a real gomu gomu fruit out there, but it was always a bit of a stretch, ohohoho.
Old 2022-12-06, 19:21   Link #11
Gerard07

Having seen the new spoilers, Lucci seems to be fighting Luffy, Kisaru is coming to the island (but will he arrive on time?), Sentomaru is loyal to the scientist, Vegapunk explained to the gomu-gomu crew that she is actually Nika, and they talk a bit about the origins of the Akuma no mi, I really thought that Oda was going to say that the fruits came out of a tree... magical or from sins or something like that, but let's see what Oda will come up with later, to wait for the chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-06, 22:33   Link #12
Rainbowman

Quite surprising that Sentoumaru becomes allies of the good guys despite going after Luffy on Sabaody. Quite disappointed that the Devil Fruit were not man made by science and instead are being weaponized through science.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-07, 04:49   Link #13
Hoodspirit

Raws are out,
I don't buy Vegapunk's theory.
Hopefully Laugh Tale reveals a better secret to the devil fruits.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-07, 06:57   Link #14
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I love how this chapter basically says, "Oh, you thought Lucci was going to be a cakewalk for Luffy? Well then, let's add in a former Admiral to up the ante!"

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-07, 11:14   Link #15
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I love how this chapter basically says, "Oh, you thought Lucci was going to be a cakewalk for Luffy? Well then, let's add in a former Admiral to up the ante!"
Former Admiral? Kizaru was still active as an Admiral.
Old 2022-12-07, 19:39   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Former Admiral? Kizaru was still active as an Admiral.
He's done nothing for so long people thought he was retired
Old 2022-12-07, 20:14   Link #17
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Imagine if out of all the admirals, Borsalino out of all people gets to be the Straw Hats' first win against one.
Old 2022-12-07, 21:55   Link #18
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
He's done nothing for so long people thought he was retired
Well... Akainu already put a restrain on him a bunch and I'm looking forward to see him in action.

I hope Vegapunk can realign and transfer the authority to Franky and Robin since they were worthy of commanding the Seraphims for a while. Robin deserves to be protected due to being the sole survivor of Ohara.

It'll be a pain if Sentomaru is killed at this point.
Old 2022-12-08, 08:37   Link #19
grecefar

read the chapter.

lucci was just a sore loser in the end but doesn't stand a chance against luffy, yeah they need kizaru there if they want a chance.

seeing that they're planning to escape the fight will not end here.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-08, 13:34   Link #20
marvelB

Come to think of it.... I'm now wondering if Zoro will be the one to face Kizaru? I assume this for two reasons: First, this could be his chance to get payback on the admiral for nearly killing him at Sabaody. Second, from the few fights we've seen him in, Kizaru had a tendency to take on the first mates/second in command (such as Rayleigh at Sabaody, and Marco during the Marineford arc). So based on those two factors, I can see our Pirate Hunter friend being the one to handle the admiral. Plus, this is a good chance for him to perfect his use of conqueror's haki in combat, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
About the gomu gomu, you misunderstood. It's not in the ancient DF encyclopedia (as in, the one predating the current one the gomu gomu is in) because as we know by now, gomu gomu is a fake name the Government came up with. This puts a rest to the theory there might be a real gomu gomu fruit out there, but it was always a bit of a stretch, ohohoho.
Yeah, I guess that may be the case.... though hopefully the official TL will further clear things up. I still find the fact that there's an ancient DF encyclopedia interesting enough, though. Hopefully, Oda will further expound on that (at least through the SBS or Vivre Card, if not the main story).