AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-03, 13:31   Link #1
aahhsin

Infernal Affairs

What a Great Movie. And there's no Movie thread yet. Except for that cliche thread. So could we put movie reviews in there?

Die.

Mo Gan Do, starring Andy Lau or LauTakWa and Tony Leung aka Leung Chiu Wai, is a terrific movie. Simple as that. It involves the Triads and of course the Hong Kong police. Well seeing how the police want to catch the Triads, the cops plant a mole into the Triad's force. Yet unknowingly, the Triads also plant a mole back into the police force. Both of these men rise to the top of their respective forces and when the two forces discover there are moles in their ranks, both these men are assigned to find and kill the mole. The two men, Ming and Yan, attempt to discover each other yet remain hidden, both desperately also want to escape their double lives forever. The two moles' duel breaks all hell and only one of them can survive.

Yea yea yea, my plot discription sucks. Just go to Rottentomatoes.com if you really want to read a good plot review. The point is, this movie kicks ass. It's not your pussy predicable storyline like some bullshit like Cinderella Story, or some fucking other bullshit where 1 man can defeat 1000000 others. There isn't a heavy gun fight where everything blows up in this movie. It's more realistic then most movies of today. So if you watch this movie ask yourself two questions:

"Am I an idiot that only likes to watch people die and special effects?"
"Am I so homophobic that I cannot watch a movie without hot chicks?"

If your answer is yes to either question, stay away from Infernal Affairs. I highly recommend this movie. It's terrific.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:37   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Sounds like an interesting movie and should be worth watching. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
The two moles' duel breaks all hell and only one of them can survive.
Oddly, this line reminded me of another of movie that stared Andy Lau, Fulltime Killer.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 13:37   Link #3
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
What a Great Movie. And there's no Movie thread yet. Except for that cliche thread. So could we put movie reviews in there?

Die.

Mo Gan Do, starring Andy Lau or LauTakWa and Tony Leung aka Leung Chiu Wai, is a terrific movie. Simple as that. It involves the Triads and of course the Hong Kong police. Well seeing how the police want to catch the Triads, the cops plant a mole into the Triad's force. Yet unknowingly, the Triads also plant a mole back into the police force. Both of these men rise to the top of their respective forces and when the two forces discover there are moles in their ranks, both these men are assigned to find and kill the mole. The two men, Ming and Yan, attempt to discover each other yet remain hidden, both desperately also want to escape their double lives forever. The two moles' duel breaks all hell and only one of them can survive.

Yea yea yea, my plot discription sucks. Just go to Rottentomatoes.com if you really want to read a good plot review. The point is, this movie kicks ass. It's not your pussy predicable storyline like some bullshit like Cinderella Story, or some fucking other bullshit where 1 man can defeat 1000000 others. There isn't a heavy gun fight where everything blows up in this movie. It's more realistic then most movies of today. So if you watch this movie ask yourself two questions:

"Am I an idiot that only likes to watch people die and special effects?"
"Am I so homophobic that I cannot watch a movie without hot chicks?"

If your answer is yes to either question, stay away from Infernal Affairs. I highly recommend this movie. It's terrific.
Sounds cool!
Could I get a link to buy this movie? (Subbed)
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 14:12   Link #4
Harogenki
Victim of Zeta Reticulins

Send a message via AIM to Harogenki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
Sounds cool!
Could I get a link to buy this movie? (Subbed)
www.play-asia.com even the original chinese movie DVD generally has english subtitles as with most, and why the hell did the chinese get the new dawn of the dead on dvd before us? Damn them!
Harogenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 17:18   Link #5
vl86

did you watch the 3rd one?

it's so confusing i was like wtf the whole movie..

cause they kept going back and forth between the years
vl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 17:26   Link #6
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vl86
did you watch the 3rd one?

it's so confusing i was like wtf the whole movie..

cause they kept going back and forth between the years
Yup!

It just revolves around Yan's death. It wasn't confusing Although I reallly wanted to punch Lai Ming in the face. I hate him. It's not as linear as the first or second one, but the third one works if you paid attention for the first and second.

Quote:
www.play-asia.com even the original chinese movie DVD generally has english subtitles as with most, and why the hell did the chinese get the new dawn of the dead on dvd before us? Damn them!
It's because we chinese own Pirate Island. A.K.A. Hong Kong.
Old 2004-08-03, 17:38   Link #7
chucky
Always impatient

Brad Pitt watched it and he said he wanna do a hollywood version of it.
I guess it will be materialized... not in the near future prolly.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 19:16   Link #8
ramune

The first one was really good, and they should've just ended it there. It's true that the 3rd one explains a lot of stuff, but I had to watch it twice to get it.

It is definitely worth watching though. I think it's one of the best HK movie ever made.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 19:43   Link #9
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think it's one the best Hongkong movies in recent years... the whole trilogy is actually quite good, in comparison to other recent Hongkong movies that is... still the script writers could and should have some more time to iron out some strange plotholes here and there... the actings are all top-notch though...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 23:47   Link #10
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
YEAH! IA Promotion! Squee! I love these movies. Andy and Tony do great jobs.

Yes, they are doing an American version. It is gonna suck BTW. No offence to the American actors. But there is no way you can match Andy and Tony. They are the gods of Hong Kong movies.

The American version will have Johnny Depp or something I can't remember. I was probably crying too much at that point. But it is called "The Departed". Can I just say. WTF?!?!? My poor IA will get screwed. The only thing that can be improved on is the second one. Edison Chen and Shawn Yue are not good actors .

Oh and Kelly Chen's performance kinda sucked.
anime_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 01:15   Link #11
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Yep, in my view, the Infernal Affairs trilogy beats out a lot of Western movies in terms of contents and value. A pity it is the only Hong Kong movie to do so in the last couple of years.

Pitt's company buying it for adapting it to the Western market makes you wonder if they are going to turn it into a kill-fest, full of shoot-them-ups and matrix-like shootouts...
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 12:04   Link #12
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

watched all 3 in one sitting.. though i only enjoyed the first one.
i think the chapman to/tony leung duo is what made the first one so great.... i'm not really a fan of leon lai or hk teeny boppers :/

andy lau > brad pitt

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 13:39   Link #13
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
watched all 3 in one sitting.. though i only enjoyed the first one.
i think the chapman to/tony leung duo is what made the first one so great.... i'm not really a fan of leon lai or hk teeny boppers :/

andy lau > brad pitt
Leon Lai can't act for shit. He should stick with singing. I wouldn't be surprised if the first one is the best. And How can you sit for about 6 hours straight? I had to watch 1 a day, my ass started to hurt.

Well I was doing some research on the American version and man o man...

Matt Damon = Andy Lau
Leonardo DeCaprio = Tony Leung.

Don't they seem a bit young to do those parts? They can do the young version, (The Police academy part and part II) but the others I'm rather skeptical.

Damon might be able to pull it off, but DeCaprio?
Old 2004-08-04, 13:49   Link #14
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

you don't give decaprio enough credit..
sure.. he hasn't been phenomenal in any of his performances, but the kid's got talent :P

unless they alter the plot, i don't think a north american audience would appreciate crime movies of this sort..
i mean, there were tons of plot holes in infernal affairs 1.. something western film critics don't overlook easily.
not only that, but the setting for infernal affair.. the contrasting worlds of the seedy hk underground with the sterile and efficient law enforcement agency, just wouldn't work in an american setting...
there's something decidedly Bad-Ass about hongkong's mean streets that you can't find anywhere else.

Old 2004-08-04, 14:00   Link #15
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
you don't give decaprio enough credit..
sure.. he hasn't been phenomenal in any of his performances, but the kid's got talent :P

unless they alter the plot, i don't think a north american audience would appreciate crime movies of this sort..
i mean, there were tons of plot holes in infernal affairs 1.. something western film critics don't overlook easily.
not only that, but the setting for infernal affair.. the contrasting worlds of the seedy hk underground with the sterile and efficient law enforcement agency, just wouldn't work in an american setting...
there's something decidedly Bad-Ass about hongkong's mean streets that you can't find anywhere else.
After watching Decaprio in Titanic, Catch Me if you can, etc etc, he just doesn't give me the credibility to be a tough, frustrated aged cop. He's still gives me that "Kid Mentality" I guess. He's great for romantic movies, but as a tough wise guy, I just can't see it. Granted he did do "Gangs of New York", but I just don't know.

They are going to alter the story, it's now set in Boston.

They shoulda just stuck with brad Pitt and Johnny Depp.
Old 2004-08-04, 14:01   Link #16
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

johnny depp would've been good..
i was thinking more along the lines of Nicholas Cage.. but he's already done the "undercover cop acting as mob-boss" routine one too many times...

Old 2004-08-04, 14:14   Link #17
kamij0

Danny de Vito could be the triad boss .. same height and size
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 08:43   Link #18
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

I saw Infernal Affairs in the cinema here in Sweden, it was really good! And I was surprised that they showed a Cantonese movie that wasn't a Kung Fu-flick!

Anyways, I'll probably get the remaining parts of the trilogy from a friend of mine, who has them on VCD/DVD.

And by the way, didn't you think it sort of reminded of the movie Donnie Brasco? Not the plot or anything, just the "I'm a good guy under cover as a bad guy"-thing.
Gravi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 01:08   Link #19
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
I saw them talk about this show on TV. The show is that Hollywood entertainment show "Entertainment Tonight". They said how it would be in theatres soon and how Martin Schorsese (I can't spell his name ) is making a remake invilving Matt Damon, Dicaprio, and Brad Pitt. Pitt is in teh production team only though.

I am excited to see that this movie is being plugged because of the remake. It may even compell more people to see the original!
anime_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 01:27   Link #20
cdiesel12

Send a message via AIM to cdiesel12
this was a good moive i still need to finish of the series though
cdiesel12 is offline   Reply With Quote