AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-05, 00:11   Link #1
avmoghe

Episode 20 - Journey to Freiham

Anime Kraze just released.

I am amazed at how this series can go from what I felt was the best episode in the series so far (episode 19) to one of the worst episode of the series.

I felt that this episode was as bad as episode 13 or episode 8. If these new characters ever come back and are an important part of the monster story, then I'll eat my words. But as it stands, I cannot fathom any purpose these characters can possibly serve.

Deiter, as well, should've been left behind...put into either the foster home with the nice lady, or left in village in episode 13. Deiter is nothing more than a side character... his connection to the main conflict isn't anywhere near as concrete as Tenma, Nina, or even Lunge. I am perplexed at why the series insists on taking this side character and making him out to be a main one.

I just hope others like it better than I did.
Old 2004-09-05, 02:05   Link #2
Silence_Fish

Send a message via AIM to Silence_Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe

Deiter, as well, should've been left behind...put into either the foster home with the nice lady, or left in village in episode 13. Deiter is nothing more than a side character... his connection to the main conflict isn't anywhere near as concrete as Tenma, Nina, or even Lunge. I am perplexed at why the series insists on taking this side character and making him out to be a main one.
I agree, Deiter's outlived his usefulness, if he ever had any.
Old 2004-09-05, 12:49   Link #3
midnightsun337

This episode was OK... nothing amazing but it had its moments.
Spoiler:

so yea, it was a slow episode.. but not completely useless.
Old 2004-09-05, 18:18   Link #4
hooliganj
Team Player

Since Nina, Lunge and Tenma are all out to get someone, Deiter serves as the innocent in the story. If you can't figure out why that's important, then you might miss out on a lot of the themes presented in the story. Right now what Deiter represents is more important than the boy himself, although that won't neccesarily hold true throughout.

I liked this episode, and episode 13. On the surface, they were both stories about people, plain and simple. I'll withhold comment about their overall significance, but even taken just as they were, they were fun to watch.
Old 2004-09-06, 04:11   Link #5
Soul Bro Ryu
Your Neighborhood Newtype

Send a message via ICQ to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via AIM to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via MSN to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via Yahoo to Soul Bro Ryu
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Since Nina, Lunge and Tenma are all out to get someone, Deiter serves as the innocent in the story. If you can't figure out why that's important, then you might miss out on a lot of the themes presented in the story. Right now what Deiter represents is more important than the boy himself, although that won't neccesarily hold true throughout.

I liked this episode, and episode 13. On the surface, they were both stories about people, plain and simple. I'll withhold comment about their overall significance, but even taken just as they were, they were fun to watch.
Well said. Sor far I haven't had much to complain about the series (except when they sometimes cram 3 manga chapters into a 22 minutes). And granted, if this show was 13 episodes, an OVA, or a movie adaptation, all these embelishing little gaidens would have been stripped down or removed completely.

Some folks here have been griping that Monster has too many diversions in it's episode run, but apparently they rather watch a soulless stripped down version of an adaptation of an excellent manga than something that could actually bring those awesome pages to life. The anime has been ever so failthful to the manga and I'm grateful to the staff at Madhouse for treating this property with the respect it deserves. Some of the main things that make "Monster" so appealing is it's well fleshed out storyline and the freedom it has to immerse itself into the plot and it's characters. "Journey to Frieham" is not filler, by the way, for anyone that might make that assumption - it's only one chapter, but they extend the story a bit to 22 minutes with more dialogue and cinematics that improve on the original. Just like what was done in "The Fifth Spoonful of Sugar" (one of the series best stories and eps) and "The Ex- Soldier and the Little Girl". Anyting that billows the experience that is Monster, get nothing but props from me.

But I can relate too. The fact the most are watching the anime week-by-week just want to see things get to a point - and quickly! Otherwise you start to wonder when a real plot twist will take place. Hell, I even feel a little sorry for any impatient Japanese who were reading chapters week-after-week for seven years before the series came to conclusion. I was lucky to find the Mangascreener version of the manga just as they were finishing it, so I didn't have to wait long to find out how things ended up - and now because of that reading, I watch the anime leisurely waiting for my favorite stories to be animated.

Just a bit of warning; there's a LOT MORE Gaiden-episodes in the future, so if you if this pace well-developed characters and plot is killing you, it might be best to bow out the series for awhile and after 10 eps, get caught and get that fix of action-satisfaction. And if you want to take it to the extreme, read the manga and then go back to the anime. You just might have a bit more appreciation for it, then.

By the way, if you think "Monster" is frustrating, forget about touching "20th Century Boys". When that gets animated, I can only imagine the gripes I'll see up here about many eps. A shame, really, since both series are ahead of their time.
Old 2004-09-06, 05:04   Link #6
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Bro Ryu
Well said. Sor far I haven't had much to complain about the series (except when they sometimes cram 3 manga chapters into a 22 minutes). And granted, if this show was 13 episodes, an OVA, or a movie adaptation, all these embelishing little gaidens would have been stripped down or removed completely.

Some folks here have been griping that Monster has too many diversions in it's episode run, but apparently they rather watch a soulless stripped down version of an adaptation of an excellent manga than something that could actually bring those awesome pages to life. The anime has been ever so failthful to the manga and I'm grateful to the staff at Madhouse for treating this property with the respect it deserves. Some of the main things that make "Monster" so appealing is it's well fleshed out storyline and the freedom it has to immerse itself into the plot and it's characters. "Journey to Frieham" is not filler, by the way, for anyone that might make that assumption - it's only one chapter, but they extend the story a bit to 22 minutes with more dialogue and cinematics that improve on the original. Just like what was done in "The Fifth Spoonful of Sugar" (one of the series best stories and eps) and "The Ex- Soldier and the Little Girl". Anyting that billows the experience that is Monster, get nothing but props from me.

But I can relate too. The fact the most are watching the anime week-by-week just want to see things get to a point - and quickly! Otherwise you start to wonder when a real plot twist will take place. Hell, I even feel a little sorry for any impatient Japanese who were reading chapters week-after-week for seven years before the series came to conclusion. I was lucky to find the Mangascreener version of the manga just as they were finishing it, so I didn't have to wait long to find out how things ended up - and now because of that reading, I watch the anime leisurely waiting for my favorite stories to be animated.

Just a bit of warning; there's a LOT MORE Gaiden-episodes in the future, so if you if this pace well-developed characters and plot is killing you, it might be best to bow out the series for awhile and after 10 eps, get caught and get that fix of action-satisfaction. And if you want to take it to the extreme, read the manga and then go back to the anime. You just might have a bit more appreciation for it, then.

By the way, if you think "Monster" is frustrating, forget about touching "20th Century Boys". When that gets animated, I can only imagine the gripes I'll see up here about many eps. A shame, really, since both series are ahead of their time.
Well put. I couldn't agree more with you. You have stated the same thing I said on other monster's thread, but this time you said it much clearer.

I don't have any complains about the series so far. I have enjoyed all its episodes. On top of that I haven't read the manga. So I guess I can assume that monster is surely my type of anime.

Monster is right on my top ten list of best anime of all time, in position number #8 it is sharing the spot with lain. But if it keeps getting better and better... Oh well. It will be a good bye Lain then...
Old 2004-09-07, 15:51   Link #7
Ri_
mangaworm

Quote:
I agree, Deiter's outlived his usefulness, if he ever had any.
But, Dr. Schumann (ep 12) said, that Dieter should stick along with Tenma as to "prevent him turning into a Monster himself", now that Tenma the samaritan has set his mind to kill Johan...
Old 2004-09-07, 16:25   Link #8
Soul Bro Ryu
Your Neighborhood Newtype

Send a message via ICQ to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via AIM to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via MSN to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via Yahoo to Soul Bro Ryu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri_
But, Dr. Schumann (ep 12) said, that Dieter should stick along with Tenma as to "prevent him turning into a Monster himself", now that Tenma the samaritan has set his mind to kill Johan...
(Teeming with sarcasm)

But as far as some are concerned, Ep. 12 was a lackluster ep with no value whatsoever. Any kind of insight or observations of Tenma's character are just not worth the time to explore.

Makes me wonder what folks will say when Dr. Tenma-

Spoiler:

Can't wait. ^_^
Old 2004-09-07, 17:48   Link #9
Ri_
mangaworm

Well, other than that, I personally see Dieter useful from a storytelling point of view. As a child he may ask and say things aloud which the grown up cast may not. Otherwise, he keeps the series from getting too gloomy, which may not contribute to the main conflict, but I find a good thing anyway. A little bit of cute shan't hurt the series. ^__^
Old 2004-09-07, 21:52   Link #10
avmoghe

Is there supposed to be a hint included in that?

I hope to God not.

If Deiter ends up stopping Tenma from killing Johan by pleading "you will become a monster if you kill him".. my rating of the show as a whole goes down by an entire grade, possibly more.
Old 2004-09-08, 01:59   Link #11
musouka

Quote:
If Deiter ends up stopping Tenma from killing Johan by pleading "you will become a monster if you kill him".. my rating of the show as a whole goes down by an entire grade, possibly more.
Spoiler:
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-09-08, 17:59   Link #12
Marduk
Shitennô no Hitori

And his name is Dieter, not Deiter.
Closed Thread