Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-26, 14:37   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Grave of the Fireflies - Dub or Sub?

I got a unique opportunity to watch the dubbed version of "Grave of the Fireflies" today when I went over to my cousin's house for his birthday. He got it as a present and decided to watch it today. I've had the subbed version for about a year now or so and having the unique opportunity to see both I have to say I really liked the dubbed version. I almost liked it better than the subbed version. The voice actors did a very, very good job and it was well acted, surprising for a dubbed anime. Then again, it's a Ghibli film and it's definately good. Needless to say, dub or not, my cousin was just blown away by the film as was the rest of the family. When it was over, aside from all the tears, all I heard was "wow". Kinda my same reaction when I first saw it.

So, with that aside, and throwing aside the old hardcore "subbed or nothing" zealotry, which did you like better? That's provided you've heard both. I think the subbed was better, but not by much. On a good note though, I think they did an even better job in the dubbed version of the film in portraying his aunt and her family and how mean they were. In fact, I think it comes across better at how much of a royal b**ch she was. Each time I see her I just wanna reach through the tube and jackslap her for being that way. *ehem* Anywho, which do you think was the better version of the two films? Subbed or dubbed?
Old 2004-06-27, 11:37   Link #2
mayukhers112
Mahou Shonen

I liked both VERY much, but the subbed beats it out, again, by only a little, and it's only because Setsuko's voice actress in the original portrays the little girl so realistically. She was brilliant... Oh, and, yes, I totally agree with you about the aunt in the dub.
Old 2004-06-27, 17:33   Link #3
Mugen
Tha slick

Send a message via MSN to Mugen
i had the central park dvd version of this movie, so i dont know wether they have released a new version with different dub on. But i thought the dubbing slaughtered the movie. I just dont think if you are watching such a provocative n moving film about Japan you can have cheesy American voice actors. Thats just my opinion
Old 2004-06-27, 17:50   Link #4
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I prefer English sub, I can't stand the English dubbed voice of Setsuko voice actor it sounded like a grown woman trying to sound like a little kid it was awful at least in the Japanese dub Setsuko sounded like a real little girl because the actor who played her was really a little girl.
Old 2004-06-27, 18:16   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Get the subbed version. The dub is just so... ugh. It really doesn't do such a magnificent film justice.
Old 2004-06-27, 19:25   Link #6
osmoses-jones

sub one is better that they only one i watch
Old 2004-06-27, 20:13   Link #7
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

For me, the feature film is so fantastic it doesn't really matter which way you watch/listen to it... seriously, the overall story is so gut-wrenchingly emotional and rediculously real I find that whether or not the feature was subtitled or dubbed had minimal impact on how I received it... But with that said, the only note I think one should make is that which one member has already stated; the Japanese voice actress for Setsuko was four years old, therefore her work may seem much more original than say, a grown woman to portray a young woman (as we see within many other shows).
Old 2004-06-27, 21:05   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Mugan, I think the version I watched with my cousin was a redub because Setsuko's voice actress did sound like an authentic 4 year old child. So it may not be the same version you saw.
Old 2004-06-28, 01:52   Link #9
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Mugan, I think the version I watched with my cousin was a redub because Setsuko's voice actress did sound like an authentic 4 year old child. So it may not be the same version you saw.
Oh, I have the collector series dvd release from central park media. I never knew their was another redubbed version of it.
Old 2004-06-28, 09:32   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmoses-jones
sub one is better that they only one i watch
You do know, that your sig is about 300KB in size don't you? Try limiting them to 50KB total.
Old 2004-06-28, 13:11   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
You do know, that your sig is about 300KB in size don't you? Try limiting them to 50KB total.
hehe. Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing that it was kinda large. But it's neat none the less.
Closed Thread