Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-27, 10:18   Link #1
Tritium
doaho...

Something like tsukihime

I need something eerie and weird like shingetsutan tsukihime, this is one of my favorite animes (although i hate the ending). I'm really in the mood to watch something like this. I don't care if it's licensed or unlicensed (got my paycheck this week )
Old 2004-07-27, 10:44   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hmm... maybe Nightwalker, Vampire Princess Miyu, 3X3 EYES and El Hazard... I'm a bit stretching here... but I guess you want some mysterious atmosphere with romance stories?
Old 2004-07-27, 12:07   Link #3
Tritium
doaho...

I'm not searching for the romance part in it more the dark mysterious part.
Old 2004-07-27, 12:28   Link #4
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

I suppose the only wierd/eerie/available because of licence I can think of is Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World. 13 episodes with a good mix of mystery, cultural oddity and action. Probably one of the best shows to appear in 2003.
Old 2004-07-27, 13:01   Link #5
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Kino no Tabi - The Beautiful World - is one of the best anime series ever in existence! but then it's more like philosophically challenging and morally disturbing than dark and mysterious...

If you don't care about romance, just dark, mysterious and eerie, get Boogiepop Phantom, Lain, TEXHNOLYZE, Narutaru, Perfect Blue and MONSTER!
Old 2004-07-27, 13:58   Link #6
Tritium
doaho...

Kino no Tabi - seems interresting i think i'm going to get this one
Boogiepop Phantom - title sucks lol a friend of mine has the dvds, i never lend them because of the title but i think i'm going to take them now hehe
Lain - I have already seen this one and i thought it was great!
TEXHNOLYZE - i saw a couple of eps when it was still unlicensed it's licensed now right? are the dvds already available?
Narutaru - i also saw this one and i hated it lol.
Perfect Blue - i searched this one on google and the cover is full of blood so i'm definiatly going to get this one
MONSTER! - wow 78 eps i will try a few eps.
Old 2004-07-27, 14:30   Link #7
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Well...

I gotta say that Tsukihime is pretty darn hard to top, but in terms of the atmosphere, try Madlax and Noir. Both feature dark, sinister, mysterious backgrounds that are slowly revealed as the show progresses. Granted, there's no romance of any sort, and the genre is completely different (Tsukihime: vampires/fantasy, Noir and Madlax: Female assassins and civil wars), but for some reason, I got the same feel when watching them. Not to mention that the music is quite similar between these Beetrain productions and Tsukihime. Hope this was of some help if you haven't seen them already ^^
Old 2004-07-27, 15:39   Link #8
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
What about Mermaid Forrest the movie and I know that there is a series but I haven't seen it yet?
Old 2004-07-27, 16:03   Link #9
Tritium
doaho...

I saw a couple of eps of noir, and forgot all about that anime i really liked it i guess i'm going to buy those dvds soon ^^
Old 2004-07-27, 16:24   Link #10
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I would also have to have a vague recommendation set for Noir and Madlax...they both have a similar 'underside' feeling to the stories as Tsukihime left me with. Almost like there were two parallel stories going on.
Old 2004-07-27, 17:00   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Here are a couple licensed series focusing on gothic themes:

Vampire Princess Miyu OAV - An older but lovingly rendered series. Sort of an introduction to Miyu and her shadowy world.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV - Newer but less successful. Sort of an anthology of ghost/horror stories with another story wrapping around it. The story is good but the production gets a little shaky towards the end.

Shamanic Princess OAV - A little-known gem. This is a self-contained story involving supernatural and horror elements. Well-made and powerful. Also a very good deal ($20 for the entire run of 6 episodes).

A couple of fansubs which fit the bill a little less well:

St. Luminous Mission High School: This is moody but slightly unserious. It's more of a weird mystery story than a horror yarn. The visual design is iffy but it's got an excellent soundtrack by Ali Project.

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette - Not a title I am big on but it's certainly mysterious as hell, and it's stuffed with horror etc.
Old 2004-07-27, 17:58   Link #12
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I suggest you check this new series that recently just started airing. Though it has been licensed already by ADV, I have no idea when the DVD’s will start coming out. It is called "Elfen Lied" which I've heard is quite similar to Tsukihime's bloody and dark theme. Telling from those image caps from episode 1 it’s really really bloody and violent be forewarned.
Old 2004-07-27, 21:32   Link #13
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Petshop of Horror is a good one to get. We have 4 short stories of people in need buying some wierd magical animal in order for their dreams to come true. Problem with this setup is that they must be cared for in a specific way or else they'll just eat their masters [think Gremlins]. Gripping show and in most cases unfortunate for the customers of the above petshop...
Closed Thread