AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-07, 04:58   Link #1
philupthetank86

Send a message via AIM to philupthetank86 Send a message via MSN to philupthetank86 Send a message via Yahoo to philupthetank86
why are fansubs more sexier than licenced subs?

i know it has something to do with the who'le DVD not being able to make their subtitles look sexy, but can they through in the cultural notes? there are so many things that i've learned through fan subs because of cultural notes, all the jokes too, not only cultural notes, but sign(kanji) translations. i swear there are good things and bad things about being an english speaker, the good thing is, all the japanese fansubs are in english, the bad thing, you have to share you language with people who prefure dubs rather than subs, you have to share you langauge with people who are full of false pride because of the language they speak, can some one please tell me why adult swim/the wide wide world of american anime frachize does not show subtitled anime on TV?

and another thing, why are foreign dubbers so much better at dubbing than english dubbers? i've watched neon genesis evangelion in italian and i thought that they where like... GOOD, but any one who has seen evangelion in english will agree that the english dubbers suck, the only english dubed anime that i thought was well done was cowboy bebop,

BUT the thing i dont like about Dubs, is the fact that they miss all the cultural/lingual concepts and jokes that you cannot transfer to english,

Take ONE PIECE for example, no one is going to get the kama kama okama joke when its translated into english,

" im sorry, this is like the first time ive been in a forum in such a long time, i havnt ranted about dubs for years!, BOY that feels good.
Old 2004-07-07, 05:15   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Okaeri.

Indeed. I also find that the difference between my culture and Japanese is one of the most marvelous things about anime. With culturual references (and their unique way of phrasing) scrubbed clean anime becomes much less interesting. Even when a sub is well done, the licensing companies often over-translate the show as compared to fansubs.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-07-07, 05:25   Link #3
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by philupthetank86
and another thing, why are foreign dubbers so much better at dubbing than english dubbers? i've watched neon genesis evangelion in italian and i thought that they where like... GOOD, but any one who has seen evangelion in english will agree that the english dubbers suck, the only english dubed anime that i thought was well done was cowboy bebop,
Indeed, English dubs are one of the worst world wide (well, (older) Turkish dubs suck even more--> everyone has a throaty voice and is out of sync)

If I compare your dubs to our German dubs, I can understand why you are pissed about DB or other more recent dubs. The German voice actors put more effort in their voicing acts than most English VA's (they are still way below Japanese VA's of course). The voices are also mostly adequate because kids voice kids and adults voice adults.

BTW: Fansubs could be more sexier because they are free? You will lower your expectations knowing that watching fansubs is a free privilege. (*gasp* A nasty analogy just popped into my mind, though I won't tell you what. It has something to do with interpersonal relations ^_^)
Old 2004-07-07, 06:02   Link #4
Thany
Unfair

I'm really glad to be in France, so I don't have to hear the English dubs even though I haven't heard much English dubs anyway, but from what I see everywhere, they're bad
Old 2004-07-07, 07:10   Link #5
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
Well, that is the thing that kind of irritates me when people say that english dubs are bad. That is the thing, they aren't. In Japan many series has campy and horrible voice acting, the thing is that you don't understand the language enough to tell the difference that it is good and it is bad. Granted Japaense dubs tend to be a little better because most voice actors/actresses are trained to sing and use the vocals to the fullest. Also the voice acting recording is different in Japan, they have all the actors in one booth doing a scene rather than one person doing it alone so that can add to the effect of "presence" or something.

Whatever the case is, just because it is japanese voice acting doesn't mean it is high quality. If you bring a Japanese person in the united states and made them watch a movie like "Spiderman 2" or a campy B movie or soap opera they wont be able to tell the difference whether it is good acting or not. They don't know the various nuances of the language as much as we do to be able to decipher wheter the voice acting is good or bad, the same thing as us americans watching Japanese dubs. I took a couple of classes in Japanese class, but I sure as hell can't tell whether the voice acting is good or bad. That is because I don't know the nuances of Japanese Culture, their standard of voice acting, and of course I don't know the language that well to tell wheter acting is good or bad.
Old 2004-07-07, 07:35   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
Well, that is the thing that kind of irritates me when people say that english dubs are bad. That is the thing, they aren't. In Japan many series has campy and horrible voice acting, the thing is that you don't understand the language enough to tell the difference that it is good and it is bad. Granted Japaense dubs tend to be a little better because most voice actors/actresses are trained to sing and use the vocals to the fullest. Also the voice acting recording is different in Japan, they have all the actors in one booth doing a scene rather than one person doing it alone so that can add to the effect of "presence" or something.

Whatever the case is, just because it is japanese voice acting doesn't mean it is high quality. If you bring a Japanese person in the united states and made them watch a movie like "Spiderman 2" or a campy B movie or soap opera they wont be able to tell the difference whether it is good acting or not. They don't know the various nuances of the language as much as we do to be able to decipher wheter the voice acting is good or bad, the same thing as us americans watching Japanese dubs. I took a couple of classes in Japanese class, but I sure as hell can't tell whether the voice acting is good or bad. That is because I don't know the nuances of Japanese Culture, their standard of voice acting, and of course I don't know the language that well to tell wheter acting is good or bad.
It's true that most of us (me included) do not understand what is being said but we hear how it is said. Humans have the ability to communicate with other humans on a limited scale without knowing their respective languages. That is because we can see the mimics and hear the emotions of the speaker. Even you and I will know the difference between a Japanese sentence directed angrily to you and a warm "welcome" in Japanese. Now what does make English dubs of which I do understand every single word worse than a Japanese dub of which I understand 1 or 2 words? It's the fact that the English VA's do not/cannot convey the feelings of the person they are voice acting as good as the Japanese can (and other countries' VA's).

Remember the advantage of a fan sub or of a DVD with Japanese soundtrack and English subtitles: Reading the subs makes you understand the content (or to be consistent: what is being said ) while hearing the soundtrack gives you the how it is said part of a communication. Both merges while watching the fan sub and that's why I prefer a fan sub over an English dub unless they learn to convey emotions properly. The tone of the VA's is pretty secondary because you'll accustom to them pretty quickly.

Wow, I didn't know that I could write something intelligent and serious that well, that's why I'll allow me to not spell check the post.
Old 2004-07-07, 08:24   Link #7
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
1. US DVD releases have come a long way. One of the top-notch releases are Right Stuf's KareKano DVDs. They have colored subs all over the screen, matching the tons of on-screen text in the show. Each dvd has also an interview translator as "translation notes" that taught me more than any fansub's translation note ever could.
Synch Point's FLCL DVDs are also a good example. They come with a very good booklet that contains translation notes (besides other interesting information) and the director's commentary track for each episode can't be matched by any fansub.
Those are the good examples, of course. There are many DVDs of a rather poor quality but overall, us anime DVDs have gotten much better.
2. The Japanese have a lot of expirience with dubbing - especially with low budgets - and they have a much larger community wanting to do voice acting so they can choose a person that matches to the character she/he has to do so they have only to act oneself. This is one factor that makes Japanese dubs better than foreign.
Plus the fact, that the creators of the series can influence who's chosen for a certain role and supervise the recording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
The voices are also mostly adequate because kids voice kids and adults voice adults.
Do you know that most kids in Japanese dubs are actually voiced by adults?
Old 2004-07-07, 09:44   Link #8
K_R
also known as K!

And the majority of those are adult women.

The best thing you can do is learn Japanese, make lots of Japanese friends and maybe even live there for a while. Then you'll not need the shitty Eng dub or sub!
Old 2004-07-07, 10:30   Link #9
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
Well, that is the thing that kind of irritates me when people say that english dubs are bad. That is the thing, they aren't.

Well the thing is this is your opinion. One I and many others do not share. You make it sound as though what you are saying is fact.
Old 2004-07-07, 10:38   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer
3. Do you know that most kids in Japanese dubs are actually voiced by adults?
Yup, I know. Mostly females. What I meant was that they take adequate voices for the characters. Moreover most Japanese females have/can emulate children voices.
Old 2004-07-07, 10:53   Link #11
LynnieS

Quote:
Yup, I know. Mostly females. What I meant was that they take adequate voices for the characters. Moreover most Japanese females have/can emulate children voices.
Not just the Japanese ones.

... and another dub vs. sub vs. localization thread?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2004-07-07, 10:55   Link #12
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
Not just the Japanese ones.

... and another dub vs. sub vs. localization thread?
Where did I say that it is a Japanese only phenomenom? I agreed that the Japanese do it while saying nothing about other countries, or did I miss something?
Old 2004-07-07, 11:19   Link #13
LynnieS

Quote:
Where did I say that it is a Japanese only phenomenom? I agreed that the Japanese do it while saying nothing about other countries, or did I miss something?
No, just wanted to ensure that no one else would get the idea that it was a country-/race-specific trait. Sorry for the confusion. Cheers.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2004-07-07, 12:08   Link #14
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
I'm really glad to be in France, so I don't have to hear the English dubs even though I haven't heard much English dubs anyway, but from what I see everywhere, they're bad
Is the same for me, once I saw this german movie dubbed in english and it was so awful.

But is true that you cannot be a fair judge of dubbing when it isn't in your main language, although sometimes is so horrible that the language barrier doesnt matter.
Old 2004-07-07, 13:18   Link #15
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Is the same for me, once I saw this german movie dubbed in english and it was so awful.

But is true that you cannot be a fair judge of dubbing when it isn't in your main language, although sometimes is so horrible that the language barrier doesnt matter.
The fact is that when I compare an English dub to a Japanese dub, I would understand easier the Japanese than the English if I was as good in Japanese as in English because English's voice are NOT easy to understand neither : they speak like 'wadaya wand?'.
You obviously need to be English to understand an English dub or else you'll have to hear again and again a dub to finally get what is being said, this is just too badly said.
Old 2004-07-07, 13:21   Link #16
Jeebs
Ooga Booga

Send a message via AIM to Jeebs
Quote:
It's true that most of us (me included) do not understand what is being said but we hear how it is said. Humans have the ability to communicate with other humans on a limited scale without knowing their respective languages. That is because we can see the mimics and hear the emotions of the speaker. Even you and I will know the difference between a Japanese sentence directed angrily to you and a warm "welcome" in Japanese.
I take it you haven't heard Vietnamese or Chinese on a regular basis. These two Asian languages, more so than the others, sound like someone is yelling at you but it is actually a normal conversation. So judging by tone of voice does not really work. For example, I could say "I"m gonna kill you" in a sing-songy voice in a language you do not understand and you would think it's something good.
Old 2004-07-07, 13:28   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs
For example, I could say "I"m gonna kill you" in a sing-songy voice in a language you do not understand and you would think it's something good.
Sure, you could but normally the way you say something is connected to what you say and not the exact opposite, so that is a really unfitting example.
Old 2004-07-07, 13:38   Link #18
Jeebs
Ooga Booga

Send a message via AIM to Jeebs
Quote:
Sure, you could but normally the way you say something is connected to what you say and not the exact opposite, so that is a really unfitting example.
why? there are plenty of maniacal people that would enjoy killing someone else.
Old 2004-07-07, 14:03   Link #19
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs
why? there are plenty of maniacal people that would enjoy killing someone else.
If those "maniacal people" make out the bigger part of the human population, then, yes, I'm wrong and you can generalize that humans normally cannot read emotions or intentions in the voice of other humans. I'm really sorry for not considering the bulk of maniacal people who enjoy to kill us, excuse my naiveté. It's decided, I will never ever travel to a country in which the people do not speak my language since there is a good chance that they will kill me Jeebs, you are my life saver!
Old 2004-07-07, 14:50   Link #20
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Ah, well. Japanese dubs are propably not perfect and english ones not total crap.
I've accustomed myself to watch everything in it's original language with subtitles. It doesn't matter that much for animation (as long the voices are recorded after the drawing - which is the case for most animes) but in movies they just erease all the background noises that make much for the atmosphere of the movie.
Since there's a Ov/Sub version of pretty much anything i want to watch it's been a while since I heard the last dub and thus I don't care much anyway.
Closed Thread